Semi final

jamborich

12 hours ago, 5jambo1 said:

buzzing for this one, hibs have been good at the back but they won’t sit in like other teams we have played, so having more space will suit us. Hopefully we can create chances and take them! We are unbeaten this season so need to play with the belief and confidence which I’m sure we will! Let’s get stuck into them!! 

Didn't happen mate.

Arbroath and Dundee both tried to win the game. Arbroath had a bloody good go at it too and showed that we were lacking even against teams that don't sit in.

Against Dundee on the other hand we did manage to tear them a new one but they showed that one or two quality players can open us up at the other end.

Hampden will make a difference in terms of the space but I'd be just as worried about how their attacking players will utilise that space, as be confident in how we will.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• JoeHarper

• jamborich

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Why didn't you just come to the (most obvious) conclusion that he was actually injured? Especially given that he was our brightest player in the opening minutes.

I didn’t come to any conclusion

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

Didn't happen mate.

Arbroath and Dundee both tried to win the game. Arbroath had a bloody good go at it too and showed that we were lacking even against teams that don't sit in.

Against Dundee on the other hand we did manage to tear them a new one but they showed that one or two quality players can open us up at the other end.

Hampden will make a difference in terms of the space but I'd be just as worried about how their attacking players will utilise that space, as be confident in how we will.

Arbroath didn’t show we were lacking - we won

What they did show is, like last time when we got a record goal and points tally, some games will have to be ground out 1-0 wins.

40 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

Are opposing fans not allowed on your site my friend?  I'm not a mutant, merely a mere mortal unfortunate enough to support the hibs lol

We have a few.

Mostly incognito

Even more if you believe most of the accusations that fly around.

I don't mind you being here if you're not a but that opinion might change next weekend

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Arbroath didn’t show we were lacking - we won

What they did show is, like last time when we got a record goal and points tally, some games will have to be ground out 1-0 wins.

Think this has been discussed enough, we'll agree to disagree here I think.

12 hours ago, TynieGaffer86 said:

We got over run by Dundee in the second half in centre midfield with Lee and Irving, so you can imagine what Hibs can do against them. 

Experience is key. Hibs will have competitive edge over the whole Hearts team, so play your best available players.

3 hours ago, Jamie86 said:

Pretty poor betting on Skybet to be honest, no mention of a red card or build a bet so far. However, Hearts to get a penalty 7/2 and to score a penalty is 5/1. If you fancy another Hampden demolition, 5-1 is 200-1 or if you are feeling cautious, Hearts in extra time is 12/1

Not even hiding it. 

:rofl: 

Imagine supporting the tramps. 

18 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

We have a few.

Mostly incognito

Even more if you believe most of the accusations that fly around.

I don't mind you being here if you're not a but that opinion might change next weekend

Appreciated, we can't help who we support. Only here for a bit of banter, but I think I'll stay away next weekend if Hibs win, I'm not daft 

47 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

Find it weird that rival fans would want to post on another team’s message board. But then it is Hibs. Most on Twitter seem to have Hearts on notification.

Never thought of it as being weird to be honest, lost my job few weeks back and have nothing but time on my hands ( don't tell the wife lol ). I got banned from the hibs fanzine a couple of years ago for being either a troll or a hearts fan, go figure that one out.

26 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Not even hiding it. 

Yea found me out mate, I love me them Hibernians. What did I say that makes you think that? 

Gordon Ramsay

Boyle and Nisbet are the worries for me. Don't think their midfield is up to much. Every time I've seen Newell he's been awful and the boy from St Johnstone (Wright) looks like someone whose been pulled in out the boozer for a charity 5 a side. 

We can definitely beat them but we will need to perform a lot better than Friday night. If we reach the levels of first half of Dundee game we will be in with a very good chance. 

I've seen quite a few of their games this season and they have accumulated more points than they deserve. They always carry an element of luck, hopefully will run out at the weekend. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A blow. Stevenson is out injured. More baggage than a fully booked flight returning from Orlando 

11 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

This. Win the semi great, gets one over on hibs but we arent beating celtic in a final. Also means more distraction from the league all so celtic can get a treble when in reality the competition should have been binned.

We should have beat them in last year's final. They are a poorer side now and we are certainly no worse than then. 

