What Happened To Music?

Lovecraft

Yeah, I'm getting old.  I understand that.

But what happened to music?

You cant tell me this is now considered to be amongst real songs........

How stoned are people?

Like always there is some shite a out, but, for every Niki Minaj there's a Young Fathers😎👍

Edited by Dawnrazor

6 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

How stoned are people?

Call that a tune?....

Can’t even hear the words! ....

TBF there’s always been s**t music and there seems to be fewer ‘novelty’ songs than there were in the 70s (especially) and 80s.  I’m old enough to remember when The Wombles and The Wurzles were number 1.

You know that thing, when you hear a song early on, and you have it going on in your head all day?

Thanks a fricken bunch. 

Beez in a chap.....beez in a chap.....

:arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

I think, what happened to people is the bigger question.

Pop music is tuned to the ears of the masses, and what they want or like, and sadly, they gain success out of it.

I'm 26, yet even I notice stark differences in pop music from when I was growing up. My Spotify mix playlists are compiled of music from the 70's, 80's and 90's mainly. I like a lot of new Hip Hop, and occasionally come across the odd gem that's 'new', but even then, most of that new music, probably didn't chart.

Always feel like I'm quite in tune with society and the modern world, but then my 6 year old daughter talks about a new toy she likes or a new singer she's listening to, and I am totally ****ing lost.

Give me older music any day. Im 27 and my radio is set to heart 80s. One Direction are cock ends.

Edited by Mr 3 Putt

There is still plenty of great new music being produced.

Music has never been more accessible thanks to the internet and artists no longer need to be signed to a record label to release their product to market.

Chart music only tracks the whims of 12 year old girls, ignore it.

Listening to radio 2 since isolating, is okay, but a lot different to the 90s radio 2 when they played really tame stuff. Is a bit formatted mind.   

Fitzroy Pointon

Radio 6 is good for newer bands/acts. I wouldn't know of any newer bands if it wasn't for listening to that. Some good, some not so good. But they don't play Niki Minaj. 

A couple of more newer bands I like are Idles....

The Mysterines 

Sleaford Mods 

9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

How stoned are people?

There has always been **** popular music in the past and there always will be in the future.

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Radio 6 is good for newer bands/acts. I wouldn't know of any newer bands if it wasn't for listening to that. Some good, some not so good. But they don't play Niki Minaj. 

A couple of more newer bands I like are Idles....

The Mysterines 

Sleaford Mods 

I've seen Sleaford Mods a few times supporting other acts and they were ****ing shite.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I've seen Sleaford Mods a few times supporting other acts and they were ****ing shite.

As bad as Iron Maiden?!

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

As bad as Iron Maiden?!

I'd say Sleaford Mods are one of the worst bands I've ever seen, and I've been going to gigs since around 1986.

57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'd say Sleaford Mods are one of the worst bands I've ever seen, and I've been going to gigs since around 1986.

Never seen, them, a guy I know who has a record label and studio in Leeds rated them highly, on that recommendation, he was a couple of bands I went to see in the 80's, I gave them a listen..........not my cup of tea!!!!

I like the idea of them, if that makes sense, but naw, I've not been to see them and doubt I will.

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Never seen, them, a guy I know who has a record label and studio in Leeds rated them highly, on that recommendation, he was a couple of bands I went to see in the 80's, I gave them a listen..........not my cup of tea!!!!

I like the idea of them, if that makes sense, but naw, I've not been to see them and doubt I will.

Saw them first support The Specials at the Barrowlands.  A singler who literally spends the entire time swearing and a guy who stands in front of (not behind) a laptop that has pre-programmed beats.  I honestly don't know why that other guy is on the stage when he isn't actually performing.

Next I was at Hyde Park for a gig and they were on the second stage somewhere while I was having a beer nearby and didn't sound any better.  Last time I saw them support Stone Roses at Wembley (was down seeing Guns N Roses that weekend and my brother is a big Stone Roses fan).

Spitonastranger
7 hours ago, Cade said:

There is still plenty of great new music being produced.

Music has never been more accessible thanks to the internet and artists no longer need to be signed to a record label to release their product to market.

Chart music only tracks the whims of 12 year old girls, ignore it.

This open and explore, don't expect it to land on your lap

Spitonastranger
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Given your music taste i am not surprised

There is still decent music but it's hard to find nowadays. The charts are manufactured pish and Radio just plays all that vocoded garbage.

