Are we better than last season?

Diadora Van Basten

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We're a fair bit better. We've got a better squad, we've got more pace and a better balance. 

That said, I don't think this squad would be good enough to finish in the top 3/4 in the SPL over a season. We need to improve a lot in the quality of our attacking players but especially in central defence and central midfield to manage that next season. 

That's the only worry i have with Neilson, can he sustain over a full season with a much improved Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen, in the premiership. 

Does he have what it takes to take the game to Celtic and Rangers, and show no fear. 

Agree with you re midfield and defence 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Weakened Offender

• Last Laff

• davemclaren

2 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

?

Stendels record was that bad Tommy Wright would have done a better job 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your talking Tommy Wright alright 😂👍

And he’s not praying!
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Your talking Tommy Wright alright 😂👍

A proven better manager in the Scottish Premiership than the fraud that was Daniel Stendel.

Never seen such a shambles of a set up at the club. High pressing with our centre halves 🤪

To be fair he realised his errors after he was 3 months into the job. By that point though he’d taken us to the foot of the table.

Weakened Offender

We have a manager who knows what he is doing, a goalkeeper, width, creativity and a midfield that has more energy. We are much better than last season. 

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That's the only worry i have with Neilson, can he sustain over a full season with a much improved Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen, in the premiership. 

Does he have what it takes to take the game to Celtic and Rangers, and show no fear. 

Agree with you re midfield and defence 

The good thing is that most of our squads contracts are ending this coming summer so we can make the changes necessary to compete at the level we'd be expected to. 

I think RN has recruited well thus far. Still don't think we're very good in Central Defence. I'll hold fire on that until we play someone capable of giving us a game. 

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve played 13 games with another one before the semi. And two more weeks of training. The only 3 players not up to speed yet are Naismith, Halliday and Haring. 3 big players right enough but I’m not having lack of match fitness as a pre-ready excuse. If they are better than us on the day then fine, we’re coming from a low base and might not be good enough to beat them, but match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.

This is spot on we cannot blame fitness they are professional footballers. Personally think we will beat them and we are most definitely a better team than last year. 
We have a lot of pace 2 great full backs good midfielders feel very confident

15 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

A proven better manager in the Scottish Premiership than the fraud that was Daniel Stendel.

Never seen such a shambles of a set up at the club. High pressing with our centre halves 🤪

To be fair he realised his errors after he was 3 months into the job. By that point though he’d taken us to the foot of the table.

Who Tommy Wright or Neilson 😂

And he’s not praying!
25 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Who Tommy Wright or Neilson 😂

Both are PROVEN better managers than him who put us bottom of the league so take your pick 👍🏻

We look miles better! We would have finished top 6 last season if neilson was in charge with our current squad Imo.

As others have said the proof will be in the pudding when we play hibs( i think we will win but it will be very tight, maybe aet or something or pens)

Im so happy we are moving in the right direction again!! HHGH!

8 hours ago, sum31uk said:

I'd be cautious about making comparisons. Dundee had a go last night and as a result the match was more open. One of our big problems last year was that we couldn't break the shite teams down.

That's because we were shite, everyone was injured or unfit and we had no pace.

Diadora Van Basten
On 17/10/2020 at 21:22, DG_HMFC said:

There was a serious lack of width making it easy for other teams to defend against us.

When our full backs got the ball there was no one in front of them meaning they could only go back or across. 

We’re miles better than last season. There was a few games we would dominate possession but teams would sit in and defend and catch us on the counter. You need pacey wingers to break down teams like that and create chances.

I think we could still do with another striker.

On 17/10/2020 at 20:43, And he’s not praying! said:

Both are PROVEN better managers than him who put us bottom of the league so take your pick 👍🏻

Simply put I would rather have a manager that attempts to win games, and simply have more of a brain, to understand that not having a pre season, getting in his own players had an effect. 

You would rather have Tommy Wright than Stendel, your easily pleased bud. 

Tommy Wright is by far one of the worst managers I've seen in my lifetime, football could the guy spell it?. 

Turgid route one stuff that😂.

On 17/10/2020 at 20:43, And he’s not praying! said:

One left to futher his career and done Jack down in England, and the other spent 7 years at St Johnstone, being the biggest club he will manage in his life winning a cup, in a rather shit time during Scottish football with Scotland as a whole being weak as it didn't have we are r peepul in its top division 😂

Can't wait to see how Robbie handles the premiership when we go back up, Stendel has managed to beat a premiership Hibs something Robbie still has to do 😉

And it will be interesting to see how he does against Rangers and Celtic etc. 

