Banning Newspapers

Nookie Bear

All these nonsensical stories are published to get a reaction on social media and forums such as this one.

The reaction on here is exactly what's required to generate a story in a story, which in turn generates funds. 

It's best ignored but that'll unfortunately never happen.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• davemclaren

• Mikey1874

• Gorgie Boot boy

We shouldn’t just take some of the lies written about our club At the very least I’d like Hearts to put out some sort of communication calling out pieces that are written , littered with falsehoods. 

PS surely when we’re allowed back into the stadium we severely limit the old firm ticket allocation. 

13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

This was a great opportunity for Hearts social media to post a photo and an "oh uh-huh?" Tweet but we seem to have decided not to bother since the summer...

That would have been a very effective way to debunk it. 

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes, this is sour grapes but I have felt this for a lot longer than before Sunday. 

It really pisses me off that we welcome certain publications to Tynecastle knowing that they go out of their way to print negative and unnecessary stories about us.

In the last two days we have a completely untrue story about our players not applauding Celtic. This may seem trivial but is really an attack on how we behave as a club and should not be tolerated. 

Now they give bandwidth to an English referee saying Naismith should be red carded retrospectively. Why do this?

In a world where no fans are allowed to attend and yet many thousands of Hearts fans have dug deeper than they really should, I propose that we remove the right of all newspapers to attend and give their media passes to deserving fans (and there are thousands ahead of me on that score!)    

In fact, let NHS workers sit in the media seats instead of some Scotsman or Daily Record hack. Easy. 

I agree with you Nookie but I hadn’t heard about the English referee, that’s shocking stuff man.

We’re getting the pish ripped out of us from all angles and we need to start hitting back hard.

12 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

All these nonsensical stories are published to get a reaction on social media and forums such as this one.

The reaction on here is exactly what's required to generate a story in a story, which in turn generates funds. 

It's best ignored but that'll unfortunately never happen.

Of course, and we can’t help but rise to it like any other football fan. Plus we are part of social media by posting on here and interacting with Twitter etc

But...why do we reserve seats for media outlets that post “nonsensical” stories against the club? Just feel those seats should go to more deserving parties. I am sure the media would welcome the initiative in these difficult times 😉

When John Colquhoun played for us he was the most fouled player in the premier league ( i’m sure i read that somewhere). Whilst reading a match report after a game against one of the bigot brothers, the “ journalist “ claimed that Colquhoun had taken a dive. I have never bought a paper since apart from when we won the cup.

I wouldn't ban them.

But exclusives... get them to ****. Things like Budge sitting down with the EEN to talk about transfer funds, plans etc. All the club is doing is contributing towards a really shit newspaper that has little integrity left. Just post stories on the club website (and make the website/news design/interface a lot better).

Edited by kila

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

So who are the journalists in Scotland probing the Celtic child abuse cases? 

The Times and Guardian have periodically printed articles on it.  Both English based of course.  No way the Weegia will dare to print anything or they'll have the Celtic rent-a-mob at their door.

12 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Club just need to start to call them out for it. They will always print shite about us. 

That's correct. Take them to task, show them the evidence and demand a public apology.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

This was a great opportunity for Hearts social media to post a photo and an "oh uh-huh?" Tweet but we seem to have decided not to bother since the summer...

The club have generally been pretty good at pointing out media bullshit but seem to have missed this one. More focused on the efforts of the players than some never-was like Irons. 

And no, we shouldn’t be banning the press. Just pointing out lies when they’re printed or said. 

south morroccan
25 minutes ago, Zico said:

The club have generally been pretty good at pointing out media bullshit but seem to have missed this one. More focused on the efforts of the players than some never-was like Irons. 

And no, we shouldn’t be banning the press. Just pointing out lies when they’re printed or said. 

On this occasion Fowler has been called out by two of his fellow journalists (Jamie Borthwick and Ewan Murray) on twitter. Knowing that his colleagues think him a useless hack will hopefully be more effective in changing his behaviour than a statement from Hearts.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I have mentioned this on other threads but I stopped buying Scottish rags a couple of months back.  I am now buying the Daily Mirror on a Saturday which is all English football but I'd rather read that than the utter drivel written in Sun, Record etc etc etc.  I do buy the Sunday Post as I love the nostalgia sections.  It's terrible that as a Hearts fan I feel driven away from the Scottish publications.  Much like I feel driven away after the commentary on Sunday.  Only Hearts.  

Doesn't the Mirror (manc loving rag) own the rantic?

jambos are go!
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

So who are the journalists in Scotland probing the Celtic child abuse cases? 

How and who brought it to your attention?

