Why do fans of other clubs hate Hearts?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Mentioned this on another thread but thought it would be interesting to have a wider discussion. 

I have found certainly in the last few years that outwith the old firm, we are the most hated club in Scotland. Certainly it makes sense that Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen fans would hate us, but I am wondering what is it that fans of other clubs really do not like us? Do they see us as the big club outwith the old firm who they want to take down a peg? Do they think we have an attitude that grates? Just curious what it is.

I would say I am not looking for Hearts to be loved by fans of other teams, just want to know what is it that other teams cant stand us more than other teams.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• CARDIFFBOY

• martoon

• Angel eyes

He Who Cannot Be Named

I would say the treatment we get in the media has influenced one or two.

Fluorescent Adolescent

Romanov and the way we stepped up to the plate when Romanov left.

Fans of other clubs and the media know that we’re the only club capable of challenging when we’re at it.

Our home support.

Etc. Etc.

It’s jealousy combined with a need and fear of keeping us ‘in our place’.

The quicker we all (Supporters and board members) realise we have no allies within the game up here, the better.

Hearts, only Hearts.

**** the rest. **** them all.

I think like politics , mainstream media have a big influence on populous feelings, although Hearts have been doing far more good out with the football side it’s not well liked outside the Glasgow and maybe those battering hearts actually helped Levein out staying his welcome with a feeling of them and us, 

They're all inferior and they know it. 😂

I don't think hatred of Hearts is universal, tbh. As you suggest, Aberdeen, Hibs and Celtic will but most, I feel, won't feel to strongly either way. 

Regardless, I'd prefer Hearts were hated rather than be the laughing stock, figures of fun that Hibs are.

I wonder this. Some fans of other clubs actually seem to have respect for us, and wish us well. Others seem to be just really hate us. There's not a lot of inbetween.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Media portrayal. Hammer throwers.

Fan portrayal,  diet hun shit for example,  not helped by the union flag. 

Jealousy. A lot of clubs would want our support,  our stadium,  our love for the club. 

Rivalry. Clubs round about see us as a threat to their success and would realise shit is not our normal,  not this level,  having us out the way is a boost to their chances 

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Jealousy. A lot of clubs would want our support,  our stadium,  our love for the club. 

Rivalry. Clubs round about see us as a threat to their success and would realise shit is not our normal,  not this level,  having us out the way is a boost to their chances 

I would say this is the main reason. 

The Old Tolbooth
11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Nailed it right there mate, fans of other diddy clubs like Dunfermline and Raith can't wait to pin that tag on us, I live in Fife and get this shit all the time from those knuckle dragging welts, it's most definitely why they hate us. 

lost in space

I think it's cos we are from the capital and they are from a shithole!!

Most football cities and towns outside Edinburgh are not attractive.

28 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I think they fear us, if we could ever get our shit together.

This for me. And why it's been so infuriating over the last few seasons. We should be absolutely flying as a club with the backing and resources we have had.  

Horatio Caine
Just now, lost in space said:

Yeah but Hibs are from the capital and they're just wonderful.  Leith has become trendy, mind you..

TheGoodLord
Just now, lost in space said:

While one or two are a bit sad looking I always cringe when I hear I this sung. 

lost in space
1 minute ago, Horatio Caine said:

Yeah but Hibs are from the capital and they're just wonderful.  Leith has become trendy, mind you..

Na, thayr frae Leith, ken?

They are at Seafield and Edinburgh has been sending it's shit there for decades.

lost in space
4 minutes ago, TheGoodLord said:

While one or two are a bit sad looking I always cringe when I hear I this sung. 

A bit sad??? Dundee, Hamilton, Motherwell, Paisley, Kilmarnock are only a "bit sad". Apart from Chernobyl - what do you call very sad??

15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Fan portrayal,  diet hun shit for example,  not helped by the union flag

A real bugbear of mine, SG.

How can any Hearts supporter look and listen to the moronic Rangers support trotting out the party songs and waving UJ's like it's last prom night and think it's a good look? Worst still, why would they want to be seen as an inferior, 2nd rate version of such shite?

