Levein and MacPhee left on May 31st ( updated )

mitch41

Spot on OTT. The irony is that the managers job still would have been massively attractive to some good candidates if it wasn’t for the fact Levein was in there as DOF. Ultimately no one credible was prepared to work with him and alas the answer was down the hallway all along. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not wasn't. 

They scored an unbelievable goal within minutes then pissed all over us. They were a better team. 

Litterally a level or two  above 

Wondered when you would jump in with your excuses for your hero! 😏

We sat back in our own half for virtually the whole game and let them dictate us totally. A trend that we saw so many times in big games with Levein!

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I'm finding it very hard to mellow in my feelings towards Levein. 

He was given an absolute gift. Every manager wants the time and resources to put their master plan - dream, into reality. We see constantly managers getting binned because their project was taking too long, or not being able to implement any meaningful ideas because they are firefighting from the previous incumbents mistakes. Make absolutely no mistake, had JJ been given the task we'd be a solid top 4 side. He'd have been 62 during Budgement day, so still young enough to have carried out the DOF role effectively. 69 now, so that boat has probably sailed. 

You might say it was a lot of pressure, but he had the ability to bring in experienced heads to help guide and lead his vision. Guys like Peter Houston who we all know can work with Levein, but instead he copped out and went for Yes men like Daly and Fox. How can you possibly critically evaluate yourself if your underlings have virtually no experience? They're not in the position to criticise. Guys like JJ, Houston, BB will say exactly what they think. Christ, even Neil McCann might have offered something! Robbo being club ambassador instead of number 2? Baffling. Gary Locke could motivate a slug to start running if it was for Hearts. Again, more wasted talent. 

Then you have the utterly rank culture at the club. Another poster referred to Berra (our club captain) as being the sort who is in and out after training. We all know about Whelan's 'special' training schedule (i.e non-existent, turn up on a friday, play on a saturday).  So what sort of culture was this breeding when two of the biggest role models at the club are about the absolute bare minimum of effort? Both have played at the top level and know the demands needed to succeed. Why suddenly stop? Are our fans not worthy of that same effort?

I was watching James Milner being interviewed and he was talking about the Liverpool mentality, and they're training before training and working on things after training. Guys who aren't get noised up, even if they miss it once. That sets a culture of strong work ethic. Obviously, you can point to Naismith, but special treatment breeds resentment. When you're the club captain, you're the example. Being showered changed and gone 15 minutes after training finishes isn't acceptable. Allowing Whelan his own routine was ridiculous. 

Our players really seemed to struggle when Stendel came in, given that was the training example being set by senior professionals, I'm hardly surprised we are where we are. Whatever happened to Neilsons double sessions? Seems like our injury problems really started when Levein took over as manager.. Freak injuries aside, loads of people could see the volume of tweaks and pulled hamstrings seemed more bad planning than bad luck. 

Player turnover was utterly ridiculous. We were being faced with a new squad virtually every season - something Stendel or his successor will likely need to do AGAIN. This is a huge waste of time, money and resources. Continuity is so important, and there has been absolutely none in the first team for what feels like years. Its no wonder we're in this situation. Instead of going for guys who could bring stability and reinforce our place in the league, we went for punts like White, Amankwaa, Osh. We were supposed to be pursuing a youth centric strategy. Guys like Cochrane, McDonald, Irving, Moore, these should have been the 'punts'. Having a stable, competitive squad well drilled and knowing their roles was imperative. Instead he chopped and changed every season, gambling on absolute dross and filling it out with journeymen who have no right to be at a club our size. Done correctly we could have saw real opportunities for youngsters, instead it seemed to be all talk with only Hickey (who we didn't even develop) getting a chance. Cochrane was just as quickly punted out on loan, likewise, McDonald. 

Levein should be absolutely ashamed of himself, even more so for not walking away after this cluster**** finally blew up. He's wasted millions and now, we face demotion because he couldn't build a competitive squad with the 4th biggest budget in the ****ing league. 

As I said, finding it hard to mellow. 

Totally agree. As you say: what a waste of time, money and resources. And a wasted legacy through sheer stubbornness.

7 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Have you considered that Ann Budge might have asked him to stay at the club albeit in another role?

🙈

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, OTT said:

He was given an absolute gift. Every manager wants the time and resources to put their master plan - dream, into reality. We see constantly managers getting binned because their project was taking too long, or not being able to implement any meaningful ideas because they are firefighting from the previous incumbents mistakes. Make absolutely no mistake, had JJ been given the task we'd be a solid top 4 side. He'd have been 62 during Budgement day, so still young enough to have carried out the DOF role effectively. 69 now, so that boat has probably sailed. 