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Before anyone pipes up. Sevco banned the BBC from Ibrox.

No they did not. They withdrew Chris McLaughlin's press privileges from Ibrox in protest about a piece he did on Sevco and bigotry.

As a result McLaughlin's colleagues decided to boycott Glasgow in support of him over Sevco's actions.

Sevco banned McLaughlin because he deliberately edited an interview to make it look like McCoist was laughing at comments on bigotry. BBC Scotland stood by him and they effectively stopped attending Ibrox in support.

Sevco were daft as the baldy twat was trolling them but they couldn't help themselves jumping right in.

McLaughlin has since moved up the tree at the Beeb so it's done his career no harm.

50 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Sevco banned McLaughlin because he deliberately edited an interview to make it look like McCoist was laughing at comments on bigotry. BBC Scotland stood by him and they effectively stopped attending Ibrox in support.

Sevco were daft as the baldy twat was trolling them but they couldn't help themselves jumping right in.

McLaughlin has since moved up the tree at the Beeb so it's done his career no harm.

Sorry but why would the BBC think trolling McCoist about bigotry is a good use of public funds?

They were right to ban him if that’s the case. 

I’ll say it again, why do we give free seats to a group of people who are there to look for an angle, usually negative in our case? 

Edited by Nookie Bear

40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sorry but why would the BBC think trolling McCoist about bigotry is a good use of public funds?

I’ll say it again, why do we give free seats to a group of people who are there to look for an angle, usually negative in our case? 

That's not the reason. 

McLaughlin made a big deal out of sectarian singing at a game. Rangers felt that while there might have been some singing he was making too big a deal and it was unrepresentative of the actual game and he had an agenda. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Because BBC Scotland is full of celtc supporting trolls who know they have the power to set the narrative - whether it is dumping on sevco, or sweeping aside the rights of Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer, or basically any behaviour whatsoever whenever it suits celtc's agenda?

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

:spoton:

Some of the goons posting in this thread should try living in a dictatorship.

Just opening a dialogue on the value of our media. There is an assumption that we should all invite them to the ground, give them access and our time but the way media works has moved on and it’s now all about sound bites, agendas and very little to do with actually reporting. 

Why do they need that kind of access in the modern age?

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Exactly. Plus journalist only get in at the moment because of their job. You can’t just replace them with supporters or NHS workers. 

Bet they could write just as good a piece as some of the 5hit3 that’s written about us. Couldn’t be any worse that’s for sure 

17 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

The club could at least refute the allegations and embarrass the individuals concerned.

Never, ever, ever.... argue with an idiot (the newspapers).

It looks like an easy win, "your wrong, here's why blah blah", but before you know it you knee deep in bullshit

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Calm down, mate, keep your mask on 😉

Nice one. Point still stands. Political bull is for The Shed.

Meanwhile, re banning newspapers, if you go on any supporters forum anywhere in the world I can guarantee you’ll find fans whining about the coverage they get. 
Believing there’s some great conspiracy among reporters to single out your team for special negative treatment is commonplace, and it’s nonsense.

husref musemic

I'd rather we banned (at least a decade) :

1) Doncaster.

2) maxwell & the SFA.

3) Nelms & all Dundee officials in perpetuity.

4) All the "officials" that voted to expel us - especially the one's who told us to STFU. 

5) dempster.

6) away fans - absolute minimum from now on. No exceptions.

7) All celtic officials  

8.  St Mirren for many many reasons & any of the other b@stards I've forgotten from the past year.

Edited by husref musemic

1 hour ago, S Form said:

Nice one. Point still stands. Political bull is for The Shed.

Meanwhile, re banning newspapers, if you go on any supporters forum anywhere in the world I can guarantee you’ll find fans whining about the coverage they get. 
Believing there’s some great conspiracy among reporters to single out your team for special negative treatment is commonplace, and it’s nonsense.

👍🏻

Just don’t believe there is any need to give them leg room anymore. They can watch the games live, they can contact the players and officials by phone...so why be there and catered for?

And in these times I would rather clubs explored ways of giving those seats to more deserving people, not journalists who are happy to shoot us down to make a quick buck. 

15 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

I'd rather we banned (at least a decade) :

1) Doncaster.

2) maxwell & the SFA.

3) Nelms & all Dundee officials in perpetuity.

4) All the "officials" that voted to expel us - especially the one's who told us to STFU. 

5) dempster.

6) away fans - absolute minimum from now on. No exceptions.

7) All celtic officials  

8.  St Mirren for many many reasons & any of the other b@stards I've forgotten from the past year.

9) Leigh Griffiths. Ban him like we do with the racists in our own support. 

husref musemic
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

9) Leigh Griffiths. Ban him like we do with the racists in our own support. 

