Levein and MacPhee left on May 31st ( updated )

mitch41

7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Of course he was.  
There’s also no doubt who has made an utter mess of HMFC and damaged the club to the tune of millions - and it’s not Mikey Stewart. 

Successful as a player, successful at Cowdenbeath and in his first spell with us, failed at Leicester City though it was at a time where they were cutting back but still not successful, successful at Dundee United, failed with Scotland, initially in his new role with us he was successful but after his appointment of Cathro it has been downhill ever since with the odd flash to keep fans thinking there was still some hope but ultimately he failed in the last 3 seasons and he had to go especially given the resources relative to Scottish football he had.

Edited by CJGJ

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Successful as a player, successful at Cowdenbeath and in his first spell with us, failed at Leicester City though it was at a time where they were cutting back but still not successful, successful at Dundee United, failed with Scotland, initially in his new role with us he was successful but after his appointment of Cathro it has been downhill ever since with the odd flash to keep fans thinking there was still some hope but ultimately he failed in the last 3 seasons and he had to go especially given the resources relative to Scottish football he had.

He had a good playing career, it wasn’t successful.  He’s failed more than he’s been a success in football management and also the five years of director of football has been mainly failure leading to the utter shambles it is now.  A great season and a half under Robbie (his only plus mark as director of football) completely ruined by the shambolic appointment and then defence of Cathro, not appointing any manager willing to work under him after leading to him coming back as manager and being utterly shambolic. 

8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

You asked what he’s done.  He’s won more in his career than Levein.   I couldn’t care about Chic Young or Commons either, your trying to belittle Stewart being a success pundit on Scottish media in tv, radio, paper and co-commentary.

I didn't ask what your hero has done.  Quite frankly I couldn't give a hoot about him or what he's done.  I think I was pointing out what he FAILED to do.  You should care about Young, Commons etc because that appears to be standard against which he will be judged as a pundit.  I've put my replies in blue for you!

“anyone with a bob or two” I would suggest the hit rate with footballers making more money after football is very low, especially in Scottish football.  Craig Levein should have a few quid though too, ripping us and the national team for cash after failing.  Leicester too. 

Rightly or wrongly footballers as a group are not regarded as being that bright generally let alone with finance so you may be right with your hit rate.  And that takes us where?  You seem to have an intimate knowledge of Stewart's financial situation so I am sure you can elicit the same data re CL.  I don't know but if you get stuck. ask him.  I've put this in lighter blue for you.

Who mentioned his opinion is more valid?  You only.  While trying to belittle his opinion of your hero, your hero who has ultimately failed in football management. 

Your hero has no chance of failing in management because no one has ever come for him.  Why, if he's all that good?

What’s failing to become a MP got to do with a former hearts captain giving his opinion on football and hearts? 

MS has nothing to do with becoming a MP because he couldn't even get the nomination.  Nothing to do with football either but just another example of failure.
Once again you’re tying yourself in naughts. 

Do you mean KNOTS?

4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He had a good playing career, it wasn’t successful.  He’s failed more than he’s been a success in football management and also the five years of director of football has been mainly failure leading to the utter shambles it is now.  A great season and a half under Robbie (his only plus mark as director of football) completely ruined by the shambolic appointment and then defence of Cathro, not appointing any manager willing to work under him after leading to him coming back as manager and being utterly shambolic. 

Given his injuries I would say a lot  more than a good career and but for them he would have been a star in England and for Scotland....winning trophies etc is great but not all players win trophies yet can still be very good players

I think you are letting your bias cloud your judgement of him as a player..the best defender I have seen in a Hearts strip for decades and none since have been close.

Just seems to me you are a prime example of a poster who just won't see past your anger to accept there are parts of his football career where he was top class.

Like always though each to their own and there can be little doubt his last couple of years were just not good enough

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Given his injuries I would say a lot  more than a good career and but for them he would have been a star in England and for Scotland....winning trophies etc is great but not all players win trophies yet can still be very good players

I think you are letting your bias cloud your judgement of him as a player..the best defender I have seen in a Hearts strip for decades and none since have been close.

Just seems to me you are a prime example of a poster who just won't see past your anger to accept there are parts of his football career where he was top class.