You might say it was a lot of pressure, but he had the ability to bring in experienced heads to help guide and lead his vision. Guys like Peter Houston who we all know can work with Levein, but instead he copped out and went for Yes men like Daly and Fox. How can you possibly critically evaluate yourself if your underlings have virtually no experience? They're not in the position to criticise. Guys like JJ, Houston, BB will say exactly what they think. Christ, even Neil McCann might have offered something! Robbo being club ambassador instead of number 2? Baffling. Gary Locke could motivate a slug to start running if it was for Hearts. Again, more wasted talent. 

Then you have the utterly rank culture at the club. Another poster referred to Berra (our club captain) as being the sort who is in and out after training. We all know about Whelan's 'special' training schedule (i.e non-existent, turn up on a friday, play on a saturday).  So what sort of culture was this breeding when two of the biggest role models at the club are about the absolute bare minimum of effort? Both have played at the top level and know the demands needed to succeed. Why suddenly stop? Are our fans not worthy of that same effort?

I was watching James Milner being interviewed and he was talking about the Liverpool mentality, and they're training before training and working on things after training. Guys who aren't get noised up, even if they miss it once. That sets a culture of strong work ethic. Obviously, you can point to Naismith, but special treatment breeds resentment. When you're the club captain, you're the example. Being showered changed and gone 15 minutes after training finishes isn't acceptable. Allowing Whelan his own routine was ridiculous. 

Our players really seemed to struggle when Stendel came in, given that was the training example being set by senior professionals, I'm hardly surprised we are where we are. Whatever happened to Neilsons double sessions? Seems like our injury problems really started when Levein took over as manager.. Freak injuries aside, loads of people could see the volume of tweaks and pulled hamstrings seemed more bad planning than bad luck. 

Player turnover was utterly ridiculous. We were being faced with a new squad virtually every season - something Stendel or his successor will likely need to do AGAIN. This is a huge waste of time, money and resources. Continuity is so important, and there has been absolutely none in the first team for what feels like years. Its no wonder we're in this situation. Instead of going for guys who could bring stability and reinforce our place in the league, we went for punts like White, Amankwaa, Osh. We were supposed to be pursuing a youth centric strategy. Guys like Cochrane, McDonald, Irving, Moore, these should have been the 'punts'. Having a stable, competitive squad well drilled and knowing their roles was imperative. Instead he chopped and changed every season, gambling on absolute dross and filling it out with journeymen who have no right to be at a club our size. Done correctly we could have saw real opportunities for youngsters, instead it seemed to be all talk with only Hickey (who we didn't even develop) getting a chance. Cochrane was just as quickly punted out on loan, likewise, McDonald. 

Levein should be absolutely ashamed of himself, even more so for not walking away after this cluster**** finally blew up. He's wasted millions and now, we face demotion because he couldn't build a competitive squad with the 4th biggest budget in the ****ing league. 

Fantasy post.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Completely aligned with this.  I've mentioned earlier in this thread that in the 6 years he has been here post admin; we only played 6-7 months of decent football in the championship under Robbie.  The rest has been poor.  Add in the Cathro debacle.  Ultimately, Budge is responsible for allowing this to continue.

Don’t tell anyone I said this but I heard that we only played that good football whilst Jack Ross was taking training drills involving one and two touch play. Don’t shoot the messenger.

The Real Maroonblood
55 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Not going to quote it again because life is short but these pages aren't (:laugh:), however an excellent post from OTT.

A bit pissed off today but this post made me smile. 👍

OmiyaHearts

A pair of absolute frauds and so glad we will soon seen the back of them. Just one or two to go and we can put AB's reign behind us and look forward to better times. 

Tennant's  6's

Bang on the money post OTT.

So sickening that it's come to this when there was so much in place for the team to make a real impact.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😀 did you mean fantastic?

Yeah sorry OTT should’ve just said good 🙈🤪, I’m blaming autocorrect 😜

Edited by Pasquale for King

Randy Marsh
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah sorry OTT should’ve just said good 🙈🤪, I’m blaming autocorrect 😜

For a moment I thought you had switched alliances to the pro Levein tag team. 😂

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

For a moment I thought you had switched alliances to the pro Levein tag team. 😂

Serves me right for trying to use a different word for a change 🙈🔫😂

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Really good post. Can’t disagree with any of this.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Close thread 👍

56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Serves me right for trying to use a different word for a change 🙈🔫😂

I assumed that you meant "fantasy" in a very positive way, as in "It was the stuff of fantasies". :smile:

Please do continue trying to stretch your lexicon.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I assumed that you meant "fantasy" in a very positive way, as in "It was the stuff of fantasies". :smile:

Please do continue trying to stretch your lexicon.

