*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, leipzig76 said:

A couple of posts from Bears den

If we ever needed a result the team I’d pick to play is Hearts

We we are a mess. This team is broken.
Hearts are favourites for this weekend.

So, they think mibbes aye,Mibbes naw.................... I think aye !

We won't beat celtic for them again unless they are beaten on Sunday and I assume that they get this notion :smuggy:

• Replies 64.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nostalgia does funny things to the mind tbh.

The 98 Hearts team was utter shite the season after, this Hearts team looks like having a 3rd, 4th, 3rd behind it.

Imo we are witnessing the best Hearts  side since the 80's.

No idea if the 98 Hearts side would batter this side, we never will.

They were  shite in a vastly stronger league.  

you made a very valid and accurate point about the quality of players the huns had then and now, yet for some reason don’t believe hearts and every other club haven’t suffered from same problem to varying degrees.  

You genuinely believe that Scottish football is as strong.  Good for you Baz.  I’ll have some of what your smoking 

JimmyCant
20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Imo we are witnessing the best Hearts  side since the 80's.

I’m going to assume you were in a coma during 2005/05

Bad Religion
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He started watching football in 2014. 

Bazzas right boot
54 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Even that team never managed such consistency, although that was a stand out, individual season. 

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Even that team never managed such consistency, although that was a stand out, individual season.

We need 4 wins + 1 draw, or 5 wins, to better that Season numerically

Then there's the Big Cup

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

you made a very valid and accurate point about the quality of players the huns had then and now, yet for some reason don’t believe hearts and every other club haven’t suffered from same problem to varying degrees.  

You genuinely believe that Scottish football is as strong.  Good for you Baz.  I’ll have some of what your smoking 

As per you jump to conclusions and get all excited, no grey area with you.

That is not what I've said at all.

I don't think our market for players has changed that much since 98, although there is more competition. 

I have no idea if the 98 would batter this team, it's a childish thought and cannot ever be determined,  it's a poor place to try and win this argument you've created.

The transfer market Rangers  and the OF are shopping in is of a massively reduced quality, celtic and rangers had elite players in their sides- some at peak age , they are a bit of that now.

I've gave big examples of that.

They are shopping in a vastly inferior market, ours is far less obvious if it is lower in quality.i can see arguments for both opinions,  if folk want to discuss that.

imo We are still shopping in the same market and although the competition is stronger,  we as a club are in a better position than 98 in terms of finance which directly impacts our ability to attract players.

Scottish football is down the toilet,  has been for 2/3 decades but imo our position to attract players or not hasn't changed too much ( vlad years apart).

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

We need 4 wins + 1 draw, or 5 wins, to better that Season numerically

Then there's the Big Cup

Yip, we aren't far-off it and that's on the back of 3rd and 4th place, if we manage 3rd or 4th again next season then this era of Hearts is better than 98, we were very inconsistent.

In fact it would be the best since the 60's, just need a trophy or 3 and better our recent narrow final defeats.

JimmyCant
22 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, we aren't far-off it and that's on the back of 3rd and 4th place, if we manage 3rd or 4th again next season then this era of Hearts is better than 98, we were very inconsistent.

In fact it would be the best since the 60's, just need a trophy or 3 and better our recent narrow final defeats.

Sorry but you can run as many seasons of 3rd and 4th together as you want and call it consistency. (I call it expectation but whatever) but the 98 team are legends to a man. They won the Scottish cup for the first time in decades, beating one of the best Rangers teams ever assembled in the process and going very close to winning the league until we lost just a wee bit of impetus towards the end.

Consistently achieving your expected position is just like it sounds. Pretty mundane without a trophy to go along with it

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

we finished 7 points behind a far stronger rangers team and a far stronger Celtic team.  Numbers and would have won the league in 1998 has Cameron not been injured.   Still I think we’d have had enough in 23/24

anyway.  All a pipe dream

Was Cameron out injured in 97/98?  I honestly can’t remember but he certainly played in the final.  He was injured most of 98/99 and was one of the main reasons we struggled so much (ironically once he returned our form improved so much that we would have won the league the season before with that end of season form). 

I always maintained that if Robbo had been a couple of years younger we would have won the league in 98.  Instead he was over the hill and loaned out to Dundee for a spell.  

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Sorry but you can run as many seasons of 3rd and 4th together as you want and call it consistency. (I call it expectation but whatever) but the 98 team are legends to a man. They won the Scottish cup for the first time in decades, beating one of the best Rangers teams ever assembled in the process and going very close to winning the league until we lost just a wee bit of impetus towards the end.

