Anderton has a pop at VR

bighusref

Early edition of the EEN. No punches pulled in the article. Selected quote, re Bednar boxing....

The little man with the big ego taking on a guy who he knew wouldn't fight back against his boss. If it was me with the gloves on I'd have punched his lights out

jambovambo

Exactly. How Bednar put up with that, I don't know. A(nother) dark day in Romanov's tenure.

paulyjambo
Early edition of the EEN. No punches pulled in the article. Selected quote, re Bednar boxing....

That has been around before in one of his earlier interviews months and months back

How funny everything might have been if Roman had just lamped the wee Baltic bampot when he had the opportunity.

:sad:

Fig149.jpg

He doesn't spend any time at Tynecastle now the team isn't doing well. He's hidden himself away and only seems to show when he thinks there's going to be some glory for him' date=' That makes it hard for anyone to communicate with him.

Consequently, you have to go through his puppets and that is a difficult way to talk with someone because you're going through a third party. You don't know exactly what's being relayed to him.[/quote']

it goes on, it is all good stuff tbh. Nothing that the fans haven't said or heard, but clarity from a man that had to endure it.

Full article on now.

LINES of communication with Vladimir Romanov are dead' date=' and have been for some time.

Hearts supporters craving updates on developments at their club are left largely in the dark. Occasional scraps are tossed out of Tynecastle via the official club website for the flock of ever-loyal Jambos to feed on, but only when absolutely necessaADVERTISEMENTry.

This is precisely how Romanov wants it.

While Hearts' officials strive to encourage their paymaster to divulge his plans for the future, they are continually met with stubborn resistance from Lithuania. Worryingly, as far as Romanov is concerned, Hearts fans, the media and even senior club employees in Edinburgh are informed only on a need-to-know basis, the concept of professional public relations remaining alien to the former Russian submariner.

Every public statement emanating from Gorgie must first be ratified by Ukio Bankas Investment Group officials in eastern Europe, a bizarre policy which shows little sign of changing in the near future despite supporters' exasperation.

Romanov is currently attempting to appoint a new managerial team but has no wish to discuss this project with anyone. The only official comment on the matter since January 1 was a brief statement on Hearts' website announcing their approach for Motherwell's Mark McGhee, which was refused. Neither Vladimir Weiss nor Jurgen Rober have rated a mention by the club. Player and staff movements, both in and out, are frequently announced after they have been reported in the media, if at all.

Mauricio Pinilla agreed a new three-year deal personally with Romanov in April and spent most of last month undertaking a fitness programme in Lithuania as a guest of the majority shareholder, none of which Hearts were permitted to comment on. A brief three-paragraph website statement confirmed his release earlier this week, with no reason given.

At the time of writing, Jose Goncalves' departure on loan to Nurnberg had yet to be communicated through official Hearts channels, likewise the arrival of English trialist Richie Jones.

The lack of clarity and forthright planning for the season ahead has several first-team players, such as captain Christophe Berra and winger Andy Driver, seeking an escape route before the transfer window closes on August 31.

It's a situation which any other club in western Europe would abhor. However, Hearts operate to their owner's command and, therefore, what may be termed normal practice in UK football has ceased at Tynecastle.

Whether it's Pedro Lopez, Campbell Ogilvie or UBIG's own Mindaugas Nikolicius, each employee is carrying out the instructions of one man, and they daren't speak publicly about it.

Charlie Mann, for so long a vehement champion of the Romanov cause, recently severed ties with Romanov, the dissolving of a partnership which said much about the majority shareholder's determination to withdraw from the public. "Vladimir wants less communication than there has been over the past few months. I don't feel that's right," said Mann.

Of course, it shouldn't be this way. The irony for Hearts is that one former employee with public relations skills coming out of his ears is now surfing the crest of a wave in an alternative sport. With the eyes of the world on Wimbledon, the ATP's chief marketing officer, Phil Anderton, took time out to speak about the complicated process of communicating with Romanov, and of how he is short-changing Hearts supporters with his defiant silence.

