Semi final

jamborich

58 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You are wrong I have played football and many other sports and was very competetive. I also know how difficult it is to give your all when you are not 100% fit.

You have taken my post out of context to support your argument.

I never said we can't compete. You are making things up that I never said.

Below is the post you replied to and my points were relating to that.

That exactly my point though, how can we dominate by playing three players who are lacking in match sharpness?

If they are unfit you may have a point but don't start with this match sharpness pish they are experienced pros who know the game.

Ok here's the rub do you trust Robbie to play his best team, me I think he will wether they are 100% fit or not imo Naismith, Haring, Halliday will start 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• JoeHarper

• jamborich

J.T.F.Robertson

Why we're even compelled to play this fixture beats me all to feck for a myriad of reasons.

They tell us the season is over, relegate us, then carry on as if everything's copacetic. Different personnel, season start times the same,  what a ****ing farce!

Really worried about Sat , we have just begun the season and they are well into theirs  and dare i say it , winning most games outside the old firm .

With Ginnelly out next week it will be a struggle .

Never say never but not confident at all

16 hours ago, R1874 said:

Starting to think back 3 is way to go:

1. Wingers injured so need width but can get best forwards in the team

2. CBs are average and a 3rd would help against Hibs two up top

3 Haring could start in a less physically demanding area

Gordon

Halkett

Haring

Pop

Smith

Halliday

Irving

Kingsley

Walker

Naisy

Boyce

Subs: Stewart, Brandon, White, Wighton, Lee + two from Frear/Roberts/Gino/Moore

Although the midfield 3 aren’t the most dynamic, think they’d be fine. Particularly with two wingbacks

If Hibs play with wingers which they might, this won't work. I don't want Boyle to be able to have space to run into and imo that becomes easier for him with a back 3.

442 or variation, 4231 type thing for me.

I don't know how Hibs set up generally. Not looked at 1 minute of Premier but they def have danger out wide if they use it

16 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

As posted on the Arbroath match thread ... an under18 team for me if we have to turn up.

Last season  is over as much  in the Cup as league. 

But Celtic have to have their shot at their silly quadruple treble. We should not be dignifying this shit by treating it seriously.

DITTO, I'm not even watching it, took an overtime shift at work, absolute farce.

9 hours ago, jamborich said:

Ok here's the rub do you trust Robbie to play his best team, me I think he will wether they are 100% fit or not imo Naismith, Haring, Halliday will start 

I have faith in Robbie as a coach and he is the best placed person along with his coaching team to decide who plays.

I am sure his preferred central midfield pairing is Haring and Halliday (when fit) although whether he starts with that or not remains to be seen.

Personally I would prefer Irving to be in there because he can pick a pass.

One thing we can agree on is that we want to win and just like Friday any win will do,  it does not have to be pretty to watch.

My biggest fear though is as you may have seen from the highlights of their game yesterday against Killie, Hibs have pace and will hit on the break and we are very slow through the middle. I am entrigued to see how Robbie combats this.

rip van tinkle
10 hours ago, jamborich said:

Yer like a dug wi a bone 

If Gino and Roberts are out I think we'll change the way we play. I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 but think it might be required.

Bringing Irving (or Haring if fit enough) back into the central midfield adds a lot to our attacking play. Halliday can play left midfield providing a very solid midfield structure which would support the two strikers and also restrict space for Boyle.

Walker is not at his best out wide but would prefer him on the right wing to Frear although ideally Roberts is available.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Gordon

Halkett                                     Popescu

Smith                                                                                          Kingsley

Haring                                 Halliday

Walker

Ginnelly                                                               Roberts

Boyce

If Haring or Halliday not fit then Irving and/or Lee

If Ginnelly not fit then either Moore or Walker to right and Naismith to come into middle.

Subs:  Stewart, White, Irving, Lee, Naismith, Wighton, Frear.  If any out above then add Brandon, Cochrane, Henderson.

On 24/10/2020 at 00:53, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Roberts and/or Ginnelly have to start. No if’s and or buts. 
That’s pretty much the midfield we had today. And struggled. Sorry but no thanks.

No chance Ginnelly is starting I’m afraid.

Depending on who’s fit, it wouldn’t surprise me if aidy white was put on the wing. Happy to run down the line and can put crosses into the box. Can also give defensive cover. I think this is a much more tactical game than normal due to big Hampden pitch, us only been back a few weeks and needing to stop Boyle and Nisbet. Stable first half would allow us to build confidence and go for it after the break 

Italian Lambretta

We have nothing to lose we have only played a handful of games compared to the Leith junkies so there are no expectations. If we lose, so what, if we win then great but I won't be losing my shit if that lot win next week.

The vermin can have their 2 minutes of fame.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
32 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

If Gino and Roberts are out I think we'll change the way we play. I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 but think it might be required.

