Craig Wighton Goal Machine!

Danguar

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

I say, White-in. How are you saying it?

Absolutely delighted for CW. He has been immense. Keep it up son!

WITE-IN as in the Isle of Wight.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

On 01/11/2020 at 12:26, tcjambo said:

Regarded 3 or 4 years ago as the brightest young prospect in Scotland you can see he has class. Never wasted the ball once last night. If he keeps this up for another few weeks a contract extension for at least a year should be offered. And to think 95% of fans wanted him out of the door during the summer!

Fans can get it wrong - some on here were telling us Gordon was passed it!

On 01/11/2020 at 11:21, DH1986 said:

Prior to the goal I thought he’d had a reasonably decent game.....few good runs, held the ball up and laid it off nicely. He definitely gave the laddie Doig a tough match.

His header though.....that was text book.....let the pace and power of the cross do the work....all he had to do was direct it. 

There is no doubt his confidence is creeping up by the week and I really hope it continues. His goal alone last night was worth whatever we paid for him .

If RN can get a tune out of this lad for the rest of the season I’ll be delighted and pleasantly proved wrong.

That was exactly the term I used to describe it as well.  He had the composure to just direct the ball back across goal, knowing that if he kept it on target, it was a certain goal.

It was an instinctive finish, as his goal against Arbroath was, which I think shows just how important confidence is with a striker.

Last season, he might have over thought these chances, or been so desperate to score that he made bad decisions, tried too hard.  I'm so pleased to see him doing well, and long may it continue.  

underwaterwoodwelder

Fancy name - no

Good looking - no

Cost a lot of money - no

Fans favourite - no

Goal machine - fk eye 

Seems as though he has matured three years in the space of six months as a player.

So pleased for him and got to give credit to RN for keeping the faith and building his confidence.

I like his array of goals thus far...apart from the penalties, all very different finishes.

Hopefully he has some confidence and can kick on. Another couple of goals on Saturday will do him wonders. I often recall a few Hearts players that were slow off the mark, Hartley and Mcswegan being a couple. The latter had a torrid time until he scored his first goal, even missing an open goal at home to Killie. He then ripped a screamer in at Tannadice and that was him off and running. 

Takeshi kovac

If he is played as a centre forward in a front 2 he will do well, putting him out wide and he is much less effective. He makes really good runs off the ball and is finally finding the net. I fancied him to score against the vermin and I think he will score again on Saturday 

On 01/11/2020 at 10:38, BelgeJambo said:

Is he the Modern Day Willie Gibson?

Willie was unfairly slagged by a lot of our support.

Scored a lot of goals for us.

On 01/11/2020 at 12:29, tcjambo said:

Willie Gibson was  a poacher but a fairly poor footballer overall. He was a significant downgrade on Wallace and Ford. 

True, but they were hard acts to follow.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 minute ago, bairdy said:

Willie was unfairly slagged by a lot of our support.

Scored a lot of goals for us.

Was surprised a few years ago to learn he was one of our century makers, never a bad benchmark. He was never a spectacular player, but scored lots of goals. Few were classics but, for me, the best strikers/centre forwards score tap ins and their fair share of sclafs that crawl across the line rather than worldies, and Gibson was that kind of scorer (from my dodgy memory).

1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Was surprised a few years ago to learn he was one of our century makers, never a bad benchmark. He was never a spectacular player, but scored lots of goals. Few were classics but, for me, the best strikers/centre forwards score tap ins and their fair share of sclafs that crawl across the line rather than worldies, and Gibson was that kind of scorer (from my dodgy memory).

Quite a good summary of him.🙂

kingantti1874

I think it’s clear the talent is there, a talent which frankly I hadn’t seen before.. the solo and peach of a left foot finish, a cracking lob with right foot, and frankly a red book header.. not counting the 2 very confidently struck pens.. 

Starting to look like I was wrong about Craig and I’m ****ing delighted.. long may it continue

Thought he was another one who had been given too many chances and should’ve been moved on.

