Fraser wishart/the press and some ex player pundits

Selkirkhmfc1874

12 minutes ago, Jerah Jambo said:

Gordon Waddell just lost his job at the Sunday Mail after 25years "surplus to requirements"

Last time I read one of his articles, about 10/15 years ago, or something like that, he was shite. Just angrily lashing out at folk. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I presume these so-called journalists etc look at sites like this.  In that regard I have a bit of news for them.  Since the virus struck, FoH subscriptions have increased.  Sorry, that's a big word so I'll simplify.  Up.

Up.

Comment on that.  And in the commentary, give us a list of all the other clubs in Scotland who's supporters contribute in excess of £100,000 per month.

Won't hold my breath.

28 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Excellent piece on Hearts and Mrs Budge in today’s Times. Maybe we should ask him to do our PR? 

Spiers? 

Accessibility Links

Skip to content
MENU
times logo
saturday march 28 2020
You have 0 free articles remaining this week
Subscribe to The Digital Pack for instant access
View full details

author-image
GRAHAM SPIERS

Ann Budge has put her heart and soul into club

Graham Spiers
Saturday March 28 2020, 12.01am, The Times

Saved

Ihave met Ann Budge on a number of occasions now. I can’t claim to know her well but from those experiences I have come to regard her as sincere and generous, and someone who is emotionally and professionally dedicated to securing the prosperity of Hearts. If anyone still doubts this, judge Budge by her actions, not merely her words.

She rode to Hearts’ rescue in 2014 when there was no jostling or elbowing to get the gig among the wider Scottish business community. She has ploughed millions of her own money into the club in soft loans, only to be repaid when the time is right, and not before. For six years now she has refused to take a salary from Hearts, despite, from what I can see, appearing to spend day and night on club business. Budge, in short, has gone out on a limb to haul the club back from that precipice of six years ago.

She needed the Hearts supporters with her, yes, of course. To my dying day I will be amazed at the sheer spirit and generosity of those pledgers to the Foundation of Hearts — a 10,000-strong supporter group — who put £120,000 a month into the club and have raised almost £10 million in working capital for Hearts over the period. Without those supporters the Ann Budge story might look very different but the fact is, together with them, she came up with a plan, she put up the hard cash, and Hearts as a result grew again as a football club and a corporate body.

Budge has come in for criticism from some sections of the Hearts support
Budge has come in for criticism from some sections of the Hearts support
ALAN HARVEY/SNS

When I see the flak that Budge has received this week, in part for asking her playing staff to take a 50 per cent cut in wages, I wonder if supporters and even some pundits can grasp the financial meltdown all around us as a result of this coronavirus crisis. In Hearts’ specific case numerous income-streams suddenly aren’t worth a button — walk-ups to games, a Scottish Cup semi-final (and maybe a final), events and hospitality, bar turnover, season-ticket sales — which meant severe action was required. Across Britain, where businesses are struggling to survive, people are facing either redundancy or much-reduced incomes. Football clubs cannot be immune from this.

Aberdeen can feel a short-term crisis brewing. So can Hibernian. Even Rangers are feeling nervous about the consequences of the next four months. Asking all of us to take a pay cut has to be the norm in these circumstances, and not least when the asker herself has not claimed a bean for six years. Hearts’ accounts over this period show that Budge has run the club tightly and prudently. Yes, the fans’ windfall has been an incredible boon for business, but Budge never let that be an excuse for excess or reckless gambling. Look at the fiscal evidence. She is totally in the clear when it comes to bringing as much financial expertise and care — and help — to Hearts as possible.

Events on the pitch? That is a different story. Given their financial muscle, Hearts should not be in the dire predicament they find themselves in the Ladbrokes Premiership. And while figures like Craig Levein, Austin MacPhee and now Daniel Stendel must take the responsibility for that, Budge, of course, cannot be absolved of all blame. She has made misjudgments.