The 60's, 70's,80'sand 90's produced a shit ton of classics that will be listened to for generations to come. There has hardly been any classics in the last 20 years that people will be listening to in the future generations.

A sad lack of genuine talent.

8 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Give me older music any day. Im 27 and my radio is set to heart 80s. One Direction are cock ends.

To be fair One Direction haven't released anything for 5 years, still cock ends, but you can't lump them in with current music. They're probably retro to the latest generation of youngsters. 

While bands(?) like One Dimension, Atomic Kitten, Girls Aloud ect are not my sort of thing, they do get kids turned on the music at a young age to go then go on to listen to better stuff, that's a very important thing imo.

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

To be fair One Direction haven't released anything for 5 years, still cock ends, but you can't lump them in with current music. They're probably retro to the latest generation of youngsters. 

Think most of them do their own solo stuff now, the ones I've heard have been brutal.

1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

Given your music taste i am not surprised

:rofl:

On each occasion I saw Sleaford Mods I was with a different person.  All thought they were gash.

Spitonastranger
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

:rofl:

On each occasion I saw Sleaford Mods I was with a different person.  All thought they were gash.

Aye people with your music taste😂

1 hour ago, dsk1210 said:

There is still decent music but it's hard to find nowadays. The charts are manufactured pish and Radio just plays all that vocoded garbage.

The 60's, 70's,80'sand 90's produced a shit ton of classics that will be listened to for generations to come. There has hardly been any classics in the last 20 years that people will be listening to in the future generations.

A sad lack of genuine talent.

Probably a result of music ceasing to evolve any new genres or distinct sub-genres for many years.    New genres tend to fuel interest and creativity.    This has all stagnated.    The last distinct new genres or sub-genres were probably Britpop and Manchester stuff.    Pish as it all was.

Edited by Victorian

42 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Aye people with your music taste😂

giphy.gif

Let me guess, you probably like Oasis too. :rofl:

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

giphy.gif

Let me guess, you probably like Oasis too. :rofl:

Calm doon I was only pulling your chain, but Oasis is below the belt😥

6 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

What's going on here?

I want to blame iron maiden but i'm not sure what i'm blaming them for. 

Doesn't matter just crack on.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Doesn't matter just crack on.

ha. ok. 

Something on the radio that made me laugh, 

They were asking a female sports personality what she's been doing to stay occupied during lock down. 

She said that she's been playing the ps2. 

After a wee chat they moved on to someone else and the guy said, "if she's playing the ps2 i might have an advantage"

Presenter says: Why? have you been playing it more than her? 

Guy says: No, i have a ps4. 

dobmisterdobster

Nikki Minaj is incredibly talented. She just chooses to make silly music.

She can be very good when she puts some effort in.

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

She's got a big fat ass, that's about it. 

luckyBatistuta
22 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

How stoned are people?

An instrumental version of that would be right up my street.

57 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Moves it well on PH too😛

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

First thing I remember hearing her on was Monster, liked it a lot.

Give Angel Haze a try, got done good stuff. Her Cleaning Out My Closet is a bit 🙀🙀🙀🙀 though

ArcticJambo
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

:laugh:

8 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

All her successful songs as I see it were EDM tracks where the DJs were the primary driving force.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This cover of Nirvana's About a Girl is truly horrendous (check the comments on YouTube for a laugh):

Oh jesus🤣🤣🤣🤣

20 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

She is no Missy Elliot

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This cover of Nirvana's About a Girl is truly horrendous (check the comments on YouTube for a laugh):

It makes this look like Niel Diamond!!

Born 1974, I think it was always a thing to end up liking music before your time back in those days. 

I was 18 in 1992 and probably should’ve been more into Oasis and what was about then, but I wasn’t.  I preferred Simple Minds, U2 and I started even looking further back as I got older and got into 70s stuff. Disco and funk too, it was all there in abundance.  Selected 60s stuff, music ahead of it’s time.  

Imo, quality bands en masse started to die out in the 90s.  Even pop groups who could provide memorable songs and lyrics. 

I liked the 90s for dance music, and don’t get me wrong, there was good guitar bands who’d produce a decent tune.  But I always tended to look further back if I wanted to listen to a full album from a group. 

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

It makes this look like Niel Diamond!!

🤮🤮🤮🤮

I see that and will raise you

Just now, frankblack said:

🤮🤮🤮🤮

I see that and will raise you

Ahhhh, you've got me, that was my next one!!!

Iron Maiden are still pish though!