Stadium names

Morgan

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

I was single in the 80s during Boro's drop to the old Third Division and subsequent rise to the First, so I managed to get to 50-odd grounds in a very short time.

I won't bore everyone with the names of defunct lower division English grounds, but after a quick check I think there are 18 grounds that I have been to and no longer exist. That's just grounds that I personally visited between 1986 and 1989, and I think it is an incredible amount, about a third of them.

This interests me , fire on and give us the info...

Forfar Athletic - Station Park

Arbroath - Gayfield

Brechin City - Glebe Park

Montrose - Links Park

Huntly - Christie Park

4 hours ago, smiler said:

I've always wondered about that one Marty. 

Why The Baseball Ground for Derby's old stadium? 

And the name of Alloa's ground is doing my head in. 

You've got me with those two. Without searching I can think of no reason at all why an English football club would call their ground after an American sport. Couldn't even come up with a logical guess. 😊

Edited by martoon

Huge football fan, many hours ploughed into football manager games, love football documentaries (north korea, american samoa, south sudan have all been watched) and follow some really obscure teams and coaches etc online.

But for whatever reason stadium names just dont register with me.

I could name very few of even the big clubs. Just not on my radar. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 hours ago, Morgan said:

I could almost do the 92 as well, years ago. :sad: 

I saw Hearts at Ayresome Park twice.  On one of these occasions, I spent the night in a wee police cell in Morpeth on the way home.  :facepalm: 

I collected more points than Hearts for a motoring indiscretion on the way home from Ayresome. Saw the goals on You Tube the other day was the start of a strong Boro team 

glynnlondon
7 hours ago, martoon said:

You've got me with those two. Without searching I can think of no reason at all why an English football club would call their ground after an American sport. Couldn't even come up with a logical guess. 😊

US servicemen WW2 possibly

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

I could almost do the 92 as well, years ago. :sad: 

I saw Hearts at Ayresome Park twice.  On one of these occasions, I spent the night in a wee police cell in Morpeth on the way home.  :facepalm: 

Morpeth Town play at Craik Park 

who play or played at these stadiums not all of them are uk based?

kitkat crescent stadium 2005-2010

middlefart stadium

bargain booze stadium - not called this anymore

hunky dorys park - not called this anymore

dicks sporting goods park

2 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

US servicemen WW2 possibly

I just had to check, glynn. 

Derby County Football Club were an offshoot of Derby County Cricket club which was started to give the cricketers a game to play over the winter. Both sports were played at a stadium called The Racecourse Ground.

Not long after Derby County Baseball Club folded. The football club then split from the cricket club and moved into the now unused Baseball Ground but retained the name. 

I think. 😁

Apologies fellow posters, cheated a bit. Telephone to relative in Banff. He confirmed Princess Royal Park is Deveronvale FC

Same second question - other teams who play at Victoria Park/Stadium?

3 hours ago, cheetah said:

Morpeth Town play at Craik Park 

I’m sure you and I had a wee conversation a couple of years ago, about Morpeth?

I seem to recall you mentioned the Anarchy Brewery?

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

OK, these are the English grounds that I have been to which no longer exist, sorry to those who find lists boring.....

Manchester City - Maine Road

Leicester - Filbert Street

Tottenham - White Hart Lane

Arsenal - Highbury

Southampton - The Dell

Brighton - Goldstone Ground

West Ham - Boleyn Ground/Upton Park

Millwall - The Den

Derby - Baseball Ground

Middlesbrough - Ayresome Park (RIP)

Hull City - Boothferry Park

Coventry - Highfield Road

Sunderland - Roker Park

Doncaster - Belle View

Shrewsbury - Gay Meadow

Bolton - Burnden Park

Chester City - Sealand Road

Darlington - Feethams

I'm not sure whether Tottenham should count, as I believe it's a rebuild on the same site, but it seems to always get referred to as a new ground so I've included it.

I also saw Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers while they were ground-sharing, but they had already left Plough Lane and Eastville by then so I can't count them in my list.

That’s a great list btw!  :2thumbsup:

Exactly what I was looking for.

John Findlay
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

who play or played at these stadiums not all of them are uk based?

kitkat crescent stadium 2005-2010

middlefart stadium

bargain booze stadium - not called this anymore

hunky dorys park - not called this anymore

dicks sporting goods park

Kitkat, York City.

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

OK, these are the English grounds that I have been to which no longer exist, sorry to those who find lists boring.....

Arsenal - Highbury

Southampton - The Dell

Millwall - The Den

Derby - Baseball Ground

Sunderland - Roker Park

Doncaster - Belle View

Shrewsbury - Gay Meadow

Bolton - Burnden Park

Darlington - Feethams

I'm not sure whether Tottenham should count, as I believe it's a rebuild on the same site, but it seems to always get referred to as a new ground so I've included it.

I also saw Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers while they were ground-sharing, but they had already left Plough Lane and Eastville by then so I can't count them in my list.

Thank you , appreciate that , brilliant list , 

The Goldstone Ground is the only one iv experienced more than once there. That was an insane time at Brighton. Very nearly ceased to exist at all.

