Craig Gordon

neilnunb

There will be better, younger, more affordable keepers out there.

If DS and Colt are still here, I’d trust them to find one.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo 4 Ever

• DS98

• Batistuta87

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We dont know when we will be playing football.

Gordon wants to play to get into the Scotland squad for the Euros.

So its unlikely he would come to Hearts.

If we were, the risk would be injuries to come back, and even then he has played a lot of games last 4 seasons, not talent.

When playing, he has been very good for Celtic for the vast majority of the games.

ford donald
8 hours ago, OTT said:

Building a team takes time. 

Gordon is a very good goalkeeper at this level. Signing him as A.) he wants to return B.) his demands won't be ridiculous makes sense. 

What are we looking for in a goalkeeper? Solid shot stopper and can distribute well - thats Gordon. 

Our squad needs a lot of work, Gordon is an easy, cheap fix who the fans can get behind. I think its a no brainer, unless someone substantially better is available for the same or less?

We need LB, CB, CDM, CAM, LW & RW. Frankly, a cheap but solid goalkeeper means more money can be devoted elsewhere. 

Lets also not forget Harry Stone in all of this, he seems to have knocked back interest from bigger teams, so there is a need to push him toward first team football. Gordon's age plays well with this and offers Harry a wealth of experience to learn from in training. 

Gordon would be a sound signing. 

That's my thoughts,Gordon would be a great influence on young Harry Stone,we should snap him up.

5 hours ago, jamborich said:

Ffs seriously, people questioning whether we should sign Craig Gordon we wouldn't be in the shit we are in if we had him last season 

You’ll get ridiculed for that, far too sensible  post of the day JR

Folk saying no to Craig Gordon  🤣

If as looking likely we are in the championship then I’d say we should be bloody lucky and grateful if we got a player of his calibre 

we had lettuce leaf hands from Man Utd ffs

Edited by 1971fozzy

11 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

You’ll get ridiculed for that, far too sensible  post of the day JR

I don’t think he’ll get ridiculed. He’s right, we wouldn’t be in this position if we had Gordon. I’d reckon a lot of other keepers would have saved us as well though. Getting better than we have is quite a low ambition as far as keepers go. 

Folk need to get a grip their hatred for Celtic is clouding their judgement.

Considering the shite we have had to put up with the last few season, Craig would be a fantastic signing and he’s one of us.

Kicking isn’t great but his main job is to keep the ball out of the net which we haven’t had for a while.

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Don't really think multi-millionaire Craig Gordon's going to need the money.

Sources tell us.

He will once his wife takes her share...

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

Much better than any of our current goalies

This 100%  We would be playing PL football if he had been in goals this season.  Full stop

38 minutes ago, ford donald said:

That's my thoughts,Gordon would be a great influence on young Harry Stone,we should snap him up.

Ultimately that’s got to be the aim. In Craig we would have a top class goalie for a couple of seasons. Hearts man and motivated to get into the Euro squad. All the while helping develop young Stone for an eventual smooth transition.

5 minutes ago, goader said:

This 100%  We would be playing PL football if he had been in goals this season.  Full stop

Sorry, that’s true but it’s not full stop. There are lots of keepers that you could say the same thing about. Any of the other 11 keepers in last years premiership plus a lot of those clubs reserve keepers for a start. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Sorry, that’s true but it’s not full stop. There are lots of keepers that you could say the same thing about. Any of the other 11 keepers in last years premiership plus a lot of those clubs reserve keepers for a start. 

I think the problem being alluded to is that every keeper we had between the sticks last season cost us points. The problem goes back to the season before. It was ignored and that’s why we found ourselves in the position we were in.

Jambo 4 Ever
22 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Folk need to get a grip their hatred for Celtic is clouding their judgement.

Considering the shite we have had to put up with the last few season, Craig would be a fantastic signing and he’s one of us.

Kicking isn’t great but his main job is to keep the ball out of the net which we haven’t had for a while.

This 

A_A wehatethehibs

Gordon would be a Neil Alexander type signing IMO. Ideal experienced keeper to pass the baton on to the highly rated Harry Stone and retire a Hearts player. It makes sense to me.

John Robertson as manager, Gordon and Berra coming to the end of their careers possibly as player-assistant coaches. Experienced Jambos in the building to start the Hearts rebuild and look to the future, some younger guys in the squad to do the running.

For me that's the way to go for the start of the post-Levein era. 

