Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• John Findlay

• Tazio

• mitch41

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

When did this porteous become a good player???

He will never play a higher level than the spl.

He’s not. He’s a bog standard, hatchet man SPL defender.

Talk to any Hibs fan though and you would think he was Baresi.

12 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

He’s not. He’s a bog standard, hatchet man SPL defender.

Talk to any Hibs fan though and you would think he was Baresi.

as you know they are deluded.

manaliveits105

Problem is the weegia go along with the dilussional hobos fantasy e.g. TV yesterday bumming him up as he makes bad tackle after bad tackle and mistake after mistake any right minded football fan can see he is an average spl player at best and a liability

FTH

46 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

When did this porteous become a good player???

He will never play a higher level than the spl.

Probably around the same time Andy Murrays management company took him on.  They're doing a decent job with their client to be fair.  

4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Problem is the weegia go along with the dilussional hobos fantasy e.g. TV yesterday bumming him up as he makes bad tackle after bad tackle and mistake after mistake any right minded football fan can see he is an average spl player at best and a liability

FTH

Everyone says the same about McKenna and he's away for millions.  Even Dundee got £1m for that huddy they had.  I think it's desperation for a good Scottish CH to come through.  There hasn't been one for years. 

Porteous  looks like he’s trying to get a name for himself as a hard man but all he’ll end up doing  is giving himself a bad injury or worse to an opponent. 

Him and Hanlon got the run around only saved by poor refereeing and poor finishing. Kent scores or Arfield scores and Rangers win by two or three. 

9 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Porteous  looks like he’s trying to get a name for himself as a hard man but all he’ll end up doing  is giving himself a bad injury or worse to an opponent. 

Or  he’ll let all the Hibs fans bumming him up as a folk hero go to his head and he’ll go off the rails in terms of off field behaviour. We’ve seen it a hundred times down there. Remember the last “brilliant” young centre have they had? Assaulting Elliott on George Street, then getting caught on Leith Walk in a stolen car. I can’t even remember his name now. 

Found him. Darren McCormack, his Wikipedia makes interesting reading, from Celtic trying to sign him after he broke into the first team at Hibs, to Ross County, to East Fife, to Brechin. Currently suspended from football after a 4 year ban in 2017 for failing a drugs test. 
Found guilty of assault on Elliot, guilty of driving a car without licence or insurance on Leith Walk, and then to top it off charged with attempted murder in 2017 after beating his sisters boyfriend to a pulp outside the Kirkgate. 
Quite the sweetheart.

32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Or  he’ll let all the Hibs fans bumming him up as a folk hero go to his head and he’ll go off the rails in terms of off field behaviour. We’ve seen it a hundred times down there. Remember the last “brilliant” young centre have they had? Assaulting Elliott on George Street, then getting caught on Leith Walk in a stolen car. I can’t even remember his name now. 

Deegan? Looked like the simple guy with the “I Shot JR” tee shirt from Father Ted? Think he was a midfielder though, so maybe not.

Porteous is just James McPake 2 imo.

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Found him. Darren McCormack, his Wikipedia makes interesting reading, from Celtic trying to sign him after he broke into the first team at Hibs, to Ross County, to East Fife, to Brechin. Currently suspended from football after a 4 year ban in 2017 for failing a drugs test. 
Found guilty of assault on Elliot, guilty of driving a car without licence or insurance on Leith Walk, and then to top it off charged with attempted murder in 2017 after beating his sisters boyfriend to a pulp outside the Kirkgate. 
Quite the sweetheart.

Forgot all about him. ****ing hell.

1 minute ago, Beast Boy said:

Deegan? Looked like the simple guy with the “I Shot JR” tee shirt from Father Ted? Think he was a midfielder though, so maybe not.

Porteous is just James McPake 2 imo.

See the post above yours. Another young lad that became a cult hero by being sent off in a derby. Apparently an off the scale bampot all his life though. 

52 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Quite the sweetheart.

So. He's Hibs? Could have saved some typing there, lad!

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

:F6EFFECF-CB36-4574-9BC5-9AAB27271817:

look, taking the maroon tinted specs off we can see he is decent.  Good enough for the under21 scotland team. He might be a bam, he might not be a cultured footballer, but there are several types of centre half’s that can be effective... not everyone is baresi or Hansen.  Those of a certain vintage will remember Kenny burns...  he just cleared out everything in front of him... never a brilliant ball player. Still won two european cups.   There’s my balanced view....   still want him to fail whilst he is at hibs.

Fitzroy Pointon

Wonder if big KK fancies coming out from retirement for the Semi.  

The thought of him bundling over that thug makes me smile. 

6 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Define “no nonsense”.

aggressive stopper...  when I were a lad generally the number 5 would be the stopper... man mark the centre half, win in the air, tackle like a demon. The other wing half role that was moved back in to the back 4 as a ball player...  usually number 6 or 4, would ether be a sweeper behind the centre half or play flat but be spare or pick up the opposing inside forward and organise the back 4. Need intelligence and game sense for this, eg Willie miller.

It's a curious modern phenomena, the centre halfs that are so highly rated. 

McKenna has a chance to prove us all wrong. Porteous probably replace him now as the best in Scotland. 