For some it's immaturity and, hopefully, many will grow out of it but the punters my age (early '50's)? Excruciating stuff. I feel embarrassed both by and for them.

I'm more inclined to think all teams hate each other and everyone thinks they are getting a rough deal. Whoever was last in the league was getting stitched up and it just so happened that we have been useless for more than a year.

Very few journalists write objectively about Scottish football, it's the same shit with a different hue of green or blue and the only reason to read the Evening News is funeral notices.

What I would say is our chairperson's tone in all communications is pretty sanctimonious and that gets other people's back up. They are only too happy to laugh at us now. 

Edited by Jodami

TheGoodLord
6 minutes ago, lost in space said:

A bit sad??? Dundee, Hamilton, Motherwell, Paisley, Kilmarnock are only a "bit sad". Apart from Chernobyl - what do you call very sad??

Haha can’t argue with them. 

33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Nailed it.

56 minutes ago, Gambo said:

When will we ever get our shit together?The giant never fully awakes,apart from the mid 20th century.For a club of our size,our record of success is very disappointing.so frustrating.I believed our emerging out of admin was a bright new dawn but it's just another opportunity missed.we've only succeeded in getting shite together.

Mini Hun tag which some are desperate to hold on to. 

We are the easy target for a negative story since the media can't slag off the two arse cheeks.

Everyone else know that we are not where we should be, so the rest of the top six are threatened and the wee teams see us as a scalp.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
29 minutes ago, martoon said:

A real bugbear of mine, SG.

How can any Hearts supporter look and listen to the moronic Rangers support trotting out the party songs and waving UJ's like it's last prom night and think it's a good look? Worst still, why would they want to be seen as an inferior, 2nd rate version of such shite?

For some it's immaturity and, hopefully, many will grow out of it but the punters my age (early '50's)? Excruciating stuff. I feel embarrassed both by and for them.

Makes me cringe in truth 

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Thats the nail hit on the head..terrified we get it together, and start challenging at the top of the table regularly.

6 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Mini Hun tag which some are desperate to hold on to. 

We are the easy target for a negative story since the media can't slag off the two arse cheeks.

Everyone else know that we are not where we should be, so the rest of the top six are threatened and the wee teams see us as a scalp.

We are an easy target because we have failed miserably for too long, that is the truth of it. If you were on the outside looking in it would be funny tbh and still we continue to blunder along.

The rise of the young team plus groomers sectarianism and racism has flourished in the last 2/3 years. It's a heady mix of real bigots and racists plus immature young men who enjoy the wind up. Club let this carry on unabated, particularly at away games and it's beyond stopping now sadly.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Mentioned this on another thread but thought it would be interesting to have a wider discussion. 

I have found certainly in the last few years that outwith the old firm, we are the most hated club in Scotland. Certainly it makes sense that Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen fans would hate us, but I am wondering what is it that fans of other clubs really do not like us? Do they see us as the big club outwith the old firm who they want to take down a peg? Do they think we have an attitude that grates? Just curious what it is.

I would say I am not looking for Hearts to be loved by fans of other teams, just want to know what is it that other teams cant stand us more than other teams.

Probably folk associate us with the most hated club in the country when some of our fans act in similar tea towel waving fashion.

4 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Thats the nail hit on the head..terrified we get it together, and start challenging at the top of the table regularly.

It's just not true though is it. We have challenged until the end of the season twice in my lifetime, 86 and 98, sadly times which can never be repeated now due to money. Deluding ourselves along those lines just invites ridicule. And don't shout Leicester at me, they were still able to spend millions on players when they won the EPL - anyone decent we develop will never stay around for long enough.

ToadKiller Dog

We have a bit of ambition and expectations ,we dont accept it our team just to collapse against the Ugies .

The other teams dont like that see us as arrogant and we should just accept our place behind the Uglies like they do .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

This is all paranoid nonsense. Everybody hates everyone else. If Hibs or Aberdeen were bottom they’d be getting this media exposure. 

Anyway who wants to be liked? 

I find the opposite. Smaller clubs fans don’t mind Hearts. 

I get the vibe they’d rather see us beat others who are aligned with us. There’s lots of people out there, and of course,  many apart from the obvious fans will dislike us, but equally many don’t mind us imo.  