10) Murdoch MacLennan - He fronted up the 'spam email" lie & got away with it ffs.

16 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Doesn't the Mirror (manc loving rag) own the rantic?

Not sure,.  What I do know is that sports pages are not full of ex OF players having pops at Hearts.  

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

👍🏻

Just don’t believe there is any need to give them leg room anymore. They can watch the games live, they can contact the players and officials by phone...so why be there and catered for?

And in these times I would rather clubs explored ways of giving those seats to more deserving people, not journalists who are happy to shoot us down to make a quick buck. 

Agree that in these times of rapidly changing media, we need to be a wee bit more imaginative in terms of access we give to different outlets. Whether we like it or not, though, the MSM are still dominant when it comes to coverage of Scottish football, so it makes sense to keep giving them access - while playing the PR game as smartly as we can.

21 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I understand your anger, however banning the press is not the answer.

It is never the answer.

No they did not. They withdrew Chris McLaughlin's press privileges from Ibrox in protest about a piece he did on Sevco and bigotry.

As a result McLaughlin's colleagues decided to boycott Glasgow in support of him over Sevco's actions.

On an official capacity no one at Ibrox does interviews with the BBC.

Unofficially, Chic Dung's phone never stops bleating when the Govan gobshites want something out there.

Banning them plays into their hands as they then become the martyrs/victims.

If you think they are bad now, it's nothing compared to when the press are in victim mode.

The BBC/Rangers thing is pathetic . I do think the journalist's embargo was correct . Rangers see themselves as a big club but continue with this petty nonsense . How many years now ?

21 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I understand your anger, however banning the press is not the answer.

It is never the answer.

On an official capacity no one at Ibrox does interviews with the BBC.

Unofficially, Chic Dung's phone never stops bleating when the Govan gobshites want something out there.

Banning them plays into their hands as they then become the martyrs/victims.

If you think they are bad now, it's nothing compared to when the press are in victim mode.

Sensible response.  

19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That would have been a very effective way to debunk it. 

I don't want HMFC social media to post a photo of us applauding Celtic mhanks.  

17 hours ago, south morroccan said:

On this occasion Fowler has been called out by two of his fellow journalists (Jamie Borthwick and Ewan Murray) on twitter. Knowing that his colleagues think him a useless hack will hopefully be more effective in changing his behaviour than a statement from Hearts.

Absolutely.  The club must retain a dignified stance.  Sometimes saying nothing is more effective that rising to the bait and jumping up and down.

Despite valid criticisms on here of "fake stories", there are still a number of good journalists out there who are on our side.

1 Make them pay for their seats

2 Insist on proof that they are active journalists.

I overheard a conversation between two guys who met each other, as I was queueing to get into Tynie. One was working for a paper, the other had a press card but was no longer in journalism. He thought it hilarious that he could still get into Hearts games for free!!

21 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Can I remind members that confining criminal acts or acts of violence are against the forum rules. 

Sometimes JKB makes me wonder if autocorrect is being used and missed by the poster or something else is amiss. I also wonder when a possible error is highlighted this is not addressed and rectified where required.

Confining myself to the topic now, I would suggest that where blatant lies are peddled by the media a strong act of proving them wrong via the main stream and social media platforms is the way to go. 

If we were not living in a PC driven age invite them to Tynecastle and offer them a meal of Bananas, monkey nuts, all washed down with some Umbongo. 

6 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Sometimes JKB makes me wonder if autocorrect is being used and missed by the poster or something else is amiss. I also wonder when a possible error is highlighted this is not addressed and rectified where required.

Confining myself to the topic now, I would suggest that where blatant lies are peddled by the media a strong act of proving them wrong via the main stream and social media platforms is the way to go. 

If we were not living in a PC driven age invite them to Tynecastle and offer them a meal of Bananas, monkey nuts, all washed down with some Umbongo. 

Well spotted. I think it must be autocorrect as I meant to post ‘condoning’. The f is next to the d in querty. 

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Well spotted. I think it must be autocorrect as I meant to post ‘condoning’. The f is next to the d in querty. 

is the u next to the w ?🤭

On 22/12/2020 at 16:03, Nookie Bear said:

Of course, and we can’t help but rise to it like any other football fan. Plus we are part of social media by posting on here and interacting with Twitter etc

But...why do we reserve seats for media outlets that post “nonsensical” stories against the club? Just feel those seats should go to more deserving parties. I am sure the media would welcome the initiative in these difficult times 😉

Or put hedgehogs on their seats.

for years the Glasgow GIants? ,Have always put pressure on refs, journalists, TV pundits etc if they say anything against them. this does work into the psyche of those concerned. It does affect decisions,,opinions and how they report games. It's time for Hearts as a club to react to thisband try to pressure all concerned. be nasty Hearts , being nice does not work....

