Semi final

jamborich

45 minutes ago, rip van tinkle said:

That exactly my point though, how can we dominate by playing three players who are lacking in match sharpness?

If they are unfit you may have a point but don't start with this match sharpness pish they are experienced pros who know the game

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• JoeHarper

• jamborich

Folk putting Halliday in their team and in the same breath excluding Haring due to lack of fitness.  Halliday was blowing out his arse after 10 mins last night and almost sold a goal.

Haring will manage an hour, easy, then Halliday can replace him for the remainder.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not far off, but I think White might be out wide or even Halliday. 

I'd be tempted to play White out wide left.

Yeah good shout actually. That's a pretty solid left side and Hibs right seems to be their strongest area.

Roberts on the right then.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not far off, but I think White might be out wide or even Halliday. 

I'd be tempted to play White out wide left.

Spot on. All the Hibs threat will come down that side with Boyle and McGinn.  I’d also expect them to go with Doidge and Nisbet up top, so Kingsley will provide additional cover for the centre halves.  

Absolute must win this. The players must know that under no uncertain terms that we do not lose to Hibs and certainly not at Hampden. 

Absolutely embarrassing if we don’t beat them regardless of them playing more games or being in the top flight. 

We are Heart of Midlothian and we run this ****ing city. Massive chance to get to another cup final, especially against a Celtic side who are struggling and I’d back us to beat Aberdeen

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Spot on. All the Hibs threat will come down that side with Boyle and McGinn.  I’d also expect them to go with Doidge and Nisbet up top, so Kingsley will provide additional cover for the centre halves.  

Agree. 

I think it will be an open game Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah good shout actually. That's a pretty solid left side and Hibs right seems to be their strongest area.

Roberts on the right then.

Yeah and white has a good bit of pace about him, he's quite rapid. 

25 minutes ago, jamborich said:

If they are unfit you may have a point but don't start with this match sharpness pish they are experienced pros who know the game

This is utter nonsense if you think this.

It doesn't matter how good a player is if they are not fully match fit it tells. They want more time on the ball  as we saw last night with Halliday and Haring and that was against Arbroath who are part timers.

Hibs will be well up for this and have a head start by having a more settled team and added fitness.

We need to be in their faces and to do that we need fully fit players. Now that might mean giving these guys maybe a half each or longer if they are faring well but we don't want to end up getting them injured again just like the last time Haring was at Hampden.

4-2-3-1 with Wighton ahead of Boyce... but plenty options to change it up if needed. White offers pace and will open up space for others.

Wighton

White       Walker      Roberts

Halliday    Haring

Kingsley      Halkett     Popescu    Smith

Gordon

3 minutes ago, kila said:

4-2-3-1 with Wighton ahead of Boyce... but plenty options to change it up if needed. White offers pace and will open up space for others.

Wighton

White       Walker      Roberts

Halliday    Haring

Kingsley      Halkett     Popescu    Smith

Gordon

White at left midfield or wing is definitely not a good idea IMO. He's bad enough at full back. It'll be Roberts and Drs at I'd imagine.

Two centerhalfs look crap. I'd prefer Smith in there tbh, in a back 3 perhaps. 

Halliday nowhere near match fit. 

Lee is a luxury player who's sometimes good at corners. Other than that he's pish more often than not. 

Haring needs to start. 

Walker needs to play no. 10 or second striker. 

Need to start Ginnelly and Roberts, hopefully both are fit. 

If Ginnelly and Roberts are unavailable. 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu 

Moore                                 Kingsley 

Haring.    ????? 

Walker

Wighton.     Boyce

Hibs have 5 in midfield so we will need to combat that in one way or another.

If Walker starts it can only be in a Rudi type role.  Wide or right mid doesn't work for him. We'll also need 9 fully fit outfield to support him.

Robbie is probably too cautious but a curve ball like McGill or not so much so, Cochrane might be a call.