24 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

aggressive stopper...  when I were a lad generally the number 5 would be the stopper... man mark the centre half, win in the air, tackle like a demon. The other wing half role that was moved back in to the back 4 as a ball player...  usually number 6 or 4, would ether be a sweeper behind the centre half or play flat but be spare or pick up the opposing inside forward and organise the back 4. Need intelligence and game sense for this, eg Willie miller.

Cheers. I know what you mean, but I’m not sure that style of play is really tolerated as much anymore. Modern centrehalfs/centre backs tend to have to be good footballers too, as referees generally don’t let them away with as much as they did. Whether that’s right or wrong is another debate though. The problem with Porteous for me, is he doesn’t really seem to read the game very well, and tries to make up for it with last ditch tackles and lunges. Only a matter of time before he seriously injures himself or someone else imo. 

jamboinglasgow
13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a curious modern phenomena, the centre halfs that are so highly rated. 

McKenna has a chance to prove us all wrong. Porteous probably replace him now as the best in Scotland. 

McKenna is a funny one, when he had a good season he was hyped too much and over rated. But there was a correction to become completely opposite where he was made out to be awful, so he become very under rated. There is never a happy medium when rating centre backs.

3 hours ago, Voxpop said:

I think he’s a pretty good no nonsense centre half.

I think you would be better off sticking to Hibs.net or the Bounce.

Kilmarnock have a half decent one in my namesake Stuart Findlay. Who by the way was learning his trade with Dumbarton the last time we were in the Championship.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Voxpop said:

look, taking the maroon tinted specs off we can see he is decent.  Good enough for the under21 scotland team. He might be a bam, he might not be a cultured footballer, but there are several types of centre half’s that can be effective... not everyone is baresi or Hansen.  Those of a certain vintage will remember Kenny burns...  he just cleared out everything in front of him... never a brilliant ball player. Still won two european cups.   There’s my balanced view....   still want him to fail whilst he is at hibs.

He's not a good player. He's physically developed earlier than most his age but his decision making is woeful and is often at fault for being caught out of position. 

He'll satisfy a lot of that mob's support but they've not had many decent defenders in the last 40 years to compare against. 

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Quite the sweetheart.

Im sure his dad trains or did train josh taylor..should maybe have tried his hand(s) in the ring by the sound of it😆

Guest ToqueJambo

Imagine being Gerrard - ok, I'm a Liverpool fan but he was genuinely one of the world's best ever midfielders not very long ago - and having to deal with a talentless no mark like Porteous trying to wind him up. He must really want that Liverpool manager job to stick it out at Rangers this long.

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He's not a good player. He's physically developed earlier than most his age but his decision making is woeful and is often at fault for being caught out of position. 

He'll satisfy a lot of that mob's support but they've not had many decent defenders in the last 40 years to compare against. 

We're used to our best defenders being Rolls Royces - Hickey being the latest - so it's hard for us to relate to or highly rate a player like Porteous.

Edited by ToqueJambo

5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

FTH

Shoe in future Celtic signing then

22 hours ago, Voxpop said:

Kenny Burns also played as a striker and had plenty of talent winning English Leagues and European Cups. Porteous is just pure dirty and is massively overated.

I’ve not got time for him but he is the type of player we have missed....we have a CB that is a rolls Royce of a player but has has 3 serious injuries.

we haven’t had bite in our team for ages, I don’t want a thug like everyone calls him but apart from Naismith the rest of our team are soft hence why we got relegated 

On 23/08/2020 at 19:37, Do The Dance said:

I checked this thread to see if he was a signing target. Didn’t know who he was, or that he was a Hibs player. Maybe I’m out of touch :lol:

SNAP!

58 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Kenny Burns also played as a striker and had plenty of talent winning English Leagues and European Cups. Porteous is just pure dirty and is massively overated.

Porteous is not in the same league as Kenny Burns in any department . That includes the 'dirty *******' department

43 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Porteous is not in the same league as Kenny Burns in any department . That includes the 'dirty *******' department

Spot on.

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Couldnt lace Kenny Burns's boots.

46 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Couldnt lace Kenny Burns's boots.

Never advisable ! To be fair , despite his deserved bad boy reputation , Burns was a good footballer .

5 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Never advisable ! To be fair , despite his deserved bad boy reputation , Burns was a good footballer .

He was a tremendous reader of the game and tackler. Was a very good headerer of the ball.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

He was a tremendous reader of the game and tackler. Was a very good headerer of the ball.

Lived in Staffordshire when he was at Stafford Rangers . Interviewed on local tele , was asked about his reputation . Said that referees picked on him !

13 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Lived in Staffordshire when he was at Stafford Rangers . Interviewed on local tele , was asked about his reputation . Said that referees picked on him !

There is a famous pic of him kneeling for a photo shoot with his left testicle making an appearance.

Bazzas right boot

I couldn't pick him out of a line up but there is a whole thread on him on here. 

Is he actually decent but just hibs or just shite? 

I can't recall him playing v us at all. 

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I couldn't pick him out of a line up but there is a whole thread on him on here. 

Is he actually decent but just hibs or just shite? 

I can't recall him playing v us at all. 

He’s a vermin *****