If it's Stendel, Gordon will not happen, no chance IMO, he wants young guys in his team which is fair enough but can lead to wrong decisions such as persisting with Pereira.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Just now, Deevers said:

I think the problem being alluded to is that every keeper we had between the sticks last season cost us points. The problem goes back to the season before. It was ignored and that’s why we found ourselves in the position we were in.

I absolutely agree with that. If funds allow, a new keeper should be a priority. I’m not against Gordon. People saying he’d be a good influence on Stone I also agree with but we already have a goalkeeping coach, so sack him if Gordon came in? I’m fine with that.

The argument that we wouldn’t be in the position we are in if Gordon was in goals is no doubt true as well but I doubt we’d be in this position if we had any competent premiership level goalie last season. 

We should be looking to unearth the next Gordon, McLaughlin or Niemi. We should be scouting and signing younger ambitious players all over the park. 

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

He's a pal of Craig Levein and should never be allowed to darken our door.

:cornette: 

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, JamboNation said:

Would have him back in a heartbeat would be a massive improvement on what we have endured

This. would still do a job.

Restonbabe
34 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Dog has had its day

McLaughlan would be my preferred choice

Watch this space on this one I've been told 

BelgeJambo
1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

Watch this space on this one I've been told 

McLaughlan?

Ainsley Harriott
8 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Wait people dont want Gordon......

In comparison to the shit we have had recently he would be superb for us.

I like to think we have learnt our lesson signing over the hill injury prone players 

Restonbabe
7 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

McLaughlan?

Yeah. However Colin Doyle signed a years extention and Bobby is contracted until end of 21 season. 

Both have families and yound children so be gutting for any of them to lose their jobs for me personally. 

As a fan however they have both been proven to be not good enough when called upon so if they could be shifted to another club in the aera id be delighted to see Jon back. 

One for Naismith to ponder with. 

Mister Dee

CG was ready to sign in January -but Lennon prevented it. 

He’d certainly be wise to wait until our league/manager situation was verified, but I’m sure he’d come back if asked. 
Quality keeper, but certainly has injury issues. 
Hope he comes back, his experience would be great for the squad. 

BelgeJambo
1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

Yeah. However Colin Doyle signed a years extention and Bobby is contracted until end of 21 season. 

Both have families and yound children so be gutting for any of them to lose their jobs for me personally. 

As a fan however they have both been proven to be not good enough when called upon so if they could be shifted to another club in the aera id be delighted to see Jon back. 

Something else you want to share? 😃

Bunny Munro

Not sure if he's been mentioned here but DS brought Samuel Radlinger into Barnsley last year from Hannover. He's out of contract now. If Stendel stays he could be an option.

Spellczech

As long as he were not given a silly wage I cannot see any harm in re-signing him. Always said he'd like to finish his career at Hearts. Having taken the EPL and Celtic pound I doubt he needs the money...

Reading the papers my take on it is:

He's getting offered a new contract at Celtic as cover for a future 1st team goalie such as a Forster also AEK Athens goalie been quoted.  If he sign Celts new deal he will get a chance but will get loaned out to St Mirren soon as they get a better keeper.  

He seems keen on coming to Hearts but there's delays in committing due to us having no manager or we don't know what manager we are getting yet, they might not fancy Gordon, or Gordon might not fancy the manger.  Also the club's in the middle of a crisis with the future of what league we are going to be in.

I wouldn't torture your selves over it, it's not worth it.  We haven't even established what path the club's taking yet never mind what personnel we are going to sign.

If I had a choice of Zlamal or Gordon though I'd take Gordon.  I'd take McLachlan over Gordon however.  Then again I'd rather we take a whole new approach and get a fresh keeper of a high standard and go from there, rather than look backwards.

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Jamie McDonald anyone? :peepwall:

19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon takes our goal keeper position up 5 levels from the current keepers we have. 

I'd have them both over what we have now, easy, no doubts.

Ex member of the SaS

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't get away with jumping knee first into strikers on the edge of his box like he does playing for the Tic.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't get away with jumping knee first into strikers on the edge of his box like he does playing for the Tic.

True.  Or he could do what Bobby did, jump into your own centre-back

:facepalm:

Jambo 4 Ever

Anyone who doesn’t think Gordon would be a good signing needs their head examined!

probably the same folk who cream themselves over the pedigree of players we signed in the last few seasons 

18 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I'd have them both over what we have now, easy, no doubts.

100%. 

Batistuta87
4 hours ago, DS98 said:

Don’t know where you’re getting your info mate. You’re either getting fed nonsense from someone or you’re plain making stuff up. 