"Trying to communicate with him is extremely difficult. He pretends he can't speak any English when we know he can," said Anderton, sacked by Romanov as Hearts chief executive in October 2005. "He doesn't spend any time at Tynecastle now the team isn't doing well. He's hidden himself away and only seems to show when he thinks there's going to be some glory for him. That makes it hard for anyone to communicate with him.

"Consequently, you have to go through his puppets and that's a difficult way to talk with someone because you're going through a third party. You don't know exactly what's being relayed to him.

"The rare times you get the opportunity to speak to him directly, it's very much a monologue. He basically tells you what to do and if there's any sense of disagreement or suggesting another point of view, you'll certainly get that look of 'this is mine, and this is the way we're going to do things'.

"Romanov got upset when I tried to communicate with the fans. He just didn't like other people having the limelight. Hearts is his toy and he wants to be the guy getting all the glory.

"He didn't like it when George Burley had his name sung by the fans, didn't like it if I was in the papers. His little puppets send him all the newspaper clippings and he hated seeing me out there communicating.

"I saw my role very simply. After the Chris Robinson era when there was very little communication from the club and consequently a pretty negative atmosphere amongst fans, the situation was straightforward. The fans are the people who bankroll the club and the ones who are passionate about it, they should be kept up to speed wherever possible.

"Clearly there are areas of confidentiality which you can't discuss publicly. But you should give updates on signings or any plans for what you're doing. I think now, because things have turned sour, it's the classic case of 'I'm taking my ball away, you're not playing' and Romanov is snubbing everyone. I just look at it and say it's pathetic. It sticks two fingers up at the fans."

Anderton believes alienating supporters will not be a matter for undue concern at Romanov's Kaunas headquarters.

He continued: "I personally think he'll be getting a little kick out of that. People are getting upset at this guy, it will give him a perverse sense of power that he's been able to engender that type of reaction.

"He has the ability to upset people and have them asking for answers and only he has the power to grant them their wishes, or not so. Romanov knows Hearts supporters are loyal to their club but they are in a very difficult position. What you would normally do in business after getting treated this way is go somewhere else, but in football you can't do that. There's no way a Hearts fan will go and support another team, it's a betrayal of the club not to turn up to matches.

"Romanov communicated a lot in the beginning through his people because he was in a courting process. He gained control of Hearts, then the communicating slowly reduced to where we are now. I don't think it's a coincidence that he doesn't show up at Tynecastle when the team isn't doing well. Guys with courage and passion turn up and take the rough with the smooth. Romanov only wants to turn up when he's being praised, he scurries off to his bolt hole in Lithuania when things aren't going well.

"Will things change? If the team starts performing well and he feels he can attain reflected glory from that, I don't doubt he'll be there wearing his maroon and white scarf and waving to the crowd. But knowing the guy and the stubborn ways he acts, I don't see it changing. It just reminds me of the old Russian propaganda-style secrecy of giving people hope then taking it away.

"What encapsulates Romanov for me was him with the boxing gloves on fighting Roman Bednar. A classic example of the little man with the big ego taking on a guy who he knew wouldn't fight back, at least not against his boss. If it was me with the gloves on I'd have punched the guy's lights out."

Anderton, like Mann, isn't ignorant of the possibility that Romanov might just harbour a grandiose plan that will return Hearts to a challenging position in Scotland. In that respect, any public protests conducted in the near future would matter little. However, he remains sceptical of the Russian's long-term intentions.

"If you look at the club's income, ticketing is a large part but not the be all and end all. Sponsorship and TV money is there irrespective of the fans, so how he treats the Hearts public depends what his ulterior motive is," said Anderton.

"Do the fans really matter or is there some other vision the guy has which is not dependent upon having a full house every week? Who knows the answer to that question?"

Answer after answer is sought by fans and media alike, but Romanov's silence is deafening.[/quote']

"Do the fans really matter or is there some other vision the guy has which is not dependent upon having a full house every week? Who knows the answer to that question?"

