Are we better than last season?

Diadora Van Basten

I’ll always remember Daniel for his passion, energy and enthusiasm in the dugout. We didn’t have the players to play the style he tried to implement and that was his downfall. We had the slowest central defence in the league. Hamilton exposed us twice after 15 mins and Daniel should have realised his squad was unfit, lazy and shite. It was he who inserted a relegation clause into his contract so maybe he didn’t have the self belief to keep us up. Maybe if he had a pre season he could have sorted out the former incumbents mess but he was deep in the brown stuff with what he inherited. A few games that spring to mind left me feeling that Daniel was slightly out his depth and the job was bigger than he anticipated.  

We will never forget the two wins over the Huns and skelping  the wee team on their own patch. If a miracle happens and we taste victory in the SC cup then a big nod to Daniel for playing his part. Furthermore, I will never forget his kind gesture of foregoing his salary to help others, whilst still working behind the scenes for our club in his native Germany. Unlike our former manager who sucked every bit of life and money out our club. He left us in the shit first time around and I’m still struggling to forgive him for that. Second time around I never will. I don’t think he’ll every be remembered as fondly as he was as a player imo! 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Weakened Offender

• Last Laff

• FJT

7 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Mate, give up the ghost. You're across pretty much every thread spouting this pish. Stendal was just another failure in a list of them. Its done, over, finished. Let it go man.

You need to get of my jock mate 😂, I wasn't even talking to you yah freak. 

Guest ToqueJambo
14 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Glad you are understanding, do i like Stendel over Robbie yes, do I want Robbie to fail no, but what pisses me of is you unlike others, have been big enough to step back make an assessment on how you saw things and rather than go ahh Stendel this Stendels that. 

Have seen the guy had a rather tough job when he came into the club, in know way do i make excuses for the guy should he have won more absolutely, but let's not forget what he was left with. 

These players were shit for 2.5 years we hadn't been shit from just overnight, it was a long draining period under Craig Levein, this isn't a dig at the guy but i never had one hearts fan come up to me at any time, saying Levein is some manager. 

Levein as a player couldn't fault the guy, what a F****** player could've he went further if it hadn't been for injures who knows. 

What annoys me is people saying he is a PHM after the cup final he should've said to Ann, Right Ann I've had a crack at it I've kept us mid table, but don't want to go on any futher as manager. 

He didn't because he knew if he stepped down as manager, Ann was probably going to say well we can't have you going back to DOF Craig. 

This time we will see if Robbie has what it takes, this time he can be judged as his own person, don't see JJ having as much say as Craig did. 

So i can fully judge Neilson this time around, Hearts have to play attacking football and this is my worry under Neilson, he has the tendency to go 2 goals up and rather than going for the killer third goal, sits off teams and invites pressure. 

I have no doubts Robbie will get us promoted at a canter, my doubts are can he have us, recognised outwith the old firm as best of the rest. 

I hope he can. 

Damn Neilson and his pesky tendency to go two goals up!

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Damn Neilson and his pesky tendency to go two goals up!

No problem with him going two goals, all for that kill the game and get the killer third goal, rather than sitting on a two goal lead, hibs wasn't the only time Dundee at home was a game i remember, think King got injured and he brought on gomis. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No problem with him going two goals, all for that kill the game and get the killer third goal, rather than sitting on a two goal lead, hibs wasn't the only time Dundee at home was a game i remember, think King got injured and he brought on gomis. 

Yeah, he's an intelligent manager who accepts we're not going to dominate for 90 mins and protects leads when he thinks he needs to and goes for it at other times.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Not a good one. 

Bologna, Bayern, Villa and Celtic seemed to disagree.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Bologna seemed to disagree.

Ha, true - forgotten him already 😂

I'm glad we're not going in to this season with White as first choice is what I'm trying to say! 

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah, he's an intelligent manager who accepts we're not going to dominate for 90 mins and protects leads when he thinks he needs to and goes for it at other times.

