SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Hungry hippo
39 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Sure, I get that. But it sounds like positive discrimination - ie what is it the womens football have to do to satisfy the SG criteria for a restart that the lower league clubs  cannot satisfy ? 

Or is it the case the SPFL simply do not wish to restart the lower leagues and have never submitted (satisfactory) plans to do so ? 

Maybe we'll get a clue if there's an outcry from the lower clubs after today (I won't hold my breath). 

I assumed from listening to him that they were just trying to find a way that would ensure the women's top tier would be able able to meet whatever the safety criteria is rather than positively discriminating.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

With a Reconstruction proposal to add the Rangers and Celtic Colts. Possibly last years Highland and Lowland League winners. 

I heard the Old Firm Colts is going to happen in time for next season, not sure how reliable it is but if so I would like to see last years Highland and Lowland winners admitted too.

I can’t believe Brechin are going to get away with not having to face the Lowland or Highland winner in a play off for a second season running but if that’s the case admitting the winner of each league would soften the blow for these sides who are decent sides and have the set up in place to enter League Two but are being blocked from doing so.

Nookie Bear

Old Firm using COVID and its impact on small clubs’ businesses to push through their colts agenda. 

Immoral, devious vultures. 

Auldbenches
24 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Old Firm using COVID and its impact on small clubs’ businesses to push through their colts agenda. 

Immoral, devious vultures. 

Not sports journalist here is questioning the impact that this could have on other clubs getting young players to develop.  They will widen their net and have a complete stranglehold on recruiting youngsters in Scotland.  

If they are allowed to leave and their colts are allowed promotion to the too league, the game up here is finished for fans of other clubs.

You think they couldn't do anything to make you dislike them more but they always deliver.  

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Not sports journalist here is questioning the impact that this could have on other clubs getting young players to develop.  They will widen their net and have a complete stranglehold on recruiting youngsters in Scotland.  

If they are allowed to leave and their colts are allowed promotion to the too league, the game up here is finished for fans of other clubs.

You think they couldn't do anything to make you dislike them more but they always deliver.  

They will be salivating at the thought of doubling their old firm content. 

“ex-Celt Jim McInally welcomes the Hoops Colts to Peterhead”

“Brechin defender Billy McOrange vows to keep out boyhood idols against Gers Colts”

etc etc 

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

“Brechin defender Billy McOrange vows to keep out boyhood idols against Gers Colts”

etc etc 

Nearly everything they do seem to envelope our football and culture.  They are a dark stain. 

I try to act like they don't exist unless one of them is gutted over something but it's impossible because they keep going to new levels of greed.  

Imagine supporting that, especially people from the east coast who have no weedgie family connections.  

Imagine having a newspaper sports editor pick the team you'll support.  

Weirdos. 

24 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

All part of a larger plan by them to get out of Scottish Football while leaving  a footprint in the game here.  That’s their lifeline back if it all goes wrong for them.  The “too big for this league” stuff is back on the agenda and watch for the fans with typewriters taking up the mantra.  If the rest of the game here allows this to happen they are barking mad.

Auldbenches
Just now, Deevers said:

All part of a larger plan by them to get out of Scottish Football while leaving  a footprint in the game here.  That’s their lifeline back if it all goes wrong for them.  The “too big for this league” stuff is back on the agenda and watch for the fans with typewriters taking up the mantra.  If the rest of the game here allows this to happen they are barking mad.

Itll be sold as being the best thing for the game.  Their big teams going gives us a competition while giving Scottish youngsters the chance to train at a top English championship side etc. 

If they though the sevco situation had fans foaming, this'll break the camel's back for a lot of them.

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Yep. 

And if the old firm leave for a European league, watch them try and rewrite the rules to allow their colts promotion to the SPL. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep. 

And if the old firm leave for a European league, watch them try and rewrite the rules to allow their colts promotion to the SPL. 

The worst of it is the acolytes in the lower leagues would be pissing their pants in their excitement to allow this. 

Hagar the Horrible

The OF Hearts and Aberdeen should be allowed  a colt team to play in the lower leagues so we all get to bid for one. I choose Hibs.

