Ryan Porteous

Fort Vallance

14 hours ago, Kyle1874 said:

This 100% sick of hearing how good the boy is/going to be every time I have seen him he has been an abomination look forward to seeing him starting for Scotland and getting his arse handed to him buy some no mark Country

Hope not mate that would probably mean our national team is getting beaten again.:th_Rage2:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• John Findlay

• Tazio

• mitch41

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Hope not mate that would probably mean our national team is getting beaten again.:th_Rage2:

After everything that has transpired the last few months I am alright with that 

only hearts now 

loveofthegame

Part of a defence yet to concede from open play after 5 league games (albeit with a bit of luck from a shocking decision by a linesman yesterday).

Hibs have been incredibly ordinary from what i've seen so far this season but the fact that they aren't conceding goals gives them a platform to snatch wins like against Utd and St J, and pick up spare points like v Motherwell.

He has a lot to work on, in particular how rash he is, but whether you like him or not he will be a very competent Scottish Premiership CH. 

Samuel Camazzola
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

You can’t say that about Lewis!

He’s Mister Hibs, don’t you know?

4 hours ago, Mister T said:

But but but you can't knock an icon like "Louie" as he's been picked by every hibs manager in the last 10 years. So he must be good otherwise that suggests 

every one of their managers in the last 10 years has been a clueless ****wit.

Oh wait. Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher, Stubbs..... 

He's so poor he couldn't get into the car crash of a team that got skelped at Hampden. The player ahead of him? Pa "Wooly Gloves" Kujabi! 😂 The Zambian Roberto Carlos! 

Rumour has it Stevenson is referred to as the Scottish Roland Edge! 

SectionDJambo

With one or two exceptions, I couldn’t tell you who plays for Hibs. I wouldn’t be able to recognise any of them, other than those one or two.
I have no interest in them.

7 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Must be a very weird way. I saw almost every minute of McLaren as a Hearts player. Don’t see it.

Think it's the commitment, physicality and ruddy cheeks 🥵 

4 minutes ago, oi oi said:

Think it's the commitment, physicality and ruddy cheeks 🥵 

Hard to argue with that. McLaren being a fantastic technically gifted footballer kinda got in the way of me seeing the comparison. :D 

Guest ToqueJambo
17 hours ago, oi oi said:

In a weird way he actually reminds me of a young Alan McLaren.

One of the weirdest footballer comparisons I've ever heard. At 16 McLaren was already being touted as a future Scotland captain (not that far into the future either). At Porteous's age now McLaren was marking Roberto Baggio out of the game for Scotland.

He’s one of those idiots that Hibs seem to produce that every interview they mention how big a fan they are of Hibs. Like they’re unique in playing for their club of choice, he’s also the type that feeds off the crowds noise which is what makes him play recklessly  the way he does. As others have said before he is going to cause a bad injury at some point, hopefully not to another player.  And when it does happen the chances are it will be a Easter Road against the OF or in a derby when the East Stand thugs are at their most vocal egging him on. 
Proper good players learn to play calm, emotion and Adrenalin only go so far.  

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

He’s one of those idiots that Hibs seem to produce that every interview they mention how big a fan they are of Hibs. Like they’re unique in playing for their club of choice, he’s also the type that feeds off the crowds noise which is what makes him play recklessly  the way he does. As others have said before he is going to cause a bad injury at some point, hopefully not to another player.  And when it does happen the chances are it will be a Easter Road against the OF or in a derby when the East Stand thugs are at their most vocal egging him on. 
Proper good players learn to play calm, emotion and Adrenalin only go so far.  

Like it when you say hopefully he doesn't badly injure another player.  Ages ago, a young female journalist was interviewing Colin Meade about his career.  At one point she suggested to him that rugby was a hard and sometimes brutal game.  It certainly is he responded sarcastically, don't forget that in my first international I broke a leg.  Fortunately, it wasn't one of mine.