Bringing Irving (or Haring if fit enough) back into the central midfield adds a lot to our attacking play. Halliday can play left midfield providing a very solid midfield structure which would support the two strikers and also restrict space for Boyle.

Walker is not at his best out wide but would prefer him on the right wing to Frear although ideally Roberts is available.

I’d imagine if we went 4-4-2 it would be more of a 4-4-1-1 with someone like Moore on the right not Walker, with Walker and Boyce as the “2” Walker just behind Boyce

Agree with Halliday being left formation in that formation.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 minutes ago, Rods said:

White should be no where near the team. He has pace but is soft and brings nothing else. He is not up for the rigours of  Scottish Football. 

I though he did well when he came on - I don’t think he’s soft either.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If Jordan and Ginnelly are out and we are to keep our 4-2-3-1 formation I can’t see any other options for width and pace in our squad than Moore and Henderson

28 minutes ago, Rods said:

White should be no where near the team. He has pace but is soft and brings nothing else. He is not up for the rigours of  Scottish Football. 

I think on current for I would play White before Frear.

Ford Prentice
2 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Irving must play. Speed of thought and quality of pass.

100%. Hopefully he was just given a rest at Arbroath. 

1 minute ago, Ford Prentice said:

100%. Hopefully he was just given a rest at Arbroath. 

Even if he wasn't after that display from our midfield surely Robbie would see he has to change it.

37 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Agreed.

He's not perfect but very far from soft. The fact he had two concussions last seasons is evidence of putting his head in where it hurts rather than any weakness.

18 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Not bad, Moore probably. Walker a bit of a waste of time out wide but probably still our best option. 

I was thinking more of a tight midfield with Walker and the winger having the freedom to change wings.

22 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I was thinking more of a tight midfield with Walker and the winger having the freedom to change wings.

Could well work. It’s a tricky one, in the championship we have to play a lot of attack minded players. In this game not so much but we can’t just sit back and hope to frustrate them, our defence just isn’t up to that imo. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If Jordan and Ginnelly are out and we are to keep our 4-2-3-1 formation I can’t see any other options for width and pace in our squad than Moore and Henderson

Thigh knock. Time to man up. 

50 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We need to find a way of playing through the middle of the park as well as out wide.

Irving can thread a great pass through the middle. I'd go for him and Harring

16 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Everything we’ve done from the moment Robbie came back was set up to play 4231 and to get the ball wide. That was all with the semi in mind. We won’t play 442, we won’t play 352, we won’t play 451. We will play 4231, 100%. Haring has to start and I’d play him alongside Lee or Irving, Halliday isn’t sharp enough yet. If Ginnelly is out, Moore will more than likely play as I think Frear had a shocker Friday. Boyce played no bad last night and will start on Saturday with Wighton ready to come on if needed. Back two look shaky. They haven’t made any huge errors yet but they’ve been really close to in recent matches, they’ll have to be bang on it. My biggest worry is all hibs strengths go up against our (IMO) weaknesses. Middle of the park and at the back. They have pace up top and out wide and Nesbitt and Doige are physical and like to turn defenders, something we struggle with. Goigic looks solid so Walker will need to be bang on it. Tempo and aggression is what’s needed from the off. 

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett 

Popescu 

Kingsley 

Lee 

Haring 

Roberts

Walker 

Moore 

Boyce 

I really don’t want to see Walker wide with Naisy as the 10, I hope that’s not what happens. I also don’t want to see Wighton wide. 

Spot on. Play strikers up front, wingers out wide and choose between Walker and Naismith at 10.

Hopefully Ginnelly makes it but Moore has done well when given a chance.

Haring and Lee were once a good combination so could work although I would probably have Irving ahead of Lee for his passing on the big pitch.

Wouldn't mind Naismith starting the game at 10 with Walker coming on later rather than the other way round. Always seems to me more sensible to let a player with questionable fitness start the game rather than come on a sub especially with the possibility of extra time.

alwaysthereinspirit

The ref will have a huge input next week.

Posters have been saying that he’s been better lately.

He was atrocious today. No consistency one decision to the next. Absolutely loves the limelight. 
Its the little fouls he lets go/calls that always seemed to stop us in our tracks.

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Depending on who’s fit, it wouldn’t surprise me if aidy white was put on the wing. Happy to run down the line and can put crosses into the box. Can also give defensive cover. I think this is a much more tactical game than normal due to big Hampden pitch, us only been back a few weeks and needing to stop Boyle and Nisbet. Stable first half would allow us to build confidence and go for it after the break 

Aidy Whyte is awful.

5 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

So do I ... and I think he's more of a winger than a full back

Kidd’s Boots
5 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Agreed, and I for one, would be quite happy to see both of them in the match. They both showed under Stendel last season that they have the work ethic and engine to cope with the high tempo. Moore with Hickey and Henderson with Clare covered an enormous amount of ground. With Smith and Kingsley to talk them through on Saturday, we could do a lot worse imo.