@Morgan your thread so i think you should be finding pics of all the grounds mentioned to add some colour. 😉

Unknown user
5 hours ago, sassenach said:

Arsenal - Highbury

Southampton - The Dell

Millwall - The Den

Derby - Baseball Ground

Sunderland - Roker Park

Doncaster - Belle View

Shrewsbury - Gay Meadow

Bolton - Burnden Park

Darlington - Feethams

The new spurs stadium's on the same site but not the same footprint, its definitely a different entity from old WHL for me.

Google street view around the stadium is pretty interesting, different bits show old and new, the difference is clear. Tynie's also a mix of old and new if you street view around the main stand BTW.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Thank you , appreciate that , brilliant list , 

The Goldstone Ground is the only one iv experienced more than once there. That was an insane time at Brighton. Very nearly ceased to exist at all.

@Morgan your thread so i think you should be finding pics of all the grounds mentioned to add some colour. 😉

I've always disliked Boro but always liked Ayresome, it's just classic no nonsense football.

3193819842_9c4a3daae8_b.jpg

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, sassenach said:

As a Boro fan I can understand why we might be disliked.  We've definitely had our share of nutters over the years and are probably not the most welcoming.

Strangely, although fans obviously support a club rather than a ground, leaving Ayresome was the beginning of the end for me.  Moving to the Riverside coincided with big money signings such as Juninho, Nick Barmby, Bryan Robson etc, and subsequently players such as Ravanelli and Emerson.  Although I have nothing against any of these players, things were very different.  I was used to rattling about Ayresome Park with about 5000 people watching cast-offs from the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Albion Rovers, and all of a sudden it was 30000 season ticket sell-outs watching international stars.

This will sound strange to many, but I didn't bother with either of the European seasons, and the only one of many trips to Wembley that I went to was the FA Cup Final in 1997.  It just didn't feel like the club I had grown up with, and I no longer felt the emotional connection.

I still go to the odd game, mainly FA Cup, but nowadays I'd rather save my money and go to a few Hearts games.  Having said that, if Ayresome Park were to magically reappear I'd be there like a shot.

Tbh I don't even have a reason to dislike boro, it's just one of those things that happens as you grow up - never fancied Boro for no apparent reason, always quite liked Sporting Gijon for no apparent reason. Who knows how the brain works?

Tokyo Drifter
18 hours ago, Morgan said:

Christ, I’ve been to Preston’s ground and can’t mind it’s name.

I love trying to remember stuff though, so won’t Google it.

Off the top of my head, is it something like Valley Parade? Or is that Oldham?

Carlisle United: Brunton Park

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Deepdale, it's the most tynecastle looking stadium in England I think.

49 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

As I said yesterday, I won’t be Googling these as I like to try and remember things, but I think Valley Parade was Bradford’s ground.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’m sure you and I had a wee conversation a couple of years ago, about Morpeth?

I seem to recall you mentioned the Anarchy Brewery?

Yes indeed, an excellent brewery, now moved into Newcastle with a tap room right near my house, bonus :lol: 

3 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Yes indeed, an excellent brewery, now moved into Newcastle with a tap room right near my house, bonus :lol: 

Good stuff, thought you had.  👍

A tap room near your house though?  Just too tempting.   :lol: 

4 hours ago, martoon said:

I just had to check, glynn. 

Derby County Football Club were an offshoot of Derby County Cricket club which was started to give the cricketers a game to play over the winter. Both sports were played at a stadium called The Racecourse Ground.

Not long after Derby County Baseball Club folded. The football club then split from the cricket club and moved into the now unused Baseball Ground but retained the name. 

I think. 😁

:turmoil:

7 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Oldham is Boundary Park

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

As I said yesterday, I won’t be Googling these as I like to try and remember things, but I think Valley Parade was Bradford’s ground.

There is a BT Sport film about the Valley Parade fire , was watching Grandstand the day that happened... One of those you remember where you were things. Superb film if you can watch it

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

:turmoil:

Was away to post and say i think it was an actual baseball ground im sure id read that somewhere but was thinking to myself na im inventing that it can’t be 😂

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Was away to post and say i think it was an actual baseball ground im sure id read that somewhere but was thinking to myself na im inventing that it can’t be 😂

It’s probably all correct, having come from @martoon .

The bloke knows his stuff, imo.

Btw, all things (old frozen shoulder wise with H) are good.  Getting there with what you sent us.

Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Btw, all things (old frozen shoulder wise with H) are good.  Getting there with what you sent us.

Thanks again.

I'm a big fan of your work too, Captain

😉

ColinSmith1255

I lived in and watched Newcastle in the 90’s.

I “enjoyed” going to the following which no longer exist:

Man City: Maine Road

Sunderland: Roker Park (good fun)

Derby County: Baseball Ground

Spurs: White Heart Lane

Arsenal: Highbury

Southampton: The Dell

West Ham: Upton Park

and a confession to make I was at the English Cup Final at the old Wembley in 1998 watching the toon get humped by Arsenal when I should have been at Parkhead.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks again.

Thats brilliant to hear pal And im glad its helping H , keep me updated , if ya need anything different just ask. 

He does indeed 👌🏻