Sorry i disagree. 

On 19/10/2020 at 14:22, Weakened Offender said:

Tommy Wright is/was a better manager than that moron who took Hearts to the bottom on the league. He also enjoyed European success against Rosenborg and FC Luzern. Pretty decent achievement for a wee club like Saints.

Sorry going to go back to you on this, Tommy Wright sussed out Stendel during his time at the club, I take it you like Robbie as manager?. 

Just really wanted your thoughts on this 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry going to go back to you on this, Tommy Wright sussed out Stendel during his time at the club, I take it you like Robbie as manager?. 

Just really wanted your thoughts on this 

Apology accepted. 

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry i disagree. 

So you think Neilson's game plan should work every single time. I could post a video of Klopp's Liverpool getting beat 7-2 by a Villa team that would have been demoted last season had the SPFL been in charge of that league, but what would it prove?

hold on a minute are we seriously getting ripped in to Robbies first spell at Hearts? Given the shite served up before and since? You wonder what some fans look for honestly.

It used to be hibs fans that had the "at least we play good football" comfort blanket while we finished above them every season. Is that now what we're after? Robbie won the championship at a canter like no team has managed since in a league with rangers and hibs in it. Then in europe at first time of asking and showed at Dundee United it was no fluke. First season at MK Dons he dragged them away from the relegation zone too. 

I don't think we're in a position to be turning our noses up at the only hearts manager who's qualified for europe since Rudi Skacel left. And yes I am aware that we lost to Birkirkara and Hibs, but if measuring success on two matches is how we're doing it then we're as well getting Levein back in for beating celtic 4-0 and ruining the hibs european party. Or bring back Locke for ruining the relegation party, idiocy to the extreme. 

Lets not pretend that another manager couldn't have done better than stendel if allowed 4 signings as well.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

So you think Neilson's game plan should work every single time. I could post a video of Klopp's Liverpool getting beat 7-2 by a Villa team that would have been demoted last season had the SPFL been in charge of that league, but what would it prove?

Klopp has been at Liverpool how long?, has won honours with them no comparison mate. 

8 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

hold on a minute are we seriously getting ripped in to Robbies first spell at Hearts? Given the shite served up before and since? You wonder what some fans look for honestly.

It used to be hibs fans that had the "at least we play good football" comfort blanket while we finished above them every season. Is that now what we're after? Robbie won the championship at a canter like no team has managed since in a league with rangers and hibs in it. Then in europe at first time of asking and showed at Dundee United it was no fluke. First season at MK Dons he dragged them away from the relegation zone too. 

I don't think we're in a position to be turning our noses up at the only hearts manager who's qualified for europe since Rudi Skacel left. And yes I am aware that we lost to Birkirkara and Hibs, but if measuring success on two matches is how we're doing it then we're as well getting Levein back in for beating celtic 4-0 and ruining the hibs european party. Or bring back Locke for ruining the relegation party, idiocy to the extreme. 

Lets not pretend that another manager couldn't have done better than stendel if allowed 4 signings as well.

No I'm pointing out that you shouldn't throw stones at glass houses 😊.

8 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

rudi must stay

I think a few signings have made us stronger namely Craig Gordon. We have Stendel to thank for Liam Boyce who will be key too. Hibs won't be easy though, but we look a shoot on site right now and I'm sure the Hibees will be worried 

Why do you idiots fall for this crap???

Levein: Guaranteed arguments.

Neilson last time: Guaranteed arguments.

Dont fall for it.

I think we're better at the back with the players we've got in.  Still a learning curve as how they operate against certain teams or individual players.   Already proven by letting Adam run through and score.  To be fair I might have let him do similar, chancing the fact he misses more than he hits.   A mistake that time but mistakes like that will cost us in the cup. 

I think we will be OK and not worth the drama of debate.   The arbroath game can't come soon enough ☺   I am personally excited and can't wait for it myself. 

