Craig Gordon

neilnunb

jambocall51
On 05/06/2020 at 08:43, Lfhearts said:

Problem being we have three goalies and cannot possibly afford a fourth or can we.

I’m pretty sure Doyle was let go months ago. Or am I dreaming this?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo 4 Ever

• DS98

• Batistuta87

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, jambocall51 said:

I’m pretty sure Doyle was let go months ago. Or am I dreaming this?

His contract was extended by a year. I think one if his children has health issues and they extended his contract. More chance of bobby moving on

johnthomas
12 hours ago, Still Tynie said:

Gordon Yes,

Christophe Naw he won't improve us now, he can launch it and heid it but no pace, can't handle a ball over the the top and has captained us on our downward form in the last 18 month's 

Berra , like any player at our level , has his weaknesses . But we did lose his aerial ability . Even on a bad day most high balls , lots in Scottish football , were dealt with by him . 

Goalkeepers suffer when CHs are poor .

The reverse is also the case .

Our biggest problem was Pereira

12 hours ago, kila said:

Would be very happy with Jon coming back. As long as he starts releasing the ball quickly! Did my head in how long he'd hold onto it, but that was maybe the manager's direction.

Doyle could go out on loan to a lower league club. One of the no voters.

Jon McLaughlin won't be back at Hearts, he'll either extend at Sunderland or go to Blackburn (or wherever else he is getting offered more money). 

He'd be 1st name on the team sheet for sure. But also a risky Berraesque older player wanting a decent wage with impending age/form issues.

Tricky one. We defo need a new GK

If Craig really wanted to end his career at Hearts like a PHM, he wouldn't be entertaining the idea of going from Celtic to their scummy we pals St Midden, he'd be banging on our door. 

His Hearts credentials are all but gone now if he signs for them. He should be roundly boo'd everytime he touches the ball. 

I can kinda understand why he went to Celtic after the comeback from injury but St Mirren. Really? Any true Hearts supporter would never finish their career with that scum. Surely not Craig. 

because we don't know what league we're playing in never mind the fact we have no money at the present time and Ann Budge has already said she won't be talking to any player about incoming transfers till this is all sorted

Jambo 4 Ever

Agree 100%

anyone in their right mind would see that he would be a great signing.

yet there will be some on here who think we can do better or he isn’t good enough 

the same people who got excited Over the pedigree of various players we have signed over the last few seasons

There are reasons that we can’t sign players right now.  I wonder though if we have even been in contact with him to sound him out given that at this time we don’t have a manager or a Director of Football.

There has been contact but it’s with Craig and Budge herself. Make no mistake Hearts are his first choice but if we are unable or unwilling to offer anything right now then he’d be daft not to listen to other offers. 

Gordon Ramsay

I think we've had enough keepers in recent times who can't deal with crosses into the box. Don't need another. 

7 hours ago, Phage said:

He'd be 1st name on the team sheet for sure. But also a risky Berraesque older player wanting a decent wage with impending age/form issues.

Tricky one. We defo need a new GK

He wont be getting a decent wage at St Mirren.Agree risky with age and injuries though.

What you on about the clubs survival is only thing that is important, signing anyone cannot happen as we do not know what division we are in, get a ******* grip.

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I think we've had enough keepers in recent times who can't deal with crosses into the box. Don't need another. 

It’s basic errors that our keepers keep making that are the problem, not crosses. 

Fumbling tame shots, poor decision making, paining shots out to the middle of the box etc 

For me, it sounds be a good starting point for building a decent team for next season. 

8 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

What you on about the clubs survival is only thing that is important, signing anyone cannot happen as we do not know what division we are in, get a ******* grip.

The clubs survival? Have I missed something? 

Gordon Ramsay
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s basic errors that our keepers keep making that are the problem, not crosses. 

Fumbling tame shots, poor decision making, paining shots out to the middle of the box etc 

For me, it sounds be a good starting point for building a decent team for next season. 