Sounds painful 

6 hours ago, Last Laff said:

I’ve no idea.  I suggest you google flute playing for tubes 👍

Don't be too hard on yourself.

4 hours ago, OTT said:

Really good post mate and I echo all your feelings. Not only am I finding it hard to mellow, I cant help but feel that the last six years on the park have been a huge waste of time as well as a monumental disappointment. You could basically write our highlights down on the one hand in that time. 

We are basically right back where we started from despite spending/wasting millions and all we have to show for it is a shiny new stand and pitch. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

LOL at Vlad Magic trying to pretend that he has any understanding of football.

Maybe rugby or something would be best for you pal. Something where results don’t matter and you need no knowledge of the sport. Leave the football to those of us who go to games and know what’s going on.

4 hours ago, The Fonz said:

Spot on OTT. The irony is that the managers job still would have been massively attractive to some good candidates if it wasn’t for the fact Levein was in there as DOF. Ultimately no one credible was prepared to work with him and alas the answer was down the hallway all along. 

Cathro's sacking should have been a black mark against Levein. The fact that nobody decent wanted to work under him should have had alarm bells ringing in the boardroom, but perversely he was allowed to strengthen his grip on the club. It became a familiar pattern, and at every juncture Ann favoured Craig's interest over the club's.

@OTT nailed it.

59 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Maybe rugby or something would be best for you pal. Something where results don’t matter and you need no knowledge of the sport. Leave the football to those of us who go to games and know what’s going on.

Christ... and I’m the one who’s “patronising” apparently. :lol:

For what it’s worth, since that seems to be the way nowadays, I’ll chip in here: @Vlad Magic is a good *****. He’s Hearts to the core.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Wondered when you would jump in with your excuses for your hero! 😏

We sat back in our own half for virtually the whole game and let them dictate us totally. A trend that we saw so many times in big games with Levein!

Aye, that's right.

Bordeaux were a better team, the first leg was a shock.

The fact we beat Bordeaux away was a fantastic result in it's self, like when we beat Bayern at home. Over two legs tho it's more difficult. 

If you had any knowledge about football and were  balanced you would acknowledge that, but you are not. 

However, it was his fault we ended up behind Killie last season and were second bottom when he left.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, OTT said:

It's a good post, an honest post. I like that.

However...

If anyone starts a statement or post the way you do it is obviously  going to lean one way. It will gain favour with some, it will taint the rest of the content for others.

You're a  Hearts man hurting, someone who posts constantly on here , whether winning or losing , that is brilliant.

We will be back.

I think a little different from you , but I understand your view, even although it is based largely on speculation and media, I think you feel the pain , worse than most.

What I would say is look at a few stats, look at other teams turnover,  when you reference Neilson, think about the support on here, look at your comparisons- Milner, remember we were minutes from liquidation.

Great post tho, really from the Heart. Respect.

Put your anger to the clubs that are demoting us, not CL- It will serve you and us better in the future.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, that's right.

The fact we beat Bordeaux away was a fantastic result in it's self, like when we beat Bayern at home. Over two legs tho it's more difficult. 

If you had any knowledge about football and were  balanced you would acknowledge that, but you are not. 

However, it was his fault we ended up behind Killie last season and were second bottom when he left.

Good post.

I always thought Robbie scoring the winner against Basel (first British team beat them when Man Utd, Liverpool all failed) meant more than any of the other European matches in terms of significance.  (Apart from Bologna, my first Euro tie, seeing the flags on the stadium as a wee guy was a thing of glory) and Bayern, my first football video was the one that had that game on it and i played it over and over again. 

Edited by Last Laff

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, that's right.

MacDonald got his tactics spot on against Bayern - in both legs, and was really unlucky to go out.

Levein on the other hand threw the initiative at Bordeaux at Tynecastle by having 10 men virtually strung across our own 18 yard line from the first minute! 
As I said a tactic employed by Levein in many big games such as the LC semi against Rangers at Hampden when he didn’t lay a glove on them!

He is a tactical coward!

And by the way if you had “any knowledge about football” you would have seen the disaster unfolding under Levein instead of ranting on with your inane apologies for him week after week after week!

Edited by Thomaso

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

MacDonald got his tactics spot on against Bayern - in both legs, and was really unlucky to go out.