😀

Guest ToqueJambo
43 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No I'm pointing out that you shouldn't throw stones at glass houses

You're acting like someone who is standing inside their own glass house throwing stones at it. We have a good manager now who is focused on nothing more than winning games and getting promoted. If Stendel was here it would still be all gegenpress this and gegenpress that. That's fine against teams that play football against us, but not against the vast majority of teams in Scotland, including at least half the teams in the Premiership as we saw.

Neilson on the other hand is more focused on what we do when we have the ball, which we will have at least 60% of the time most games probably. He'll just tell the players to win the ball back fast when we lose it, not base our whole game around what to do when the other team has the ball and press high up the park against teams that are happy to punt it over the top.

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You're acting like someone who is standing inside their own glass house throwing stones at it. We have a good manager now who is focused on nothing more than winning games and getting promoted. If Stendel was here it would still be all gegenpress this and gegenpress that. That's fine against teams that play football against us, but not against the vast majority of teams in Scotland, including at least half the teams in the Premiership as we saw.

Neilson on the other hand is more focused on what we do when we have the ball, which we will have at least 60% of the time most games probably. He'll just tell the players to win the ball back fast when we lose it, not base our whole game around what to do when the other team has the ball and press high up the park against teams that are happy to punt it over the top.

You are making Stendel out to be just a pressing coach, he was far more than that virtually every game we had under him we controlled possession in fact, even against Celtic and Rangers 

Stendel has his team playing possession based football, with the idea of trying to win the ball back high up the park, he's not just press press press 😂

Stendel was shite at Hearts. There can be no argument. His record speaks for itself.

Kamikaze, suicidal football that had me with my head in my hands for the most part.

It actually angers me still that he thought that style of play was what a club in our position required.

Madness.

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You say high press football doesn't work against smaller teams in Scotland, sorry but who is top of the Scottish Premiership right now? 

Just now, Whatever said:

Stendel was shite at Hearts. There can be no argument. His record speaks for itself.

Kamikaze, suicidal football that had me with my head in my hands for the most part.

It actually angers me still that he thought that style of play was what a club in our position required.

Madness.

Still is show no fear to any team, winning mentality we will impose our tactics on the opposition, not sit of them, give me a team that goes out to win games, rather than one that sets up not to get beat everyday of the week🤔

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Still is show no fear to any team, winning mentality we will impose our tactics on the opposition, not sit of them, give me a team that goes out to win games, rather than one that sets up not to get beat everyday of the week🤔

Not if that manager’s name is Daniel Stendel.

A complete charlatan. Took a lot of persuading to even come here, then thought it was beneath him and he’d be able to do things his way. How wrong was he?!

Fact of the matter is he took us to the bottom of the league.

We’re well rid.

Edited by Whatever

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Give me at team that amasses points. 

1 minute ago, Whatever said:

Not if that manager’s name is Daniel Stendel.

A complete charlatan. Took a lot of persuading to even come here, then thought it was beneath him and he’d be able to do things his way. How wrong was he?!

Fact of the matter is he took us to the bottom of the league.

We’re well rid.

Disagree unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Disagree unfortunately. 

That’s life.

Your defending of him is nothing but admirable but he ain’t ever coming back. Nor he should given his record.

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It's not just about that dave, a club that in my opinion is superior than everyone else in Scotland bar celtic and rangers, needs to have a culture and under Stendel that's what i think given time would've happened, look at bielsa at Leeds, Klopp at Liverpool, Pep it took them time to get there ideas across to the players in peps first season at City he came fourth, in Klopp's first season at Liverpool i think they came fourth, Bielsa at Leeds didn't get them promoted first time around. 

All these guys needed time, look at Steven Gerrard his 3rd season at Rangers. 