Doctor FinnBarr
14 hours ago, jambali said:

1 Make them pay for their seats

2 Insist on proof that they are active journalists.

I overheard a conversation between two guys who met each other, as I was queueing to get into Tynie. One was working for a paper, the other had a press card but was no longer in journalism. He thought it hilarious that he could still get into Hearts games for free!!

You could've report him as no longer being a journalist!

On 22/12/2020 at 14:12, ri Alban said:

What's Craig Fowler all about? Hearts man, my arse. 

On 22/12/2020 at 14:25, Rogue Daddy said:

Trying to make a name for himself?... even if it was true, it's a total NON-STORY. WTAF? It's just trying to sullie Hearts name for the sake of it. Strange behaviour and if this passes as journalism these days, then newspapers should just cease to exist. 

On 22/12/2020 at 14:49, ri Alban said:

Is he on here? If so, he needs to get on here to explain himself. 

On 22/12/2020 at 14:51, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I think along the same lines as you on this, we are the people he needs to explain himself to.

Hi there! Craig Fowler here; just wanting to explain myself. I was asked to fire out a quick bit of click-bait about the Hearts players disrespect for the deserved quadruple tripple champions and simply didn't have time to check the veracity of the potentially libelous story. No need to really as Davie Irons is a stand-up guy, as are my colleagues on the Falkirk Herald (and all journalists including myself, of course). In any case, I was way too busy thinking up smart arsed quips for 'A View from the Terrace' and tending to my rather magnificent barnet to be bothered with shedding any light on defamatory allegations. Some folks seem to think that makes me a juvinilistic nacissist who prefers the cut-and-paste approach rather than putting in hard graft but, believe me, googling what someone else has reported isn't as easy as you'd imagine it to be. Anyhow, I'm off to conjure up some more witty ripostes for AVftT so remember to tune in, have a good laugh, and admire my carefully tousled hirsuit bonce; talking of which I only ever use L'Oreal products because, as I'm sure you'll agree, I'm worth it. I sincerely hope that clears up any misunderstanding and here's a wee clap for the gallant losers who weren't quite good enough, eh? 👏👏👏 #Respect! 😉

20201224_051436.jpg

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

You could've report him as no longer being a journalist!

Too keen to get into Tynie to watch the famous!!

Gorgie Boot boy
6 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Hi there! Craig Fowler here; just wanting to explain myself. I was asked to fire out a quick bit of click-bait about the Hearts players disrespect for the deserved quadruple tripple champions and simply didn't have time to check the veracity of the potentially libelous story. No need to really as Davie Irons is a stand-up guy, as are my colleagues on the Falkirk Herald (and all journalists including myself, of course). In any case, I was way too busy thinking up smart arsed quips for 'A View from the Terrace' and tending to my rather magnificent barnet to be bothered with shedding any light on defamatory allegations. Some folks seem to think that makes me a juvinilistic nacissist who prefers the cut-and-paste approach rather than putting in hard graft but, believe me, googling what someone else has reported isn't as easy as you'd imagine it to be. Anyhow, I'm off to conjure up some more witty ripostes for AVftT so remember to tune in, have a good laugh, and admire my carefully tousled hirsuit bonce; talking of which I only ever use L'Oreal products because, as I'm sure you'll agree, I'm worth it. I sincerely hope that clears up any misunderstanding and here's a wee clap for the gallant losers who weren't quite good enough, eh? 👏👏👏 #Respect! 😉

20201224_051436.jpg

Is that him ?

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, Robbofan99 said:

Do people actually read newspapers still ? I mean actually buy them ? I suppose they can come in handy for bog roll

The Pink was the only paper worth reading.

ma[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[.jpg

Backing my own reaction which is to give measured, polite rebuttals when they talk shite, the Leeds manager at his pre match press conference today was scathing in his criticism of the media. 

Basically for talking shite. The example being loads of media people saying Leeds need to change how they play after Leeds lost to Man Utd.

Right or wrong a very strong defence. But notably he said what the media say influences what clubs do. Criticism gets believed by and influences the fans. 

Doctor FinnBarr
9 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

20201224_051436.jpg

Nobody likes a smart arse.

:jj_facepalm:

9 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

20201224_051436.jpg

Looks like a young Peter Sutcliffe.