Are we better than last season?

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

We will probably know the answer to this when we play Hibs in the semi final.

It does seem to me that the players we have brought in are better than the players who have left.

We also appear to have a settled formation and are no longer putting square pegs into round holes.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Weakened Offender

• Last Laff

• Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten
1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

And a manager 

Doing a great job so far.

Has repaired a lot of our failings from last year and we have options to cover for injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

We have an actual goalkeeper, actual wingers, an actual left back, and midfielders who actually want to be here; while we've retained the quality we had in the likes of Boyce and Smith. It's early days but I think we're undoubtedly better, there's finally a balance in the squad. 

I think so, but I'm not that hopeful for the semi, due to the amount of game time the wee team have had compared to ourselves. Its just a bit early in our season  to be playing them

5 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

We have an actual goalkeeper, actual wingers, an actual left back, and midfielders who actually want to be here; while we've retained the quality we had in the likes of Boyce and Smith. It's early days but I think we're undoubtedly better, there's finally a balance in the squad. 

this  along with the fact we have a very decent manager

Edited by 1971fozzy

2 minutes ago, Marczero said:

I think so, but I'm not that hopeful for the semi, due to the amount of game time the wee team have had compared to ourselves. Its just a bit early in our season  to be playing them

I think it’s just about the ideal time for us to reach an early-season peak. One more game under our belts by then, hopefully no injuries. 

8 minutes ago, Marczero said:

We’ve played 13 games with another one before the semi. And two more weeks of training. The only 3 players not up to speed yet are Naismith, Halliday and Haring. 3 big players right enough but I’m not having lack of match fitness as a pre-ready excuse. If they are better than us on the day then fine, we’re coming from a low base and might not be good enough to beat them, but match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by JimmyCant

Definitely better but will be a test against Hibs.

I'm sure Robbie will shore up the defence, shocking defending for Dundee goals.

Certainly playing much better. Passing and movement is greatly improved, goalkeeping is night and day, and team spirit seems to be much stronger. Certain players seem to have had a fire lit under them and they are responding very well. Still some pretty big concerns about game control, our centre backs and final ball delivery in from the wings, but 6 months out of football will do that. Kingsley mentioned in his interview last night that they seem to be aware of it and Robbie is working with them to improve. Think the semi final will come to soon for us, expect Hibs to pick out and exploit our weakness (unless we have Harring back in defensive mid) but we are certainly on the right track. 

17 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Every part of the pitch, yes.  Only concern for me is central defence. 

This. Need another CB but hopefully a fit Harring in front of them can sort that out 

15 minutes ago, leginten said:

I think it’s just about the ideal time for us to reach an early-season peak. One more game under our belts by then, hopefully no injuries. 

You could also argue that we will be fresher.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We wouldn’t have put 6 goals past anyone from any league last season let alone what in theory is the second strongest team in the same league as us

39 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

It does seem to me that the players we have brought in are better than the players who have left.

We also appear to have a settled formation and are no longer putting square pegs into round holes.

Robbie has built a team with a lot less money to spend than his predecessor and his aim is to get us promoted.

As much as this looks a good team I am sure if we are promoted then Robbie will want to strengthen even more.

When he does that then it is the time to make comparisons.

I am not sure that the team we had at the end of last season would have produced a performance like last night's though.

The big difference for me is that Robbie had a plan from the outset and signed the players to put that plan into action.

I want to say yes but so far it’s caveated by only having played one league game and being in a lower division.

The signs are good though: We have a top class goalkeeper, replaced Hickey with an experienced left back who is probably on a par ability wise, Haring is back, Boyce is over the niggles he had towards the latter stages of last season, Walker looks like a man on a mission. We’ve also trimmed the squad big time which means less case of shoehorning subpar players in or risking bad eggs in the changing room.

All in all, a better team remains to be seen but certainly a better season awaits

A_A wehatethehibs

Too early to tell but the squad looks a lot more balanced in the attacking areas. We’ve got a lot more width and some players like Walker and Wighton look much improved. 

Not convinced we’ve improved our defence much, I expect Popescu to be an Ozturk type - will do a job in the championship but I don’t think good enough long term. A bit clumsy looking at times. But thank god we have Craig Gordon behind the back 4, at least when teams do get chances we have a keeper who will make saves. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
43 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Yes on the basis of two things - we have a proper keeper and a proper left back

20 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Definitely better but will be a test against Hibs.

I'm sure Robbie will shore up the defence, shocking defending for Dundee goals.

A fit Haring and Halliday will sort that I think.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
27 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Every part of the pitch, yes.  Only concern for me is central defence. 

My only concern, and this is just for the semi, is grit in midfield but I’m 100% certain Irving and Lee won’t start against Hibs - I mean both of them. We may play with a 3.

I have no concern for the Championship. 