It's not fair to properly judge someone unless they are given time. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

It's not just about that dave, a club that in my opinion is superior than everyone else in Scotland bar celtic and rangers, needs to have a culture and under Stendel that's what i think given time would've happened, look at bielsa at Leeds, Klopp at Liverpool, Pep it took them time to get there ideas across to the players in peps first season at City he came fourth, in Klopp's first season at Liverpool i think they came fourth, Bielsa at Leeds didn't get them promoted first time around. 

Maybe I’m missing something. Was Stendel not wanting to leave?

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

In your opinion dave do you feel we have that in Robbie Neilson?. 

1 minute ago, topsport said:

Maybe I’m missing something. Was Stendel not wanting to leave?

Nope Stendel wanted to stay, they he was treated was rather disappointing to be honest. 

He told the Edinburgh Evening News that he would like to stay at Tynecastle, although the decision is ultimately not his. He said: "I said to Ann I want to finish my work at Hearts. I told her I want to build up a new team and help them to get back to the Premiership.17 Jun 2020

Edited by Bongo 1874

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Nope Stendel wanted to stay, they he was treated was rather disappointing to be honest. 

He told the Edinburgh Evening News that he would like to stay at Tynecastle, although the decision is ultimately not his. He said: "I said to Ann I want to finish my work at Hearts. I told her I want to build up a new team and help them to get back to the Premiership.17 Jun 2020

Confusing then, to have a relegation release clause?

anyway, I admire your ambition and hope for blow them away finesse football, I admit to having initially been seduced by the gegenpress idea too, but reality bit. We were in deep water and he couldn’t adapt and grind the points out we really should have acquired, especially against the crappier teams. The rest is outrageously unfair history.

we all need to move on. 
Robbie’s start has been good and the little I’ve seen so far has been promising. 
look forward.

Use the way we’ve been treated as something to drive us on. 
forget the rest. It’s futile not to . In my opinion of course 😉

23 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I agree with this, I think Stendel could have been our Wenger, not in longevity but in terms of turning everything around into a beast of a club like arsenal were in Wenget's early years

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

His contract expired when we were demoted as part of the relegation clause Inserted at his request. I believe he was offered half his previous salary but refused. This is when Robbie was approached and he accepted straight away. All done in less than 24hrs. 

Agreed things could’ve been handled differently and I really felt for him and his backroom team.  I also believe Stendel would’ve turned us around given time. I’m of the opinion that the players failed the manager and the club.  Players that were brought in by the previous regime and no direct fault of DS. He had one short window to make it work. This expensively assembled playing squad, and a few of our high earners on lengthy contracts, should be throughly ashamed of their contribution and tarnishing our great reputation and tradition. We surrendered far too meekly to lesser opposition for a club of our stature. 

Klopp wouldn’t have got a tune  out that squad. I do wonder why he persisted with poppadom hands though. I do blame him for that as it cost us numerous points along with certain individuals. 

Thankfully Robbie has gotten rid of a lot of deadwood and we’ll shift some more when their contracts are up next year. It’s time to unite under our new manager though imo. No good comes from blaming others for our demise. I’m pleased with what Robbie has done and he gets my full support. I’d love him to win the semi if only to finally shut some of our support up for the 2016 cup defeat and only to prove to our doubters that he has what it takes. It’s in the history books now and we can’t change it.

I for one believe that Ann did indeed make the right decision in appointing him our new manager. 

3 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

His contract expired when we were demoted as part of the relegation clause Inserted at his request. I believe he was offered half his previous salary but refused. This is when Robbie was approached and he accepted straight away. All done in less than 24hrs. 

Agreed things could’ve been handled differently and I really felt for him and his backroom team.  I also believe Stendel would’ve turned us around given time. I’m of the opinion that the players failed the manager and the club.  Players that were brought in by the previous regime and no direct fault of DS. He had one short window to make it work. This expensively assembled playing squad, and a few of our high earners on lengthy contracts, should be throughly ashamed of their contribution and tarnishing our great reputation and tradition. We surrendered far too meekly to lesser opposition for a club of our stature. 

