Banning Newspapers

Nookie Bear

Yes, this is sour grapes but I have felt this for a lot longer than before Sunday. 

It really pisses me off that we welcome certain publications to Tynecastle knowing that they go out of their way to print negative and unnecessary stories about us.

In the last two days we have a completely untrue story about our players not applauding Celtic. This may seem trivial but is really an attack on how we behave as a club and should not be tolerated. 

Now they give bandwidth to an English referee saying Naismith should be red carded retrospectively. Why do this?

In a world where no fans are allowed to attend and yet many thousands of Hearts fans have dug deeper than they really should, I propose that we remove the right of all newspapers to attend and give their media passes to deserving fans (and there are thousands ahead of me on that score!)    

In fact, let NHS workers sit in the media seats instead of some Scotsman or Daily Record hack. Easy. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• davemclaren

• Mikey1874

• Gorgie Boot boy

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Does anyone still read newspapers? Last time I got one was in about 2015.

Exactly. Plus journalist only get in at the moment because of their job. You can’t just replace them with supporters or NHS workers. 

I think it’s gone beyond us maintaining a professional stance and being the bigger guy, it’s now a piss take and it’s time to stop lying down to it.  

9 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Does anyone still read newspapers? Last time I got one was in about 2015.

Precisely. 

We should invite Kickbackers to attend and provide updates live from the ground. Even give them a chance to meet Robbie and a couple of players afterwards as well. 

Whose club is this?

I understand your anger, however banning the press is not the answer.

It is never the answer.

Before anyone pipes up. Sevco banned the BBC from Ibrox.

No they did not. They withdrew Chris McLaughlin's press privileges from Ibrox in protest about a piece he did on Sevco and bigotry.

As a result McLaughlin's colleagues decided to boycott Glasgow in support of him over Sevco's actions.

On an official capacity no one at Ibrox does interviews with the BBC.

Unofficially, Chic Dung's phone never stops bleating when the Govan gobshites want something out there.

Banning them plays into their hands as they then become the martyrs/victims.

If you think they are bad now, it's nothing compared to when the press are in victim mode.

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Exactly. Plus journalist only get in at the moment because of their job. You can’t just replace them with supporters or NHS workers. 

Give me solutions, Dave, not problems!

Leave the seats empty, if necessary, but I bet we could get around this if we wanted to.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I understand your anger, however banning the press is not the answer.

It is never the answer.

Before anyone pipes up. Sevco banned the BBC from Ibrox.

No they did not. They withdrew Chris McLaughlin's press privileges from Ibrox in protest about a piece he did on Sevco and bigotry.

As a result McLaughlin's colleagues decided to boycott Glasgow in support of him over Sevco's actions.

On an official capacity no one at Ibrox does interviews with the BBC.

Unofficially, Chic Dung's phone never stops bleating when the Govan gobshites want something out there.

Banning them plays into their hands as they then become the martyrs/victims.

If you think they are bad now, it's nothing compared to when the press are in victim mode.

Genuine question: what do we have to lose? What do we gain from certain newspapers anyway?

The papers can’t harm us but they take up seats and attention when there are more deserving people out there 

Edited by Nookie Bear

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Give me solutions, Dave, not problems!

Leave the seats empty, if necessary, but I bet we could get around this if we wanted to.

You can certainly leave them empty assuming there is no SPFL agreement to let journalists in. 

However, we would look a bit daft imo. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Genuine question: what do we have to lose? What do we gain from certain newspapers anyway?

The papers can’t harm us but they take up seats and attention when there are more deserving people out there 

The papers do harm us. Sadly there are to many who are more than willing to believe what they publish and that is just our own support, never mind opposition supporters, who will always believe any negative story about their fiercest rival and opposition. 

Gorgie Boot boy

Newspapers are good for two things.

One is for an outer layer for a chip supper.

The other oozes out of certain peoples back and front sides

Ex member of the SaS

Has any publication posted a retraction to the false allegations? They are quick enough to hammer us but way too slow to admit they were wrong.