On 23/08/2020 at 18:12, Fort Vallance said:

In my lifetime I've hated dozens of these ##### Kane, Brown, Thomson etc. I'm predicting  Porteous will soon be joining that esteemed list. 

The laddie is just a good old fashioned stopper and with that he comes with the no nonsense role which requires a bit of oomph to his game. 

He's still got a lot to learn to try and develop into a modern day styled defender (ball at feet type) but my prediction is he'll maintain that pivotal role at the back using his limited abilities to clear his lines.

The Big Uch' used his strengths against him and was successful, he has his weaknesses.

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

The laddie is just a good old fashioned stopper and with that he comes with the no nonsense role which requires a bit of oomph to his game. 

He's still got a lot to learn to try and develop into a modern day styled defender (ball at feet type) but my prediction is he'll maintain that pivotal role at the back using his limited abilities to clear his lines.

The Big Uch' used his strengths against him and was successful, he has his weaknesses.

I think in our league he is ideal, big brute no nonsense defender, besides a fit soapy for example would be a good combination.

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, dannymack said:

That type of player is a dinosaur in todays game and should in no way, shape or form be encouraged or lauded. Add to that he's a vermin supporter. 

13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That type of player is a dinosaur in todays game and should in no way, shape or form be encouraged or lauded. Add to that he's a vermin supporter. 

Of course, that style of defending should only be adopted when its backs against the wall.

Very rarely now do you see that rough and ready 'stopper' playing for teams. 

Mr Berra is our stopper but does it with a lot less risk of causing serious damage to opposing players.

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

I think in our league he is ideal, big brute no nonsense defender, besides a fit soapy for example would be a good combination.

Agreed, Scottish Football isn't exactly the best so that style of defending fits in well.

Fort Vallance
4 hours ago, dannymack said:

It's all about opinions and yours is perfectly valid. My opinion is that he's a clogger and he will seriously injure somebody eventually.

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Of course, that style of defending should only be adopted when its backs against the wall.

Very rarely now do you see that rough and ready 'stopper' playing for teams. 

Mr Berra is our stopper but does it with a lot less risk of causing serious damage to opposing players.

2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

It's all about opinions and yours is perfectly valid. My opinion is that he's a clogger and he will seriously injure somebody eventually.

I agree 👍 

John Findlay
On 24/08/2020 at 10:26, ExPatTam said:

He will never get a Scotland call up - trust me, it won't happen.

Correct. Any player worth their salt, just run at him, and he's a frightened rabbit caught in the car headlights.

The last one of his ilk: an overhyped hatchet-man who’s game is centred around last ditch lunges, was James McPake. He captained them to the worst defeat in their history:

5C638F64-5758-4695-9835-CB6D75210DB5.jpeg

John Findlay

Interesting that the support who believe their team should be Scotland's flair artists, voted for boot it up in the air and make sure the baw comes doon with snow on it Porteous as their Hibs man of the match yesterday. Yes seriously.

He's good in the air and seems solid enough defensively. He needs to cut out the rash tackles though. Did he not hurt himself already against Dundee Utd and it basically ended his season? 

I think he's a poor mans McKenna tbh. Rather have McKenna's calmness and physicality. 

"Porto" is a loose canon who charges into players with the sole intent to injury them. I recall that red card he received against The Rangers at Easter Road. "Porto" is a clumsy lump whose distribution of the ball is exceptionally poor. He's technically terrible and he's hot headed. Yet he's being touted for a Scotland call up.

Modern day CB's are expected to be good with the ball at their feet. I'm paraphrasing Brendan Rogers but he once said that if a centre back cannot dribble himself out of trouble he's not good enough to play for Celtic - he wasn't encouraging his Celtic CB's to go on Maradona runs but more they should have that ability.

Its a crying shame that Souttar has suffered with injuries. He's what you would refer to as a modern centre back - he has the touch and passing of a midfielder. He is still youngster and has the potential to play at a higher level then Scotland. 

