Craig Gordon

Thomaso

8 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

OP spot on! Even at Craig's age he is easily one of the top 5 goalkeepers in the country! Stewart is looking like a very decent back up goalie too. Great to have decent options in goals again!

Name another 4 keepers better than him?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Thomaso

• AlimOzturk

• DS98

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tokyo Drifter

This league's going to be a tale of two goalkeepers as much as anything else. No team's gonna win it with Flap Jack in goal. To be fair he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, though he was always suspect from distance. But I was shocked that his out ball hasn't improved any in all these years. 

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Definitely not the new £5 million keeper Celtic brought in to replace him 🤣🤣🤣

Thankfully Celtic thought Forster would return so we got big Craig back on the cheap 

Can I just say Gordon’s distribution and handling has improved so much over the years. He is the all round keeper but with that fantastic shop ability he is famed for. I can’t believe we have a world class goalkeeper again.  

3 hours ago, Barack said:

If Gordon was a shop, which one would he be?

I think M&S.

Bit of a luxury treat. But you wouldn't rely on it all the time.

Don't know about Gordon, but if Pereira was a shop he wouldn't even be a whole shop, just the front...

He’s saved a couple of certain goals but I’ve also been really impressed with how quickly he gets the ball moving again when he has made a save.

Used to do my nut in keepers waiting for the opposing team to reset before kicking the ball to them

They can have him back in Jan for 10 million 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Gordon would have kept out Goldsons header yesterday.

On 17/10/2020 at 15:19, joondalupjambo said:

How many seasons do folk he has left in him assuming no serious injuries?

hes 37 so i would like to think 3 or 4 at least 

Toxteth O'Grady

He will save us plenty points compared to Bobby. His distribution could still be better but saving shots is the main thing - he can certainly do that 

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

There aren’t. Think the difference in the top 3 is so marginal it’s all opinion. 

I don’t think I’d take any of them over Gordon. McLaughlin and Lewis are close. Barkas seems an expensive mistake and McGregor wouldn’t get away with his antics with us. 

We’ve got the best keeper we’ve had since Gordon in Gordon 😂

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

He will save us plenty points compared to Bobby. His distribution could still be better but saving shots is the main thing - he can certainly do that 

Since he’s came back which part of his distribution could be better specifically? Genuine question.  

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

Since he’s came back which part of his distribution could be better specifically? Genuine question.  

The killer pass to Boyce seems to lacking a half yard of pace. 

:whistling:

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, DS98 said:

“Distribution” is a word idiot football fans use to make themselves sound smart when spouting negative pish in the context of goalkeeping.

It’s a good red flag indicator of someone who knows very little about football or goalkeeping. 

Typically they’ll say “his distribution is pretty poor” because they, the fan, might have seen a few times during a game where a striker or wide player might have made an early run to try to get a counter attack going, but the keeper either didn’t see him, or chose not to perform a high risk Peter schmeichel 60 yard throw to put them through on goal. 

Gordon’s “distribution”, that is to say, his “not giving away possesion cheaply to the opposition”, has been impeccable. Occasionally like any keeper, he may slice a kick where the ball might be rolling too fast toward him passed back from a team

mate or through from an opposition attack, this is due to the momentum of the ball being quite difficult to accurately redirect when deploying the amount of force/power to send it downfield, so often, sending it out of play is fine, better than sending it to the opposition striker. However, because it went out of play, the idiot fan will chalk that down to “poor distribution” making a complete arse of themselves to anyone that has kicked a football in their life let alone tried to accurately kick it 60 yards when it’s bouncing and rolling toward you  

28 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

“Distribution” is a word idiot football fans use to make themselves sound smart when spouting negative pish in the context of goalkeeping.

It’s a good red flag indicator of someone who knows very little about football or goalkeeping. 

Typically they’ll say “his distribution is pretty poor” because they, the fan, might have seen a few times during a game where a striker or wide player might have made an early run to try to get a counter attack going, but the keeper either didn’t see him, or chose not to perform a high risk Peter schmeichel 60 yard throw to put them through on goal. 

Gordon’s “distribution”, that is to say, his “not giving away possesion cheaply to the opposition”, has been impeccable. Occasionally like any keeper, he may slice a kick where the ball might be rolling too fast toward him passed back from a team

mate or through from an opposition attack, this is due to the momentum of the ball being quite difficult to accurately redirect when deploying the amount of force/power to send it downfield, so often, sending it out of play is fine, better than sending it to the opposition striker. However, because it went out of play, the idiot fan will chalk that down to “poor distribution” making a complete arse of themselves to anyone that has kicked a football in their life let alone tried to accurately kick it 60 yards when it’s bouncing and rolling toward you  

Well said mate. 