Bazzas right boot

Much better Confidence. 

Far better balance across the side. 

Don't have key players injured all over the shop. 

I think yes atm. 

Big test v hibs tho. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray

What's wrong with you guys? A lot of people talking like nervous Hobos.

We will pump Hibs with this team!

Every department has been improved: loads of pace on the wings to keep McGinn and Stevenson on their heels. Kingsley, who looks a top top player, will have Doyle in his pocket and score. Halkett is playing with more confidence than last season because he's got the best keeper in Scotland behind him and a proper centre half partner. Jamie Walker is in brilliant form. Wighton looks like he can score now. Lee, who was directly responsible for the passes that led to 3 of the first 4 goals against Dundee, is finding lovely little passes into the most dangerous areas....and so on.

I only saw the highlights of their game on Sportscene but Hibs look poor. We will also pump them because we are Hearts, and it's what we do!

7 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

What's wrong with you guys? A lot of people talking like nervous Hobos.

We will pump Hibs with this team!

Every department has been improved: loads of pace on the wings to keep McGinn and Stevenson on their heels. Kingsley, who looks a top top player, will have Doyle in his pocket and score. Halkett is playing with more confidence than last season because he's got the best keeper in Scotland behind him and a proper centre half partner. Jamie Walker is in brilliant form. Wighton looks like he can score now. Lee, who was directly responsible for the passes that led to 3 of the first 4 goals against Dundee, is finding lovely little passes into the most dangerous areas....and so on.

I only saw the highlights of their game on Sportscene but Hibs look poor. We will also pump them because we are Hearts, and it's what we do!

Not so sure but i hope your right, hibs are a very funny team. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can't wait to see how Robbie handles the premiership when we go back up, Stendel has managed to beat a premiership Hibs something Robbie still has to do 😉

In fairness there was no such thing as a premiership hibs during his first spell

Dundee at home was just the sort of game we struggled to win last season.  On that basis we look better balanced, more pace, more of a goal threat.  We are heading the right direction.

Edited by TexasAndy

On 17/10/2020 at 20:00, And he’s not praying! said:

... And then switched back to that tactic at half time v St Mirren when the score was 0-0.  5 minutes later a straight ball down the middle of the pitch = 1-0 St Mirren.

On 17/10/2020 at 21:22, DG_HMFC said:

Our goalie, was a waste of space, still cant get over how bad he was.

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

One left to futher his career and done Jack down in England, and the other spent 7 years at St Johnstone, being the biggest club he will manage in his life winning a cup, in a rather shit time during Scottish football with Scotland as a whole being weak as it didn't have we are r peepul in its top division 😂

Where to start with this rubbish. 

I'm no fan of Tommy Wright but he won a Scottish Cup and took them into Europe 4 times. They would regularly beat Hearts and Your Daniel failed to beat them twice. In fact, the 3-3 match up there epitomised Stendel at Hearts. Sussed out quite easily and was lucky to scrape a point. 

Give it up. Stendel was a charlatan. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm no fan of Tommy Wright but he won a Scottish Cup and took them into Europe 4 times. They would regularly beat Hearts and Your Daniel failed to beat them twice. In fact, the 3-3 match up there epitomised Stendel at Hearts. Sussed out quite easily and was lucky to scrape a point. 

Your Daniel, not yours.

12 hours ago, BigAlim said:

In fairness there was no such thing as a premiership hibs during his first spell

Which makes it erm 😳

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Promotion with Barnsley fact, Tommy Wright couldn't lace the guys boots 👍

Scottish football during that time meh, but you don't see that 🤔

Edited by Bongo 1874

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

So in your eyes Tommy Wright must be a better manager than Robbie Neilson, am i right?. 

Europe four times, did they even get to a group stage naw why? Cause they are S**** 😂

Big deal harping on about europe, the big teams in Scotland get to group stages, like Celtic and Rangers. 

Not put out against part timers 😂

Edited by Bongo 1874

Weakened Offender
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

So in your eyes Tommy Wright must be a better manager than Robbie Neilson, am i right?. 

Europe four times, did they even get to a group stage naw why? Cause they are S**** 😂

Big deal harping on about europe, the big teams in Scotland get to group stages, like Celtic and Rangers. 

Not put out against part timers 😂

Tommy Wright is/was a better manager than that moron who took Hearts to the bottom on the league. He also enjoyed European success against Rosenborg and FC Luzern. Pretty decent achievement for a wee club like Saints.