Consistently achieving your expected position is just like it sounds. Pretty mundane without a trophy to go along with it

Unsure of your point tbh.

98 were legends,  your argueing with your self on this one.

We've won 3 major trophies in about 60 seasons, not every trophyless seasons was  mundane , so disagree strongly on that point.

If we finish  top 4 for 3 consecutive seasons, its maybe the 2nd time since the 60's we'd have done that so no idea why any Hearts fan would trivialise such consistency-  very strange to me.

Tbh, I've no idea why we're comparing the 98 team to this team either, even more confused why the 98 team is being used to discredit and play down the current team, why?

Daveandal

It's really all depends on what we mean.

In terms of consistent league placing this is the best period for Hearts since the 50s. Therefore you could argue its the best Hearts team since the 50s.

However, I doubt when we are in our 90s having a dram we'll remember consistency.... we'll remember the teams that got so close to greatness 85/86.. and the ones that achieved it 97/98, 05/06 and 11/12. 

I'm loving Hearts right now. Its a Rollercoaster and the days or fighting for a draw at home to Hamilton might be around a corner but I have a wee feeling this team might... might... be one that is remembered. 

Lambert Simnel
9 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

In terms of consistent league placing this is the best period for Hearts since the 50s. Therefore you could argue its the best Hearts team since the 50s.

However, I doubt when we are in our 90s having a dram we'll remember consistency.... we'll remember the teams that got so close to greatness 85/86.. and the ones that achieved it 97/98, 05/06 and 11/12. 

I'm loving Hearts right now. Its a Rollercoaster and the days or fighting for a draw at home to Hamilton might be around a corner but I have a wee feeling this team might... might... be one that is remembered. 

Well said.

Skivingatwork

1-0 Aberdeen with Miovski to score is 55/1 

Worth a shout?

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

Yeah I agree with most of that but and you can maybe argue about the period but you can’t argue it has been the best Hearts “team”  since the 1950s on the basis that we have had 3 different teams over the past 3 seasons and none of them have been anywhere near as good as the teams we had in 85/86, 96/98 or 05/06.  We have also had other numerous runners up finishes during that period.   As a team the last 3 seasons I’d say we’ve been distinctly average but with consistent league finishes. 

16 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Neilson figured that out in the Championship game at Tynecastle a few years ago when he played Robbie Muirhead, yes, who now plays at Morton, right up against him and he got 2 goals.....in both cases with Tavernier posted missing somewhere upfield.

It's always surprised me how so few opposition managers have figured this out.

He's the biggest chancer I've seen in the Scottish game in many a year. Garbage defender who's got away with it because of the standard of this league. 

Highest goalscoring defender in Britain but how will he compare in the pantheon of Rangers captains. Right at the bottom in terms of tangible honours. His hangdog expression is priceless. Many of the Huns know he's a liability but overlook ot ordinarily when he's scoring against jobbers. How the mighty have fallen when that is the captain of Rangers. 

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

As per you jump to conclusions and get all excited, no grey area with you.

That is not what I've said at all.

I don't think our market for players has changed that much since 98, although there is more competition. 

I have no idea if the 98 would batter this team, it's a childish thought and cannot ever be determined,  it's a poor place to try and win this argument you've created.

The transfer market Rangers  and the OF are shopping in is of a massively reduced quality, celtic and rangers had elite players in their sides- some at peak age , they are a bit of that now.

I've gave big examples of that.

They are shopping in a vastly inferior market, ours is far less obvious if it is lower in quality.i can see arguments for both opinions,  if folk want to discuss that.

imo We are still shopping in the same market and although the competition is stronger,  we as a club are in a better position than 98 in terms of finance which directly impacts our ability to attract players.

Scottish football is down the toilet,  has been for 2/3 decades but imo our position to attract players or not hasn't changed too much ( vlad years apart).

Having a respectful debate and you start with the personal slurs again.  No one got excited, but this is your MO isn’t it, you’d start a fight in an empty room if anyone so much as has an alternative view then go down the weak deflection route.  