To be honest, I couldn’t care anyway. Disliking each other’s teams is a mutual thing, it’s part of the game and plays its part in what gives football its passion. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

100% this.

And to those doubting what JiG's saying, it is true - we are the most disliked outside of the uglies.  Looking at a forum like Pie & Bovril shows this.

shaun.lawson

It's Scottish football. Everyone hates everyone. 

Which is the exact reason Scottish football is in this mess.

35 minutes ago, Jodami said:

It's just not true though is it. We have challenged until the end of the season twice in my lifetime, 86 and 98, sadly times which can never be repeated now due to money. Deluding ourselves along those lines just invites ridicule. And don't shout Leicester at me, they were still able to spend millions on players when they won the EPL - anyone decent we develop will never stay around for long enough.

I sort of agree because i don’t want us to ever give up trying to be the best, although how far away that may seem just now. 

I think the theory that other teams fear us comes from way back in our history. My a Dad followed the TT and he always said to me growing up that Hearts were the team to fear for the Old Firm. These things get passed through the generations while maybe not wholly paying attention to the current climate. 

It’s not a bad thing though. I like things being stuck in the psyche. It helps drives on standards of if its etched in the head. Tbh, only Hearts and Aberdeen can probably claim to have the tools to bite back at the OF. Both can point to close title challenges in the last 30-35 years. 

Edited by Debut 4

Don’t underestimate the anti-Edinburgh s***e from the Weegia.

Loads of sheep in there too - maybe it’s a demographic thing, they’re of an age that they were growing up when Aberdeen enjoyed their brief moment of success?

shaun.lawson
16 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

only Hearts and Aberdeen can probably claim to have the tools to bite back at the OF. Both can point to close title challenges in the last 30-35 years. 

Not having a pop D4, because I do know where you're coming from... but seriously, is that it? Norwich have challenged for the title in the last 30-35 years. Are Norwich therefore hated by the rest of England? Leicester won the league in 2016. Other than Derby and Forest - who are more concerned with each other anyway - who hates them? 

Atletico Madrid won the league in 2014. Barcelona's fans gave them a standing ovation when they did so; fans across Spain were thrilled. Last season and this, Atalanta have been amazing domestically and in Europe. They've been lauded for it in Italy and further afield. Other than Brescia - and some Lazio and Roma hooligans - who hates them?

There is nothing normal about the level of hatred in Scottish football. It's so small time, it's unbelievable. And it's also not gone on forever. When Dundee United reached the UEFA Cup Final in 1987, Hearts gave them a guard of honour. When Aberdeen were in the 1983 Cup Winners Cup Final or Celtic were in the 1967 European Cup Final, most Scottish fans were cheering them on. 

This level of bald men fighting over a comb pettiness is relatively new - and it's happened in tandem with Scottish football, at club and national level, getting worse and worse and worse. "**** 'em all", is a fairly common cry on here. Then people act all hurt when Hearts are the ones who get ****ed.

An eye for an eye? Everyone ends up blind. And in Scottish football's kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. 

30 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Not having a pop D4, because I do know where you're coming from... but seriously, is that it? Norwich have challenged for the title in the last 30-35 years. Are Norwich therefore hated by the rest of England? Leicester won the league in 2016. Other than Derby and Forest - who are more concerned with each other anyway - who hates them? 

Atletico Madrid won the league in 2014. Barcelona's fans gave them a standing ovation when they did so; fans across Spain were thrilled. Last season and this, Atalanta have been amazing domestically and in Europe. They've been lauded for it in Italy and further afield. Other than Brescia - and some Lazio and Roma hooligans - who hates them?

There is nothing normal about the level of hatred in Scottish football. It's so small time, it's unbelievable. And it's also not gone on forever. When Dundee United reached the UEFA Cup Final in 1987, Hearts gave them a guard of honour. When Aberdeen were in the 1983 Cup Winners Cup Final or Celtic were in the 1967 European Cup Final, most Scottish fans were cheering them on. 

This level of bald men fighting over a comb pettiness is relatively new - and it's happened in tandem with Scottish football, at club and national level, getting worse and worse and worse. "**** 'em all", is a fairly common cry on here. Then people act all hurt when Hearts are the ones who get ****ed.