2 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

The club could at least refute the allegations and embarrass the individuals concerned.

I agree they should do that for anything ‘outrageously untrue’. 

Instinctively, banning the press fills me with dread. 
Empirically, most of the press since the final has been very positive so really you’re wanting shot of the bad press - not all of it. That’s a wee bit sycophantic. 
A solution to me is that we make our press output better.

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Don't think we can ban journos outright.... but what would get my vote is banning the Scottish red tops and get in some of the English papers (that don't already attend)... then maybe we'll get some impartial reporting. Could even get some of their refs while we're at it.

I don't think banning papers or journalists from Tynie is going to make them write less shite about us. 

Best just ignore them. I can't remember the last time I bought a paper, possibly more than 10 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

The club could at least refute the allegations and embarrass the individuals concerned.

Agree, I wish we did more to discredit some of these hacks.

Get them to ****. Been on our case non stop since at least Vlad. The EEN, Scotsman and daily record should be the first three to be told where to go. 

Yes this is partly about punishing media outlets that go out of their way to have a go at us. We ban fans for damaging the reputation of the club so why not media?

It is also about looking after our own and Hearts need to fight back on things like this. 

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What's Craig Fowler all about? Hearts man, my arse. 

Trying to make a name for himself?... even if it was true, it's a total NON-STORY. WTAF? It's just trying to sullie Hearts name for the sake of it. Strange behaviour and if this passes as journalism these days, then newspapers should just cease to exist. 

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Trying to make a name for himself?... even if it was true, it's a total NON-STORY. WTAF? It's just trying to sullie Hearts name for the sake of it. Strange behaviour and if this passes as journalism these days, then newspapers should just cease to exist. 

That’s my plan 😉

I have mentioned this on other threads but I stopped buying Scottish rags a couple of months back.  I am now buying the Daily Mirror on a Saturday which is all English football but I'd rather read that than the utter drivel written in Sun, Record etc etc etc.  I do buy the Sunday Post as I love the nostalgia sections.  It's terrible that as a Hearts fan I feel driven away from the Scottish publications.  Much like I feel driven away after the commentary on Sunday.  Only Hearts.  

Strangely enough I thought Chris McLaughlin was alright at the weekend. 

I think quiet contempt is the best approach. 

Easy enough to brush them off. But likes of Craig Fowler should be held accountable for repeating a lie.

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Every time there's a bad result or decision it's paranoia central.

Ann Budge is never going to ban the media :lol: 

nah it’s nothing to do with the result, it’s a newspaper printing lies and they should be banned until we get a proper apology at the very least. 

Budge will never pursue it, of course, even though she was on the end of some ridiculous “journalism” over the summer. 

28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Should have his season ticket cancelled. 

Is he on here? If so, he needs to get on here to explain himself. 

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

nah it’s nothing to do with the result, it’s a newspaper printing lies and they should be banned until we get a proper apology at the very least. 

Budge will never pursue it, of course, even though she was on the end of some ridiculous “journalism” over the summer. 

wasn’t directed at your op completely mate and I actually disliked posting on the thread you’ve created.  Banning the Falkirk herald won’t change stuff in the grand scheme of things though. Banning all media is just petty imo.  

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Is he on here? If so, he needs to get on here to explain himself. 

I think along the same lines as you on this, we are the people he needs to explain himself to.

Let's have none of this nonsense about banning bits of the press from Tynecastle. How very Old Firm.

I've bought a newspaper pretty well every day since I left school in the early 70s.

It's become fashionable for people to criticise the 'mainstream media' and rely on social media, without realising that such platforms are carefully designed to provide an echo chamber that amplifies your own prejudices and opinions.

The press in this country has taken a hammering as many titles have lost revenue having failed to adapt to the internet age. The quality of reporting has often nosedived, as some papers can no longer afford to devote resources to uncovering inconvenient facts. We are all the poorer for that. 

#buyapaper 

Keep faith with the BBC while you are at it. Maybe read some George Orwell over Christmas. Waken up and stay awake.