Levein on the other hand threw the initiative at Bordeaux at Tynecastle by having 10 men virtually strung across our own 18 yard line from the first minute! 
As I said a tactic employed by Levein in many big games such as the LC semi against Rangers at Hampden when he didn’t lay a glove on them!

He is a tactical coward!

And by the way if you had “any knowledge about football” you would have seen the disaster unfolding under Levein instead of ranting on with your inane apologies for him week after week after week!

I remember them scoring a 40 yard strike early on.

What tactics account for that?

Did they not score a goal early on?

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I remember them scoring a 40 yard strike early on.

What tactics account for that?

Did they not score a goal early on?

After around 10 minutes IIRC - doesn’t change the fact that from the first minute Levein set his stall out to defend with everybody back. In fact the goal came from nobody closing the guy down.
We went out like a damp squib that night!

As I said your hero has no guts when it comes to tactics. 

Edited by Thomaso

part_time_jambo
15 hours ago, martoon said:

😊

Mr Levein does get us all going, water pistols blazing etc. 

Have you been plagiarising Pie and Bovril Junior Football forum?

part_time_jambo

I see Alex MacDonald is quoted in yesterday's Daily Record (sorry) as saying Craig Levein can leave tynecastle with his head held high. If he hadn't stepped into the managers job perhaps he could have, but certainly not now. 

skinnybob72

If it hasn't been suggested already could we have a countdown clock to 31st May on the home page?

Vlad Magic
9 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Results don’t matter in Rugby?

:vrface:

45 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

I see Alex MacDonald is quoted in yesterday's Daily Record (sorry) as saying Craig Levein can leave tynecastle with his head held high. If he hadn't stepped into the managers job perhaps he could have, but certainly not now. 

Think I’ll go with MacDonald’s opinion on this one. A man who’s done the job.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/craig-levein-given-hearts-backing-as-alex-macdonald-insists-former-gaffer-can-leave-with-head-up-high/ar-BB146RRJ

Alex MacDonald took Hearts to within minutes of a league title and still feels he could have done more for the club.

But the ex-Jambos gaffer says Craig Levein can walk out of Tynecastle at the end of the month with his head held high.

Levein and first-team coach Austin MacPhee are set to leave the Edinburgh club on May 31 when their contracts expire.

The former Scotland boss will end an association with the Jambos that totals 24 years in three spells as player, manager and director of football.

Levein, 55, overcame two serious knee injuries to play 401 games for the club between 1983 and 1997 before stepping up to become manager for four years 

from 2000.

His first two spells at the club were resounding successes but the last six years have been a mixed bag after Ann Budge made him director of football in 2014.

He oversaw the club’s return to the top flight under Robbie Neilson in his first season upstairs.

But the subsequent appointment of Ian Cathro was a bitter disappointment as the rookie boss led his team to only eight wins in 30 matches before he was ditched.

Levein took over as manager in the aftermath but was sacked at the end of October amid poor results and a scatty recruitment policy.

MacDonald still reckons the £40,000 he gave Cowdenbeath for Levein’s services in November 1983 was some of the best money he ever spent.

Former Rangers favourite Doddie said: “Craig has got to hold his head up high because he has been there and done it.

“He’s got to be able to walk down Gorgie Road with his head in the air – and I’d like to think he’d be able to do that.

“Management is a difficult game. I didn’t do too much at Hearts, with the exception of maybe bringing European football more regularly.

“I’m still disappointed the way it worked out for me there, losing the title at Dundee on the last day of the league season (1986) and the Scottish Cup Final to Aberdeen the following week.

“Craig missed the game against Dundee and his loss was massive. A few players picked up a virus the week before.

“I’d just turned 40 when that game was played. Seriously, if I had been 39 I would have been on the bench, without a doubt.”

Despite his knee injuries, Levein still won 16 caps for his country and was part of the squad that made it to Italia 90.

a group of young men playing a game of football: Levein (left) rises above the Hibs defence
It was all a far cry from seven years earlier when MacDonald made a raid on Central Park for a fledgling central defender who was as skinny as a rake.

MacDonald knew from the start he had unearthed a gem and only those knee injuries, picked up against Hibs and Rangers, prevented him going to the very top.

He added: “Craig was fast and I still have a picture of him when he first arrived at Hearts – he was as thin a beanpole.

“Sandy Jardine brought in trainers George O’Neill and Bert Logan and they soon built him up physically.

“He could have gone on to bigger clubs without question. He was good enough for Manchester United.