Klopp wouldn’t have got a tune  out that squad. I do wonder why he persisted with poppadom hands though. I do blame him for that as it cost us numerous points along with certain individuals. 

Thankfully Robbie has gotten rid of a lot of deadwood and we’ll shift some more when their contracts are up next year. It’s time to unite under our new manager though imo. No good comes from blaming others for our demise. I’m pleased with what Robbie has done and he gets my full support. I’d love him to win the semi if only to finally shut some of our support up for the 2016 cup defeat and only to prove to our doubters that he has what it takes. It’s in the history books now and we can’t change it.

I for one believe that Ann did indeed make the right decision in appointing him our new manager. 

Cheers for clarification re the contractual stuff 👍 

who knows if Stendel would have transformed things for the longer term, we’ll never know. But I’m with you on fully backing Robbie now. I was bloody delighted watching us put 6 past Dundee the other night for starters 

arbroath and hibs next please 

On stendel, one unfathomable thing was continuing to pick Joel. Costing us numerous precious points. Stevie wonder could’ve seen he had to be dropped. 
If Gordon avoids injury, he’ll be worth numerous points to us this year and could be vital in the cup. Night and day improvement 

The Stendel thing has been done to death, I get he was dealt a sh1t hand from the minute he got here but the truth is he tried to play free flowing attacking football when we were in a relegation battle he also forgot our defense was utter sh1te, Every time we pressed up on teams they would just lump it up the park and score at will! He failed to adapt to the circumstances Imo. Unfortunate but true.

Yes the football was more exciting to watch but also more terrifying at the same time.

Sticking with scissorhands in goal is sackable in it's own right.

He is gone now anyway and i believe Neilson is a much better fit for us, He might not play gegenpress but the fact is he has won the last 4 games on the trot and we actually look like a well organized team now capable of having a consistently good season. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Unless I am mistaken it looked like we played a pretty high press against Dundee. The defence possibly weren’t as high up the pitch as under Stendel but we put a lot of pressure on their defenders most of the game 

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

In your opinion dave do you feel we have that in Robbie Neilson?. 

In the Championship, certainly. We’ll need to give him more time in

the premiership if and when ee get there. The last time in the premiership he seemed to change his approach/strategy to be less attacking, for some reason, during the first season. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

the premiership if and when ee get there. The last time in the premiership he seemed to change his approach/strategy to be less attacking, for some reason, during the first season. 

I think people forget that we were only in our second year out of administration that season and hadn’t yet properly consolidated our finances - our budget for players wasn’t what it was last summer for example.

Taking all of that into account Robbie had to be a bit more pragmatic as he couldn’t get the quality of player in all positions to play as openly and attacking as he could in the Championship.

That said we won the first 5 games of the league that year and folk were still on here moaning about him, our style of play and “eye bleeding football”

I hope he gets more of a break this time round.

SectionDJambo

I think that clubs like Aberdeen and Hibs could, in the not too distant future, regret not looking at the bigger picture as far as their competing with Hearts is concerned. Their primary motive looks to have been harming Hearts to their long term competitive advantage.

If they, and others, had kept Hearts in the Premiership through reconstruction, we would probably still have Stendel as manager, with most of the players that we have since moved on. The coaches and players we have replaced them with, who look like improving the performance and style of our team, wouldn’t be at Tynecastle. Last season would probably have been written off as a blip, with no real harm done.
We would, very possibly, still be underperforming in the Premiership, offering not much by way of real challenge at the top end of the table, with not much sign of anything changing soon.

Instead, we have a support that is thirsty for revenge and will not tolerate any future sign of complacency by the club and a team that has shown, albeit early, signs of playing fast, effective football. Hopefully, Hearts have been stirred from our slumber with a new and positive determination to overcome the rival clubs who would have seen us severely damaged.

