You’ve only got a tenner..

Morgan

19 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Half litre of Vodka if I am allowed to use coke that is already in the house, won't get me completely pished but get me close enough.

Half a litre of vodka won't get you completely pished??  I'm impressed.  :toasting:

7 hours ago, milky_26 said:

@Morgan why was it you asked this question? or are you still drunk from trying some of the options?

No, not drunk.  :sad: 

Reason I asked was, we were in Italy yesterday and found this drink shop that had the most amazing low prices we’ve ever seen.

Examples were things like a 75cl bottle of Peroni for 1.09€ and bottles of 14.5% Primitivo Salento for 1.99€.

My wife just happened to say ‘imagine how drunk you could get here for about ten Euros’.

That’s really all it was. 👍

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Bottle of Buckfast and the biggest bottle of lager i can get with the change. 

As you can see from my reply to Milky (above), the big bottles of lager we saw were incredibly cheap.

Not sure about your Buckie, but wholeheartedly agree with you on the lager bit.  :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Reason I asked was, we were in Italy yesterday and found this drink shop that had the most amazing low prices we’ve ever seen.

Examples were things like a 75cl bottle of Peroni for 1.09€ and bottles of 14.5% Primitivo Salento for 1.99€.

My wife just happened to say ‘imagine how drunk you could get here for about ten Euros’.

Was in an Aldi in Munich a few years back, and you could buy all sorts of wonderful beers in a 500mL bottle for around 70c, including a 10c deposit for the bottle!

Augustiner was my favourite, iirc. 

50 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Was in an Aldi in Munich a few years back, and you could buy all sorts of wonderful beers in a 500mL bottle for around 70c, including a 10c deposit for the bottle!

Augustiner was my favourite, iirc. 

I’ve only ever been in an Aldi in Barcelona, some of the wonderful Rioja you could buy, for around 3€, was amazing.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Well worth the wait then? 

:vrface: I thought it would be something good tae, i should have known. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Well worth the wait then? 

:vrface: I thought it would be something good tae, i should have known. 

I tried to answer to you with decency, a wee bit earlier this evening.

It must have been too much for you, sailed over your head, as it were.

I will now treat your most current post, and yourself, with the contempt that are deserving of both.

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I tried to answer to you with decency, a wee bit earlier this evening.

It must have been too much for you, sailed over your head, as it were.

I will now treat your most current post, and yourself, with the contempt that are deserving of both.

Yeah, i did see that, and i almost felt a little bad. 

You've got a lot of making up to do. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yeah, i did see that, and i almost felt a little bad. 

You've got a lot of making up to do. 

You really do flatter yourself, Spacey. 

Am I calling you the correct name this evening?  I just get so mixed up with all your other names.  🤷🏿‍♂️

Greedy with your food, greedy with your names.  

Just now, Morgan said:

You really do flatter yourself, Spacey. 

Am I calling you the correct name this evening?  I just get so mixed up with all your other names.  🤷🏿‍♂️

Greedy with your food, greedy with your names.  

I'm here to help. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

You're going to send me more than one? happy days, hopefully they're not just your usual one sentence. 

I keep them down to one sentence (or wee picture) because I know you’ll be reading them.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I keep them down to one sentence (or wee picture) because I know you’ll be reading them.

I'll read them, just don't make them pish. 

13 hours ago, jonesy said:

Reminds me of last time I was in China. My wife's uncle had bought me two 'European' beers because they thought I couldn't stand the bai jiu. They came in black cans, and were up at 18%. Could barely stomach them, but was on the verge of being mocked for not being able to drink as much as them. The rest of the night was a total blur, although I did manage to convince them that their bai jiu was preferable to ever even contemplating that beer again.

I once bought a bottle of 'yellow wine' in China for 40p. No idea what it was, as it was before I could read so much. It had the words 'Shanghai' on it, that's all I knew. Vile, vile stuff. I think it was the same night that I got a weird PM on here from a poster who had joined only in order to berate me for dissing an ex-girlfriend of mine on a thread about pets!

I don't mind the Yellow Wine, and some Baijus are palatable. Other ones smell as though something's crawled into them and died.

Spent the last ten years trying to convince the Chinese to drink whisky instead, with only moderate success...

35cl of tesco napoleon brandy or 35cl of three barrels brandy, which is on offer at the moment. 

Should get you pished. 

I was trying to find a quality cognac but failed, maybe a20cl bottle somewhere. 

On 20/09/2020 at 22:08, Morgan said:

.. and quite fancy getting just a bit pished.

What would you buy?  

Not in a pub, obviously.

What would you buy in a supermarket or an off-licence that would get you there?

There is a good reason behind this thread, btw.  

:biggrin:

I think we all know what I recommend 

On 20/09/2020 at 22:32, Morgan said:

What an excellent choice, Carl.  👍

Rioja, or it’s wee brother, Tempranillo, are quite wonderful. 

The older brother being the first pick of course.  🍷

😜

🍷

Edited by JyTees
DP

On 20/09/2020 at 22:32, Morgan said:

What an excellent choice, Carl.  👍

Rioja, or it’s wee brother, Tempranillo, are quite wonderful. 

The older brother being the first pick of course.  🍷

Rioja's a region, tempranillo a grape variety, probably the most popular grape variety in the region. They're frequently one and the same thing. Your sibling analogy makes no sense.

Sorry to be a pedant. I'm a bit anal when it comes to wine 😜.

🍷

12 hours ago, JyTees said:

Rioja's a region, tempranillo a grape variety, probably the most popular grape variety in the region. They're frequently one and the same thing. Your sibling analogy makes no sense.

Sorry to be a pedant. I'm a bit anal when it comes to wine 😜.

