Jump to content

Jamie Walker


SteauaNeedarest

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Feel a bit sorry for lee.  He can pass the ball, unfortunately there is very little movement in front of him so has to pass sideways or backwards

Even Berra has the same issue. He gets slated for long aimless punts but watch his body language. Its regularly screaming out for someone to show for it, make a run etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Pasquale for King

    11

  • David McCaig

    6

  • Thomaso

    5

  • Lambo85

    5

Since Naismith and Berra were injured at the start of the 18/19 season we have lacked leadership on the pitch. Players like Walker need someone on their case constantly. Naismith seems to have lost interest recently, maybe Berra coming back will help to get the message across.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Even Berra has the same issue. He gets slated for long aimless punts but watch his body language. Its regularly screaming out for someone to show for it, make a run etc.

Like Lee or Walker?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Since Naismith and Berra were injured at the start of the 18/19 season we have lacked leadership on the pitch. Players like Walker need someone on their case constantly. Naismith seems to have lost interest recently, maybe Berra coming back will help to get the message across.

 

TBF, if Naismith is losing interest then that is a real worry. He is just about the only one to have a genuine will to win. Even when his performance is indifferent he is always on the lookout for an opportunity to score or create an assist for a team mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Since Naismith and Berra were injured at the start of the 18/19 season we have lacked leadership on the pitch. Players like Walker need someone on their case constantly. Naismith seems to have lost interest recently, maybe Berra coming back will help to get the message across.

I don’t want to question your hearing but his screaming on the pitch is just as prevalent now as it’s ever been, I had to explain to my wife what the noise was against Dunfermline. He’s not contributed much on the playing side though, I’m still not sure if anyone knows what our best formation is or how to play to get the best of the forward players we have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t want to question your hearing but his screaming on the pitch is just as prevalent now as it’s ever been, I had to explain to my wife what the noise was against Dunfermline. He’s not contributed much on the playing side though, I’m still not sure if anyone knows what our best formation is or how to play to get the best of the forward players we have. 

 

Fair enough. I'm pleased to hear that though I missed it myself. Berra and Naismith, as our two senior players, should getting together to sort out the players on the pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

 

Fair enough. I'm pleased to hear that though I missed it myself. Berra and Naismith, as our two senior players, should getting together to sort out the players on the pitch.

You would like to hope so but it didn’t happen last season either, some lost causes in there. I doubt if any players or manager could motivate guys like Walker, Roberts, Frear or Damour who just go through the motions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In our first league game of the season, he was superb playing as a number 10 in behind Boyce, with two wide players and in front of midfielders whose first instinct was to go forward.

 

That might be the only place he can play effectively now, so either party him there or leave him out

Link to post
Share on other sites
Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
3 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

In our first league game of the season, he was superb playing as a number 10 in behind Boyce, with two wide players and in front of midfielders whose first instinct was to go forward.

 

That might be the only place he can play effectively now, so either party him there or leave him out

That's the system that we should be playing every match, so Boyce isn't so isolated and we have wide players to stretch teams. Fannying about with walker and lee out wide is utter negligence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

That's the system that we should be playing every match, so Boyce isn't so isolated and we have wide players to stretch teams. Fannying about with walker and lee out wide is utter negligence.

The issue is, for me, an inflexibility to the formation when the needed players aren't available.  If we've not got two wide players, change formation to suit.

 

If we're going to stick with it regardless, you might need to pick less talented players (e.g Moore) rather than trying to shoehorn folk in out of position

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t want to question your hearing but his screaming on the pitch is just as prevalent now as it’s ever been, I had to explain to my wife what the noise was against Dunfermline. He’s not contributed much on the playing side though, I’m still not sure if anyone knows what our best formation is or how to play to get the best of the forward players we have. 