Anyway, If you think Frankie Kent could lace David Weirs boots, or think Forrest is comparable to Mcannn, or think Devlin is comparable to Cameron or salvatori or Fulton, or Mackay comparable to Flogel then I think you’d be in an extremely small minority.  It’s your opinion which you are entitled to but it’s out there.

of course there are exceptions to that, I gave those examples but in general terms no we aren’t shopping in the same market ( you seem to interpet the same clubs as the same market but that’s not the point I’m making, we no longer have access to the same level of talent inside of Scotland as the level has fallen across the board , and as before no we wouldn’t be able to attract players of the quality  Adam or Flogel or Salvatori, wage inflation makes that impossible.  This level of player with that level of experience would be on multiples of our top wage and in the championship at a minimum.  

Edited by kingantti1874

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Having a respectful debate and you start with the personal slurs again.  No one got excited, everyone I’m sure can read back,  but this is your MO isn’t it, you could start a fight in an empty room if anyone so much as has an alternative view then go down the deflection route.  

Anyway -If you think Frankie Kent could lace David Weirs boots, or think Forrest is comparable to Mcannn, or think Devlin is comparable to Cameron or salvatori or Fulton, or Mackay comparable to Flogel then I think you’d be in an extremely small minority.  

of course there are exceptions to that, I have those examples but in general terms we aren’t shopping in the same market, and we no longer have access to the same level of talent inside of Scotland even though we can still buy players from the same clubs, and as before no we wouldn’t be able to attract players of the quality  Adam or Flogel or salvatori, wage inflation makes that impossible.  This level of player would be on multiples of our top wage. 

You've selected a few to suit your argument, I won't counter as the debate is pointless. 

We will never know and it's a strange debate, not one I intended.

I don't think our market has shrunk that much compared to 98, it has changed.

Rangers and the OF has shrunk significantly imo,  shopping a few levels lower.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You've selected a few to suit your argument, I won't counter as the debate is pointless. 

We will never know and it's a strange debate, not one I intended.

I don't think our market has shrunk that much compared to 98, it has changed.

Rangers and the OF has shrunk significantly imo,  shopping a few levels lower.

I agree with you on that.   Can we leave it at that please. We can let others make their mind up. 

ps that’s what you do in a debate. Quote example to favour your arguement.  I’ve stated the exceptions I recognised. 

Edited by kingantti1874

leipzig76
6 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

We won't beat celtic for them again unless they are beaten on Sunday and I assume that they get this notion :smuggy:

I get it....and I like it !!!

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
9 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’ve never interacted with you so not sure why the aggression but now it my turn to correct your “drivel” and overly simple position.  

If a player of Neil McCann’s talent were available today, a guy of that talent he likely would never have been at Dundee for us to sign. He’d have been hoovered into an English academy system at a young age.  To buy a prime McCann would cost 8 figures + these days and he’d command wages commensurate with that number.

Colin Cameron - see above. Every bit as good as John McGinn is now at a far earlier stage in his career. 

David Weir.  We kept David weir for 4 years.  To but David Weir quality player now? What £30,0000,000 maybe? Unbelievable player.

Stephane Adam.  We were paying stef £10k per week when we signed him. What is £10k per week in today’s money ? 4/5 times that? 

if we did luckily manage to find / secure a real top player, we’d lose him immediately - see Aaron Hickey if you want an example 

of course we could still buy from the Scottish championship but that’s not the point!  (Though I’m not sure we could buy an Austrian international with 30* caps or a striker who regularly started in the French top division  )

It’s got nothing to do with “what” club we can attract players from.  The level of player in the championship and available to hearts isn’t what it was either, the standard has slipped across the board  - it’s not even remotely close.

There is NO way whatsoever any of the players I mentioned would be at Hearts if playing today.  That quality is miles out of our reach 

I agree standards have slipped. 

I was more taking issue with the claim that hearts couldn't sign players from today's Scottish championship. 

Granted you weren't saying that. 

It's all ifs and buts, those players were Scottish 1st div players at the time though but yeah in today's game they wouldn't have been, they'd be English championship or celtic/rangers players. 

Ricardo Quaresma

Come on TF with this 98 / 06 team would beat the current team nonsense

Those teams were as close to the finished article as it gets and this Team can top both their ppg

The current team is yet to be fully assembled too

So, spare us the Ali / Tyson type debates eh? :smuggy:

kingantti1874
11 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I was more taking issue with the claim that hearts couldn't sign players from today's Scottish championship. 

It's all ifs and buts, those players were Scottish 1st div players at the time though but yeah in today's game they wouldn't have been, they'd be English championship or celtic/rangers players. 