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

etc etc 

Just to add to your Billy mcOrange comment.

In programmes like sportsound you here them sniggering at wee jokes about follow like dick Campbell liking a rangers party song etc.  They treat it like it's just a wee bit of Scottish football humour when it's joking about racism.  Not one in the studio pulls them up for shite like this.  Disgusting 

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

In programmes like sportsound you here them sniggering at wee jokes about follow like dick Campbell liking a rangers party song etc.  They treat it like it's just a wee bit of Scottish football humour when it's joking about racism.  Not one in the studio pulls them up for shite like this.  Disgusting 

Yeah it’s embarrassing. 

I also recall Chick Young making a “hilarious” joke about Celtic playing Shakhtar Donetsk because they happen to play in orange. 

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah it’s embarrassing. 

I also recall Chick Young making a “hilarious” joke about Celtic playing Shakhtar Donetsk because they happen to play in orange. 

Shite like that keeps this pish going.  Can't wait until the guys from a view from the terrace are ready to step up and take over from that lot. 

At least they would put an end to all that, and give things are bit of fresh air.  

If not next season  they should be looking to bring those guys in for the one after.  It has to change.  

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Good post - says it all.  The neanderthals  engaged in bigotry/racism are being given a soft endorsement by the football media,  which just perpetuates it. Almost celebrates it.    The SFA cannot claim any moral high ground on any subject when they refuse to hold the Bigot Brothers accountable for their role in  allowing this anti-social & anti-Scottish embarrassment.

Hungry hippo
30 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I used to defend Scottish football a lot but the current set up is a joke. The reluctance for football clubs to want to actually play football sums it up 

heartsfc_fan

Tin pot. Honestly, I feel sorry for Partick and Falkirk stuck down there. Two full time clubs who have been shafted by all this.

Would've been aswell creating a 12 team Championship with both of them joining at the start of the season and letting the other 18 diddy teams hibernate for a season.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

Hungry hippo
16 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Tin pot. Honestly, I feel sorry for Partick and Falkirk stuck down there. Two full time clubs who have been shafted by all this.

Would've been aswell creating a 12 team Championship with both of them joining at the start of the season and letting the other 18 diddy teams hibernate for a season.

They would apparently only need one other League 1 team to want to continue to force it to continue. Cove have a great chance of promotion so would be a possibility.

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, Newton51 said:

I am not up on Twitter but is Keith Jackson’s username @tedermeatballs ?? Is that THE Keith Jackson, journalist? ******* hell. 

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Anyway, government grants and James Anderson money. 

Play, or return it. 

100% these little shitcan clubs are now looking to profit from this. Those grants well

in excess of any gate money 

Rogue Daddy
10 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Is this the same League 1 & 2 clubs that 'all came together' to submit a plan to resume football, a couple of weeks ago?... now that they've been given a green light, I wonder if the Brechin chairman (who probably assumed they wouldn't resume)  is now bricking it?

Rogue Daddy

Play, or return it. 

100% this 👆

Boyces beard

What a crock of shit, these teams are better off with the govermenet grants they recieved and the James Anderson money. Tell them if they dont continue then the bottom two teams will be replaced by last seasons Highland and Lowland league winners. That will soon change there tune, they are football clubs ffs, there is no reason what so ever why they should not be playing football after being told told it is safe to do so.

Hungry hippo

I am not up on Twitter but is Keith Jackson’s username @tedermeatballs ?? Is that THE Keith Jackson, journalist? ******* hell. 

Yeah, the "tedermeatballs" thing is apparently a reference to something from a long time ago.

Play, or return it. 

Agree though James Anderson money was, if I remember correctly , meant for community projects rather than ring fenced for covid issues or covid testing.

Scottish Government cash should have ensured the leagues should finish.

Nookie Bear
44 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Agree though James Anderson money was, if I remember correctly , meant for community projects rather than ring fenced for covid issues or covid testing.

Scottish Government cash should have ensured the leagues should finish.