Asset stripping. Time to do something folks.

marshallschunkychicken

Well said Phil.

Part of a superb setup at Hearts that was destroyed by one man's ego and jealousy.

Criminal.

jambovambo

Superb article, encompassing all that we are concerned about.

Anyone care to defend Romanov's methods?

How funny everything might have been if Roman had just lamped the wee Baltic bampot when he had the opportunity.

:sad:

I would actually love to see that.

Someone. Anyone. Please do it....

The People's Chimp

Well said. Not one thing that could be disagreed with and just shows the ****e situation we're in.

bean counter

Firework Phil puts boot into 'pathetic' Hearts owner Vlad

Date: 04 July 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

For the past couple of years anything written by Mr. Anderson has been viewed as tainted as many people on believe his agenda is anti hearts

So why is this article being read differently

Adi Dassler
I would actually love to see that.

Someone. Anyone. Please do it....

IMO the way things are going it's only a matter of time before the situation manifests itself in some form of violence.

People will only take so much before fighting back, and as there seems to be SFA we can do about the whole sorry affair i can only see emotions spilling over at some point not too far down the line.

Wether that be fans fighting amongst themselves at a game or trouble happening at some form of protest.

Robinson got a smack in the mouth, bound to happen to one of the current "regime" at some point.

I am not condoning it, just think that it will happen at some point.

By BARRY ANDERSON

For the past couple of years anything written by Mr. Anderson has been viewed as tainted as many people on believe his agenda is anti hearts

Cos it's bang on the money?

What an excellent interview

Goodness me, one of the most sought after marketing men in world sport must be an absurd fool too. I'm glad I keep such good company to be honest

Anyway, a lot of new stuff there including this:

"The lack of clarity and forthright planning for the season ahead has several first-team players, such as captain Christophe Berra and winger Andy Driver, seeking an escape route before the transfer window closes on August 31."

Paper talk yes, but it backs up other posts on this issue, one from a pretty good source.

Way to go Vlad.

I am not condoning it

I am lol.... as stated, i'd love to see someone smack him about the chops.

Oh deary me

Yes things have gone so downhill in his career he is so bitter since he left Hearts

He's got one of most powerful marketing jobs in world sport. His professional reputation is completely in tact. He lost nothing

How on earth could his view be considered tainted and agenda driven?

You know at some stage, when a former employee of Romanov speaks out, it must stop being the case that it is just some sort of bitter ex-employee lashing out

Surely?

In some sort of world filled with intelligent adults, no?

Well said Phil.

Part of a superb setup at Hearts that was destroyed by one man's ego and jealousy.

Criminal.

How great was that couple of months with the constant interviews on the site from Anderton/Burley and Co. Was such an exciting time.

Romanov GTF. Surely everyone in their right mind can see that this guy aint capable of change.

Pants Shaton

Where is this world and how does one get there?

The artical sums up our current state.

The Hearts support deserve better than Romanov, the question is whether they have the spine to demand better. Unfortunatley so far the answer has been no !

flecktimus

Asset stripping. Time to do something folks.

My big fear is that he has already got the old ticket office from the Mercer family and will soon have the old school. With the addition of these 2 plots I would think it would put more value on Tyncastle and would help with any exit strategy.

Pants Shaton
How great was that couple of months with the constant interviews on the site from Anderton/Burley and Co. Was such an exciting time.

Romanov GTF. Surely everyone in their right mind can see that this guy aint capable of change.

You know if it wasn't for those 2 months we'd probably all be resigned to what is happening at the moment. As Hearts fans we're used to being run by incompetents and perennially under-achieving. That glimpse of what could be achieved under Romanov, with a decent manager in place, is heart-breaking now.

The months of August and September 2005 were the best I've ever felt as a Hearts supporter - when 'Believe' was a reality and not a stick for Hobos to beat us with.

Well done Romanov.