Some fans act as if if a keeper has chucked the ball in the net when the odd kick out end out of touch. 

It's only a throw in ffs. 

38 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Well said mate. 

Some fans act as if if a keeper has chucked the ball in the net when the odd kick out end out of touch. 

It's only a throw in ffs. 

Don’t get me wrong, it annoys me when a keeper makes an arse of a kick out or doesn’t do things quick enough. My point is that CG’s footwork wasn’t an issue when he was last here, at Sunderland or at Celtic under Delia. So far this time round it has been bang on.

It’s a lazy stereotype that gets labelled at him which stems from thick as pig shit Celtic fans. Look at Allan McGregor, his kicking is no better or worse than Craigs but he’s never had it called into question. That’s because he’s never been asked to play the ridiculous sweeper keeper where it’s pass the ball out at all costs. 

I’m already taking it for granted that he’ll make those kind of saves for us. But make no mistake, if that was last season we concede 2 or 3

Welcome to a Hearts lad and an absolute superb goalkeeper.

In the world of no brainers bringing him back is right up there. Wonderful. We are a handful of games in and already made two or three saves that all our keepers in goal together last year still wouldn’t have got.

Thank god your back big man!

I can only reiterate what everyone has said tonight. Maybe not world class anymore (he was at his peak), but he's a fantastic keeper who makes saves that separates the exceptional keepers from the decent keepers. Delighted he's a hearts man and we get the privilege of watching him as he closes out a fantastic career. (one that could have been astronomical without injury) 

No coincidence that Halkett is looking better too, not having to look over his shoulder like he did last season when the Man U 🤡 was in goal....Craig Gordon is a class act!

Great having a decent pair of gloves between the sticks, did his job tonight and saved shots I'd expect him and most decent pro keepers to deal with..
Well done CG..

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, ducatiboy said:

No coincidence that Halkett is looking better too, not having to look over his shoulder like he did last season when the Man U 🤡 was in goal....Craig Gordon is a class act!

This is something I’ve def noticed. It’s the anxiety factor. Every good manager, goalkeeper is always a massive priority. When the nerves start to spread, that’s what’s toxic about a bad keeper not just individual errors but the way that anxiety spreads like a virus through a team 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

A few Celtic fans I know are spewing that they’ve spent £4.5m on a new keeper, who appears half as good as Gordon! Hopefully he comes back to haunt them in the 2020 Scottish Cup Final...

14 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A few Celtic fans I know are spewing that they’ve spent £4.5m on a new keeper, who appears half as good as Gordon! Hopefully he comes back to haunt them in the 2020 Scottish Cup Final...

He forces players  to over think how they are going to get the ball past him. I actually thought they let him go only because big Forster was still there! Big error from Celtic. Massive for us

Edited by Riccarton3

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What makes you think Celtic will be in the final?

Nostalgia.  When I came back for that semi final I had a really thrilling sensation when Gordon ran on to the park.  He just looked the part.  I almost felt sorry for Hibs.  Almost.

And he played brilliantly.  He had to deal with two pass backs and one corner.  He did so with aplomb.

Imo, this is a game for him, Boyce, Haring and Smith.  Wish Berra could also be there.

On 18/10/2020 at 00:38, gregzy2k7 said:

OP spot on! Even at Craig's age he is easily one of the top 5 goalkeepers in the country! Stewart is looking like a very decent back up goalie too. Great to have decent options in goals again!

You mean the UK don't you? Top 5 in Scotland not too much to brag about

19 minutes ago, brux said:

You mean the UK don't you? Top 5 in Scotland not too much to brag about

Says it all that Celtic have spent £5m on a keeper not fit to lick Craig's gloves!!

Jack Torrance

He left us for £9m. Didn't even take his cut from the deal; left it for the Academy (who knows what happened to that money).

We got him back on a free transfer (I hope he got something out of that).

It's ridiculous how lucky we are to have him as one of our own; another term that gets bandied about far too easily but is accurate with us and this fella.

He'd just won the cup when he last left; he couldn't do it again ... could he? If he does you can add him to the list of those deserving of a statue, if he isn't already on that list.

I still can't believe that triple save against Sparta Prague.