I suppose that's true, NB. Basic shot stopping has been horrendous recently. 

Don't get me wrong on CG. As someone who was crap outfield I idolised him growing up and thought my goalkeeping skills were Craig Gordenesque when it came to reflexes. 

Was never a fan of him at cross balls though. Always thought it was a weak point. Far too static. 

Would rather we went with Harry Stone. He has the potential to be the next the next Craig Gordon (peak) imo. Wouldn't be messing around with an older injury prone keeper who wants high wages. 

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would rather we went with Harry Stone. He has the potential to be the next the next Craig Gordon (peak) imo. Wouldn't be messing around with an older injury prone keeper who wants high wages. 

I think Jamie Macdonald would be an astute signing. Less money than Gordon, and would be a good mentor for Stone until he's deemed ready. Wouldn't want to just chuck a young laddie straight in when there's nothing behind him as backup. 

First of all maybe Stendel doesn't want Gordon? Maybe Stendel has something else lined up? As much as I respect Craig, he hasn't been at his best for a long time, and if St Mirren are the only side interested, maybe its a sign of the times that he's past it.

Also, financially. He's not going to come cheap. I'd expect whatever St Mirren offer, we could match easily, but if the OP hasn't noticed, at present we're a Championship club who's been shafted by the SPFL to lose out on Premiership money. So until that changes, we probably can't even afford it. 

Regular John

If we're still playing the Gegenpressing with the goalie as a sweeper style, then Gordon is the absolute last keeper you would look to deploy.

Clerry Jambo
1 minute ago, Regular John said:

If we're still playing the Gegenpressing with the goalie as a sweeper style, then Gordon is the absolute last keeper you would look to deploy.

I know what you mean but personally prefer a goalie that just keeps the baw oot the net 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 minute ago, Regular John said:

Well if Stendel returns and wants to adopt this gegenpress style he will have to sign a whole new team based on what he served up this season past 

The thing is with Gordon is that he is an experienced international keeper, cool, calm and can organise a defence which will have confidence in him and can catch a ball and will guarantee you points 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Locky said:

First of all maybe Stendel doesn't want Gordon? Maybe Stendel has something else lined up? As much as I respect Craig, he hasn't been at his best for a long time, and if St Mirren are the only side interested, maybe its a sign of the times that he's past it.

Also, financially. He's not going to come cheap. I'd expect whatever St Mirren offer, we could match easily, but if the OP hasn't noticed, at present we're a Championship club who's been shafted by the SPFL to lose out on Premiership money. So until that changes, we probably can't even afford it. 

Agree with this. Been saying since January that Gordon would be a poor, slightly lazy signing, and is enough of a risk with age/injuries to put me off. I would reluctantly accept him on a 1yr deal in the Championship, but nothing more because I think there's a lot more value for money out there, like Mark Gillespie (Motherwell), Daniel Bachmann (Watford), Cammy Dawson (Sheff Wed), Declan Rudd (PNE). Looking to the continent there's Yoann Cardinale who has been released by Nice, Benjamin Uphoff released by a German team I canny spell, Davy Roef released by Club Brugge... Had my eye on these guys since Jan when they drop into the "contracts expiring" category and none of them are first choice, all of them likely to fall into our sort of wage budget... Probably loads more I haven't picked up on. Would also say its probably almost time for Stone to be moved up, possibly sitting on the bench for the first team and maybe getting a game at some point this coming season. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Ex member of the SaS

Sorry but any suggestion of a player refusing to go to a certain club is delusional. They may well reject certain clubs when they have other ( better ) offers but it all comes down to cash. If Midden are willing to pay what he asks and we do not make an offer then he will go to them PHM or not.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I know what you mean but personally prefer a goalie that just keeps the baw oot the net 

This 

TyphoonJambo
Just now, EIEIO said:

Is the goalie who left St Mirren still available? Looked better than what we have.