Like always though each to their own and there can be little doubt his last couple of years were just not good enough

He probably would have and injuries definitely done him.  He is also the joint best defender (I preferred McLaren) I’ve seen at Hearts.  It wasn’t successful though.  
Not at all,  I could say I think you’re the type that because of the footballer he was for us it clouds what a complete mess he’s made of being director of football and manager leading to the utter mess we are in at the moment with millions pissed down the drain.  And the guys still picking up a wage but he’s still being defended :lol: he also walked out on the club first time around threatening to resign and going to Leicester even after permission to talk to them was denied, then he came and took three of our best Players. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He probably would have and injuries definitely done him.  He is also the joint best defender (I preferred McLaren) I’ve seen at Hearts.  It wasn’t successful though.  
Not at all,  I could say I think you’re the type that because of the footballer he was for us it clouds what a complete mess he’s made of being director of football and manager leading to the utter mess we are in at the moment with millions pissed down the drain.  And the guys still picking up a wage but he’s still being defended :lol: he also walked out on the club first time around threatening to resign and going to Leicester even after permission to talk to them was denied, then he came and took three of our best Players. 

George Best wasn't too successful as an international player and never graced the WC finals.

Aye, that's because he was not very good, I suppose!

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Do you mean KNOTS?

Ok, you asked his strengths after trying to completely rip into him for having the correct opinion on Levein. 

He does a lot more in the Scottish football media platform than any of the others you mention, again using them to try and belittle his achievements in the media and the platform he’s created for himself, making himself a lot of money.  

Michael Stewart isn’t my hero.  Perhaps though he just doesn’t fancy coaching and managing, perhaps he realises he wouldn’t be much good at it.  Better to realise that instead of being pig headed enough to understand and admit you’re failing while ruining a football club like Levein has here, I’m sure you will agree? 

Again, what has trying or failing to become a mp got to do with football at all?  At least keep it kind of relevant to the thread after all.   Michael Stewart former hearts captain now enjoying a successful media career shouldn’t give an opinion on the guy who has ruined the club because he failed to become a mp? You do understand how utterly ridiculous that sounds aye? 

Off you pop. 

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

George Best wasn't too successful as an international player and never graced the WC finals.

Aye, that's because he was not very good, I suppose!

Did he win trophies and medals and European player of the year or am I thinking of another George Best? :lol: 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
50 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Did he win trophies and medals and European player of the year or am I thinking of another George Best? :lol: 

You’re being harsh on Levein the player

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You’re being harsh on Levein the player

He was a fantastic player and should have went on to have a glittering career.  He wasn’t successful though. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He was a fantastic player and should have went on to have a glittering career.  He wasn’t successful though. 

No but he also had major injury problems 

davemclaren

What’s your definition of success?

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No but he also had major injury problems 

Yeah I know that.  I’ve no doubt he would have had a successful playing career. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What’s your definition of success?

Winning trophies, playing at the highest level and against the best. 

15 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

:what:

Doddie won promotion in his first full season in charge, I can't remember too much grumbling about not being champions. He finished 5th in his first season in the premier league, and given this was the 'new firm' era that was seen as a great result. 7th was a slight disappointment, but only that. The rest is history. 

Maybe being nostalgic but Macdonalds team grew in the hearts of the support.

That's the difference it's not about giving time for giving times sake.

If anything can be said about the last few years it's that the Hearts support were too forgiving.

SpruceBringsteen

Am I missing something? What exactly did Michael Stewart win? I love a bit of Levein bashing but I'm lost here.

(By the way, off the top of my head Matt Le Tissier and wee Beppe Signori both won utterly **** all during their careers but I'm fairly certain they're no sitting at home wishing they'd been bombed out of every single club they played for. :laugh:)

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Al three?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Michael Stewart falls into the bracket of our worst ever players. Pure shite.

I’ve found myself defending both Avril and Shan Budge at points of this week. What’s going on?

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ve found myself defending both Avril and Shan Budge at points of this week. What’s going on?

You're mellowing? :wink:

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nah, he wasn’t much kop but when you think of some of the shite signed in the last five years...at lease he played a big part in finishing third (I know I know). 

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Ok, you asked his strengths after trying to completely rip into him for having the correct opinion on Levein. 
I didn't ask his strengths.  Not all that interested in him nor do I value his opinions - like I don't value yours.  Both are riddled with bias and hatred.

He does a lot more in the Scottish football media platform than any of the others you mention, again using them to try and belittle his achievements in the media and the platform he’s created for himself, making himself a lot of money.  
So is it the volume of work that attracts you to your HERO or is is it his earning power?

Michael Stewart isn’t my hero.  Perhaps though he just doesn’t fancy coaching and managing, perhaps he realises he wouldn’t be much good at it.  Better to realise that instead of being pig headed enough to understand and admit you’re failing while ruining a football club like Levein has here, I’m sure you will agree? 