Time will tell us soon enough.

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

The Stendel thing has been done to death, I get he was dealt a sh1t hand from the minute he got here but the truth is he tried to play free flowing attacking football when we were in a relegation battle he also forgot our defense was utter sh1te, Every time we pressed up on teams they would just lump it up the park and score at will! He failed to adapt to the circumstances Imo. Unfortunate but true.

Yes the football was more exciting to watch but also more terrifying at the same time.

Sticking with scissorhands in goal is sackable in it's own right.

He is gone now anyway and i believe Neilson is a much better fit for us, He might not play gegenpress but the fact is he has won the last 4 games on the trot and we actually look like a well organized team now capable of having a consistently good season. 

Spot on mate !

Does Stendel have another job yet? If not, may suggest why he had a sudden change of heart about managing us after wanting out. A job you don’t really want is better than no job during a pandemic. And I say that as a big fan of the guy!

Edited by Stendelnator

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I think that is where the influence of CL came in. 

10 hours ago, Smithee said:

I agree with this, I think Stendel could have been our Wenger, not in longevity but in terms of turning everything around into a beast of a club like arsenal were in Wenget's early years

We are where we are. I have calmed a bit since it happened but there is a bit of me that will always wonder what could happened and had we stuck with DS. Something we will never go away. 

I also recognise that he made mistakes, probably trying to implement too much tactical change and given the players that he had At the time, being the main one. 

I loved his passion though. His fearless attitude toward going for the jugular at every given opportunity. Kicking things around the dugout, the antics, all of it 

I mean, when you love the club personally, and Then suddenly an outsider appears. Someone who has no affiliation with the club whatsoever and you see them identifying with the things that make you Love the club as a supporter, what’s not to like. ?

He gave up his wages for months and months - hardly the type that was there Just for the money regardless of what he was earning in the first place.

Felt really sorry for the guy and how it all ended. It is what it is but when all is said and done he didn’t get anywhere near the same time afforded to him as the likes of CL did so I just think any comparisons made Between the 2 are completely unfair in this respect.

CL is far more accountable for our current standing than DS will ever be and for the same applied reasoning. 

RN has started really well with us, and long may it continue. He has my full support And backing

As for DS, Really Really hope He gets back in the game and goes on to have a successful career. Will always keep an eye out for his results and will always wonder what would have happened, had we stuck with him long term. 

56 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

We are where we are. I have calmed a bit since it happened but there is a bit of me that will always wonder what could happened and had we stuck with DS. Something we will never go away. 

I also recognise that he made mistakes, probably trying to implement too much tactical change and given the players that he had At the time, being the main one. 

I loved his passion though. His fearless attitude toward going for the jugular at every given opportunity. Kicking things around the dugout, the antics, all of it 

I mean, when you love the club personally, and Then suddenly an outsider appears. Someone who has no affiliation with the club whatsoever and you see them identifying with the things that make you Love the club as a supporter, what’s not to like. ?

He gave up his wages for months and months - hardly the type that was there Just for the money regardless of what he was earning in the first place.

Felt really sorry for the guy and how it all ended. It is what it is but when all is said and done he didn’t get anywhere near the same time afforded to him as the likes of CL did so I just think any comparisons made Between the 2 are completely unfair in this respect.

CL is far more accountable for our current standing than DS will ever be and for the same applied reasoning. 

RN has started really well with us, and long may it continue. He has my full support And backing

As for DS, Really Really hope He gets back in the game and goes on to have a successful career. Will always keep an eye out for his results and will always wonder what would have happened, had we stuck with him long term. 

To a degree I think DS will go on to the what if pile with Sergio. (Of course HE will ALWAYS have the greatest derby result ever). I’d have been interested to see what he could have achieved with his own players.

Right man at wrong time IMO. To say HE took us to the bottom of the league is disingenuous at best. 
Time will tell if he is another Biesla