Thought a few English teams were interested, looked decent. 

ford donald
1 hour ago, Still Tynie said:

Well if Stendel returns and wants to adopt this gegenpress style he will have to sign a whole new team based on what he served up this season past 

The thing is with Gordon is that he is an experienced international keeper, cool, calm and can organise a defence which will have confidence in him and can catch a ball and will guarantee you points 

He is still a class keeper,lots to offer us.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 minute ago, ford donald said:

He is still a class keeper,lots to offer us.

Exactly he could also coach our young academy keeper's, imagine the lift he would give Harry Stone and the knowledge he can pass on, a safe pair of hands 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

How much time do you think our current support would give a teenage goalkeeper? 

alwaysthereinspirit
20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

How much time do you think our current support would give a teenage goalkeeper? 

Would depend on what league we're in.

If we're beating the likes of Cowdenbeath 10 - 2 and he makes an error. Probably no biggie.

Tight game away to #ibs and he makes an error. We all know what happens.

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Craig Gordon's Debut, V Falkirk where we got pumped wasn't pretty 

Sure his debut was against Livi.  His second game was the 4-0 defeat at Brockville.

13 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Sure his debut was against Livi.  His second game was the 4-0 defeat at Brockville.

Stand corrected. 

I was there and I thought what shite have brought through here 😂 he had an absolute mare that day.  

Jack Hamilton I suppose is the example here. Don't think he ever had the ability to make it but if stone does then be should be given the chance. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Stand corrected. 

I was there and I thought what shite have brought through here 😂 he had an absolute mare that day.  

Jack Hamilton I suppose is the example here. Don't think he ever had the ability to make it but if stone does then be should be given the chance. 

Yeah me too.  About three down within twenty mins, shots going right through him.  How I got that one wrong 😁

Fair point about Stone and Hamilton.  The problem being of Stones not getting a shot behind Doyle or Bobby he might start to wonder why not.   Chances of Bobby starting the season then being dropped for Harry in the same way Teppi/Gordon all they years ago? 

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Certainly has the ability, I have heard concerns over his temperament, not in billy big baws or red mist kind of way but more surrounding his ability to handle difficult situations, it's not as if Tynie is the most forgiving of places to ply your trade!

15 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Certainly has the ability, I have heard concerns over his temperament, not in billy big baws or red mist kind of way but more surrounding his ability to handle difficult situations, it's not as if Tynie is the most forgiving of places to ply your trade!

pretty sure that's what was said of Jack Hamilton, had the ability to be a top class keeper but his temperament and decision making once under pressure due to a mistake or whatever, were always under question. and we saw what happened there.

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

pretty sure that's what was said of Jack Hamilton, had the ability to be a top class keeper but his temperament and decision making once under pressure due to a mistake or whatever, were always under question. and we saw what happened there.

Don't think it's even decision making with Stone, seemingly had a very comfortable life so far and there are real doubts about how he deals with adversity, whether that be shouts from the stands or a tearing down from a senior player etc (might be utter nonsense but just what I've heard about the lad, I really do hope he fulfils his potential and goes on to be a great keeper for us) 

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Don't think it's even decision making with Stone, seemingly had a very comfortable life so far and there are real doubts about how he deals with adversity, whether that be shouts from the stands or a tearing down from a senior player etc (might be utter nonsense but just what I've heard about the lad, I really do hope he fulfils his potential and goes on to be a great keeper for us) 

cheers for that, suppose we'll have to wait and see, may be that as soon as he gets his 1st taste of senior football it all falls in to place for the lad.

SomethingAboutObua

Depends on what league we're in. I'd take him in the Championship and keep him on as keeper coach.

Pereira was horrific and far and away our worst first team keeper since...Balogh maybe? Probably harsh on Balogh there. Moilanen?

But Pereira has made me appreciate how much having a keeper that can pass/cross can benefit the attacking side of things. If we're in the Prem, I would much rather we signed a young to mid 20's keeper who can save and pass. Plenty Celtic fans complain that Gordon still can't play with the ball at his feet, better than what we have but lets look for someone that can move us forward.