An eye for an eye? Everyone ends up blind. And in Scottish football's kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. 

Wasn’t really aligning Hearts and Aberdeen’s rare title challenges as something people hate them for, sort of diverted the point a bit there. Really just highlighting how pitiful an outside challenge has become since, probably, Murray took over Rangers.  

I do agree with your other points. Supporters used to be football people too, although I think there’ll always be clubs you never wish well.

I was just a teen but remember willing Dundee Utd on v Barca. I think a lot of non-DU fans did.  

I jumped off my seat when Liverpool made it 3-3 v Milan. Will never ever be a Scouse supporter, it was just pure reactionary stuff as a football lover and knowing what those moments mean.  There’s probably been others I’ve forgotten. 

Jumped up a few times at Hearts goals. 😁

Probably because every club out side the Old Firm wants to be us . 

Yes we are shite atm but the stadium is almost always considered the best away day in Scotland. 

The way we invested in the club and pulled them out the mire is the envy of every club . 

We are the 3 rd biggest club in Scotland and will always be a target for others especially when we are as  terrible on the park as we are just now . 

The fact the media and other fans hate us means we must be doing something right and getting under their   skins . The alternative is being an irrelevance like a Hibs or St Mirren . 

6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Probably because every club out side the Old Firm wants to be us . 

Yes we are shite atm but the stadium is almost always considered the best away day in Scotland. 

The way we invested in the club and pulled them out the mire is the envy of every club . 

We are the 3 rd biggest club in Scotland and will always be a target for others especially when we are as  terrible on the park as we are just now . 

The fact the media and other fans hate us means we must be doing something right and getting under their   skins . The alternative is being an irrelevance like a Hibs or St Mirren . 

We only notice because, as you say, we are dreadful just now. The glee when other teams score or win v us is there for all to see. But that’s football, as you know. 

It hurts because it’s happening a lot and we notice it more but in the past when we were at the right end of the table most years, there’s nothing to write home about.

We’d tuck away most of the shite in the league, routine . No big rumpus and the away end empties long before the end.  Just have to deal with it, simple as that but I personally don’t think there’s any more dislike for Hearts than there’s ever been. 

Edited by Debut 4

I think it has developed over a long period of time. And is in some way a guilt or jealousy that their team have generally bought into the old firm centric system that we have. Only Hearts in the late 50s into early 60s and Aberdeen in the early 80s have sustained any kind of success, maybe briefly Dundee United also in the 80s. The big difference is that Dundee United was for a really short period of time and Aberdeen was only for that one period in history. However, Hearts are one of the historic clubs who already had major honours under their belt before they had their golden period. The old firm and media would have been delighted in the late 60s and 70s when we were struggling, in their view an end to any realistic challenge given the successors were Hibs who during their best years played second fiddle to Celtic and didn't win what they perhaps should have. Then they were stung by the Aberdeen/Dundee United era. Just as that was coming to an end, a young dynamic Hearts team had emerged from nowhere and nearly won again. That would have been a concern as had that been successful, it wouldn't be a flash in the pan 'new firm' win but the potential for a resurgence of an old foe with a track record of success. That was quashed but fast forward to the 90s and another young exciting Hearts team grew throughout the decade and nearly toppled them again. Then the Vlad years, at least the early ones was the biggest let off of all time in terms of a quality side who looked like they had the resources to strengthen year on year. Fans of other teams didn't see this as a positive for Scottish football but rather were disappointed that again it wasn't their team that was mounting the challenge. They are resigned to the old firm winning because they are convinced that they can't compete but to see another team do just that, however seldom, is a source of pain for them. 

Away from the playing side, Hearts have generally argued on the side of progress and change, not least recently and in the previous voting / breakaway discussions. As it happens I think ICT were the only ones to support us them as well. Meanwhile, Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock, Motherwell in particular have bowed to the old firm / media pressure. 

All in I think most fans dream that their team will be the team to finally stop the old firm and as one of the few teams to have dared to challenge in the last 100 years, they want us to fail and be kept in our box.