But I would point out two things. First, Budge cannot play herself as a goalscoring No 9 to fix it. And secondly, it is not her job to sign players and build a squad, but to entrust that task to others. It is down this chain of Hearts’ command that errors and blunders have been made.

I’m not a Hearts fan, though if I was, I’d be feeling a deep gratitude to Ann Budge for what she has done. Her alignment with the Foundation of Hearts has produced a minor miracle of hope and financial investment, the like of which I have scarcely seen anywhere else in football. If some Hearts fans want Budge out, well, more fool them.

Scots’ optimism a danger signal
I’ve never forgotten the optimism I and other reporters felt on that Scottish media bus all of 17 years ago as we meandered our way across Amsterdam for the Holland v Scotland second leg of the Euro 2004 play-off.

Scotland had beaten Dick Advocaat’s side 1-0 at Hampden on the Saturday, and we were stupid enough to believe we might actually knock the Dutch out on aggregate that Wednesday night. I won’t name names here but I can distinctly recall one or two loud, trumpeting comments from my colleagues about how Berti Vogts’s team was all set to march on to the following summer’s Euros.

This all came back to me this week when I had cause to chat to Steven Pressley — he played in both games — about the sheer humiliation of Scotland’s 6-0 mauling that night in Amsterdam. And remember, it was 6-0 after 67 minutes. To this day I’m convinced Advocaat took pity on the Scots and said to his players: “That’s enough. Lay off them. Six will do.”

What I didn’t know — but what Big Elvis put me right on this week — was the excessive boozing that went on in the Scotland camp in the build-up to that game. “Excessive drinking took place among some players on the Saturday night and it should never have happened,” Pressley told me. “It was no way to prepare for that game.”

I learned a lesson that night on that bus going into Amsterdam which I have applied ever since: whenever a certainty over imminent events appears to be agreed upon by Scottish football hacks, it means the precise opposite will happen.

It’s going to be a long, hard haul
Euro 2020 gone, the Masters gone, the Olympics gone . . . for how long can the Open Championship (at Royal St George's) and Wimbledon hang on hoping to get the nod?

It will be a miracle if these two gems of our British sporting summer go ahead. I know our beloved prime minister, Boris Johnson, has spoken of “sending coronavirus packing” but whenever I have cause to speak to someone at the sharp end of the NHS about this — my wife — I am told there is “fat chance” of professional sport picking up its reins again in a few short months. This looks like being a long haul.

I miss sport. I miss skiving off to play golf. I badly miss my Monday night outdoor football (I made a 2018 comeback after a 27-year hiatus). It is all for the right reasons, I know that, but it doesn’t stop me simpering about it.

No Masters from Augusta next month. It is heartbreaking.

times Masthead

© Times Newspapers Limited 2020.

Registered in England No. 894646.Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, SE1 9GF.

IPSO logo

Is there any reason why we haven't kicked off the Season Ticket campaign?   If we are short of funds just get it done to at least get some money in the door.  Other clubs are doing it.  I know we still dont know what league we will be in but just keep the cost the same.  Im sure at least 5000 or so would sign up right away.

6 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Ordinarily I would agree but these are extraordinary times and require different thinking. 

The selfish I hope do not prosper 

Unions only ever work in their own particular members interests. For all the talk of solidarity, forget it. Not saying the work they do isn't appreciated by its members, but if you're not in their union, you're not in their thoughts.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, stan said:

Unions only ever work in their own particular members interests. For all the talk of solidarity, forget it. Not saying the work they do isn't appreciated by its members, but if you're not in their union, you're not in their thoughts.

Again in ordinary circumstances. But these are not and such selfishness in desperate times should not be forgotten 

9 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Add Patullo to the list as well. His article in today’s Scotsman just proves he doesn’t listen, read or try to understand. He just spouts anti-Hearts nonsense. 
Mind you, ill-informed comments from Ian Murray just add fuel to the fire as well. Murray should know better. 

