Scotland.

Whatever

Scotland is full of narrow minded, pig ignorant tribal bigoted assholes and football is a microcosm of thecountry as a whole.

Heartsmad1874

Me personally i love Scotland and even more so now after time away in Australia, there are some shite parts about it but overall its my country and i love it.

What have I missed?

I see a lot of folk saying this stuff on here, what's happening? 

I don't watch the news or that. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

What have I missed?

I see a lot of folk saying this stuff on here, what's happening? 

I don't watch the news or that. 

I think it's a wind up regarding a vile bigoted attack on Scotland by some little Englander who posted on the Terrace.

Is there another country’s people that attaches itself to some part of its history so fervently and continues to hold it against each other for decades and decades?

Whether it’s the Highlands history, lowlands, religious bigotry, West v East, North v South etc.....for a small country we can seem so divided and it can play out in every day life.

But there’s a flip side.We’re so two faced. We are equally funny, friendly, welcoming and have a rich history for a small country. One minute we’re arguing, next cuddling and getting a pint in.  We seem to love the negatives of it though. Bizarre?

Football seems to be harnessing the worst of our psyche just now and has for some time, tbh.

jambo-fletch

There’s narrow minded, pig ignorant bigoted arseholes all over the globe. There is a lot worse places to live in the world than Scotland

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Is there another country’s people that attaches itself to some part of its history so fervently and continues to hold it against each other for decades and decades?

Whether it’s the Highlands history, lowlands, religious bigotry, West v East, North v South etc.....for a small country we can seem so divided and it can play out in every day life.

But there’s a flip side.We’re so two faced. We are equally funny, friendly, welcoming and have a rich history for a small country. One minute we’re arguing, next cuddling and getting a pint in.  We seem to love the negatives of it though. Bizarre?

Football seems to be harnessing the worst of our psyche just now and has for some time, tbh.

Brilliant summing up there, sir.  For a small country with stunning landscapes, it's so sad that some folk (sometimes it seems like quite a lot actually) just can't see past their hatred,  bigotry and prejudices.  

Bigotry and politics my main gripe.Social media not helping.

The Shed would benefit if Kickback got a politics page.That way i would never have to see any political headline on Kickback again.

I am physically repulsed by Glasgow and the surrounding areas.  In general I hate the people there, the attitudes, the 'banter', the vibe and oh by **** I absolutely despise the West coast accent.

Apart from that I ****ing love the country. 

The Internet
10 hours ago, Whatever said:

Glasgow is full of narrow minded, pig ignorant tribal bigoted assholes and football is a microcosm of the city as a whole.

A Boy Named Crow
10 hours ago, Whatever said:

Scotland is full of narrow minded, pig ignorant tribal bigoted assholes and football is a microcosm of thecountry as a whole.

There must be an internet term for occasions when someone ends up sounding  exactly like the negative quality they try to describe in another person / group of people.

If not, we should invent one!

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

There must be an internet term for occasions when someone ends up sounding  exactly like the negative quality they try to describe in another person / group of people.

If not, we should invent one!

Internet term you say.......🧐

XXXXXXX?  (admin edit)

:lol: 

6 hours ago, benny said:

The Shed would benefit if Kickback got a politics page.That way i would never have to see any political headline on Kickback again.

It's not the threads with political headlines which are the problem, you can avoid those. It's threads on other subjects which turn political which are the bigger annoyance.

10 hours ago, luckydug said:

I think it's a wind up regarding a vile bigoted attack on Scotland by some little Englander who posted on the Terrace.

:thumbsup:

As an incomer I can only say I love it here. I’ve lived here since I was 17, nearly 40 years. 
I hate the sectarianism in football but haven’t really come across it at work or in general 

Glasgow is great for gigs and pubs/restaurants 

The highlands are incredible 

The people, in general are friendly and funny

Are there arseholes in Scotland? Of course there are but there are arseholes everywhere 

7 hours ago, benny said:

Suggested that a while ago and got slaughtered for it, far too many prefer turning every other thread into in independence/unionist/up the tories debate

6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Are there arseholes in Scotland? Of course there are but there are arseholes everywhere 

My Dad said to when I moved to England the first time, "don't bother taking your own arsehole, there will be plenty when you get down there" on balance, I think the Scotland/England arsehole ratio is remarkably similar.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

My Dad said to when I moved to England the first time, "don't bother taking your own arsehole, there will be plenty when you get down there" on balance, I think the Scotland/England arsehole ratio is remarkably similar.

Canada is the only place I’ve been where I’ve actively thought

”Where are all the arseholes”? Everyone just seems nice and decent

Ive not been to Quebec. I believe they might be there

Unknown user

As a returnee, Scotland's great.