21 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

So do I ... and I think he's more of a winger than a full back

Was a better winger than Frear on Friday. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Agreed, and I for one, would be quite happy to see both of them in the match. They both showed under Stendel last season that they have the work ethic and engine to cope with the high tempo. Moore with Hickey and Henderson with Clare covered an enormous amount of ground. With Smith and Kingsley to talk them through on Saturday, we could do a lot worse imo.

I think Moore is a bit more switched on defensively so might get the nod, he will know how to play against Doig too. Henderson off the bench with his pace on that pitch might be a good option. Starting with a few guys that are below top level fitness puts pressure on the subs with only three to be used. 

Kidd’s Boots
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think Moore is a bit more switched on defensively so might get the nod, he will know how to play against Doig too. Henderson off the bench with his pace on that pitch might be a good option. Starting with a few guys that are below top level fitness puts pressure on the subs with only three to be used. 

Good points, and Wighton off the bench too to hit the channels and stretch tired legs. Width from the start will give us the space to play through the midfield where players like Lee or Irving can actually influence with their passing abilities.

I think Hibs win if we turn up and super Joe is at his mercurial best, he's that good I'm telling you. Best player I've seen in a Hibs jersey since Ally Macleod

My worry is it will be the same old story against Hearts and we don't turn up and get horsed. I can see Hanlon and Porteous run ragged at the back and all over the place, we've rode our luck defensively so far and I can see it unravel come Saturday.

My prediction is 2-1 Hearts but hope it's like my usual footy predictions and wrong.

4 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Irving can thread a great pass through the middle. I'd go for him and Haring

I agree. I'd go as far as to say that I can't see us doing them if Robbie goes for Lee. Obviously hope I eat my words.

7 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

I think Hibs win if we turn up and super Joe is at his mercurial best, he's that good I'm telling you. Best player I've seen in a Hibs jersey since Ally Macleod

My worry is it will be the same old story against Hearts and we don't turn up and get horsed. I can see Hanlon and Porteous run ragged at the back and all over the place, we've rode our luck defensively so far and I can see it unravel come Saturday.

My prediction is 2-1 Hearts but hope it's like my usual footy predictions and wrong.

Forgive my ignorance but who is super Joe ? 

5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Forgive my ignorance but who is super Joe ? 

Joe Newell, our best player by far. I'm guessing you know that though haha

Edited by JoeHarper

4 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

Joe Newell, our best player by far. I' guessing you know that though haha

Never heard of him. 

Not been following the Premier League. 

I'll look up you tube. 

We will have a chance to dominate the midfield. Ross has to play his 2 strikers and Boyle because that’s their only threat. Pretty much guaranteeing a 4-4-2. Robbie’s 4-2-3-1 will have us out number them in the middle of the park and the wide areas. We have better central midfielders and better full backs than them. 

Hibs are streets ahead of us with regards to fitness and preparation. They also seem to know how to win games right now. We will need everyone on their game. If that happens I’m confident of a win. 

6 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We have nothing to lose we have only played a handful of games compared to the Leith junkies so there are no expectations. If we lose, so what, if we win then great but I won't be losing my shit if that lot win next week.

The vermin can have their 2 minutes of fame.

You wait and see what this place is like if we lose this one.

You might be chilled about it but a lot of the posts on here confidently predict we'll ram them because it's Hibs. 

Christ, this place will probably be intolerable if we win by the odd goal but fail to dominate possession and don't have the most clear cut chances

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Never heard of him. 

Not been following the Premier League. 

I'll look up you tube. 

OIP.COysJOyQADKb3KNzM7FLPgAAAA?w=170&h=1

There's only one Joe.

1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

You might be chilled about it but a lot of the posts on here confidently predict we'll ram them because it's Hibs. 

Christ, this place will probably be intolerable if we win by the odd goal but fail to dominate possession and don't have the most clear cut chances

Tell you something I'll not be logging on here to find out. 

It was bad enough when they put us out after a tight replay at ER although tbf we should never have given up a two goal lead in the Tynecastle match. 

Folk blaming Robbie for Hibs going on to win the cup that year. 😕

What's the situation with Roberts?

I'm sure that Robbie has identified our lack of width and pace as being a major weakness, so if Roberts is fit surely he will start. Maybe Frear on the bench if Ginnelly doesn't make it.

Bazzas right boot

Beating rangers, Hibs and celtic en route to a prosptponed  sc win just before Xmas after the way we got shat on. 

:scenes:

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Corner count. 

We better get more corners as well or Robbie can GTF. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Beating rangers, Hibs and celtic en route to a prosptponed  sc win just before Xmas after the way we got shat on. 

:scenes:

If it goes the other way it will conclude a truly utter shite 2 years.