I agree with that.  He'll lose a lot of maroon respect for that ill-judged comment and maybe also a good few votes in his quest for the Deputy Leadership.  If I were a Labour member eligible to vote he certainly wouldn't get my endorsement now.

Forza Cuore
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I agree with that.  He'll lose a lot of maroon respect for that ill-judged comment and maybe also a good few votes in his quest for the Deputy Leadership.  If I were a Labour member eligible to vote he certainly wouldn't get my endorsement now.

Missed this..what did he say?

11 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

Can't remember the exact phrase but words to the effect that Hearts shouldn't expect the fans to help them out.

Surely that is up to individual fans without his interference.

Getting too big for boots, maybe?

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Can't remember the exact phrase but words to the effect that Hearts shouldn't expect the fans to help them out.

Unnecessary comment from Ian Murray. Hearts unlike other clubs haven't asked the fans for anything. 

But also acknowledging pressures on many. 

Forza Cuore
31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Thanks mate. 

I don't understand his view there tbh. Populist soundbite possibly. 

1 hour ago, Forza Cuore said:

That we have wasted £10m of fans money given to the club as working capital. As the chairman of FoH at the same he, of all people, should know that the majority of that £10m went to Mrs Budge to buy her shares and to recompense her for the working capital she put in as we came out of admin. Another 30% of it was given to the Club by FoH to help fund the stand. The guy is a clown. Did his bit but his book confirms he was no more than a figurehead. 

I know he was heavily involved in FoH and saving the club, and I thank him for all his efforts. I really can’t stand the guy though. Just one of those things I suppose. To reiterate before the inevitable, I’m eternally grateful for what he did for our football club. 

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Jerah Jambo said:

Gordon Waddell just lost his job at the Sunday Mail after 25years "surplus to requirements"

You mean he kept his job for 25 years despite being surplus to requotements?

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I know he was heavily involved in FoH and saving the club, and I thank him for all his efforts. I really can’t stand the guy though. Just one of those things I suppose. To reiterate before the inevitable, I’m eternally grateful for what he did for our football club. 

Wjy can't you stand the guy?

Francis Albert
48 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That we have wasted £10m of fans money given to the club as working capital. As the chairman of FoH at the same he, of all people, should know that the majority of that £10m went to Mrs Budge to buy her shares and to recompense her for the working capital she put in as we came out of admin. Another 30% of it was given to the Club by FoH to help fund the stand. The guy is a clown. Did his bit but his book confirms he was no more than a figurehead. 

Hard to believe your first sentence is an accurate reflection of what he said. Your second and third sentences are simply wrong.

Any direct quotes from IM?

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Hard to believe your first sentence is an accurate reflection of what he said. Your second and third sentences are simply wrong.

Any direct quotes from IM?

Yes , yesterday’s Times. Go look it up. And what’s wrong about my second and third para’s?  Cva was £2.5m, working capital requirements for multiple things including paying all football debts was in excess of £3m, funded by Mrs Budge at the time. FoH gave the club £3m to help with stand funding. 3/10 of £10m is 30% 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes , yesterday’s Times. Go look it up. And what’s wrong about my second and third para’s?  Cva was £2.5m, working capital requirements for multiple things including paying all football debts was in excess of £3m, funded by Mrs Budge at the time. FoH gave the club £3m to help with stand funding. 3/10 of £10m is 30% 

Sorry your third sentence was correct

The cva wasn't working capital though. 

Surprised if IM said £10m given to the club as working capital was wasted. Will try to find the quote.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry your third sentence was correct

The cva wasn't working capital though. 

Surprised if IM said £10m given to the club as working capital was wasted. Will try to find the quote.