“Without sounding nasty to Hearts, Craig would have been even more impressive with better players around him as he was a listener and worker.

“I still remember his first injury. He had been out with a knock and there was a game against Hibs looming at the weekend so I gave him a run-out against their reserves on the Wednesday and his knee went.

“It was terrible because he was definitely going big in the game. I kept a close eye on his recovery but his knee went again during a match against Rangers.

“However, I always knew Craig was destined for a career in management.

“I was fortunate to work with players at Hearts and Airdrie who went on to have good coaching careers such as Craig, Kenny Black, John Robertson and Owen Coyle.

“There was a manner about Craig, he kept it simple as a player and took that into management. He was a winner.”

Surprisingly, his will to win on the pitch didn’t translate into silverware success as player or manager, even if he also went on to boss Leicester City, Dundee United and Scotland.

Levein played in one Scottish Cup Final as a player and lost to Aberdeen and his bad run continued as a manager, losing in the national cup competition last year against Celtic, 11 years after his Dundee United were downed by Rangers in the League Cup.

MacDonald added: “I won the B&Q Cup – that’s as good as it got for me.

“Seriously, Craig will be more disappointed in himself in the last couple of years, especially for picking Ian Cathro.

“It must have been a blow to him when things didn’t work out but no one would have worked harder to bring success for the players and supporters.

“I feel for the Hearts fans just now facing relegation, especially after all the money they’ve put into the club in recent years.

“As for Craig the management bug never leaves you – even now, I watch my grandson play and there are things I want to tell him to make him better.

“Craig will still be around the game somewhere soon.”

Randy Marsh
52 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Macdonald must have been pished when he did that interview. 

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Results don’t matter in Rugby?

:vrface:

Alex MacDonald must be a “rugby man” too, mate. 🤷‍♂️

All MacDonald said was “I’d like to think Craig Levein would be able to walk down Gorgie Road with his head held high”. Basically he likes Craig and says he was a good player for him 30 years ago, a pretty nothing piece overall. 

Also, it’s “I’d like to think” rather than “Craig Levein can” walk down Gorgie Road. Basically he doesn’t wish ill on a guy that he’s worked with.

Doddie not despising Levein as much as your average Hearts fan is hardly news or some sort of defence for Levein. 

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

:laugh:

37 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

All MacDonald said was “I’d like to think Craig Levein would be able to walk down Gorgie Road with his head held high”. Basically he likes Craig and says he was a good player for him 30 years ago, a pretty nothing piece overall. 

Also, it’s “I’d like to think” rather than “Craig Levein can” walk down Gorgie Road. Basically he doesn’t wish ill on a guy that he’s worked with.

Doddie not despising Levein as much as your average Hearts fan is hardly news or some sort of defence for Levein. 

Exactly but his fanboys will latch on to it.

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Doddie does have a reputation as being a bit of a piss taker...

Governor Tarkin
17 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Some do it for banter. 

Some do it as they lost in the noble art that is  jkb verbal combat and use it as some kind of bat signal to call for reinforcments and Derail the subject. 

I do it because it's absolutely unbelievable that any Hearts supporter, especially one as uber as you judging by the constant stream of shite you post on here, could possibly be happy with Hibs winning the cup.

I also do it because I grew weary of rag-dolling you about like an empty shell suit in the 'noble art that is jkb verbal combat'.

16 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Who would have thought it?

One mention of Talk Hearts and they all scuttle back there like rats being chased by a cat.

Bunch of spineless plebs quoting members on here so their mates can massage their pathetic egos.

Name and shame, Vlad.

16 hours ago, GinRummy said:

why read it then ?

Probably admin' over there.

10 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Christ... and I’m the one who’s “patronising” apparently. :lol:

Let it go, Doofus.

Great post @OTT :)

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

I do it because it's absolutely unbelievable at any Hearts supporter, especially one as uber as you judging by the constant stream of shite you post on here, could possibly be happy with Hibs winning the cup.

I also do it because I grew weary of rag-dolling you about like an empty shell suit in the 'noble art that is jkb verbal combat'.

Name and shame, Vlad.

Probably admin' over there.

Let it go, Doofus.

Thought you were bowing out Guv? Don’t want to make you hate Hearts any more. 😄

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thought you were bowing out Guv? Don’t want to make you hate Hearts any more. 😄

Call it morbid curiosity, mate. 

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Call it morbid curiosity, mate. 

Fair enough, I get that. Accounts for a great deal of my time on here tbh.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Fair enough, I get that. Accounts for a great deal of my time on here tbh.

:D 👍