You know if it wasn't for those 2 months we'd probably all be resigned to what is happening at the moment. As Hearts fans we're used to being run by incompetents and perennially under-achieving. That glimpse of what could be achieved under Romanov, with a decent manager in place, is heart-breaking now.

The months of August and September 2005 were the best I've ever felt as a Hearts supporter - when 'Believe' was a reality and not a stick for Hobos to beat us with.

Well done Romanov.

Remember though, and this is key

Romanov was still in his courting period at that stage. He needed Deans shares to clinch full control

The day after he got full control Burley was gone

THIS IS NO COINCIDENCE

Romanovs methods have been clear since he got full control. Before then he was just serenading us - largely deceitfully.

So really this period was evidence of what Hearts could achieve with backing and a good team of professionals in place NOT evidence of what Hearts could achieve with Romanov. The two are quite distinct.

So we cant harp back to what Romanov is capable of because the good times (in the context of strong management / lack of interference etc) have never existed WITH HIM IN FULL CONTROL

The cup win was with Burley's team, and the leadership of Elvis primarily

Pants Shaton
Remember though, and this is key

Romanov was still in his courting period at that stage. He needed Deans shares to clinch full control

The day after he got full control Burley was gone

THIS IS NO COINCIDENCE

Romanovs methods have been clear since he got full control. Before then he was just serenading us - largely deceitfully.

So really this period was evidence of what Hearts could achieve with backing and a good team of professionals in place NOT evidence of what Hearts could achieve with Romanov. The two are quite distinct.

So we cant harp back to what Romanov is capable of because the good times (in the context of strong management / lack of interference etc) have never existed WITH HIM IN FULL CONTROL

The cup win was with Burley's team, and the leadership of Elvis primarily

I'm well aware of that. The rhetoric changed from SPL wins and Europe to 'youth development' and 'sewing pockets up'.

In the words of Smokey Robinson, "A taste of honey's worse than none at all".

scots civil war

i laughed out loud in the supermarket earlier,when i opened the back pages

of the news and saw the caption about,"if it was me id have punched his lights out".......PRICELESS

absolutely phil,your the ****ing man bigtime.that footage of the baltic dwarf having a go at bednar is one of the most embaressing bits of mentalism ever.................................................................................................................................it even ranks up there with bapswents childish attempts at defusing our grave situation.picture of a childs toy indeed !!!!!!!

freudian innit....................................................................

We_are_the_Hearts

Best moment was Livingston in the sun..............7000 Jambos for a Sunday game on Setanta...............4-1 win with Dougie McDonald as ref!!!!!!!

Confidence was out of control.......................

Then Vlad made a comment in the paper about "hoping to be as popular in the future with his decisions"...................sniffed a RAT right there and he hasn't disappointed. He has slowly sucked the life out of us and some good honest Jambos (intelligent in some cases:)) are still in DENIAL.

The Laughing Goalie

Really good article from Anderson (even though he is a Rankers fan), Mr Anderton has probably been waiting on money coming through from Hearts before he opened his gub.

heartgarfunkel

This Romanov low-life needs to be booted very hard in the baws.

It would be so good to get him and his freak show away to **** from our beloved club.

GTF you weasel

By BARRY ANDERSON

Because it is not bandersons oppinion or input. it is phil Andertons experience in working for Romanov. Could you not tell that? The article if full of quotes from P anderton.......

it's not banderson speculating so therefore it as good as gold :) shame, but that article leaves people like you with very little scope for defending Romanov.

Ron Burgundy

With Vlad's background the thought of a speccy ex public schoolboy type wanting to biff him must send shivers down his spine.

Anderton is history,get over it.

bean counter
Because it is not bandersons oppinion or input. it is phil Andertons experience in working for Romanov. Could you not tell that? The article if full of quotes from P anderton.......

it's not banderson speculating so therefore it as good as gold :) shame, but that article leaves people like you with very little scope for defending Romanov.

