Our 'Academy'

Martin_T

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, Meadows said:

Both of the above posts have a point , yes the players must have the correct attitude, application and of course performance. Mistakes whilst shouldn’t be encouraged are expected and players need the freedom on the park to play without fear . 
Inner confidence is hugely important and if a youngster feels unwanted / not rated that  is a huge part of his development . Inner toughness can be eroded if a ‘one size fits all ‘ approach is used . 

I would agree with that.

I do think clubs are too focused on a numbers game approach to youth talent, get lots of talented youngsters in and one or two will end up being good. Look at the squad sizes of Premier league U23 sides, same with teams like Rangers (who have 30 players in the reserve squad (11 of those players are out on loan.) How can a young player in a large youth squad feel that their development is going to get the focus needed and that they are wanted. 

As for Hearts, I am the same as others that I do have concerns over our youth development. A benefit from 2017/18 season is that we were seen as a club that gave young players a chance, which can help with recruitment (would Hickey have left Celtic for us had he not thought that he would play, probably not) but we seem to have the complete opposite way since that season. I am not saying the amount of debuts given in 17/18 should be the norm but they need the chance. 

There needs to be overall direction in our youth policy from the top down, if we want it to be a key part of how the club operates.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzzbomb

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

• Lone Striker

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I would agree with that.

I do think clubs are too focused on a numbers game approach to youth talent, get lots of talented youngsters in and one or two will end up being good. Look at the squad sizes of Premier league U23 sides, same with teams like Rangers (who have 30 players in the reserve squad (11 of those players are out on loan.) How can a young player in a large youth squad feel that their development is going to get the focus needed and that they are wanted. 

As for Hearts, I am the same as others that I do have concerns over our youth development. A benefit from 2017/18 season is that we were seen as a club that gave young players a chance, which can help with recruitment (would Hickey have left Celtic for us had he not thought that he would play, probably not) but we seem to have the complete opposite way since that season. I am not saying the amount of debuts given in 17/18 should be the norm but they need the chance. 

There needs to be overall direction in our youth policy from the top down, if we want it to be a key part of how the club operates.

I don;t disaghree with your theory however what I would point out is that from Robbie's perspective his number one aim for us is to get back into the the Premier League.

He will want to get us a far up the table to achieve this target before thinking about blooding any youngsters.

I would imagine he may well give a few of them a game in some of the cup games as he has done already.

We can't continue not giving these lads games otherwise they will stop wanting to sign for us.

Edited by wavydavy

17 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He did play games with the reserves in the Jan-May 19 timeframe but did miss a number because of injuries. He played a pre-season or two at the beginning of 18/19 season looked ok, but didn’t kick on. Came back to training at beginning of 19/20 season and was out of condition. Can remember Levein  making the point that he was unhappy with the way some of the young guys had spent their summer. Was very different this summer with Hickey, Smith, Logan et al putting in a real shift over lockdown. 
Re attitude - just from watching reserve and u18 games. 
I don’t think either have been failed by Hearts. I think they were given great opportunities but for whatever reason they haven’t taken them. 

So , he played in those years but also played 1st team, went on loan to ICT and then Dunfermline and in between trained\played for Hearts 1st team but he had an attitude problem. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds. 

Levein took skillful, technical footballers and ran them on Gullane sands...worked wonders that...maybe more time on the grass with a ball and we woukd still be in the premier league. 

Nice to know you have access to the ststs from over lockdown can you get Mcdonald and Cochrane stats as well....the players were all given programs to work on unofficially and the data was sent to the club so very much doubt anyone wasnt putting in a shift.

If you dont think that bringing in over 35 players stifles the pathway then I am unsure what you think a pathway should look like. These boys could have gone anywhere, and there were plenty of takers, but they signed new deals at Hearts....probably something they regret every day.

19 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He did play games with the reserves in the Jan-May 19 timeframe but did miss a number because of injuries. He played a pre-season or two at the beginning of 18/19 season looked ok, but didn’t kick on. Came back to training at beginning of 19/20 season and was out of condition. Can remember Levein  making the point that he was unhappy with the way some of the young guys had spent their summer. Was very different this summer with Hickey, Smith, Logan et al putting in a real shift over lockdown. 
Re attitude - just from watching reserve and u18 games. 
I don’t think either have been failed by Hearts. I think they were given great opportunities but for whatever reason they haven’t taken them. 

Ah yes, more man-management genius from the Vanacek playbook.