Jump to content

Dundee Utd wage cuts - Better get a walk organised, boys


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Time to check the attic for old programmes.

 

Third Lanark ones appear to be quite rare in collectors' circles. Imagine what Dundee United ones will fetch when they effectively voted themselves up a division only to spend themselves into oblivion with a squad full of dross and a manager with the worst case of nominative determinism I've seen in years.

I confess I had to look up what normative determinism means. 

You're absolutely spot on 👏👏👏😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Smith's right boot

    13

  • 1971fozzy

    9

  • BarneyBattles

    9

  • Mikey1874

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smith's right boot
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:


Maybe they could ask their £400k/year administrator how he is getting on with his negotiations with the First Minister. 

 

They backed him so let the able man work his magic. 
 

Of course, they could have been more supportive of the person who spoke candidly about the true picture facing Scottish clubs and who brought the only meaningful cash into the game via James Anderson. 

I sometimes wonder how any of these guys got rich in the first place. 

 

 

Yip. 

 

Look no further than Trump. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
3 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I confess I had to look up what normative determinism means. 

You're absolutely spot on 👏👏👏😁

 

 

JKB, every day is a school day. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

I get your gist but I think big crowds are just a no, no science, stats etc just common sense. Thousands of folk marching into one area for football, rally, concert aplay  etc is just the opposite of what should be done. 

 

20 folk sitting at tables eating or having a pint spread  out a pub is a different matter. I can see both sides, but mass gatherings, ffs it's just not happening soon despite me and most others wanting it to happen. 

Yes, I agree with you on that part - isn't having a pint with a meal   being allowed at Tier 1 (maybe even Tier 2 also ?) up till 6pm or something like that ?    I do think the restriction on time is a bit questionable though.   If the rule is "drink only with a meal", then why not extend it to to 9pm ?   The level of demand for visits to pubs/restaurants at this time is a bit of an unknown though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, I agree with you on that part - isn't having a pint with a meal   being allowed at Tier 1 (maybe even Tier 2 also ?) up till 6pm or something like that ?    I do think the restriction on time is a bit questionable though.   If the rule is "drink only with a meal", then why not extend it to to 9pm ?   The level of demand for visits to pubs/restaurants at this time is a bit of an unknown though.

 

 

Yeah, I agree and a different discussion with wider economic and social benefits and far less risk than 10k at Tynecastle or 30k at Parkhead x 4/5 across the country. 

 

Big crowds are really just not happening, the benefits v health risk even for the the daft of the dafties is clearly not positive in favour of them returning unless the science changes. 

 

How guys at the top of the football chain haven't worked this out yet is beyond me, its been clear for at least 3/4 months. 

Edited by Smith's right boot
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

 

I think many (not all) football clubs are acting just like the pubs now.    Easier to  blame the government instead of their  customers.

 

Despite rates of infections/hospitalisation/deaths rising as we head into winter, they're claiming that it's got nothing to do with them just because they've put measure in place to reduce the risk of cross-infection among customers & staff.    None of them are willing to acknowledge that the main  reason for all these restrictions in the first place is because a  section of the  population   are pure & simple numpties who can't be trusted to follow the basic rules of protecting themselves and those around them when they gather in groups at venues (like pubs and football matches)        300 house parties per week for the police to try to break up - it seems some folk think it's just a cold that you can take a Lemsip for.

 

 

 

 

 

So covid is all down to the pub trade?

 

Very little evidence of it so far.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo

If some clubs that voted us down go into admin or even better liquidation , I hope there will be some kind of really tasteless fan display celebrating it when we are allowed back in the ground. The kind of thing that will get all the pundits on their moral high horses about how mean and nasty we are and we shouldn't wish that on any club. Something to show we haven't forgotten and the more clubs that die the happier we will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any team giving McNulty 5k a week deserves to go bust. They have got their 5000 season ticket sold and money pocketed so don't really see the fans in stadiums argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Imagine asking your squad to take pay cuts but telling them the new guys in the team don't have to. What a way to build squad harmony. Hope all the players tell them to ram it.

 

What about the guy that McNulty is getting game time instead of ?