If we are using one or two possible cup games as an excuse for not winning the Championship we might as well pack in right now. 

12 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

Never thought of it as being weird to be honest, lost my job few weeks back and have nothing but time on my hands ( don't tell the wife lol ). I got banned from the hibs fanzine a couple of years ago for being either a troll or a hearts fan, go figure that one out.

At least you are open about your allegiance.. 

It's the fans of other teams who pretend to be Hearts fans on here that I object to. 

Nothing wrong with honest debate imo. 

Hagar the Horrible

All the clever money will be on a celtiv giving Hibs another massive humiliation at Hampden

Robbie is just not getting it surrounding us beating Hibs, and thats a worry.

However if we do what we do best and thats cast a long shadow.  Hibs crumble when it matters they freeze when they see the maroon jerseys, thats why its the most one sided derby in any sport in the whole planet.

Celtic are in internal meltown, Lennon drunk, in fighting, players wanting out,  10IAR slowing drifting out of reach, a cup has just dropped down the priority list, but they still have to win them.  Lennon will be sacked if they get knocked out.

So dont be clever with your money go for Hearts V sheep final and hearts winning will be good odds and not a hail mary bet as the odds might suggest

1 hour ago, JoeHarper said:

Appreciated, we can't help who we support. Only here for a bit of banter, but I think I'll stay away next weekend if Hibs win, I'm not daft 

That's debatable 😍

12 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

If Roberts and Ginnelly are out and we are to opt for a line up based around fit players as opposed to our best.

Gordon

Halkett 

Haring

Popescu

Smith

Kingsley 

Irving Lee 

Walker

Boyce Naismith/Wighton 

3-5-2/5-3-2

Could see Peter come in to a back 3 again like Raith. Might allow him to manage the game and for him to step into the middle and also give us the option of width with full backs. Also allows us to play walker as the 10 and two strikers. 

If executed correctly it could work well. 

Think that's close. Unfortunately I think our best chance of causing them real problems limped off on Friday night. It's a massive blow because he'd have tore Stevenson or Doig to bits. Hoping for a miracle recovery but don't believe there's any chance of that I'm afraid.

See us playing a 3 5 2 with Haring in the back 3. Kingsley and Halkett either side. Gives us protection from their pace in the wide areas.

Smith and White wide of the 5 or swap White for Kingsley and play Popescu in the back 3. Not sold on Popescu though.

Not sure who plays in between them but I'd guess Lee, Irving and Halliday.

Boyce up top with Jamie in behind.

Halkett.   Haring.    Kingsley

Smith.  Lee. Halliday   Irving    White

Walker

Boyce

Even this early on we've been dealt a bad hand again by the injury gods. Pretty gutting!

I've not been overly impressed with them but unfortunately I think they've got the better options at the right end of the pitch. We'll need to defend well and hopefully nick something in a stuffy battle.

Olly Lee from 30 yards. 👍🏻

I do wonder if Neilson might deploy a 3 at the back system to try and combat the threats of Doidge and Nisbet, along with the loss of Ginnelly. Jamie Murphy is expected to be fit which is a blow as he is also a good player.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu

Roberts Haring Irving Kingsley

Walker

Wighton Boyce 

Plus that team above has the ability to switch to a 4231 if need be 

2 hours ago, Independence said:

It's H1b5 not Hibs. Always will be!!!! Natural order!!!

Have to admit I laughed when Levein said that and Lennon threw another of his infamous stroppies. I know it was said tongue in cheek by Levein but our record in derbies is truly horrific overall. Makes the victories all the more sweeter though, I went to every agonising derby throughout the 80s, it might account for my fondness for a dram haha.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I was numb for about 5 minutes after that went in, unbelievable but not unexpected lol.

30 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

I do wonder if Neilson might deploy a 3 at the back system to try and combat the threats of Doidge and Nisbet, along with the loss of Ginnelly. Jamie Murphy is expected to be fit which is a blow as he is also a good player.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu

Roberts Haring Irving Kingsley

Walker

Wighton Boyce 

Plus that team above has the ability to switch to a 4231 if need be 

Agreed with this

Let's hope Roberts is fit.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I see the real Joe Harper regularly,  play at the same golf club. Seems to be getting smaller with age

It’s maybe not quite right to say this given the significance of  this match and who we are playing, but the long term objective(or one of them) is to engrain back into Hearts the belief they can take the game to the opposition, and we must see it in this game, win or lose. 

