• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

His header was class. Everything Nesbitts header wasn’t. Never been so delighted to be being made to look a dick in all my life. 

bit unfair, Hibsedit's header was decent, Gordon's save was just so much better

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

Yeah save was outstanding but he should’ve put it to a side. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

Yeah save was outstanding but he should’ve put it to a side. 

agreed, but few goal keepers would have kept it out

4 minutes ago, Gav M said:

his header was decent

his penalty however :rofl:

1 minute ago, boag1874 said:

his header was decent

his penalty however :rofl:

I thought his penalty was great, I'll be watching it a lot over the next few days 😂

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

I thought his penalty was great, I'll be watching it a lot over the next few days 😂

Id imagine he’ll be watching it a lot as well, just constantly replaying in his mind for a good few weeks

jamboinglasgow

His confidence has improved remarkbly since his first goal. He builds each game. Though its clear he works best as a striker in the middle (also think Boyce is having an issue scoring but does a hell of a lot for the team with the ball and without it.)

WheatfieldWarrior
2 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

Can we lose.the tragically shit Shighton nickname now?

happy to call him 'goal machine' for the foreseeable.

3 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I agree, cant argue on his fight and efforts. He gets rewards for the side. Maybe needs a visit home. i dunno, he will come good.

Needs better service from out wide. 

BangkokHearts

Genuinely impressed with his movement and work-rate last night. 

The way he drifted away from his marker and took a free header to score in such a composed manner shows he is a danger from crosses and set pieces. How long has it been since we had a striker that could connect properly?

His physique will cause defenders problems too, looks a unit.

A_A wehatethehibs

I wouldn't sell Craig Van Wighton for 40m. It needs to be 100m minimum

And BTW SIr Oliver Lee at right mid... Shades of David Beckham, he never had any pace either. Ball in of the century. Pinpoint. 

it was the way he played the ball out to lee from near the half way line then absolutely burst a gut to get in the box and onto the cross that impressed me.

showed real desire

when he got subbed it was clear he had ran himself into the ground between constantly chasing and closing down when they had the ball, and running at them and looking to get in behind when we had the ball.

as they say, he left it all on the pitch

Delighted for the laddie. Still only 22 and if he keeps this up, we have a real diamond in the rough. Can only get better. Id love him to score the winner in the final and cement his status in our history books. He’s  half way there with his goal last night. 

Well done Craig. Take a bow son ♥️

Edited by Saughton Jambo

Leveins Battalion

I have gave Wighton and White more stick then they have deserved.

Happy to look like a right plumb now.

Well done lads.👍🇱🇻

tartofmidlothian
8 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

He has just scored in a semi final at hampden to knock hibs out the Scottish cup.  Legendary status from this day onwards.  

Correct! No matter what he does from here, he scored THAT goal.

LarrysRightFoot
9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

His confidence has improved remarkbly since his first goal. He builds each game. Though its clear he works best as a striker in the middle (also think Boyce is having an issue scoring but does a hell of a lot for the team with the ball and without it.)

I’m starting to wonder if Boyce would be better as a number 10 (his squad number)? I’d be tempted to try him there with Naismith or Wighton as the number 9.

Re Wighton, Robbie seems to be doing a similar job as he started to do with Muirhead - installing confidence and belief into an obviously talented player. Let’s hope he finishes the job this time.

Prior to the goal I thought he’d had a reasonably decent game.....few good runs, held the ball up and laid it off nicely. He definitely gave the laddie Doig a tough match.

His header though.....that was text book.....let the pace and power of the cross do the work....all he had to do was direct it. 

There is no doubt his confidence is creeping up by the week and I really hope it continues. His goal alone last night was worth whatever we paid for him .

If RN can get a tune out of this lad for the rest of the season I’ll be delighted and pleasantly proved wrong.

No coincidence that we looked better when he moved up top, even if it was only for a short while. 

Having three in midfield is only beneficial when you're controlling that area of the pitch which we weren't doing first half. I think going forward we should be playing with both Wighton and Boyce up front with Boyce dropping a bit deeper and linking the play. Wighton looks like a natural finisher when you give him chances!

52 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Is he the Modern Day Willie Gibson?

The new Mark II clearly  a nod to the old Mark I classic with some modern spec added. Fans of the old Mark I may be in for a treat

13 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Well done Craig Wighton. Excellent tonight. 

Got stronger mentally and physically. Well done young man I look forward to see how far you can go from here. 

Regarded 3 or 4 years ago as the brightest young prospect in Scotland you can see he has class. Never wasted the ball once last night. If he keeps this up for another few weeks a contract extension for at least a year should be offered. And to think 95% of fans wanted him out of the door during the summer!

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

Is he the Modern Day Willie Gibson?

Willie Gibson was  a poacher but a fairly poor footballer overall. He was a significant downgrade on Wallace and Ford. 

On 24/10/2020 at 13:36, Cruyff said:

Can't slag the boy off, he's scoring goals. 

Boyce has scored a goal from a pen. 

Wightons had two immense finishes from the 4 he has scored. 

2 great penalties under pressure, a sublime dribble and shot to the bottom corner, a delightful chip and a pinpoint accurate header. That's a nice portfolio to roll out when you've done nothing else to date.

Delighted with his performance but scunnered to the max that the commentator kept referring to WHITE-ON...unless I'm mispronouncing it?

Isn't it great that's the only thing I've got to complain about after a SC semi v them? :lol: 

35 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Credit to Craig Levein? Too soon?

He might have signed him but he done nothing to help his confidence. Always got played against the old firm in a shite team and out of position.

LarrysRightFoot
40 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Credit to Craig Levein? Too soon?

He always had an eye for a decent player in the Scottish leagues. Although as many have said Wighton was touted as the best young player in Scotland for a while.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

I love watching him create that little bit of space for his free header past the helpless hubs keeper, over and over again.

Gorgie Boot boy

During pre season i made a few comments on Craig.

He went out on loan to the Reds last season, got kicked about and scored a few goals. The word was that Arbroath raved about him and wanted him to stay.

Sure i used to call him Shighton, maybe that was out of order but it has been said. Bulked up and plays into the weakness of the CH. Craig is ramming the Shighton down my throat and i love it.

Well done son, get on it big time and we will love you forever.

In Robbie we trust.Talking about Robbie, when Craig scored that worldy against Scumdee, Robbie had a fit with the zip on his jacket. Looked shocked mumbled some words to Gordon and Lee.

Craig gave him food for thought, delivered a cup final place into Robbies pocket.

I feel chuffed for the lad.

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

He might have signed him but he done nothing to help his confidence. Always got played against the old firm in a shite team and out of position.

He was played out of position yesterday

Guest ToqueJambo

Neilson seems to have given Wighton the attention he needed. Levein signed too many of these project/prospect players at once and, combined with the youngsters, it was impossible to improve them all. And he didn’t really improve any of them.

With this smaller squad Neilson can focus on improving Wighton and the youngsters as the rest are good pros who don’t need so much work.

I posted on our striker thread a while ago that I felt he was a confidence player and needed an arm around the shoulder and once he scored he’d kick on.

I said to bookmark what I posted and a few posters said they would.

Hopefully they still have it bookmarked.👍🏻

On 01/11/2020 at 12:55, Boof said:

Delighted with his performance but scunnered to the max that the commentator kept referring to WHITE-ON...unless I'm mispronouncing it?

I say, White-in. How are you saying it?

Absolutely delighted for CW. He has been immense. Keep it up son!