I mean yeah, there's a lot of negativity, and its noticeable how often sentences start with "I hate...", but there's also a lot of fun and laughter. I think we just don't really have middle ground in our dna, everything's all or nothing, but that's true of the whole island I reckon.

But the scots are great - humpty, serious, but with explosions of great joy, and our country's just heartbreakingly gorgeous. Scotland's fine by me!

The Scottish Highlands have scenery to match any on the planet, I always find it surprising how many people don't appreciate what they have on their doorstep.

Try being where I'm from originally in Lambeth, South London and you'll realise how good you have it. I couldn't believe how stunning it was when I first moved here and Scottish water is possibly the best quality anywhere I've been in the world. Apart from some of the anti English comments In pubs I've had to put up with from a few idiots(they normally tend to support a certain club in Glasgow or a certain club in lochend) and stuff you see on social media I can honestly say quality of life has improved ten fold In the six years I've lived here. Ive made a better life for myself, have a fiancee and daughter here and thrived  work wise and id say that's a lot down to the Scottish mentality of always giving people a chance no matter where they come from  . If we had the weather here there'd be no need to go anywhere else for a holiday. The small town mentality I'd say is better than small town England, you get your "village idiots" wherever you go but on the whole id say Scots are more curious in a nice way whereas small towns in England I've worked they tend to be a lot more unwelcoming if your face doesn't fit. Lastly as a chef the ingredients I get to work with here absolutely trump anywhere else I've worked. The natural larder Scotland should be the envy of most other countries in the world. 

12 hours ago, luckydug said:

Correct. Pathetic post designed to look for a reaction, I.e. trolling. Didn't want to give him the satisfaction of replying to his drivel

3 hours ago, Cade said:

The Weeg and Fife are the scummy bits.  

The rest is not bad.

Shh. You're not allowed to slag Glasgow on here.

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, Cade said:

The Weeg and Fife are the scummy bits.  

The rest is not bad.

And there are some really nice bits of Fife!   :whistling:

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

And there are some really nice bits of Fife!   :whistling:

There are, arount the east neuk of fife is beautiful. 

Auld Reekin'
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Yup, East Neuk & Fife Coastal Path, Tentsmuir Forest / Kinshaldy Beach, St. Andrews, Lomond Hills - in fact most of northern & NE Fife is pretty nice. The South and West, (much) less so; Culross definitely worth a visit though.

7 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yup, East Neuk & Fife Coastal Path, Tentsmuir Forest / Kinshaldy Beach, St. Andrews, Lomond Hills - in fact most of northern & NE Fife is pretty nice. The South and West, (much) less so; Culross definitely worth a visit though.

Methil, you forgot Methil👍

Auld Reekin'
21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Methil, you forgot Methil👍

Well, I tried to...   :ermm:

Fitzroy Pointon
1 hour ago, AW1 said:

Try being where I'm from originally in Lambeth, South London and you'll realise how good you have it. I couldn't believe how stunning it was when I first moved here and Scottish water is possibly the best quality anywhere I've been in the world. Apart from some of the anti English comments In pubs I've had to put up with from a few idiots(they normally tend to support a certain club in Glasgow or a certain club in lochend) and stuff you see on social media I can honestly say quality of life has improved ten fold In the six years I've lived here. Ive made a better life for myself, have a fiancee and daughter here and thrived  work wise and id say that's a lot down to the Scottish mentality of always giving people a chance no matter where they come from  . If we had the weather here there'd be no need to go anywhere else for a holiday. The small town mentality I'd say is better than small town England, you get your "village idiots" wherever you go but on the whole id say Scots are more curious in a nice way whereas small towns in England I've worked they tend to be a lot more unwelcoming if your face doesn't fit. Lastly as a chef the ingredients I get to work with here absolutely trump anywhere else I've worked. The natural larder Scotland should be the envy of most other countries in the world. 

Good post.  

Unknown user
51 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Indeed, my stepdad's family comes out of anstruther, gorgeous, although you don't dare say the name wrong around them. In fact you can't even compliment another chippy around them.

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Canada is the only place I’ve been where I’ve actively thought

”Where are all the arseholes”? Everyone just seems nice and decent

Ive not been to Quebec. I believe they might be there

Quebeckers are OK too.

Canadian politics are usually very bland, so people here tend not to get bent out of shape about them. And religion is a non-issue as there are numerous religious groups living and working in close proximity. Remove religion and politics from the conversation, and what is there to squabble about?

As for Scotland, it's a great country in many ways and football fans are not a reflection of the nation as a whole. You certainly have more than your fair share of assholes there.  

Brighton Jambo

I love Scotland, I’m English and have lived here 35 years and have no plans to ever leave.

Some parts of Scotland are to my mind the most beautiful in the world. I’ve travelled all over the world but every year without fail I will take a week up north as it’s just incredible with so much to do.  