 

McNulty comes in for £5k a week that Utd can't really afford, and not only is the first guy relegated to the bench, but he's asked to take a 20% pay cut which will effectively help to suubsidise McNulty's inflated salary.

 

Mental 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
Just now, Tott said:

 

So covid is all down to the pub trade?

 

Very little evidence of it so far.

 

You've misunderstood my post.    Covid is down to numpties, resulting in the restrictions which the government are imposing on pubs etc.   It's a valid argument that it's unfair on pubs, but governments everywhere are doing it.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
1971fozzy
6 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Any team giving McNulty 5k a week deserves to go bust. They have got their 5000 season ticket sold and money pocketed so don't really see the fans in stadiums argument.


this. Counting on away fans like most of these rat clubs.  Utd’s wage structure is suicide. Buying players for crazy money right up to deadline day knowing we are in a pandemic was just stupid. 
mcNulty on £5k a week is £260,000 a year 🤣 I mean come on. What were they even thinking. Shankland must be on at least that as well

Edited by 1971fozzy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh hai Dundee Hibernian, how about you find nearly £2m a year from your fans. That’s a lot of pehs for a thousand junkies though. Maybe you could find some generous benefactors who don’t want to bang you full of debt, then asset strip you just after you asterisked your way to a ‘title’ you didn’t win. Also how about you ****in...

 

tenor.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

 

What about the guy that McNulty is getting game time instead of ?

 

McNulty comes in for £5k a week that Utd can't really afford, and not only is the first guy relegated to the bench, but he's asked to take a 20% pay cut which will effectively help to suubsidise McNulty's inflated salary.

 

Mental 

Indeed. Wishart should be raging at this - maybe he is and is managing to keep it under the media radar.  Seems very strange though.  You'd think the SPFL /  SFA  should be looking at this too - surely they must have some rules relating to fair remuneration standards ?   They were quick to dock us 15 points 7 years ago when we were late paying the wages.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
SomethingAboutObua

What the **** were they thinking with all their new signings? Truly don't give a **** tbh, (as long as its not non playing staff), get it right up them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Oh hai Dundee Hibernian, how about you find nearly £2m a year from your fans. That’s a lot of pehs for a thousand junkies though. Maybe you could find some generous benefactors who don’t want to bang you full of debt, then asset strip you just after you asterisked your way to a ‘title’ you didn’t win. Also how about you ****in...

 

tenor.gif

 

 

This thread is quality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22games nro
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

 

Article has been updated:

 

United owner Mark Ogren last night broke months of silence to insist he remains committed to the club. 

But has warned his pot of cash isn’t limitless.  

He said: “I’ve got limited funds. We need to figure this out.

“But I don’t want to scare people into thinking we’re going away because that is not the case.

 

"We’re going to figure this out but we’ll need help from the government, our fans and everybody at the club.

The first phase we had budgeted for so we anticipated it but we didn’t budget for this second phase. 

“It has no effect on my commitment to Dundee United. We are absolutely not up for sale.” 

 

 

 


giphy.gif
 

 

7F51CFDB-B37F-4641-AD5D-4E30522C0403.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Elwood P
16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

Yeah, I agree and a different discussion with wider economic and social benefits and far less risk than 10k at Tynecastle or 30k at Parkhead x 4/5 across the country. 

 

Big crowds are really just not happening, the benefits v health risk even for the the daft of the dafties is clearly not positive in favour of them returning unless the science changes. 

 

How guys at the top of the football chain haven't worked this out yet is beyond me, its been clear for at least 3/4 months. 


Folk seem to think it’s the being inside the ground that’s the problem, it’s not. The problem is getting even 2,000 into a football ground while maintaining social distancing. Transport, toilets and access make it impossible. Clubs such as Rangers that have an underground nearby are particularly problematic. It’s going to be a long long time before stadiums are full again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jager man

How perfect would it be for us to be promoted this season and united relegated. Where staying down would have probably saved them money with tests and being no fans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:


Folk seem to think it’s the being inside the ground that’s the problem, it’s not. The problem is getting even 2,000 into a football ground while maintaining social distancing. Transport, toilets and access make it impossible. Clubs such as Rangers that have an underground nearby are particularly problematic. It’s going to be a long long time before stadiums are full again.