Bit weird 

Nothing I've said is untrue. Maybe exaggerated that he's not been near the bench because he has covered for Bain's injury, but Bain is their 2nd choice keeper and Gordon is 3rd. He had three recent injuries at Celtic - two in the 2nd half of the 17/18 season, then one towards the end of the 18/19 season - all three were a recurring knee injury and after his latest one they loaned Forster in for 19/20 then correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Gordon has played a single league game this season.  We tried to sign him in Jan because he asked to leave and they were willing to let him, but they wanted a fee and we were unwilling to pay one.

35 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Anyone who doesn’t think Gordon would be a good signing needs their head examined!

probably the same folk who cream themselves over the pedigree of players we signed in the last few seasons 

Can't argue with that when he is fit but how often is that now?

17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nothing I've said is untrue. Maybe exaggerated that he's not been near the bench because he has covered for Bain's injury, but Bain is their 2nd choice keeper and Gordon is 3rd. He had three recent injuries at Celtic - two in the 2nd half of the 17/18 season, then one towards the end of the 18/19 season - all three were a recurring knee injury and after his latest one they loaned Forster in for 19/20 then correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Gordon has played a single league game this season.  We tried to sign him in Jan because he asked to leave and they were willing to let him, but they wanted a fee and we were unwilling to pay one.

Ok here goes. 

Since Lennon rejoined Celtic Craig has been in front of Bain. He actually started pre season as number 1 but then Forster came in. Bain took the hump and basically chucked it. He never played any league games last season because Forster was in such good form. The guy was immense last year. 

You said Celtic tried to shift him in January. Quite the opposite. Craig was desperate to leave and was personally in contact with Hearts on just about a daily basis. Lawell and Lennon never even entertained the idea as they weren’t prepared to risk Forster getting injured and risk 9 in a row. Nothing about wanting too much money. 

On to injuries. Gordon has played over 200 games in 5 seasons. Not bad for someone ‘made of glass’ as you say. Every player gets training ground knocks. The last time he had a serious injury was a couple of years ago against Hibs. 

Chances are he will sign another year at Celtic to see them through the Champs League qualifiers. They won’t sign Forster before then as they won’t know how much £££ they’ll have. The only way Craig will end up at St Mirren is on loan and that’s if Hearts aren’t interested. 

TheGoodLord

Be an absolutely terrific signing no matter what league we were in. His presence alone would give our shaky defence a much needed confidence boost. I think people sometimes forget just how rank our keepers have been over the last couple of seasons. Maybe get Berra in there too!!!

6 hours ago, TheGoodLord said:

Be an absolutely terrific signing no matter what league we were in. His presence alone would give our shaky defence a much needed confidence boost. I think people sometimes forget just how rank our keepers have been over the last couple of seasons. Maybe get Berra in there too!!!

I can live with that. I think Berra would have made a huge difference and should have been kept under DS, even just for his presence alone in the squad. Humble pie eating for me, here. 

Edited by ri Alban

For me I’d take Jaimie McD in a minute. He was treated shabbily by CL. Always a favourite and clearly loved the club and the support.
Gordon -no. I’ve never seen the same respect from him for the Hearts support.

gorgie wave

It's a Gordon for me cool and calm, he would also bring on our young keeper's in the academy to a higher standard , can also organise a defence and give the whole team a confidence of assurance ,

great experience and knows what the club is all about, would hit the ground running signing 

Would also piss if St Midden now 

10 hours ago, TheGoodLord said:

All I can say is "Good Lord"! The level of revisionism by many on this site regarding Christophe Berra is really worrying.

DS binned him for footballing (or lack of) reasons of which we were well aware . Suddenly all is forgiven and he's good enough again? Let's look to the future  - IMO he's not part of it. Same could be said of CG.

Edited by JohnB

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

All I can say is "Good Lord"! The level of revisionism by many on this site regarding Christophe Berra is really worrying.

DS binned him for footballing (or lack of) reasons of which we were well aware . Suddenly all is forgiven and he's good enough again? Let's look to the future  - IMO he's not part of it. Same could be said of CG.

Get Berra and Gordon back and stop trying to play out from the back.

Howdy Doody Jambo
9 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Get Berra and Gordon back and stop trying to play out from the back.

Gordon Yes,

Christophe Naw he won't improve us now, he can launch it and heid it but no pace, can't handle a ball over the the top and has captained us on our downward form in the last 18 month's 

On 05/06/2020 at 09:27, Restonbabe said:

Would be very happy with Jon coming back. As long as he starts releasing the ball quickly! Did my head in how long he'd hold onto it, but that was maybe the manager's direction.

Doyle could go out on loan to a lower league club. One of the no voters.