Neither could be worse than Lee at the moment.

Then again Lee was awful for the first 45mins against ICT in his last SC semi, only set up all 3 goals in the second.

Edited by DETTY29

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

White at left midfield or wing is definitely not a good idea IMO. He's bad enough at full back. It'll be Roberts and Drs at I'd imagine.

thought he did really well last night, will offer additional protection against Boyle.. 

2 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

No matter who plays for hearts on the day, lets just hope we ruin the hobos day, and get to the final ,  and also 🤞🤞🤞no injuries 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

If Ginnelly and Roberts are unavailable. 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu 

Moore                                 Kingsley 

Haring.    ????? 

Walker

Wighton.     Boyce

This is it for me, would feel a lot better with Smith marking Nisbet. Kingsley can get more involved in attack and Moore will put the work in. Midfield pairing is a bit of a mystery to me however I can see Lee starting as he has by far the most minutes under his belt

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett

Popescu

Kingsley

Ginnelly/Moore

Lee

Irving

Walker

Roberts

Boyce

I think we have to play wingers. The best part of our attacking play against Dundee was Smith and Kingsley linking with the wingers in front of them and getting forward. 

Would be equally happy with Wighton starting up front.

Starting Naismith is a huge risk given his recent form and fitness.

Starting to think back 3 is way to go:

1. Wingers injured so need width but can get best forwards in the team

2. CBs are average and a 3rd would help against Hibs two up top

3 Haring could start in a less physically demanding area

Gordon

Halkett

Haring

Pop

Smith

Halliday

Irving

Kingsley

Walker

Naisy

Boyce

Subs: Stewart, Brandon, White, Wighton, Lee + two from Frear/Roberts/Gino/Moore

Although the midfield 3 aren’t the most dynamic, think they’d be fine. Particularly with two wingbacks

Edited by R1874

Francis Albert

As posted on the Arbroath match thread ... an under18 team for me if we have to turn up.

Last season  is over as much  in the Cup as league. 

But Celtic have to have their shot at their silly quadruple treble. We should not be dignifying this shit by treating it seriously.

Edited by Francis Albert

17 hours ago, jamborich said:

Confident 

Gordon

Smith halcket popescui Kingsley 

Walker haring Lee halliday

Naismith  boyce

Control midfield we win

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley

Walker Haring Irvine winger (but who ? )

No. 10 Naismith. 

Boyce

I really wish folk would stop thinking Walker can play RM.

He is no good there at all.....he doesn’t have the pace or the engine to beat a full back or constantly track back. He can play this ‘No.10‘ and that’s about it. 

This is going to be a tough industrious type looking team and we certainly ain’t going to be all cavalier and play 4 attacking players. 

We’ll be looking to make this scrappy and grab the only goal.....we won’t be trying to play them off the park. We just aren’t there yet.

33 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Gordon 

Walker Haring Irvine winger (but who ? )

No. 10 Naismith. 

Boyce

Not bad, Moore probably. Walker a bit of a waste of time out wide but probably still our best option. 

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He is no good there at all.....he doesn’t have the pace or the engine to beat a full back or constantly track back. He can play this ‘No.10‘ and that’s about it. 

This is going to be a tough industrious type looking team and we certainly ain’t going to be all cavalier and play 4 attacking players. 

We’ll be looking to make this scrappy and grab the only goal.....we won’t be trying to play them off the park. We just aren’t there yet.

Who plays right mid then?

I'm less confident than I was before last night, and they're further into their season than we are and seem to be doing pretty well. I'd go 4-5-1 and hope to nick a goal or make it to penalties.

1 minute ago, Maple said:

I'm less confident than I was before last night, and they're further into their season than we are and seem to be doing pretty well. I'd go 4-5-1 and hope to nick a goal or make it to penalties.