Maybe it's that no club fancies giving your hero the chance because they think he might not be good at it.  I would imagine a lot of clubs would be seeking to hire someone with all the attributes you describe.

Again, what has trying or failing to become a mp got to do with football at all?  At least keep it kind of relevant to the thread after all.   Michael Stewart former hearts captain now enjoying a successful media career shouldn’t give an opinion on the guy who has ruined the club because he failed to become a mp? You do understand how utterly ridiculous that sounds aye? 
It's one of several fails I instanced and helps to build up a picture of what someone's about.  If you think the two are unrelated it would seem a strange path for a successful ex-Hearts captain to (seek to) follow. Aye/No?

Off you pop. 

Now off you pop.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Now off you pop.

Check the end of the first post you started hammering your keyboard over Mikey Stewart.  

“What actually are his strengths” 

:lol: **** sake man. 

The volume of work indicates how good he is at something.  If he wasn’t he wouldn’t be employed doing various jobs for various companies.

Maybe no club will give him a chance?  Pure fantasy from you now.  When’s he ever said he wanted to do management?  No club will touch Craig Levein for sure after this mess, maybe he can try and get a job in the media side of football once he stops leaching off the club?  He’s universally despised though so I doubt it. 

What “several fails”?  The only one he’s not been successful in is becoming a mp, and you’re posting that because that’s the only thing you have on the guy. 

Edited by Last Laff

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

I said INTERNATIONAL.

What international trophies/medals did he win?  The answer is either NONE or FEW but as I said earlier football is a team game.  I didn't think I'd ever have to explain that.

Or am I thinking of another George Best?

Edited by JamboAl

3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Check the end of the first post you started hammering your keyboard over Mikey Stewart.  

“What actually are his strengths” 

:lol: **** sake man. 

I did.  Sorry.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I said INTERNATIONAL.

What international trophies/medals did he win?  The answer is either NONE or FEW but as I said earlier football is a team game.  I didn'r think I'd ever have to explain that.

Or am I thinking of another George Best?

No, Best didn’t have a successful international career.  In the grand scheme of things it’s not really relevant.  Same as Ryan Giggs didn’t.  They both had extremely glittering successful careers though - unlike Levein, who you are somehow trying to compare to. 

If it makes you feel better Levein had a more successful international career than George Best.  There you go, have a nice Sunday 👍

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

No, Best didn’t have a successful international career.  In the grand scheme of things it’s not really relevant.  Same as Ryan Giggs didn’t.  They both had extremely glittering successful careers though - unlike Levein, who you are somehow trying to compare to. 

If it makes you feel better Levein had a more successful international career than George Best.  There you go, have a nice Sunday 👍

It doesn't make me feel better at all.

You implied that you had to have medals/trophies to be succesful as a player.  GB was a very successful player at club and international but had no/few medals/trophies.  Is that right?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

McLaren was immense, remember the game against Italy and marking Baguio out the game? Another who didn’t fulfil his potential due to injury

1 minute ago, martoon said:

What medals has Michael Stewart won? 

Genuine question. 

According to Wikipedia, he won the Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year: 2000–01.

18 minutes ago, martoon said:

What medals has Michael Stewart won? 

Genuine question. 

Not sure about medals, but he won £250 from You've Been Framed.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

I got the point, but as has been said already, Doddie was a poor example to use. The goal was promotion and he achieved it. Levein's goal, as set out by Budge, was finishing 4th or higher, he failed (twice). Can you see the difference?

I can and I'm not just taking about Levein. Neilson's goal was promotion in 2 seasons and back in Europe in 4. He achieved it in half the time and a lot of folk wanted him gone. Point is, fans - especially Hearts fans these days - are unwilling to give a manager 2, 3, 4 seasons to get it right.

Just now, fancy a brew said:

Not sure about medals, but he won £250 from You've Been Framed.

😂👍

Wouldn't play, bud, but I've seen it before. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He took over in December 1981 from Tony Ford as player manager, back then fans had more patience with a manager who took over at that time from a poor manager with a poor squad. Ironically TJ now wants the current manager to go, proves his point I suppose.

He got us promoted in 82-83 which was job done. We qualified fir Europe by finishing 5th in 84-85. 