 

The problem is, and has been for a number of years, we sign too many players that are too similar to each other. The amount of defensive midfielders we've gone through in five years or so is crazy! From Bauben, Gomis, Nowak, Cowie, Kitchen, Tzolis, and plenty in-between from 2017 to now, in 2020 when we had Whelan and still have Damour. We now sign Halliday and it wouldn't surprise me if yet another one comes along. We don't sign attacking midfielders, we rely on the likes of Haring to get forward. Most of the younger midfielders could technically be called defensive midfielders as well. Cochrane, Irving and the latest...McGill. Halkett would be more suited to that part of the field. Handy as a back-up defender but never will be an out and out centre-half. Links well with midfield and has an eye for goal. He needs two solid defenders behind him. We've struggled with left-back for years. Since McHattie left we've had Oshaniwa and so many, none of whom make the grade in the end. Hopefully Kingsley will sort that problem out. Upfront we've been pretty crap. The only one that made an impact was Lafferty. We tend to sign strikers who don't score goals while other clubs seem to find players a lot easier. Boyce seemed a good signing but it was a signing for a Stendel style team. He's now falling the way of many other forwards that have had the misfortune to work with Levein and Neilson. Naismith looks bored as does Boyce. I wonder if he regrets coming to Hearts now after turning down Aberdeen? Wighton can't seen to get a striker position so it's no wonder we can't score goals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
So Make Some Noise..

Only my opinion but since his purple patch during his first spell, Walker started to believe his own hype. Unless you're at the elite level, this is always a very dangerous place to be as a professional at anything. At a time when he should have kept his head down, he was distracted by the rangers interest / acting the dick. Now he's more interested than what comes with being a footballer than actually being one. Again, just my view. I know spurs fans have similar views of Dele Alli (obviously on a different scale).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

 

The problem is, and has been for a number of years, we sign too many players that are too similar to each other. The amount of defensive midfielders we've gone through in five years or so is crazy! From Bauben, Gomis, Nowak, Cowie, Kitchen, Tzolis, and plenty in-between from 2017 to now, in 2020 when we had Whelan and still have Damour. We now sign Halliday and it wouldn't surprise me if yet another one comes along. We don't sign attacking midfielders, we rely on the likes of Haring to get forward. Most of the younger midfielders could technically be called defensive midfielders as well. Cochrane, Irving and the latest...McGill. Halkett would be more suited to that part of the field. Handy as a back-up defender but never will be an out and out centre-half. Links well with midfield and has an eye for goal. He needs two solid defenders behind him. We've struggled with left-back for years. Since McHattie left we've had Oshaniwa and so many, none of whom make the grade in the end. Hopefully Kingsley will sort that problem out. Upfront we've been pretty crap. The only one that made an impact was Lafferty. We tend to sign strikers who don't score goals while other clubs seem to find players a lot easier. Boyce seemed a good signing but it was a signing for a Stendel style team. He's now falling the way of many other forwards that have had the misfortune to work with Levein and Neilson. Naismith looks bored as does Boyce. I wonder if he regrets coming to Hearts now after turning down Aberdeen? Wighton can't seen to get a striker position so it's no wonder we can't score goals. 

Have to agree with all that.

I think Halliday sees himself as an attacking midfielder but I’m not sure he’s any good at it. 
It’s happened too many times no with strikers, we just don’t create chances for them. 
I don’t blame them, aren’t we all bored already just 11 games into the season with a final to look forward to, should’ve another derby as well. 

I think we now also have Walker/Naismith/Roberts/Lee and even Boyce/Irving/Halliday who see themselves as number 10s or would be more use in that position than anywhere else. I still don’t know or have seen anyone come up with how to set up to get the best out of our attacking players, and certainly not the manager. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

 

TBF, if Naismith is losing interest then that is a real worry. He is just about the only one to have a genuine will to win. Even when his performance is indifferent he is always on the lookout for an opportunity to score or create an assist for a team mate.

 

Given that his Scotland days are done I suspect he has a lot less to prove and is simply going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong but it has that kind of feel...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The last Hearts midfielder I can recall bursting into the box was Ryan Edwards scoring against Celtic in the cup final, clearly there was a dim view of this type of play as we promptly offloaded him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, feedthefox said:

The last Hearts midfielder I can recall bursting into the box was Ryan Edwards scoring against Celtic in the cup final, clearly there was a dim view of this type of play as we promptly offloaded him. 

My recollection is Andy Halliday last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, feedthefox said:

The last Hearts midfielder I can recall bursting into the box was Ryan Edwards scoring against Celtic in the cup final, clearly there was a dim view of this type of play as we promptly offloaded him. 

Sadly true, Milinkovic was the same, Levein actually publicly condemned him for not doing his defensive duties. This mentality is still ingrained in the coaching at our club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Sadly true, Milinkovic was the same, Levein actually publicly condemned him for not doing his defensive duties. This mentality is still ingrained in the coaching at our club.