I'm beginning to think these clubs see themselves more as community projects rather than proper football clubs.

If it is safe to play then you either play or relinquish your place in the league.

SectionDJambo
11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Yes.

But some clubs, like Forfar Athletic, were openly saying they were wanting the away support of Falkirk and Partick Thistle to benefit their bank accounts. The extended period of covid hit that on the head.

Now it looks like they want to keep the SG grant, instead of playing, thereby hurting the 2 bigger clubs once again, and ensuring they get a second chance at a few paydays next season. Falkirk and Partick Thistle should kick up an almighty fuss over this blatant attempt to make sure they can't get promoted.

Alloa Athletic would also benefit from no relegation. They, and Brechin City, are represented on the SPFL board. They're not even trying to hide what they're up to.

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

Yeah, the "tedermeatballs" thing is apparently a reference to something from a long time ago.

Obviously something 'high-brow' 🙄 that us mortals wouldn't understand. Prick.

1 hour ago, jambo3tevie said:

What a crock of shit, these teams are better off with the govermenet grants they recieved and the James Anderson money. Tell them if they dont continue then the bottom two teams will be replaced by last seasons Highland and Lowland league winners. That will soon change there tune, they are football clubs ffs, there is no reason what so ever why they should not be playing football after being told told it is safe to do so.

Agree. 

Rogue Daddy
11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

JKB suggested this a year ago!... we could read the situation easily enough back then - why couldn't the 'brains' of Scottish football see it(spfl, sfa, club chairmen)?... of course, all they could see was pound signs. Absolute bunch of incompetents, the lot of them.

Hungry hippo
16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I'm beginning to think these clubs see themselves more as community projects rather than proper football clubs.

If it is safe to play then you either play or relinquish your place in the league.

Totally agree although given they basically have as much membership rights of the SPFL as an other clubs then it won't happen if they all stick together.

The only solution would be to break away again but I'm not sure there is much appetite from the top teams for that as they don't seem to care about the lower league shambles.

Rogue Daddy

SPFL: League 1 & 2 clubs propose Covid testing in 'route to playing again' plan

Last updated on22 January 202122 January 2021.From the sectionScottish

The SPFL's bottom two tiers have submitted a "route to playing again" plan to the Scottish FA which includes the introduction of Covid-19 testing.

All football below Championship level was suspended 10 days ago until at least 2 February amid a rise in coronavirus cases.

The 20 League 1 and 2 clubs say their proposal "presents a way to restart and safely conclude" the season.

More than half of the truncated 27-game campaign has still to be played.

Players are not permitted to attend training during the shutdown, which also covers the Scottish Cup.

"We recognise that we need to do more if we want to restart and this proposal lays out what that might look like including the introduction of PCR testing," a spokesman for the clubs said in a statement.

"This document shows that, in coming together with common purpose, 20 clubs are committed to this process and hope that the SFA will treat this proposal with the consideration it deserves."

...I wonder what's changed?

Hungry hippo
55 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

SPFL: League 1 & 2 clubs propose Covid testing in 'route to playing again' plan

Last updated on22 January 202122 January 2021.From the sectionScottish

The SPFL's bottom two tiers have submitted a "route to playing again" plan to the Scottish FA which includes the introduction of Covid-19 testing.

All football below Championship level was suspended 10 days ago until at least 2 February amid a rise in coronavirus cases.

The 20 League 1 and 2 clubs say their proposal "presents a way to restart and safely conclude" the season.

More than half of the truncated 27-game campaign has still to be played.

Players are not permitted to attend training during the shutdown, which also covers the Scottish Cup.

"We recognise that we need to do more if we want to restart and this proposal lays out what that might look like including the introduction of PCR testing," a spokesman for the clubs said in a statement.

"This document shows that, in coming together with common purpose, 20 clubs are committed to this process and hope that the SFA will treat this proposal with the consideration it deserves."

...I wonder what's changed?

Furlough being extended is the biggest factor I think.

Personally, I believe if clubs and their owners aren't interested in playing football they should just give up.