They’ve been beating defensive sides this season. We need to find some means to attack them and put them under some sort of pressure. Not disagreeing, that we can’t go all cavalier but we can’t just hope to nick Angola with no plans on how to attack. We will lose if we sit in and hope to frustrated them. Our centre backs are shaky as **** for a start.  

If Gino and Roberts miss out I would play Moore    Before Frear. 

Back 5 picks itself 

Boyce and walker should start

i would probably bring back Irving 

would be tempted to throw in Naisy as a gamble

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If Gino doesn’t make it.....Roberts. Halliday to play LM.

Fair enough. I agree walker can only play number 10 but he has got a goal in him and knows how derbies work. If it was anybody else but hibs I’d play him at 10 or nowhere but just not sure what I’d do. 

8 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

We are going in as underdogs which is understandable,if the

hearts team which beat Dundee turn up then we have a decent chance

a performance like last night then the best hope is winning on penalties 

A performance like last night and we will get nowhere near penalties. 

9 hours ago, wavydavy said:

This is utter nonsense if you think this.

It doesn't matter how good a player is if they are not fully match fit it tells. They want more time on the ball  as we saw last night with Halliday and Haring and that was against Arbroath who are part timers.

Hibs will be well up for this and have a head start by having a more settled team and added fitness.

We need to be in their faces and to do that we need fully fit players. Now that might mean giving these guys maybe a half each or longer if they are faring well but we don't want to end up getting them injured again just like the last time Haring was at Hampden.

Feck me obvious you have never played football and your comment about hibs being up for it are you saying we can't compete because they are fitter...dearly me

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Folk assuming we’ll just turn up and win because it’s Hibs are stuck in the 80’s and 90’s. This is going to be a tough match to get through.

We have utterly ragdolled them on numerous occasions since the 90s. Christ, we beat them twice last season when we were beyond rubbish.

Get a grip. 

Everything we’ve done from the moment Robbie came back was set up to play 4231 and to get the ball wide. That was all with the semi in mind. We won’t play 442, we won’t play 352, we won’t play 451. We will play 4231, 100%. Haring has to start and I’d play him alongside Lee or Irving, Halliday isn’t sharp enough yet. If Ginnelly is out, Moore will more than likely play as I think Frear had a shocker Friday. Boyce played no bad last night and will start on Saturday with Wighton ready to come on if needed. Back two look shaky. They haven’t made any huge errors yet but they’ve been really close to in recent matches, they’ll have to be bang on it. My biggest worry is all hibs strengths go up against our (IMO) weaknesses. Middle of the park and at the back. They have pace up top and out wide and Nesbitt and Doige are physical and like to turn defenders, something we struggle with. Goigic looks solid so Walker will need to be bang on it. Tempo and aggression is what’s needed from the off. 

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett 

Popescu 

Kingsley 

Lee 

Haring 

Roberts

Walker 

Moore 

Boyce 

I really don’t want to see Walker wide with Naisy as the 10, I hope that’s not what happens. I also don’t want to see Wighton wide. 

8 hours ago, Baxfee said:

I think naisy will start. 

He should.

It’s his sort of game, he’s probably been kept/prepared for this one and, It’ll give these b@stards something else to worry about.

1 hour ago, jamborich said:

Feck me obvious you have never played football and your comment about hibs being up for it are you saying we can't compete because they are fitter...dearly me

You are wrong I have played football and many other sports and was very competetive. I also know how difficult it is to give your all when you are not 100% fit.

You have taken my post out of context to support your argument.

I never said we can't compete. You are making things up that I never said.

Below is the post you replied to and my points were relating to that.

That exactly my point though, how can we dominate by playing three players who are lacking in match sharpness?

If they are unfit you may have a point but don't start with this match sharpness pish they are experienced pros who know the game.

Edited by wavydavy

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

We have utterly ragdolled them on numerous occasions since the 90s. Christ, we beat them twice last season when we were beyond rubbish.

Get a grip. 

Grow up.

I am fully aware of what victories we’ve had and when.