The vast vast majority of people are amazing, friendly, funny, helpful and properly great sense of humour.  As an Englishman I have always been made to feel so welcome.  

yes sectarianism is the one down side but I’ve lived in Glasgow for nearly 20 years including working in the ship yards for 12 and it is surprisingly easy to avoid if people know you aren’t interested and don’t want to hear that chat.  If you are looking for it however you can indulge to the worst of your impulses.  

Maple Leaf
17 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I love Scotland, I’m English and have lived here 35 years and have no plans to ever leave.

Some parts of Scotland are to my mind the most beautiful in the world. I’ve travelled all over the world but every year without fail I will take a week up north as it’s just incredible with so much to do.  

The vast vast majority of people are amazing, friendly, funny, helpful and properly great sense of humour.  As an Englishman I have always been made to feel so welcome.  

yes sectarianism is the one down side but I’ve lived in Glasgow for nearly 20 years including working in the ship yards for 12 and it is surprisingly easy to avoid if people know you aren’t interested and don’t want to hear that chat.  If you are looking for it however you can indulge to the worst of your impulses.  

But is it a problem outside of football?

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In my view not as much as some people make out it to be.  As I said you can go through life and mostly avoid a lot of that conversation.   Certain examples catch you by surprise, for example my in-laws are generally the nicest people you could wish to meet but when we were chatting amiably about baby names a few years ago they casually dismissed a few as being catholic names, that was eye opening as I never than them down as sectarian.  

Also the marches are an issue.  On the days they happen it’s a reminder that things are a bit different and you see some ‘characters’ out and about.

the other difference is the interest that people take in what school you went to.  At first I didn’t understand the background but just thought it was weird then someone pointed out they were trying to ascertain the religion of the people.  I never experienced that growing up in East Lothian.  

Lone Striker
9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In a fairly small way, probably yes - but the phrase "90 minute bigots" probably sums up most of them.     

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Spent many summers in Morden, Surrey. My Grandfather worked in Clapham and we would play golf at the RAC Country Club, Woodcote Park in the Epsom Downs. 

Loved it.

Morden Hall Park is a lovely spot 

I'm from Streatham Hill/Brixton Hill area originally which is next to Clapham. 

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Quebeckers are OK too.

Canadian politics are usually very bland, so people here tend not to get bent out of shape about them. And religion is a non-issue as there are numerous religious groups living and working in close proximity. Remove religion and politics from the conversation, and what is there to squabble about?

As for Scotland, it's a great country in many ways and football fans are not a reflection of the nation as a whole. You certainly have more than your fair share of assholes there.  

Canada is the only country where I have seen a people carrier with a gun mount in the sliding door cruising with a biker gang.

Quebec is lovely though.

Edited by jb102

7 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Canada is the only country where I have seen a people carrier with a gun mount in the sliding door......

Sounds like my kind of place!!!

You know what really pisses me off here (granted it's the same down South I think) is how mental everyone goes when the sun is out. Why? I get that we live in a country that isn't exactly blessed with long, hot summers. But why is it that when the sun is out and temperatures hit 20, every wee ****ing ned and their dugs hit the beauty spots and the streets are filled with the noise of wankers in their cars blaring their ****ing shite music?

Probably one more for the seethe thread tbh.

Harry Potter
20 hours ago, jambo-fletch said:

There’s narrow minded, pig ignorant bigoted arseholes all over the globe. There is a lot worse places to live in the world than Scotland

Correct.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

You know what really pisses me off here (granted it's the same down South I think) is how mental everyone goes when the sun is out. Why? I get that we live in a country that isn't exactly blessed with long, hot summers. But why is it that when the sun is out and temperatures hit 20, every wee ****ing ned and their dugs hit the beauty spots and the streets are filled with the noise of wankers in their cars blaring their ****ing shite music?

Probably one more for the seethe thread tbh.

I totally agree, Locks.

Except, you forgot to mention that said neds are ‘pissed up’ on cheap lager or something even worse, as well.

Scumbags.

Scotland makes me happy

Scotland makes me sad

But when we stick together 

We're the best that God has had. 

Pans Jambo
On 31/05/2020 at 23:12, Debut 4 said:

Aye England. 
Hate Germany

Hate France

Hate Scotland

Hate the North

Hate the Geordies

Hate the Scousers

Hate Londoners

Hate each other. 

Still bang on about 1966. 
Canny even make a decent black pudding. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

On 31/05/2020 at 17:01, Whatever said:

No. The central belt is full of them. You go outside that, North or South and you'll meet an entirely different type of person. Apart from Ayrshire.

9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Aye England. 
Hate Germany

Hate France

Hate Scotland

Hate the North

Hate the Geordies

Hate the Scousers

Hate Londoners

Hate each other. 

Still bang on about 1966. 
Canny even make a decent black pudding.