New manager, perhaps a lack of fans in the stadium and better team mates around him are clearly making a difference. Keep making me eat my words!! 

edit - didn’t mean new fans :facepalm:

Edited by King prawn

Another factor is that he is older, more mature and physically much stronger. Most of us do a lot of growing up between the ages of 19 and 22.

fabienleclerq

I think he always had a bit of skill he just looked like an anorexic teenager! Now he has bulked out a bit in the gym he's made himself a totally different prospect. Playing him up front helps too. 

I actually don't think he at his best yet, his confidence looks to be growing so hopefully he just keeps going. 

What Neilson will be watching for is it’s not just a purple patch.  The lad has stepped forward well recently and gaining confidence.  You can see he’s dealing with the physical side of the game better and there’s no doubt he’s brought some nice, clever play to the pitch for Hearts.

Its all about time. You get different scenarios in football and there’ll be times when it’s tougher and we need people to step forward when the chips are down. The current management will know what they are looking for in players but they need a good set of games to judge that. 

He has put weight on and bulked up a bit and it has made a huge difference. And scoring goals will definately up his confidence. His all round play has been excellent too. Really pleased for the lad. Long may it continue.

Really think apart from his confidence being higher a big part of the improvement is the fact that he is physically stronger and is not pushed off the ball so easily now.

On 01/11/2020 at 12:29, tcjambo said:

Willie Gibson was  a poacher but a fairly poor footballer overall. He was a significant downgrade on Wallace and Ford. 

To be fair to WG, everybody is a downgrade on DF. 

35 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

He has put weight on and bulked up a bit and it has made a huge difference. And scoring goals will definately up his confidence. His all round play has been excellent too. Really pleased for the lad. Long may it continue.

And if guys like him are in the habit of tuning in here from time to time, it does no harm to his confidence to read that his efforts are bring appreciated.

5 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

And if guys like him are in the habit of tuning in here from time to time, it does no harm to his confidence to read that his efforts are bring appreciated.

Exactly.

tartofmidlothian

No goals for him tonight in Fife, but I thought he did well. He got himself into good positions and could have scored one or two with better finishing.

Fitzroy Pointon
Just now, tartofmidlothian said:

No goals for him tonight in Fife, but I thought he did well. He got himself into good positions and could have scored one or two with better finishing.

Bringing a lot more to the team these days. Been impressed with him this season. Getting the head down and grafting away. 

Absolute Scenes
9 hours ago, Herbert said:

Hope not, we can get better.

Classic case of “could do a job” for any player that plays half decent against us. Several posters were chugging over the Inverness striker that played in the 1-0 game in the LC. Can’t even remember his name. 

• 1 month later...

Laddie hasn't appeared to have crumbled after the penalty miss so extremely pleased to see that. 

Hopefully we can draw a few premiership teams in our Scottish cup run so we can see if he can turn it on against higher level opposition. 

31 minutes ago, Danguar said:

Absolutely changed the game for us today.

Needs to start on Tuesday for me.

Dropped him after a hat trick earlier in the season. Can’t do it again imo. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Dropped him after a hat trick earlier in the season. Can’t do it again imo. 

Certainly not for Frear or Roberts that is criminal.

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

Certainly not for Frear or Roberts that is criminal.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Boyce started on the bench v Arbroath. He’s one of our prize assets and there’s a lot of football ahead. Popescu in for Berra is another thing I half expect. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Boyce started on the bench v Arbroath. He’s one of our prize assets and there’s a lot of football ahead. Popescu in for Berra is another thing I half expect. 

makes sense, Boyce is doing well just needs proper support.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Very good.

And to come back from the penalty miss.

He's got the right stuff.

He played well and looked dangerous when he came on in the cup-final too. (Just a shame he stepped-forward for one of the pens...   :ermm:  ) 

Gorgie Boot boy

Training to be a star, playing for his Hearts career.

As i said before He will be lucky to survive the next cull although if he continues on this path of scoring we may have a battle on our hands to keep him.

Yeah i did say it.

Go on Craig, Shighton on every one of the cheating *******s.

11 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Training to be a star, playing for his Hearts career.

As i said before He will be lucky to survive the next cull although if he continues on this path of scoring we may have a battle on our hands to keep him.

Yeah i did say it.

Go on Craig, Shighton on every one of the cheating *******s.

😂😂