But back in the 80’s and 90’s all we had to do was turn up and a win was likely regardless of league positions and form etc. Some still think this is the case.....and they’ll be the same folk who’ll go tonto if we don’t get a result.

28 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Everything we’ve done from the moment Robbie came back was set up to play 4231 and to get the ball wide. That was all with the semi in mind. We won’t play 442, we won’t play 352, we won’t play 451. We will play 4231, 100%. Haring has to start and I’d play him alongside Lee or Irving, Halliday isn’t sharp enough yet. If Ginnelly is out, Moore will more than likely play as I think Frear had a shocker Friday. Boyce played no bad last night and will start on Saturday with Wighton ready to come on if needed. Back two look shaky. They haven’t made any huge errors yet but they’ve been really close to in recent matches, they’ll have to be bang on it. My biggest worry is all hibs strengths go up against our (IMO) weaknesses. Middle of the park and at the back. They have pace up top and out wide and Nesbitt and Doige are physical and like to turn defenders, something we struggle with. Goigic looks solid so Walker will need to be bang on it. Tempo and aggression is what’s needed from the off. 

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett 

Popescu 

Kingsley 

Lee 

Haring 

Roberts

Walker 

Moore 

Boyce 

I really don’t want to see Walker wide with Naisy as the 10, I hope that’s not what happens. I also don’t want to see Wighton wide. 

With injuries to Roberts andGino and Fear not looking up to much, Moore is a decent shout.

Edited by DETTY29

4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

In even more surprised that folk  think Robbie Neilson will start with 2 upfront against Hibs 

He will overload the midfield and try and keep their width and pace out of the game.

We can handle their strikers as neither runs in behind. Stopping crosses is essential.

Then hopefully we have enough up front and we’re quick enough on the breaks to hurt them

We’ll be set up to counterattack. Stop them playing and pinch a goal. Neilson’s done that everytime he’s come up against Hibs.

4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Jamie can only really plat in a Rudi type role, with everyone working their knackers off for him, so he can find that wee piece of magic or two.

No.10 or not at all.

Edited by DETTY29

Gordon

Haring Halliday

Walker Naismith Roberts

Boyce

Hibs will probably play 4-4-2 that they’ve been playing. They’re not as strong in the middle of the park as they have been in recent years, so win our battles in there and I reckon we take control of the game. Their threat comes from the right and up top.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Jamie can only really plat in a Rudi type role, with everyone working their knackers off for him, so he can find that wee piece of magic or two.

No.10 or not at all.

Agree with you and Drylaw, playing him wide cost us the replay at ER. 
It will be interesting to see how we set up, we might go with 3 at the back or across the midfield with two wide men. I’m watching them now and they went 442 today with Mallan wide left in front of Stevenson. Ridiculous penalty, no contact at all, terrible from Dikamona who then got a bad injury. 

R

32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

He should.

It’s his sort of game, he’s probably been kept/prepared for this one and, It’ll give these b@stards something else to worry about.

If at all fit Naismith simply has to start. Still our best outfield player by some way and he’s made for these occasions. 

Midfield looks our biggest worry so need to flood it, 4-5-1 for me. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Gordon

Haring Halliday

Walker Naismith Roberts

Boyce

Hibs will probably play 4-4-2 that they’ve been playing. They’re not as strong in the middle of the park as they have been in recent years, so win our battles in there and I reckon we take control of the game. Their threat comes from the right and up top.

That team has two slow unfit midfielders, a slow lazy RM, an unfit 10, and a winger who might not be fit. 
Boyle and Nesbit as you say are the threat, Doidge to a lesser extent. 

29 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

No.10 or not at all.

Not sure the Alice band is doing him any favours either. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Not sure the Alice band is doing him any favours either. 

Someone probably told him he looks like Jack Grealish, same single figure IQ. 

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Someone probably told him he looks like Jack Grealish, same single figure IQ. 

There endeth the similarity.