Yip. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles

Budge was being hailed as a visionary on here for imposing wage cuts 6 months ago but now that Utd are doing it, it’s popcorn / tick-tock time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

Budge was being hailed as a visionary on here for imposing wage cuts 6 months ago but now that Utd are doing it, it’s popcorn / tick-tock time?

 

Absolutely. We budgeted for the worst from the beginning and got absolute pelters from the media whereas Dundee United have made an utter arse of it and are now struggling big time.

 

The more the merrier I say

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Budge was being hailed as a visionary on here for imposing wage cuts 6 months ago but now that Utd are doing it, it’s popcorn / tick-tock time?

Sorry Bernard but you don’t really strike me as a businessman/woman with that statement.

 

To put it in your terms, when you need a shite, do you try and find a toilet sharpish or wait a bit, hope for the best and then shite in your y-fronts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
ToadKiller Dog

Remember the united boards reasoning for being against reconstruction of any sort was that they wanted 4 home games against the Ugly sisters .I hope they enjoy the money spinners .

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
6 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Budge was being hailed as a visionary on here for imposing wage cuts 6 months ago but now that Utd are doing it, it’s popcorn / tick-tock time?

 

Yip. 

 

If you don't think there is a difference between our finances, our owner and the way we're run v Utd then I dinnae know what to say. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
1 minute ago, Gone said:

 

Absolutely. We budgeted for the worst from the beginning and got absolute pelters from the media whereas Dundee United have made an utter arse of it and are now struggling big time.

 

The more the merrier I say


Totally agree on the media bit but I suspect this story, like this thread will slip off the front pages fairly quickly. 
 

I’d love them to go bust, just don’t think they will. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:


Totally agree on the media bit but I suspect this story, like this thread will slip off the front pages fairly quickly. 
 

I’d love them to go bust, just don’t think they will. 

 

Wouldn't be too sure on this one. Seems very similar to the Romanov saga (minus the success of course!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
7 minutes ago, Zico said:

Sorry Bernard but you don’t really strike me as a businessman/woman with that statement.

 

To put it in your terms, when you need a shite, do you try and find a toilet sharpish or wait a bit, hope for the best and then shite in your y-fronts?


So you think that Hearts / Budge foresaw the extent of this? 
 

You obviously missed the season ticket communications then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:


So you think that Hearts / Budge foresaw the extent of this? 
 

You obviously missed the season ticket communications then. 

I think the early wage cuts suggest that there was an inkling that this wasn’t going to be over quickly. Hope you got your refund. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
1 minute ago, Gone said:

 

Wouldn't be too sure on this one. Seems very similar to the Romanov saga (minus the success of course!)


The owner does seem a bit flaky (and contradictory in his statements) so you could be right. 
 

I was just pointing out that we were saying budge was doing the right thing to protect the club by imposing wage cuts but we’re now saying Utd must be on the brink because they’re imposing wage cuts (when none of us really know the finances of either club). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:


The owner does seem a bit flaky (and contradictory in his statements) so you could be right. 
 

I was just pointing out that we were saying budge was doing the right thing to protect the club by imposing wage cuts but we’re now saying Utd must be on the brink because they’re imposing wage cuts (when none of us really know the finances of either club). 

 

Of course no one knows but like I mentioned we budgeted for the worst at the beginning whereas teams like United pissed money on utter dross and it's now clear it's bit them in the arse. If they budgeted earlier like we did then this thread probably wouldn't exist.

 

Struggle to believe McNulty is on 5k tho!

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
2 minutes ago, Zico said:

I think the early wage cuts suggest that there was an inkling that this wasn’t going to be over quickly. Hope you got your refund. 


‘Suggest’ ‘inkling’. Not quite the confident businessman now. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
1 minute ago, Gone said:

 

Of course no one knows but like I mentioned we budgeted for the worst at the beginning whereas teams like United pissed money on utter dross and it's now clear it's bit them in the arse. If they budgeted earlier like we did then this thread probably wouldn't exist.

 

Struggle to believe McNulty is on 5k tho!