I think RN is getting there slowly and it will take time. It’ll also take gradual personnel changes as we go along. But I hope he’s gagging on this. Gagging to see the team play with the freedom and openness we did against Dundee....and I hope that’s what he’s working at this week. 

Edited by Debut 4

4 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Not even hiding it. 

86 in the username is a big giveaway.

You would think Hibs fans would have thier own heroes( cup winners etc) instead they hang onto Albert Kidd like tramps round chips. I suppose its an insight into their wee team mentality.

What will be different for the Hibs defence is that there will be no big target man they have to mark, which is the easiest type of game for defenders. What defenders do not like is movement, creating space, pace etc. , somethings we have had in short supply for many years. Whilst they drew with Rangers, they were played off the park by that movement, likewise at Celtic. 

2 hours ago, JoeHarper said:

I was listening to a debate the other day about what the best goal you ever saw live was.  Have to say this is up there if not actually it.  

I can never make up my mind whether it's best to drum into the players that we don't lose to Hibs or take the Sergio approach of just another game? 

Jambof3tornado
5 hours ago, luckydug said:

We should have beat them in last year's final. They are a poorer side now and we are certainly no worse than then. 

If we are using one or two possible cup games as an excuse for not winning the Championship we might as well pack in right now. 

No excuse, i just think the priority is the league. Imagine playing and beating hibs but losing 3 players to injury then we play celtic and lose another 2 to injury. All for last years cup!!!

1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

I can never make up my mind whether it's best to drum into the players that we don't lose to Hibs or take the Sergio approach of just another game? 

For me, the Sergio approach was balanced by Lockie being in the camp. I seem to remember from Robbie's first time in charge he had the "just another game" mentality. Our last 3 decades of results against hibs weren't built on the back of thinking its just another game. We've seen poor Hearts teams beat better Hibs teams over the years, as its drummed in that we won't accept defeat. Its also a regular topic of conversation on .net after every defeat, that Hearts don't accept a Derby defeat like they do. We must drum in to the players how important this game is. 

9 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

I assume Halliday is not cup tied? On bench in 1/4s but un used sub. 

Or have they thrown away all the cup tied rules for the restart of this, as Nesbit would be out for them ? 

9 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

No one cup tied.

Indeed, last seasons Scottish Cup (completed this season) is the football equivalent of ‘Triggers broom’. You might get a medal at the end of it but everyone knows that it really doesn’t count.

I will take gladly take the trophy for ‘get it up ye’ tokens but when all is said and done no club, fan or player is going to look back on this one with any of the affection given to a proper Scottish Cup win.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

For this game best to look it as a semi final of a cup and 2 games from a trophy. 

Hibs, Aberdeen, Raith, Hamilton, shouldn't matter it's a semi final of a trophy we can win. 

A lot of folk tend to go on about the famous 22 (or was it 23?) game unbeaten run against Hibs but, we also went (i think) 17 games unbeaten between 1983 and 1989. I remember an interview many years ago with Alex MacDonald. He was asked why he thought Hearts had such a hold over the Edinburgh derby while he was there, his answer was short and sweet...."simple, we just didnae like them!" No muckin about, just out with it.

7 hours ago, JoeHarper said:

Are opposing fans not allowed on your site my friend?  I'm not a mutant, merely a mere mortal unfortunate enough to support the hibs lol

Welcome.  Were you there for 4-0 and 5-1?  If so, congratulations on your fire drill expertise.

What about that glorious win in the all championship final?  Did you invade the pitch with the other thugs?  

You have so much we can learn from.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, JamboGraham said:

Indeed, last seasons Scottish Cup (completed this season) is the football equivalent of ‘Triggers broom’. You might get a medal at the end of it but everyone knows that it really doesn’t count.

I will take gladly take the trophy for ‘get it up ye’ tokens but when all is said and done no club, fan or player is going to look back on this one with any of the affection given to a proper Scottish Cup win.

Can't agree at all, many of our players will only ever win one or two trophies,if that. 

We've also only  won 3 Cups in over 50 years, delayed or not a cup win would be fantastic. 

Winning the cup, given the last 6 months would be right up there with 98. Rangers, Hibs and celtic or Aberdeen emptied, a cup win and big **** you to Doncaster. 