Scott Mckenna (another overhyped Scottish player) in fairness looked good for the sheep on Saturday. Considerably better than "Porto". Its utterly depressing when Scotlands CB pairing could potentially be Mckenna and "Porto". Neither of them are a patch on Weir, Webster or Pressley.

The only two Scottish centre backs in my lifetime who could bring the ball out with confidence with their feet from the back were Alan Hansen and Craig Levein.

He’s a cart horse but to be fair we’ve not exactly had any decent centre half’s for a while . Berra before his injury but that’s about it

Bazzas right boot
22 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The only two Scottish centre backs in my lifetime who could bring the ball out with confidence with their feet from the back were Alan Hansen and Craig Levein.

Weir. 

Big Dave was under rated too, was a very capable ball playing centre half but not the same level as the guys above. 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Weir. 

Big Dave was under rated too, was a very capable ball playing centre half but not the same level as the guys above. 

David Weir lacked pace. Had to be a good reader of the game. Definitely not in the same class as Hansen and Levein.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

David Weir lacked pace. Had to be a good reader of the game. Definitely not in the same class as Hansen and Levein.

I was specifically referring to your point about "bring(ing) the ball out with confidence with their feet from the back", Weir was good at that imo. 

I agree, Weir wasn't the fastest, Likley stopped him short of playing at the very top level of the game but still one of the best, if not the best I've seen in maroon. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ryan Porteous is the new Jordan Forster, another over-hyped Hibs defender. Don’t know if he’s even still playing.

will be lining up against us for dundee this season, with Jordan McGhee next to him and Jack Hamilton behind no less 😭

6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

will be lining up against us for dundee this season, with Jordan McGhee next to him and Jack Hamilton behind no less 😭

It’s got 0-0 written all over it 🙈

Holyrood_Hearts

Porteous is a thug.

Look at his red card v Rangers last season & im sure his season-ending injury came as a result of him trying to leave one on a Dundee Utd player. The boy’s a prick 

jamboinglasgow

Watched the match today and came away puzzled why people are calling for him to be called up. His defensive work was average at best, and his actions with Morelos showed a player who has shown no maturity and thus is a red card waiting to happen. 

Hibs also showing little class again with their tweet, but thats not surprising.

Didn't see the whole game but Gerrard is a complete fud for blanking him and then yakking about him to the media.  His players had 90 mins  plus injury time to deal with Porteous and co and didn't manage it. 

Edited by JackLadd

43 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Watched the match today and came away puzzled why people are calling for him to be called up.

I just assumed folk mean ‘called up’ in front of a disciplinary panel.

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Watched the match today and came away puzzled why people are calling for him to be called up. His defensive work was average at best, and his actions with Morelos showed a player who has shown no maturity and thus is a red card waiting to happen. 

Hibs also showing little class again with their tweet, but thats not surprising.

Maybe the government are thinking of bringing back national service?

On 24/08/2020 at 12:12, SectionDJambo said:

With one or two exceptions, I couldn’t tell you who plays for Hibs. I wouldn’t be able to recognise any of them, other than those one or two.
I have no interest in them.

Stevenson the only one that comes to mind.

12 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Didn't see the whole game but Gerrard is a complete fud for blanking him and then yakking about him to the media.  His players had 90 mins  plus injury time to deal with Porteous and co and didn't manage it. 

Anytime I've watched porteous thought he was a red card in waiting . But an ok centre half . He is a young player though

Gerrard is indeed an immature fud

I think Hearts could do with a player like him in terms of noising up the opposition and getting in their faces. We haven’t had a player like that since Ian Black!

The fact that Morelos, Tavenier and Gerrard wouldn’t shake his hand at the end of the game shows he did enough to annoy them sufficiently - well done.

Gerrard is classless if he thinks managing the Rangers will get him the Liverpool hot seat he’s so wrong.