🍷

In Rioja, along with Garnacha, but also in many other Spanish wine regions. Just to confuse things slightly, it's sometimes called different things in other regions, for example Cencibel or Tinto de Toro. It's also grown as a wine grape in Portugal, where they call it something different altogether.

Anyway, very nice it is too.

15 hours ago, JyTees said:

Sorry to be a pedant. I'm a bit anal when it comes to wine 😜.

🍷

Not at all.  👍

You are of course, correct.  It was really just a wee joke we have that Rioja is the ‘big brother’ and that Tempranillo is it's ‘wee brother’!

You're quite right to have posted as you did, no offence taken.

Cheers. 🍷

Edited by Morgan

I've never liked either Rioja or Tempranillo untill one of the bosses gave me a bottle of "Muriel" Rioja, that was really nice, I've yet to find a Tempranillo I've liked. 

3 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

In Rioja, along with Garnacha, but also in many other Spanish wine regions. Just to confuse things slightly, it's sometimes called different things in other regions, for example Cencibel or Tinto de Toro. It's also grown as a wine grape in Portugal, where they call it something different altogether.

Anyway, very nice it is too.

Lovely, and always better value than their Gallican neighbours. Although I do love a good Bordeaux 🍷👍🏻

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Not at all.  👍

You are of course, correct.  It was really just a wee joke we have that Rioja is the ‘big brother’ and that Tempranillo is it's ‘wee brother’!

You're quite right to have posted as you did, no offence taken.

Cheers. 🍷

Just a wee bit light hearted pedantry mate 👍🏻😁

If cash is the issue then 2 bottles of Aussie Shiraz (min 14% abv) will do the trick. My late brother-in-law did introduce me to a very nice mix for those who like Baileys? Try it with a shot of Jamieson's in it! It'll go down the neck and after about 12 of those you should be well gone....

1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

If cash is the issue then 2 bottles of Aussie Shiraz (min 14% abv) will do the trick. My late brother-in-law did introduce me to a very nice mix for those who like Baileys? Try it with a shot of Jamieson's in it! It'll go down the neck and after about 12 of those you should be well gone....

So, your late brother-in-law suggested drinking Baileys mixed with Jamieson’s?

12 times?

Late brother-in-law you say?

:interehjrling:

If it wasn't for the minimum pricing malarkey, I could get 6 bottles of Weston's Vintage Cider for £9 at Tesco. £12.30 sadly puts the 8.2% nectar out of range. 😢

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

So, your late brother-in-law suggested drinking Baileys mixed with Jamieson’s?

12 times?

Late brother-in-law you say?

:interehjrling:

Yep, lived hard, died hard

Seymour M Hersh
On 20/09/2020 at 22:08, Morgan said:

.. and quite fancy getting just a bit pished.

What would you buy?  

Not in a pub, obviously.

What would you buy in a supermarket or an off-licence that would get you there?

There is a good reason behind this thread, btw.  

:biggrin:

There is no good reason advocating people getting a bit pished. All or nothing Castleboi! :lol:

19 hours ago, JyTees said:

Lovely, and always better value than their Gallican neighbours. Although I do love a good Bordeaux 🍷👍🏻

Agreed: I've got a lot of time for Spanish wine, but I think Portugal often just shades it in terms of quality combined with good value. Love the mix of flavours you get with Portuguese wines too.

"Good" is an important word with Bordeaux. Buy one for a fiver and all you'll usually get is a thin, sour-tasting, plonk that will maybe be OK in a stew but is no fun at all to drink. However, if you go for one for a tenner plus, or better still nearer the £20 mark, you start to see the attraction: complexity of flavour, richness and generosity of taste and body. As a card-carrying tightwad, I'll almost always go for a southern French red instead though - much more bang for much less buck.

9 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

There is no good reason advocating people getting a bit pished. All or nothing Castleboi! :lol:

Do you think of nothing else but alcohol and young women in football colours, Raeburnboi?

Not such a bally good show.  🧐

Seymour M Hersh
53 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Do you think of nothing else but alcohol and young women in football colours, Raeburnboi?

Not such a bally good show.  🧐

th-4.jpeg

10 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Agreed: I've got a lot of time for Spanish wine, but I think Portugal often just shades it in terms of quality combined with good value. Love the mix of flavours you get with Portuguese wines too.

"Good" is an important word with Bordeaux. Buy one for a fiver and all you'll usually get is a thin, sour-tasting, plonk that will maybe be OK in a stew but is no fun at all to drink. However, if you go for one for a tenner plus, or better still nearer the £20 mark, you start to see the attraction: complexity of flavour, richness and generosity of taste and body. As a card-carrying tightwad, I'll almost always go for a southern French red instead though - much more bang for much less buck.

Yep, good advice. Stay well away from the cheap Bordeaux's. Anything under a score and I'd be a bit apprehensive, although there are sometimes bargains to be had. If you want to treat yourself though and splash out a bit, a fine Margaux or anything Haut Medoc is right up my street.

I'm a big fan of Portuguese as well, love a good bit of oakyness in my wines, similar to most Riojas. Don't seem to be big on exporting their wine though. I'm like a bairn in a sweety shop when holidaying in the Algarve, filling up a trolley full for buttons! Don't seem to get much of a choice over here unfortunately. Unless I'm missing something 🤔

On 22/09/2020 at 12:12, Craig_ said:

I don't mind the Yellow Wine, and some Baijus are palatable. Other ones smell as though something's crawled into them and died.

Spent the last ten years trying to convince the Chinese to drink whisky instead, with only moderate success...

I was in a Chinese restaurant in Bournemouth a few years back and a group of Chinese at the table next to me were drinking full wine glasses of whisky, 3 bottles they went through and got progressively loud.