*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Looking around the league and apart from Celtic and St Mirren I can't think of a club who has their shit together.

Am I missing a club that are being sensibly ran off the field and putting a decent product on it? They also seem to be lacking a long term structure or plan.

Livi are doing well to be fair but kind of get the feeling they will tail off in the second half of the season.

We have a huge opportunity to really pull away over the next couple of years. 

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Selkirkhmfc1874
9 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Looking around the league and apart from Celtic and St Mirren I can't think of a club who has their shit together.

Am I missing a club that are being sensibly ran off the field and putting a decent product on it? They also seem to be lacking a long term structure or plan.

Livi are doing well to be fair but kind of get the feeling they will tail off in the second half of the season.

St Mirren just posted a £1.6 million loss

Under the floodlight
8 hours ago, neilnunb said:

He'll be known as Rentagob when he becomes a BBC pundit.

He'll be haunting somewhere that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

St Mirren just posted a £1.6 million loss

Oh really? I thought they were doing better with reducing the old firm allocation, increasing their own attendance and a bit of off the field community stuff? 

Take that back then, apart from us and Celtic are there any other clubs that aren't complete basket cases?! 

30 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Oh really? I thought they were doing better with reducing the old firm allocation, increasing their own attendance and a bit of off the field community stuff? 

Take that back then, apart from us and Celtic are there any other clubs that aren't complete basket cases?! 

To be fair, this is a loss for the previous year so those initiatives may well improve the situation.  But for a club if their size that’s a big number and they will probably be looking to sell if they have any high value players.    We are in such a good place and in far better shape outside of the big 2.   The Sheep and Hibs will miss cup revenue now too! 

22 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

To be fair, this is a loss for the previous year so those initiatives may well improve the situation.  But for a club if their size that’s a big number and they will probably be looking to sell if they have any high value players.    We are in such a good place and in far better shape outside of the big 2.   The Sheep and Hibs will miss cup revenue now too! 

Both Aberdeen and Hibs all over the place off the pitch and on it at the moment. We are in a good place and with the bit between our teeth should pull away in 3rd and have it wrapped up again early doors. I want a cup win as well though. Feels like we have missed it the last few years by fine margins, would love to see this group of players win something. 

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I feel the sheep.may continually implode, and it's all their own fault. There is no realism about them, if a manager can't compete with the OF, then he's hounded.

McInnes was the best they had in years, not 'competing' with the OF, fire him and get someone who will. Which is freaking impossible unless some billionaire trying to throw away money rolls up.

I don't care who they get in as manager, he won't be competing with the OF so it will just be a continual cycle of hire and fire. Their crowd form their opinion around Rangers games in particular.

Gubbed by Rangers? Manager must go, start all over again. It's all good for Hearts. 

In hindsight, a poor decision to get rid of McInnes. Worth noting however, McInnes was also prone to being on the end of a cup upset. Same as a lot of decent managers. Unfortunately for Goodwin, it comes on the back of a 5-0 scudding so a hard one to defend. 

I could be in the minority but I thought some parts of Aberdeen's play against us was decent. Awful defending and wrong options when in the final 3rd but looked like they had some decent passages of play in the middle.  What must be depressing for them is we are winning games comfortably whilst not fully clicking. 😀

23 minutes ago, damo said:

In hindsight, a poor decision to get rid of McInnes. Worth noting however, McInnes was also prone to being on the end of a cup upset. Same as a lot of decent managers. Unfortunately for Goodwin, it comes on the back of a 5-0 scudding so a hard one to defend. 

I could be in the minority but I thought some parts of Aberdeen's play against us was decent. Awful defending and wrong options when in the final 3rd but looked like they had some decent passages of play in the middle.  What must be depressing for them is we are winning games comfortably whilst not fully clicking. 😀

I think hibs will beat them too, thought that even before last night. 

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, DxB Hearts said:

Stephen Robinson said last week that he is likely going to have to sell in this window, to keep the wolves from the door. Good news.

4 hours ago, DxB Hearts said:

Livi were the first club to pop into my head when you asked the question.

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

How have Johnson and Goodwin lasted until 11am on Tuesday?  Remarkable. 

Can’t afford to sack them / can’t afford to keep them?

Robbie survived Brora then Queen of the South back to back in the space of a few days on the back of some poor form going into these games.  Maybe Hibs and Aberdeen are looking at that and thinking they can still turn it around like Robbie did.  But both are on an appalling run of form and Aberdeen have just lost 5-0 then the biggest Scottish Cup shock in history. These stats for both teams usually result in a new manager. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I think hibs will beat them too, thought that even before last night. 

Probably more embarrassing than losing to Darvel

17 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I haven't watched the whole thing but they get at the biggest issue, which is that the designated player rule and the wage cap mean that you have starting XI teams with 5 figure annual salaries passing to 8 figure annual salaries. For the non-DPs (yes oohmatron and all that), MLS isn't a bad place to get a foothold but if you're any good you can't really advance in terms of salary. Meanwhile the teams use the DP to bring in washed up big names from European football to get headlines for obscene salaries. It's a recipe for disjointed, scattershot football. The quality is still inching up but still most MLS sides would find a stodgy St. Mirren side too tough to break down.

i didn't watch it all either but your analysis is correct.  The DP rule was brought in to attract guys like Raul and Beckham so that they'd draw in more fans to the games and they were very successful in doing that.  I doubt that's really necessary these days as the league is getting decent crowds at good admission prices.