 

Now there is a player I would love to have back at Hearts.

 

Levein took a personal dislike to him, as he's done with a few players over the years so his days were numbered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelly Terraces
10 hours ago, feedthefox said:

The last Hearts midfielder I can recall bursting into the box was Ryan Edwards scoring against Celtic in the cup final, clearly there was a dim view of this type of play as we promptly offloaded him. 

Even that was a collectors item as if anyone can remember a Hearts midfielder arriving in the box like that before that goal their memory is better than mine.

 

Add to that - last time you saw a winger hit the byeline & cutback a cross? Nah, me neither.

 

And finally, greedy, predatory, penalty box striker who we set chances up for? Lucky I remember Robbo as think that was the last one. Most, no, make that ALL our 'forwards' tend to end up playing outside the box creating chances for the non existent midfielders not arriving the in box.

 

Quite simply, Hearts are pretty much the most tedious & boring side to watch. It's just so bloody dull. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

 

TBF, if Naismith is losing interest then that is a real worry. He is just about the only one to have a genuine will to win. Even when his performance is indifferent he is always on the lookout for an opportunity to score or create an assist for a team mate.

Have to agree if Naisy is losing interest we are doon the swanny withoot a paddle☹️.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Even that was a collectors item as if anyone can remember a Hearts midfielder arriving in the box like that before that goal their memory is better than mine.

 

Add to that - last time you saw a winger hit the byeline & cutback a cross? Nah, me neither.

 

And finally, greedy, predatory, penalty box striker who we set chances up for? Lucky I remember Robbo as think that was the last one. Most, no, make that ALL our 'forwards' tend to end up playing outside the box creating chances for the non existent midfielders not arriving the in box.

 

Quite simply, Hearts are pretty much the most tedious & boring side to watch. It's just so bloody dull. 

 

It's the way we set up - ridiculous!

 

Boyce needs support up top, imo.  One up front is daft, if those supporting are too slow or cowardly to push on.

 

Going all Mike Bassett but 4 4 ****ing 2 would be a start!

Edited by Boris
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelly Terraces
15 minutes ago, Boris said:

 

It's the way we set up - ridiculous!

 

Boyce needs support up top, imo.  One up front is daft, if those supporting are too slow or cowardly to push on.

 

Going all Mike Bassett but 4 4 ****ing 2 would be a start!

"Going all Mike Bassett"... :D HAHA.

 

To be honest, 4-4-2, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing mate - like why not eh? Just give it a bash 'cos sure as tomorrow is Wednesday the current setup isn't working! Maybe you & I should apply for the managerial & coaching roles in a sort of 'McDonald & Jardine' duo for the 21st century. Can I be Sandy??:blush:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nelly Terraces said:

"Going all Mike Bassett"... :D HAHA.

 

To be honest, 4-4-2, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing mate - like why not eh? Just give it a bash 'cos sure as tomorrow is Wednesday the current setup isn't working! Maybe you & I should apply for the managerial & coaching roles in a sort of 'McDonald & Jardine' duo for the 21st century. Can I be Sandy??:blush:

very good🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

"Going all Mike Bassett"... :D HAHA.

 

To be honest, 4-4-2, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing mate - like why not eh? Just give it a bash 'cos sure as tomorrow is Wednesday the current setup isn't working! Maybe you & I should apply for the managerial & coaching roles in a sort of 'McDonald & Jardine' duo for the 21st century. Can I be Sandy??:blush:

 

:rofl:

 

Well, we couldn't do any worse!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boris said:

 

It's the way we set up - ridiculous!

 

Boyce needs support up top, imo.  One up front is daft, if those supporting are too slow or cowardly to push on.

 

Going all Mike Bassett but 4 4 ****ing 2 would be a start!

 

Boyce who has great feet and holds it up well needs support on his shoulder or from midfielders runners. It's not rocket science and yet we do or have neither. It would transform our team if we had some pace and energy levels in middle of park.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David McCaig said:

My recollection is Andy Halliday last week.

Halliday done it on Saturday too.  Not taking the chance doesn't mean the runs aren't made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Walker he's still got quality, but as mentioned it might only be as a 10.  He had a good pre season and he started the season well in the number 10 position and he's looked worse since going wide.  Play him centrally or don't play him.  I also think he's far too desperate for a goal, he's shooting in areas he shouldn't.  He got an assist on Wednesday by driving into the box and lifting his head, more of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Have to agree if Naisy is losing interest we are doon the swanny withoot a paddle☹️.