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah that’s him. Sums up to a tee

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Furlough being extended is the biggest factor I think.

Personally, I believe if clubs and their owners aren't interested in playing football they should just give up.

Yep, exactly. Plenty to take their place and they wouldn't be missed.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Obviously something 'high-brow' 🙄 that us mortals wouldn't understand. Prick.

It goes back to the "succulent lamb" group of Scottish football journalists (I use term journalist advisedly), who were invited for dinner by David Murray, where he offered journalists stories from Ibrox in return for positive coverage of the club.  James Traynor and Graham Spiers were among those who were invited. I think it was Traynor who first mentioned the succulent lamb that they had as a main course.

Keith Jackson planned to use the twitter handle of @tendermeatballs in response to the "succulent lamb" characterisation, but managed to misspell it.  Traynor was Jackson's boss for a spell. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Surely if they don't play football they should give the grants back?

Don't be silly, they want to keep money and won't part with a penny. They also want to keep furlough payments and delay playing whilst maintaining the illusion that they are professional football clubs. 

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It goes back to the "succulent lamb" group of Scottish football journalists (I use term journalist advisedly), who were invited for dinner by David Murray, where he offered journalists stories from Ibrox in return for positive coverage of the club.  James Traynor and Graham Spiers were among those who were invited. I think it was Traynor who first mentioned the succulent lamb that they has as a main course.

Keith Jackson planned to use the twitter handle of @tendemeatballs in response to the "succulent lamb" characterisation, but managed to misspell it.  Traynor was Jackson's boss for a spell. 

The chosen few, excluding Jackson, were invited to SDM's mansion on Jersey (I believe) for the feast of "succulent" lamb.  Jackson was not high enough up the DR pecking order to warrant an invite and has held a grudge ever since.  Graham Spiers turned tail when he was black balled.

Edited by Tasavallan

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Don't be silly, they want to keep money and won't part with a penny. They also want to keep furlough payments and delay playing whilst maintaining the illusion that they are professional football clubs. 

Does that mean I can claim a grant of £10K to keep my business open even though I don't actually have a business?

They should either start football again as soon as possible, or as other people have said, let other clubs in that are willing to play football.

As a taxpayer, I will not be happy if there are football clubs getting our money to keep them afloat if they aren't even pretending to be interested in doing their main function:  Playing football games.  I don't care if they are part time or full time.

Scottish football is a ****ing joke.  I genuinely hope most (and I mean most) of these clubs go totally out of business.

Edited by Lovecraft

Rogue Daddy
9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It goes back to the "succulent lamb" group of Scottish football journalists (I use term journalist advisedly), who were invited for dinner by David Murray, where he offered journalists stories from Ibrox in return for positive coverage of the club.  James Traynor and Graham Spiers were among those who were invited. I think it was Traynor who first mentioned the succulent lamb that they has as a main course.

Keith Jackson planned to use the twitter handle of @tendermeatballs in response to the "succulent lamb" characterisation, but managed to misspell it.  Traynor was Jackson's boss for a spell. 

Quality! Keith 'un-named source' Jackson can't even spell his ridiculous handle! About sums him up... and this story is really Scottish media in a nutshell.

Cheers for that! 👍

Again, jamming in the colt teams offers Rangers and Celtic another advantage which other clubs arent getting. They are being treated differently. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and all other professional clubs should be offered the opportunity to participate in this. Some teams having colts and others not in wholly unfair. 

The idea that they are allowed to bribe dirt poor clubs with £3m is bent as **** and should be something that should if anything be sanctioned. Its immoral. 

Edited by OTT

Rogue Daddy
10 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

The chosen few, excluding Jackson, were invited to SDM's mansion on Jersey (I believe) for the feast of "succulent" lamb.  Jackson was not high enough up the DR pecking order to warrant an invite and has held a grudge ever since.  Graham Spiers turned tail when he was black balled.

🤣🤣🤣 Scottish sport journalism..... unbelievable. Only, it's not.

I wonder if AB should invite them for cocktails aboard her yacht?.... maybe get some positive press for once?