👍🏻

TexasAndy

I have slightly mixed emotions about the Celtic v Aberdeen semi.  A win for Celtic guarantees 3rd for Euro groups.  That of course would give us the scenario that we would have to beat both the uglies to win the cup.  Not impossible but hey ho.  An Aberdeen win tomorrow would dangle a really nice carrot as I think we would relish a Cup Final against the sheep.  That however comes with the danger of actually losing our auto group stage to the same team that screwed us last year.   Hearts v Aberdeen cup final?  Winner takes all?  Yes, bring it on.

luckydug
22 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’ve never interacted with you so not sure why the aggression but now it my turn to correct your “drivel” and overly simple position.  

If a player of Neil McCann’s talent were available today, a guy of that talent he likely would never have been at Dundee for us to sign. He’d have been hoovered into an English academy system at a young age.  To buy a prime McCann would cost 8 figures + these days and he’d command wages commensurate with that number.

Colin Cameron - see above. Every bit as good as John McGinn is now at a far earlier stage in his career. 

David Weir.  We kept David weir for 4 years.  To but David Weir quality player now? What £30,0000,000 maybe? Unbelievable player.

Stephane Adam.  We were paying stef £10k per week when we signed him. What is £10k per week in today’s money ? 4/5 times that? 

if we did luckily manage to find / secure a real top player, we’d lose him immediately - see Aaron Hickey if you want an example 

of course we could still buy from the Scottish championship but that’s not the point!  (Though I’m not sure we could buy an Austrian international with 30* caps or a striker who regularly started in the French top division  )

It’s got nothing to do with “what” club we can attract players from.  The level of player in the championship and available to hearts isn’t what it was either, the standard has slipped across the board  - it’s not even remotely close.

There is NO way whatsoever any of the players I mentioned would be at Hearts if playing today.  That quality is miles out of our reach 

10k per week in 1997 is worth 22.8k in todays money roughly 2.28 times as much.

We would be paying SA nearly 23k today.

gregzy2k7
19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Holy smokes!! Had no idea our record was that good in 2024, That's some record btw, if we kept that up for a whole year, we could challenge for the title imo.

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Disagree tbh, championship clubs and the OF could still buy these players in 98.

These players weren't out of their reach, we just got in there, a bit like Shankland and Souttar.

If rangers or  English championship clubs wanted the likes of  Weir or Mcann direct from the club's we got them from in 98 they would have got them. They could still easily out bid us and pay more wages back then.

We taken the punt on them, developed them and then they were sold on.

Not many players are going  direct from Raith, Dundee etc to 1st team players in the English Championship  or the OF.

There is no way in hell  rangers or celtic  are signing guys at or near their peak like Larrson,  Di canio, Laudrup, Gazza, the Dutch players, Close, even Sutton. These types are miles out of reach now for the OF.

We can still attract the best players domestically from other sides - Souttar,  Dhanda,  Shankland, Neilson, Forrest,  Halkett,  Spittal etc prove that imo.

Even got youngsters from England's top flight  in Beni, Cochrane.

Hibs and Aberdeen have done this a well.

We can and are still attracting players from the same market,  although competition is maybe a bit more intense and if they do develop and play well  keeping them is almost impossible.

That also hasn't changed much tbh Either, it's just that they are pissing of to a widee range clubs

Celtic/ rangers are pushed that much out of the elite market they can't/ won't even pay  for Scottish talent- Doig, Hickey, Miginn being recent examples.

Daveandal
3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Robbo looking magnificent on BBC Scotland. 

Very underrated pundit.

DesertDawg
10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Good finish by Vaughan. 

Inverness 0 - 1 Raith Rovers. 

Probably doesn't help Rovers much as they seem destined for the play-offs anyway but makes the Inverness position that more precarious in the relegation run in.

Rudden making out like he was scythed down. 

It would be great if DU slipped up dramatically.   Raith staying in the race is good.   

Edited by HMFC01

DesertDawg
5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Dabrowski great saves. Worth keeping an eye on. 

Problem is that he struggles to marshall his defence.  Same problem that he had at Easter Road.

Daveandal
35 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Problem is that he struggles to marshall his defence.  Same problem that he had at Easter Road.

I think he has developed as a keeper. Not there yet but its amazing what moving away from Hibs can do for you.

DesertDawg
35 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

I think he has developed as a keeper. Not there yet but its amazing what moving away from Hibs can do for you.

😄

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Dabrowski great saves. Worth keeping an eye on. 