We were definitely the first to call it as best we could and got slaughtered for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1971fozzy

I really don’t understand their thinking at all.  Chucking money at ridiculous wages when a blind man could see this covid wasn’t going to see fans return in October. Zero chance. As posted above it’s not so much as the bums on seats it’s the getting to grounds, the outside the ground crowds, the inside the ground problems (toilets / kiosks etc).  We are entering winter shortly and covid cases are rising and a full on lockdown looks highly likely which drags us back to March 23rd.

mental buying like they did 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
24 minutes ago, Zico said:

Sorry Bernard but you don’t really strike me as a businessman/woman with that statement.

 

To put it in your terms, when you need a shite, do you try and find a toilet sharpish or wait a bit, hope for the best and then shite in your y-fronts?


A great point. Beautifully illustrated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:


‘Suggest’ ‘inkling’. Not quite the confident businessman now. 

 

 

I have no idea what you’re slavering about. Good night auld yin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
6 minutes ago, Zico said:

I have no idea what you’re slavering about. Good night auld yin. 


The reason you’ve no idea is because you’ve just made assumptions rather than ask anything (I’m not looking for a refund 😉)

 

 Your analogy about needing the loo was a good one, apart from two entities needed the loo not just one and not in the same circumstances. 
 

Plus you’ve assumed I’m older than you but you’re the one off to bed😀

Edited by BarneyBattles
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BarneyBattles said:


The reason you’ve no idea is because you’ve just made assumptions rather than ask anything (I’m not looking for a refund 😉)

 

 Your analogy about needing the loo was a good one, apart from two entities needed the loo not just one. 
 

Plus you’ve assumed I’m older than you but you’re the one off to bed😀

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:


The reason you’ve no idea is because you’ve just made assumptions rather than ask anything (I’m not looking for a refund 😉)

 

 Your analogy about needing the loo was a good one, apart from two entities needed the loo not just one and not in the same circumstances. 
 

Plus you’ve assumed I’m older than you but you’re the one off to bed😀


Yet only one party got shat on from all angles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:


Yet only one party got shat on from all angles. 


Totally. The silence when all others followed us was defeating but I gave up on any fair or impartial journalism a long time ago. 
 

Hearts and the fans need to stick together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
Just now, BarneyBattles said:


Totally. The silence when all others followed us was defeating but I gave up on any fair or impartial journalism a long time ago. 
 

Hearts and the fans need to stick together.


With you all the way on that one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Sorry Bernard but you don’t really strike me as a businessman/woman with that statement.

 

To put it in your terms, when you need a shite, do you try and find a toilet sharpish or wait a bit, hope for the best and then shite in your y-fronts?

 

I think United found themselves needing a shite and then went up to the drive thru window.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamTarts98

Is there a possibility of clubs receiving financial aid/bail outs from the government or is the Dundee United owner just making a desperate plea?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, I agree with you on that part - isn't having a pint with a meal   being allowed at Tier 1 (maybe even Tier 2 also ?) up till 6pm or something like that ?    I do think the restriction on time is a bit questionable though.   If the rule is "drink only with a meal", then why not extend it to to 9pm ?   The level of demand for visits to pubs/restaurants at this time is a bit of an unknown though.

Yet we are happy for thousands to converge on a shopping centre every day of the week

 

Same issues re travel, mixing etc...indeed more difficult many would say to keep apart and 'indoors' as well

Edited by CJGJ
Link to post
Share on other sites

The criminal mismanagement of this by the SPFL will almost certainly claim a lot of victims.  To that extent I have sympathy for Dundee United and every other club except Celtic.  There should never have been a corrupt vote to start with.

 

As a consequence, they now have their 3rd biggest club and its supporters on liquidation watch.  

 

I'm very surprised smaller clubs haven't gone to the wall already but following their decision to penalise Partick and us in the teeth of a worldwide deadly pandemic, the more financial pain they're experiencing the happier I am.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tasavallan
6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

Yip. 

 

Look no further than Trump. 

 

 

 

Or Andrea Corr's father-in-law who must be desperate to get bums back on their seats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Barack said:

Didn't realise they'd spent BIG wages on Edwards.

 

 

 

 


This. 
 

Ohhh Robbie knew 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...