You are so wrong. The first third is all Andersons opinion. The last two thirds are from an interview with Phil. I have no reason to doubt any of the Phil Anderton quotes, and where was I defending Romanov ?

Oh deary me

Yes things have gone so downhill in his career he is so bitter since he left Hearts

He's got one of most powerful marketing jobs in world sport. His professional reputation is completely in tact. He lost nothing

How on earth could his view be considered tainted and agenda driven?

You know at some stage, when a former employee of Romanov speaks out, it must stop being the case that it is just some sort of bitter ex-employee lashing out

Surely?

Apparently not! ;)

The poster you quoted was talking about 'Mr Anderson' - he's the ginger-heid currant bun that works for the EEN.

He doesn't have "one of most powerful marketing jobs in world sport" - that would be 'Mr Anderton'.

By BARRY ANDERSON

Probably because it is what we have all suspected all along. I certainly dont see Romanov or his lackeys disputing one item or even threatening a lawsuit. But undoubtebly Romanov or Lopez will spit the dummy, that is after all their style

Excellent piece by Anderton. At last someone pulls no punches and really tells the truth, depressing though it is.

What I Find most frustrating is the fact that the Burley/Anderton/Foulkes/Pressley regime was brilliant for Hearts. We had Scottish football there for the taking but for the mad antics of the Vlad regime. He is truly a lunatic and we are at now at his mercy.

Come on Jambos, we bought the Vlad vision - now what do we do?

Excellent piece by Anderton. At last someone pulls no punches and really tells the truth, depressing though it is.

What I Find most frustrating is the fact that the Burley/Anderton/Foulkes/Pressley regime was brilliant for Hearts. We had Scottish football there for the taking but for the mad antics of the Vlad regime. He is truly a lunatic and we are at now at his mercy.

Come on Jambos, we bought the Vlad vision - now what do we do?

Sit back and watch it slowly die.

Thats what the "real supporters" are doing.

I on the other hand am enjoying my life away from the doom that is Hearts,well done vlad,since you have fecked up big time I can now buy thing's I never dreamed of buying last year.

I get the impression that Anderton is as frustrated as the rest of us by what has gone on at the club. He saw in those early days under Burley the massive potential of this club - and Phil was a big part in bringing about the feel good factor that there was about the club at that time.

I'd love to be able to see Romanov's face when one of his puppets translates that newspaper cutting for him.

lost in leith
I'd love to be able to see Romanov's face when one of his puppets translates that newspaper cutting for him.

Probably translated as "Barry Anderson says that he now realises that you have a sound long term strategy to fight Mowgli and his minions, and the fans are right beyond you. Phil Anderton admits that he was killing the club and you were right to sack him."

Vlad nods wisely, strokes the pussy cat sitting on his lap and dreams of Miko lifting the Champions League trophy in May 2010.

Cappuccino Kid

Wish i had a pound for every time some scrawny specky guy told me what he would have done once the bully had left the scene.

Francis Albert

Is Phil " I'd punch his lights out" Anderton related in any way to the Phil Anderton who didn't resign when Burley was sacked, who didn't immediately explain exactly why he was resigning, but instead waited to be sacked and kept quiet in case it prejudiced his compensation payment. Brave words three years on are cheap.

lost in leith
Is Phil " I'd punch his lights out" Anderton related in any way to the Phil Anderton who didn't resign when Burley was sacked, who didn't immediately explain exactly why he was resigning, but instead waited to be sacked and kept quiet in case it prejudiced his compensation payment. Brave words three years on are cheap.

Fair comment. So what's your take on the current state of the club. You only seem to appear to slate people who are critical of Vlad. Are you happy? If not, what do you suggest we do? Continue to stick our heads in the sand and pray for a miracle? Please don't bother with the the old line about things were worse in the past.

Ray Winstone

Good article with some great quotes from Phil Anderton - a man who I still hold a huge amount of respect for.

And he pretty much tells you boys begging for Protests and boycotts that its not going to work.

Selling tickets is not "the be all or end all"

Archived