I like Mitov at St Johnstone 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 18/04/2024 at 09:29, kingantti1874 said:

I wasn't a Hearts fan (or for that matter watching much football, as it was effectively impossible in the states at the time without a satellite dish) at the time so I'm really on the outside looking in on these things. But I always have trouble squaring these glowing memories of the 1990s teams with the records.

In 1996/97, Rangers played in the Champions League and scrapped together a measly 3 points in a group with Ajax (the eventual runners up), Auxerre, and Grasshopper. This was of course when folk held on to the quaint idea that the Champions League should actually be made of champions, which meant that those competing were no mugs but it was also a much more dilute competition than now when it's chock full of the top clubs from the big 5 leagues. The following season, having added names like Gattuso and of course their top spend, the impenetrable wall named Lorenzo Amoruso :lol:, they were papped out of the competition at the first asking by Strausbourg just like they were a Brendan Rodgers side.

That mighty 05/06 Hearts team nearly lost the final to Gretna and the following season in Europe were brushed aside by AEK and Sparta Prague.

Comparing that with how current Scottish football has fared, a couple seasons ago a St. Johnstone team that narrowly avoided relegation went to Galatasaray and eked out a draw. Rangers recently took the Europa League final to extra time. The Celtic side we beat in the Beattie game went on to beat one of the best European club sides ever assembled the next season and qualified out of a very difficult CL group.

I accept that we don't get quite the players we used to. I accept that Celtic and Rangers were operating at a level beyond what they are operating at now. I just don't think the gap is as big as it's made out to be. The biggest thing to me is that all of Scottish football operates in the media shadow of the wealthiest league ever to exist in football and it makes it look impoverished by comparison, and worse, their annoying sidekick league gets enough dribble-down wealth that they hoover up domestic players.

And yet the new European setup has the potential to give us a boost so we can stop having ****ing Blackpool fans think they can go shopping through our roster like we're a ****ing discount bin at Tesco. I don't think 97/98 levels are unreachable for us. With a bit of luck and some clever moves, I think we could start seeing more signings like those in a few years.

No way Killie are catching us in the league , so it would be a nice boost if we qualified for the group stages today , ahead of our cup semi 

pettigrewsstylist
48 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No way Killie are catching us in the league , so it would be a nice boost if we qualified for the group stages today , ahead of our cup semi 

Going forward its massivley important for allowing us to get busy on budgets and recruitment early.

indianajones
50 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Can't see anything other than a conviving Celtic win today. 

Surrey Jambo

Nice BBC article re Dundee Utd v Ayr - Scottish Championship: Dundee Utd on title brink, but why so little fanfare? - BBC Sport   

• Goodwin's side conceded just once in that time - and their tally of 22 goals against is bettered only by Falkirk in the SPFL
  • It puts them within sight of beating the best Championship mark in the past decade - 25 by Hibernian in 2016-17
  • United have scored 68 goals, a tally only bettered in recent times by Rangers in 2015-16 Apparently our goals against of 24 in season 202/21 and our goals for of 96 in season 2014/15 do not count?

Two goals and an assist for Jamie Walker (Bradford City) BUT, he's just got his second yellow card........

John Findlay

Spartans have won 0-1 at Bonnyrigg Rose. That guarantees them a play-off place in Div 2. Well done Spartans.

Jamboelite

Spartans secure the playoffs great result having been promoted last year.

ToadKiller Dog
5 hours ago, Surrey Jambo said:

Nice BBC article re Dundee Utd v Ayr - Scottish Championship: Dundee Utd on title brink, but why so little fanfare? - BBC Sport   

• Goodwin's side conceded just once in that time - and their tally of 22 goals against is bettered only by Falkirk in the SPFL
  • It puts them within sight of beating the best Championship mark in the past decade - 25 by Hibernian in 2016-17
  • United have scored 68 goals, a tally only bettered in recent times by Rangers in 2015-16 Apparently our goals against of 24 in season 202/21 and our goals for of 96 in season 2014/15 do not count?

Bbc having amnesia about the season we kept the uglies and hibs down 😆 

Arabs did have a rather over the top pitch invasion after the game today  .

46 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Two goals and an assist for Jamie Walker (Bradford City) BUT, he's just got his second yellow card........

Jamie making a sharp get away so he can get up the road and cheer the hearts on tomorrow 

I tell you what, if you'd asked me to predict the playoff dress rehearsal yesterday between Partick and Airdrie, there's no way I'd have predicted 4-0 Thistle. I can't wait to watch those two go at it over 2 legs. I think whoever wins that will get the better of Raith too. Although I just can't see any of them toppling the Premiership side this year.