I would like an “out ball” striker - Boyce didn’t really provide that last night - but it’s not a concern.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

I'd be cautious about making comparisons. Dundee had a go last night and as a result the match was more open. One of our big problems last year was that we couldn't break the shite teams down.

5 minutes ago, sum31uk said:

I'd be cautious about making comparisons. Dundee had a go last night and as a result the match was more open. One of our big problems last year was that we couldn't break the shite teams down.

We’ll find out soon enough how we look against smaller teams but we have far more pace, mobility, hunger and shape than last season. 

1 hour ago, leginten said:

And no flipping covid!!!

Yes. Craig Gordon the main difference but we have good options in all areas.

No fans is probably a good thing for now as well

1 hour ago, AGoodLaugh said:

:greatpost:

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Player for player, on paper?

Debatable, we have lost some decent players in Washington, Clare, Hickey etc and replaced with some good looking signings

We have a smaller squad but it is more balanced

But I firmly believe the better manager, changes in coaching make us a far better side and if our injury record improves then we will be better still

1 hour ago, AGoodLaugh said:

and an actual Manager!

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, graygo said:

After 1 league game? Who knows but the signs are good.

This. We have done nothing so far. Ask again at xmas!

Still early but the fact we dropped points in last years league cup group and just the simple fact you’d never back us to score 6 against anyone last season gives me an indication we are. Mainly down to confidence I think, last Saturday for example, being frustrated like that the team last year wouldn’t have found a way to win 

I think the mentality and structure behind the team is certainly better.  In time, the team may prove to be. We have to consider we are in the championship.

Managers and players make the difference. Managers for how they offer a positive platform to the team,  build the team to suit the way they want to play, and ultimately how good the players are that they pick/buy/promote. 

Sounds simple but good managers make it so. There’s day to day stuff to deal with, players form, fitness, mood etc... but set out the basics that the team is honed on and the right players for the roles buy into. 

Edited by Debut 4

1 hour ago, leginten said:

Agree, also hopefully hubz will start to get a few poor results 

2 hours ago, AGoodLaugh said:

And a manager the players want to play for,  Gordon has also settled the defence, the centre halfs had zero confidence in the last keepers. Great Post!

Takeshi kovac

Regardless of how the semi goes we look better. We are more balanced look to have a better attitude and play at a better tempo. We have more pace in the team and we have an actual  goalkeeper between the sticks. The semi will take care of itself but it's Hibs at Hampden so I'm pretty fecking confident 😎

Edited by Takeshi kovac

1 hour ago, sum31uk said:

Hibs will too so I’d expect it to be quite an open game.

Agree we need to see how we cope with teams sitting in

Diadora Van Basten

I think to be fair Hibs have probably improved as well. The team we played at Easter Road in the last derby before lockdown was pretty poor.

If we hadn't been demoted, would Stendel still be in charge? If so, where would we be?

All hypothetical as we are where we are, but will demotion turn out to be a blessing in disguise?

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve played 13 games with another one before the semi. And two more weeks of training. The only 3 players not up to speed yet are Naismith, Halliday and Haring. 3 big players right enough but I’m not having lack of match fitness as a pre-ready excuse. If they are better than us on the day then fine, we’re coming from a low base and might not be good enough to beat them, but match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.

Hibs have played 13 competitive games. Hearts have played 4. 

It's not a pre-ready excuse but they will, undoubtedly be match sharper than us. Matters not in derbies.Team that wants it the most wins.

Hopefully, as usual it's us

Berra than you
48 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Absolutely squad has been improved big time, and manager has been backed 👍

I have seen this said alot over the last few days, and the way it's being spoken about is as if the previous manager wasn't backed. Apologies if that isn't your point but I think it is worth saying that the only reason Robbie has been backed is because he has done a good job of clearing the decks.

1 hour ago, Berra than you said:

I have seen this said alot over the last few days, and the way it's being spoken about is as if the previous manager wasn't backed. Apologies if that isn't your point but I think it is worth saying that the only reason Robbie has been backed is because he has done a good job of clearing the decks.

Yeah i suppose loan deals ending/ loan fees being waived, players contracts expiring helps as well. 

And he’s not praying!

Absolutely.

Only wish Robbie had been appointed when Stendel was. We’d still be in the Premiership.

Levein and then Stendel is a nightmare that I don’t ever want to relive.

We're a fair bit better. We've got a better squad, we've got more pace and a better balance. 

That said, I don't think this squad would be good enough to finish in the top 3/4 in the SPL over a season. We need to improve a lot in the quality of our attacking players but especially in central defence and central midfield to manage that next season. 

14 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Absolutely.

Only wish Robbie had been appointed when Stendel was. We’d still be in the Premiership.

Levein and then Stendel is a nightmare that I don’t ever want to relive.

And he’s not praying!
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

?

Stendels record was that bad Tommy Wright would have done a better job 🤣🤣🤣🤣