The fact is he shouldn't be losing interest because we are paying him a decent wedge to actually do his job. 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The fact is he shouldn't be losing interest because we are paying him a decent wedge to actually do his job. 😏

Correct, no player should lose interest, doing a job that most of us could only dream of.

And as u say, the decent wedge that they are on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

"Going all Mike Bassett"... :D HAHA.

 

To be honest, 4-4-2, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing mate - like why not eh? Just give it a bash 'cos sure as tomorrow is Wednesday the current setup isn't working! Maybe you & I should apply for the managerial & coaching roles in a sort of 'McDonald & Jardine' duo for the 21st century. Can I be Sandy??:blush:

You still got your boots? Sandy played for a few seasons. You'd maybe have to do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The fact is he shouldn't be losing interest because we are paying him a decent wedge to actually do his job. 😏

 

Was not one of the reasons he went to Wigan, his disinterest in playing for Hearts.  Players returning to former clubs (Robbo excepted) rarely excel the 2nd time around.  CL brought a pig in a poke there.  His lack of pace following injury was soon found out when he went south.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon

 

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

 

Ginnelly

Haring

Irving

Halliday

 

Boyce

Whighton

 

4-4-2

 

Ginnelly playing a sort of Colquhoun type role, making a three up front when he can/play dictates.

 

The other midfield three hunt as a pack, closing down, hustling, attacking etc

 

That's my naive assessment of it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Old Tolbooth
8 minutes ago, Boris said:

Gordon

 

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

 

Ginnelly

Haring

Irving

Halliday

 

Boyce

Whighton

 

4-4-2

 

Ginnelly playing a sort of Colquhoun type role, making a three up front when he can/play dictates.

 

The other midfield three hunt as a pack, closing down, hustling, attacking etc

 

That's my naive assessment of it.

 

 

I like the look of this because it has no Walker, Frear, or Roberts in there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jap Jambo said:

 

Given that his Scotland days are done I suspect he has a lot less to prove and is simply going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong but it has that kind of feel...

Reminds me now of Wayne Rooney ; past it, no pace, drops back to half way line for a simple pass occasionally and waves his arms about. 

 

Get him & Walker in the bin until things are back on track. Two players  with NO pace that offer little. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boris said:

Gordon

 

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

 

Ginnelly

Haring

Irving

Halliday

 

Boyce

Whighton

 

4-4-2

 

Ginnelly playing a sort of Colquhoun type role, making a three up front when he can/play dictates.

 

The other midfield three hunt as a pack, closing down, hustling, attacking etc

 

That's my naive assessment of it.

 

Very interesting to see if Ginnelly is actually fit for Saturday.

 

The old he will be fit for the next game scenario has been rolling on for a few weeks now.

 

We had enough of that chat from CL to last a lifetime. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2020 at 08:39, Skacelsid said:

Sadly true, Milinkovic was the same, Levein actually publicly condemned him for not doing his defensive duties. This mentality is still ingrained in the coaching at our club.


Common behaviour from Levein - he bumped young McDonald for the same reason!

Link to post
Share on other sites
bigsuperslim1874
On 30/11/2020 at 22:15, Jap Jambo said:

 

Given that his Scotland days are done I suspect he has a lot less to prove and is simply going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong but it has that kind of feel...

I actually think he is one of the few who could force his way in - Clarke seems to like him and I think has picked him during his tenure? He will have to go up three or four levels to have any chance....and that is if it’s physically doable at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Colin Cameron left shortly after Levein arrived too.   Must have been too attack minded. 

Nothing to do with the huge transfer fee that Wolves offered and the giant hole in our finances then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Nothing to do with the huge transfer fee that Wolves offered and the giant hole in our finances then?

He was separated/separating from his missus ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Nothing to do with the huge transfer fee that Wolves offered and the giant hole in our finances then?

We got about £1.25m.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

A good day from Jamie, the difference from last week was enormous. What happens when he has the right attitude.


indeed. I’ve been very harsh on him so it’s only fair to give him credit. Such a frustrating player. Hopefully he can keep this going and if he can we will win a good few more. Well done JW

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...