12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

wasn’t directed at your op completely mate and I actually disliked posting on the thread you’ve created.  Banning the Falkirk herald won’t change stuff in the grand scheme of things though. Banning all media is just petty imo.  

Yeah I know it’s not really a sensible approach and I doubt I would have bothered had we won. 

Just don’t see what the media offers us tbh

jambos are go!

The freedom of the press is paramount and must be protected despite its imperfections. Never forget that two 2 young reporters brought down Richard Nixon despite all the establishment vitriol thrown at them and their newspaper.

10 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

The freedom of the press is paramount and must be protected despite its imperfections. Never forget that two 2 young reporters brought down Richard Nixon despite all the establishment vitriol thrown at them and their newspaper.

So who are the journalists in Scotland probing the Celtic child abuse cases? 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes, this is sour grapes but I have felt this for a lot longer than before Sunday. 

It really pisses me off that we welcome certain publications to Tynecastle knowing that they go out of their way to print negative and unnecessary stories about us.

In the last two days we have a completely untrue story about our players not applauding Celtic. This may seem trivial but is really an attack on how we behave as a club and should not be tolerated. 

Now they give bandwidth to an English referee saying Naismith should be red carded retrospectively. Why do this?

In a world where no fans are allowed to attend and yet many thousands of Hearts fans have dug deeper than they really should, I propose that we remove the right of all newspapers to attend and give their media passes to deserving fans (and there are thousands ahead of me on that score!)    

In fact, let NHS workers sit in the media seats instead of some Scotsman or Daily Record hack. Easy. 

Banning the Press is a road to be avoided. It’s leads to bad places. It’s the preserve of dictatorships.

Simply refuse to read the paper. If enough people do the same, they lose market share and any sense of worth.

Papers are made to sell by almost any means necessary. Whatever paper you’re referring to would be pleased they have created a thread on Kickback.

21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah I know it’s not really a sensible approach and I doubt I would have bothered had we won. 

Just don’t see what the media offers us tbh

I know mate. 

5 minutes ago, inspector said:

Trying to remember if Hib's players applauded us after the 2012 final. Doubt O'Connor did 

The fact they were there to watch it is good enough for me. 😎

Not quite the same but when I look at websites like bbc Scotland, if a story is about rangers or Celtic, most of them are. I never click on it.  If they are on TV I don't watch them.

The less I know about them the better.  If they all walked into my house the only one I would recognise is brown and that's only because he is phenomenally ugly.  Come to think of it I would also recognise Griffiths.

Kidd’s Boots
15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can I remind members that confining criminal acts or acts of violence are against the forum rules. 

I hope that condoning them is against the rules too!

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The fact they were there to watch it is good enough for me. 😎

It's the double standards that annoys me the most, but l suppose we should be used to it now sadly

This was a great opportunity for Hearts social media to post a photo and an "oh uh-huh?" Tweet but we seem to have decided not to bother since the summer...

35 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Let's have none of this nonsense about banning bits of the press from Tynecastle. How very Old Firm.

I've bought a newspaper pretty well every day since I left school in the early 70s.

It's become fashionable for people to criticise the 'mainstream media' and rely on social media, without realising that such platforms are carefully designed to provide an echo chamber that amplifies your own prejudices and opinions.

The press in this country has taken a hammering as many titles have lost revenue having failed to adapt to the internet age. The quality of reporting has often nosedived, as some papers can no longer afford to devote resources to uncovering inconvenient facts. We are all the poorer for that. 

#buyapaper 

Keep faith with the BBC while you are at it. Maybe read some George Orwell over Christmas. Waken up and stay awake.

Totally agree👍However it would be relatively easy to find a ‘pet’ journalist and give him/her exclusives as long as they print it ‘as told’. All other journalists will then be behind the curve and we can readily id and restrict access to the twisters and false news vendors. 

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So who are the journalists in Scotland probing the Celtic child abuse cases? 

This sums up Scottish Football journalism in a nutshell. Only English papers are covering this as far as I can see. Absolutley shameful.