Getting to a final by emptying hibs will also shut them up for a bit, give us a chance of a cup and make sure hibs can't win it. 

Be a nice ending to the BBC documentary as well. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

A lot of folk tend to go on about the famous 22 (or was it 23?) game unbeaten run against Hibs but, we also went (i think) 17 games unbeaten between 1983 and 1989. I remember an interview many years ago with Alex MacDonald. He was asked why he thought Hearts had such a hold over the Edinburgh derby while he was there, his answer was short and sweet...."simple, we just didnae like them!" No muckin about, just out with it.

Should have not liked every team as much then tbh, would have won more trophies. 

Too many times we'd beat hibs, then a week later some shite would turn us over. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Can't agree at all, many of our players will only ever win one or two trophies,if that. 

We've also only  won 3 Cups in over 50 years, delayed or not a cup win would be fantastic. 

Winning the cup, given the last 6 months would be right up there with 98. Rangers, Hibs and celtic or Aberdeen emptied, a cup win and big **** you to Doncaster. 

Getting to a final by emptying hibs will also shut them up for a bit, give us a chance of a cup and make sure hibs can't win it. 

Be a nice ending to the BBC documentary as well. 

Indeed. 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

For me, the Sergio approach was balanced by Lockie being in the camp. I seem to remember from Robbie's first time in charge he had the "just another game" mentality. Our last 3 decades of results against hibs weren't built on the back of thinking its just another game. We've seen poor Hearts teams beat better Hibs teams over the years, as its drummed in that we won't accept defeat. Its also a regular topic of conversation on .net after every defeat, that Hearts don't accept a Derby defeat like they do. We must drum in to the players how important this game is. 

Absolutely, I would like Locke to speak to them at some point during the build up. Preferably a few minutes before they take to the pitch. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I was listening to a debate the other day about what the best goal you ever saw live was.  Have to say this is up there if not actually it.  

I still get goosebumps when I watch that goal.

19 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Sorry but that’s a pile of pish. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Definitely, they had a wee spell when Steve Archibald was there and running things apparently then we started the 22 game run. It may well have spoilt fans growing up in that era and lifted expectations of what should happen against them, I was too young to really remember the 70s poor record. 

19 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Welcome.  Were you there for 4-0 and 5-1?  If so, congratulations on your fire drill expertise.

What about that glorious win in the all championship final?  Did you invade the pitch with the other thugs?  

You have so much we can learn from.

What 5-1 you talking about? Was at Tynecastle for the De Vries derby aye, and the 4-0. I actually watched the invasion with head in hands thinking like most wtf are they doing to eventually walk on when invited to do so by the stewards. Ruined the day for me in a way but since have come to quite like watching it.

And yep, I was at the other 5-1 and actually sat till the bitter end.

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Not sure if we had a thread on it but everyone goes for these 'super blast' goals but I like good passing goals and the occasion being taken into account as well.

Hartley's first in the 2006 was a top quality goal, finish up there with any  long range effort.

3 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

As cliched as it is you play the game not the occasion. Derbies are won by the team which keeps its discipline and wants it more.

4-0 Hibs 10 men. 5-1 Hibs ten men.

Keep discipline. Be patient. Fight for everything and do your job as an individual and team and you win

30 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Not sure if we had a thread on it but everyone goes for these 'super blast' goals but I like good passing goals and the occasion being taken into account as well.

Hartley's first in the 2006 was a top quality goal, finish up there with any  long range effort.

In general I agree and love a great team goal however Osturk's was made even more special by the context of it being the last minute and preserving our unbeaten run.

Not sure why folk think Neilson will go three at the back when he’s not done all season. Reckon the team will be

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley

Lee Irving

Moore Walker Roberts

Boyce

Frear if Roberts isn’t fit.

He might deploy an extra man in midfield. Who knows 🤷‍♂️ 

TynieGaffer86
9 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Not even hiding it. 

Because I have 86 in my name i’m a Hibs fans.....

Stop talking nonsense and don’t give up the day job 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, TynieGaffer86 said:

Because I have 86 in my name i’m a Hibs fans.....

Stop talking nonsense and don’t give up the day job 👍🏻

Change the year in your name to 2012. There’s a year the lochend spoon burners hate remembering.