On 17/10/2020 at 11:39, Diadora Van Basten said:

We will probably know the answer to this when we play Hibs in the semi final.

It does seem to me that the players we have brought in are better than the players who have left.

We also appear to have a settled formation and are no longer putting square pegs into round holes.

The new goalpkeeper alone has made us a far better team. Gordon in goals last year and we'd have been watching St Mirren grinding out a draw against Dundee in the Championship on BBC Scotland last Friday.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

The minute we signed an actual goalkeeper, we became better than we were last season. Hickey aside, I don't think we've lost anyone we'd be particularly worried about, and we've made some decent signings. So I'd say yes, we're definitely a better team now. 

47 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Tommy Wright is/was a better manager than that moron who took Hearts to the bottom on the league. He also enjoyed European success against Rosenborg and FC Luzern. Pretty decent achievement for a wee club like Saints.

Group stage?. 

Should think himself lucky beating those sort of European giants, Robbie unfortunately didn't have the same luck, getting beat by Europe's finest Birkirkara F.C.. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

54 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Yes, he is a far better manager than Craig Levein. 

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Group stage?. 

Should think himself lucky beating those sort of European giants, Robbie unfortunately didn't have the same luck, getting beat by Europe's finest Birkirkara F.C.. 

You could always support whoever Daniel Stendel is haunting these days? Off you pop.. 😀

100% we are attacking for one. Wingers in the side. There is support up top from midfield. No more hoof ball 

We are flying, Hibs have hit their first rut of form,  its an ideal time to play these losers after them winning the league after only 6 games in. They are struggling for goals, we are chucking them in 

The general realisation is seeping into the losers that Jack's football is Dross football

The Old Tolbooth

We have a 100% record to defend at Hampden against the wee team, and we've got a better team this season to do it with than last season, and we turned them over twice at their shit tip last season, and should have turned them over at home too! The day I'm scared of Hibs is the day I pack it all in! 

17 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

It’s a tag line for some to say Stendel took us to the bottom. Not that Hearts were in freefall anyway, where they?

For the hard of thinking, it’s easy to forget. It’s easy to forget he took over a shambles of a set up on its knees in every shape or form. He clearly got us scoring goals, looking more dangerous, creating chances, individuals improved even if we still had our faults and leaking goals was the biggest and most damaging. 

But he was caught in the middle. He couldn’t do right for doing wrong....that was the scenario...If he didn’t come out fighting and make a Hearts look more like an attacking threat, people would still be in the rage they were.  

Robbie has had time to overhaul. Get rid of some of the weak players who always needed motivated or guided. Players who simply lacked quality or intensity. He’s now got a great Hearts man as temporary DOF behind him who I’m sure will be doing all he can in the background to get the old Hearts back to something we identify with.  The first league game was a good start!

8 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

You could always support whoever Daniel Stendel is haunting these days? Off you pop.. 😀

Sorry, a football life i understand, i dedicate my life to HMFC, a football team from the capital, that's where my Heart will always be ohhhhhhohhhhohhhohhhhohhhohhh,Tynecastle is my second Home 😉

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry, a football life i understand, i dedicate my life to HMFC, a football team from the capital, that's where my Heart will always be ohhhhhhohhhhohhhohhhhohhhohhh,Tynecastle is my second Home 😉

😁

7 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s a tag line for some to say Stendel took us to the bottom. Not that Hearts were in freefall anyway, where they?

For the hard of thinking, it’s easy to forget. It’s easy to forget he took over a shambles of a set up on its knees in every shape or form. He clearly got us scoring goals, looking more dangerous, creating chances, individuals improved even if we still had our faults and leaking goals was the biggest and most damaging. 

But he was caught in the middle. He couldn’t do right for doing wrong....that was the scenario...If he didn’t come out fighting and make a Hearts look more like an attacking threat, people would still be in the rage they were.  

Robbie has had time to overhaul. Get rid of some of the weak players who always needed motivated or guided. Players who simply lacked quality or intensity. He’s now got a great Hearts man as temporary DOF behind him who I’m sure will be doing all he can in the background to get the old Hearts back to something we identify with.  The first league game was a good start!

Glad you are understanding, do i like Stendel over Robbie yes, do I want Robbie to fail no, but what pisses me of is you unlike others, have been big enough to step back make an assessment on how you saw things and rather than go ahh Stendel this Stendels that. 

Have seen the guy had a rather tough job when he came into the club, in know way do i make excuses for the guy should he have won more absolutely, but let's not forget what he was left with. 