What are we all thinking for Hibs vs Aberdeen ? A draw and a win for us against Livingston would be useful but ...................................................................... I think the chaos and malaise at Easter Road , plus the fact they are about to lose their two most influential players , mean I think a win for Aberdeen could see then tail spinning towards the play off over the next few weeks

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Can’t afford to sack them / can’t afford to keep them?

Robbie survived Brora then Queen of the South back to back in the space of a few days on the back of some poor form going into these games.  Maybe Hibs and Aberdeen are looking at that and thinking they can still turn it around like Robbie did.  But both are on an appalling run of form and Aberdeen have just lost 5-0 then the biggest Scottish Cup shock in history. These stats for both teams usually result in a new manager. 

Spot on, i think RN had far more credit in the bank than these two but similarly he had two years left on his deal that we might not have been willing to pay off.
No chance either these two will do as well as RN has done since. 

Jean Louis Valois
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, i think RN had far more credit in the bank than these two but similarly he had two years left on his deal that we might not have been willing to pay off.

We are also ran by sensible people, The same cant be said for the hobos or the sheep.

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

We are also ran by sensible people, The same cant be said for the hobos or the sheep.

Absolutely. 

Just now, Footballfirst said:

David Templeton started for Drumchapel, but was subbed just before half time.

really? 😆

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

thought he retired ?

He had, but signed for Drumchapel in the summer.  He also coaches Hamilton U16s.

David Templeton has joined Drumchapel United

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Raith Rovers v Motherwell 

Elgin away to Cove Rangers or Ayr.

great draw for those teams

i wish jj was my dad
On 23/01/2023 at 23:04, Bauld said:

I don't like the guy at all but I saw this and I have to say fair play to him for giving the respect due. 

He knows his jobs finished. But he's saying the right things.

I think he's a good lad tbh. The shit at Codheid FC goes far deeper than him. He's proven he could do a decent job with alloa and Cheaters Fc. This might have been too big/early for him. 

i wish jj was my dad
13 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was nothing to do with the length of his contractor cost of bulletins him.  Robbie had a LOT more credit in the bank and Brora was a blip. 

Even during our rough spell earlier in the season, it just took a sense of perspective to appreciate the challenges of playing such a tough set of fixtures with 10+ players missing. Including our preferred recognised central defenders. The folk that run the club know what they are doing fortunately. 

Салатные палочки

Ayr hammering Cove 5-0. Last three goals have been beauties. 

Sir Paul struggling to turn Cove's fortunes round. 

Not Scottish I know but just watched my first full English game this season, City v Arsenal. That's 90 minutes wasted, what a total bore. Knew I should have watched  Cove v Ayr

highlandjambo3

been thinking about the vermin result today and, initially I couldn’t give a flying monkeys about either of them or their result as anything is a win win with the loosing manager getting papped but……..a draw will see Cantwin ejected but, there is a slim change that rubber gub might also get ejected……that would be absolutely fantastic so, it’s a draw for me 👍

11 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

been thinking about the vermin result today and, initially I couldn’t give a flying monkeys about either of them or their result as anything is a win win with the loosing manager getting papped but……..a draw will see Cantwin ejected but, there is a slim change that rubber gub might also get ejected……that would be absolutely fantastic so, it’s a draw for me 👍

They are clearly sticking with Goodwin till the end of the season, even if he loses today. Even a fairly modest recovery probably gets them European football which is what their target would have been. They might change in the summer but I think he’s been told ‘Europe or bust’

I think they’ll win today anyway.

Edited by JimmyCant

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

They are clearly sticking with Goodwin till the end of the season, even if he loses today. Even a fairly modest recovery probably gets them European football which is what their target would have been. They might change in the summer but I think he’s been told ‘Europe or bust’

I think they’ll win today anyway.

Well the word from the shepherds hut at the beginning of the week was along the lines of “instant turnaround starting on Saturday”, a defeat today does not address that statement.  I suppose a draw would as it’s an away game……great to be on the outside looking in 😁

38 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Well the word from the shepherds hut at the beginning of the week was along the lines of “instant turnaround starting on Saturday”, a defeat today does not address that statement.  I suppose a draw would as it’s an away game……great to be on the outside looking in 😁

I think they wanted a bit of pride and determination back instantly. If he can’t Instill that then he’ll probably go sooner rather than later. I’ll probably break the habit of a lifetime and watch the game today. Car crash football. You can’t beat it.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think they wanted a bit of pride and determination back instantly. If he can’t Instill that then he’ll probably go sooner rather than later. I’ll probably break the habit of a lifetime and watch the game today. Car crash football. You can’t beat it.

Reading between the lines, I'd also say it suggests he still has the dressing room. I'm pretty sure that would have been one of the things their wee committee took into account.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

👍 I’ll be watching…..crowd watch will be interesting to hear what their attendance is (not that we’ll actually see it though)

i wish jj was my dad
9 minutes ago, martoon said:

0-1 Aberdeen.

Probably a terrible game with Aberdeen stealing it at the end.

A draw would be just the ticket. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I know it is the done thing in the social media age, but find it a little bit classless. Revel in your victory but no need for cheap shots at the expense of the opposition a week later. For all they were crap, Aberdeen were pretty magnanimous in defeat. And I'm sure afterwards in private were wishing Darvel all the best in the next round and for the rest of the season. 

32 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Not a Scottish game but Pressley Jnr is currently on BBC1 playing for Accy Stanley against Leeds. 

He has played well.

Getting plenty of mentions and being a nuisance.