Do you honestly think today's fans would stand for finishing second in the Championship and then 5th and 7th in the top league? Gary Locke started the season with -15 points, wasn't able to make signings and had a team of teenagers and he still got more points than Hibs - and he got dog's abuse from some. Neilson exceeded his targets and expectations and got dog's abuse. If Stendel stays and doesn't get it together within one season he will get dog's abuse.

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I can and I'm not just taking about Levein. Neilson's goal was promotion in 2 seasons and back in Europe in 4. He achieved it in half the time and a lot of folk wanted him gone. Point is, fans - especially Hearts fans these days - are unwilling to give a manager 2, 3, 4 seasons to get it right.

I agree that managers are given less time now, but there are also levels of performance which will get you the sack. Levein was manager for more than 2 years, and missed the target of 4th for 2 seasons on a row, but kept the job. Being 11th after the first round of games wasn't good enough for Budge. He got a fair crack of the whip but made an arse of it, and the fans who were calling for his removal earlier were proven to be correct.

part_time_jambo
On 16/05/2020 at 09:08, Special Officer Doofy said:

Think I’ll go with MacDonald’s opinion on this one. A man who’s done the job.

And won the same amount of trophies for hearts as Levein.

4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Of course he was.  
There’s also no doubt who has made an utter mess of HMFC and damaged the club to the tune of millions - and it’s not Mikey Stewart. 

Wee bit of a daft comparison. Mikey Stewart is just a mouthpiece who thinks he’s smarter than he is while Craig Levein has brought the football side of the club to its knees. The point in comparing them in any way is lost on me. 

7 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

And won the same amount of trophies for hearts as Levein.

That’s an absolute shocker right there. Pointing out something every hearts fan knows while simultaneously slagging off doddy who done so much for the club. Poor. 

barcajambo
4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Of course he was.  

Absolutely spot on, the guy is an absolute embarrassment, the fact that he has managed to cling on for so long and make thousands out of us is beyond belief really.  Not a Hearts man, not a legend.

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wee bit of a daft comparison. Mikey Stewart is just a mouthpiece who thinks he’s smarter than he is while Craig Levein has brought the football side of the club to its knees. The point in comparing them in any way is lost on me. 

I agree.  I was replying to a comparison though tbf. 

9 minutes ago, barcajambo said:

Absolutely spot on, the guy is an absolute embarrassment, the fact that he has managed to cling on for so long and make thousands out of us is beyond belief really.  Not a Hearts man, not a legend.

Correct.  And while he’s still taking a wage it’s worth reminding all the time.  He’s absolutely shameless. 

Guest ToqueJambo
34 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I agree that managers are given less time now, but there are also levels of performance which will get you the sack. Levein was manager for more than 2 years, and missed the target of 4th for 2 seasons on a row, but kept the job. Being 11th after the first round of games wasn't good enough for Budge. He got a fair crack of the whip but made an arse of it, and the fans who were calling for his removal earlier were proven to be correct.

And the fans calling for Neilson's removal were proved wrong. My point is Doddie showed it takes time to build a team and managers rarely get that these days (Levein did but there is a valid discussion around whether he was able to ever field the team he built due to all the injuries). Not just us, although the treatment of Neilson ("phoodle" ffs) and before that of Locke ("tea boy" was it?) in some quarters was ridiculous and over the top. Locke faced arguably the most difficult situation of any hearts manager ever, but some were saying he should have kept us up. Expectations are just ridiculously high in some people. If they'd been around during Doddie's first 3 years I don't believe they'd have given him that time to get it right.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

I agree.  I was replying to a comparison though tbf. 

Wasn’t particularly meaning you. Should’ve just posted it without quoting anybody. Their playing careers are irrelevant and they do different jobs. Well, one of them does a job, thankfully the other is going to be out of a job shortly. Comparisons are pointless. 

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Did you ever tell us about all these trophies and medals MS won.

Now's your chance to let us know how successful he was.

28 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wasn’t particularly meaning you. Should’ve just posted it without quoting anybody. Their playing careers are irrelevant and they do different jobs. Well, one of them does a job, thankfully the other is going to be out of a job shortly. Comparisons are pointless. 

Agree completely. 

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Did you ever tell us about all these trophies and medals MS won.

Now's your chance to let us know how successful he was.

Did he not win a league cup with Hibs? 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Did he not win a league cup with Hibs? 

You tell me.  You're the one that knows how successful this laden trophy/medal winner is.

28 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You tell me.  You're the one that knows how successful this laden trophy/medal winner is.

I asked the question.  If you don’t want to answer it then that’s up to you.  I’m not taking orders off the likes of you 👍