These players were shit for 2.5 years we hadn't been shit from just overnight, it was a long draining period under Craig Levein, this isn't a dig at the guy but i never had one hearts fan come up to me at any time, saying Levein is some manager. 

Levein as a player couldn't fault the guy, what a F****** player could've he went further if it hadn't been for injures who knows. 

What annoys me is people saying he is a PHM after the cup final he should've said to Ann, Right Ann I've had a crack at it I've kept us mid table, but don't want to go on any futher as manager. 

He didn't because he knew if he stepped down as manager, Ann was probably going to say well we can't have you going back to DOF Craig. 

This time we will see if Robbie has what it takes, this time he can be judged as his own person, don't see JJ having as much say as Craig did. 

So i can fully judge Neilson this time around, Hearts have to play attacking football and this is my worry under Neilson, he has the tendency to go 2 goals up and rather than going for the killer third goal, sits off teams and invites pressure. 

I have no doubts Robbie will get us promoted at a canter, my doubts are can he have us, recognised outwith the old firm as best of the rest. 

I hope he can. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

It's also a fact. Crazy how people will give Stendel so much benefit of the doubt and make excuses for him, yet Neilson still hasn't been forgiven for one cup tie against Hibs. The simple fact is that Stendel's last performance as Hearts manager wasn't any sort of improvement on Levein or McPhee's last games in charge, despite having half a team of first team players back from injury and a new striker. He had a couple of good results but so did Levein and McPhee. Despite having the likes of Walker, Washington, Halkett, Souttar and Naismith back, plus Boyce, he didn't improve our results against the smaller teams at all.

Neilson had one transfer window same as Stendel and was working in much harder circumstances given the covid situation. He has already transformed everything about the team - from the goalie on through the team. He even got goals out of Wighton. Stendel wanted to make Hearts play a certain way. Neilson just wants us to win.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's also a fact. Crazy how people will give Stendel so much benefit of the doubt and make excuses for him, yet Neilson still hasn't been forgiven for one cup tie against Hibs. The simple fact is that Stendel's last performance as Hearts manager wasn't any sort of improvement on Levein or McPhee's last games in charge, despite having half a team of first team players back from injury and a new striker. He had a couple of good results but so did Levein and McPhee. Despite having the likes of Walker, Washington, Halkett, Souttar and Naismith back, plus Boyce, he didn't improve our results against the smaller teams at all.

Neilson had one transfer window same as Stendel and was working in much harder circumstances given the covid situation. He has already transformed everything about the team - from the goalie on through the team. He even got goals out of Wighton. Stendel wanted to make Hearts play a certain way. Neilson just wants us to win.

You do understand he tried to get Gordon but celtic wouldn't let him go, you ask any manager in the world what is easier pre season transfer window, or January and i know what they will say. 

Gordon wanted to come to us, but lennon put a block on the move. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Glad you are understanding, do i like Stendel over Robbie yes, do I want Robbie to fail no, but what pisses me of is you unlike others, have been big enough to step back make an assessment on how you saw things and rather than go ahh Stendel this Stendels that. 

Have seen the guy had a rather tough job when he came into the club, in know way do i make excuses for the guy should he have won more absolutely, but let's not forget what he was left with. 

These players were shit for 2.5 years we hadn't been shit from just overnight, it was a long draining period under Craig Levein, this isn't a dig at the guy but i never had one hearts fan come up to me at any time, saying Levein is some manager. 

Levein as a player couldn't fault the guy, what a F****** player could've he went further if it hadn't been for injures who knows. 

What annoys me is people saying he is a PHM after the cup final he should've said to Ann, Right Ann I've had a crack at it I've kept us mid table, but don't want to go on any futher as manager. 

He didn't because he knew if he stepped down as manager, Ann was probably going to say well we can't have you going back to DOF Craig. 

This time we will see if Robbie has what it takes, this time he can be judged as his own person, don't see JJ having as much say as Craig did. 

So i can fully judge Neilson this time around, Hearts have to play attacking football and this is my worry under Neilson, he has the tendency to go 2 goals up and rather than going for the killer third goal, sits off teams and invites pressure. 

I have no doubts Robbie will get us promoted at a canter, my doubts are can he have us, recognised outwith the old firm as best of the rest. 

I hope he can. 

Mate, give up the ghost. You're across pretty much every thread spouting this pish. Stendal was just another failure in a list of them. Its done, over, finished. Let it go man.