I didn’t say the cva was working capital. I said the cva was £2.5m and there was over £3m on top of that to cover necessary working capital to keep the club afloat as it came out of admin. This included settling all football debts. FoH committed to raising £1.2m pa for three years to cover the working capital she was putting up. Lots of paper articles at the time stating that FoH needs to come up with £6m to take ownership. Threads on here from May 2014 have you posting on this very topic. 
Yeterdays Times had an article on Murray’s supposed unhappiness re wasted £10m of working capital. It really surprised me that he said the things he did. Just confirmed to me that he was a figurehead and not really involved in the cva negotiations or the clubs salvation.  I had already come to that conclusion from reading his book. Just google Ian Murray Times. It’s all there. He also mentions the funding of working capital by Mrs Budge many times in his book which I presume you have read? 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Unnecessary comment from Ian Murray. Hearts unlike other clubs haven't asked the fans for anything. 

But also acknowledging pressures on many. 

Yes, it was very ill-advised. Even if Hearts do ask fans for something they would only be doing what almost every single business in the world is doing right now.

Basically, everywhere, loads of businesses are being kept afloat by finding ways for their customers to continue to support them, like restaurants switching to takeout only or other local stores and businesses starting to offer home delivery. They are appealing for their loyal customers to help keep them in business. This especially applies to local businesses with strong local support, like Hearts. Hearts are no different than the local restaurant appealing for people to keep ordering, except we have no immediate product to offer except the promise of a football club to support in future.

There's no doubt we'll need to rely on fans again digging deep at some point to get through this, like every club. It might not be a direct appeal for cash. It might be an appeal for more Sts for the next season. We have no real debt and a mechanism already in place, which means we should come out of this better off than other clubs. It'll be up to each individual fan to decide how much, if anything, they can spare when the dust settles. There's certainly no place for someone like Murray to start saying fans shouldn't contribute or Hearts shouldn't expect them to. Doesn't mean Hearts can't ask for help.

132goals1958
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

A bit of  a contradiction. As someone who doesn’t generalise MPs across the political spectrum perhaps that’s why I find it difficult to comprehend. Prefer to have an open minded approach . Some drama queens of all political hues. Would exclude Ian Murray from that category 

2 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

A bit of  a contradiction. As someone who doesn’t generalise MPs across the political spectrum perhaps that’s why I find it difficult to comprehend. Prefer to have an open minded approach . Some drama queens of all political hues. Would exclude Ian Murray from that category 

I just didn’t like him when I met him. Is what it is.

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Fair enough but having met him once I I found him an ok guy. Just a first impression  which is all I can base my opinion on.

4 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Fair enough but having met him once I I found him an ok guy. Just a first impression  which is all I can base my opinion on.

:thumbsup:

Fair enough.

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, weehammy said:

It’s a democracy. They are free to write misinformed junk and everybody else is free to call them out or ignore them.

Banning is what happens in China.

It’s only a few weeks since BJ and his puppet master Cummings tried to ban certain journalists from briefings, Trump tries it too. Alex Ferguson banned the BBC for years, Rangers currently do it. It does happen in China though.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He’s a horrible little *****, have met him a few times in different settings. Trust your gut feeling.

10 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I didn’t say the cva was working capital. I said the cva was £2.5m and there was over £3m on top of that to cover necessary working capital to keep the club afloat as it came out of admin. This included settling all football debts. FoH committed to raising £1.2m pa for three years to cover the working capital she was putting up. Lots of paper articles at the time stating that FoH needs to come up with £6m to take ownership. Threads on here from May 2014 have you posting on this very topic. 
Yeterdays Times had an article on Murray’s supposed unhappiness re wasted £10m of working capital. It really surprised me that he said the things he did. Just confirmed to me that he was a figurehead and not really involved in the cva negotiations or the clubs salvation.  I had already come to that conclusion from reading his book. Just google Ian Murray Times. It’s all there. He also mentions the funding of working capital by Mrs Budge many times in his book which I presume you have read? 

The working capital element of the 2014 buy out wasn't used on day to day spending. Because we exceeded expectations in income from crowds etc in the Championship season, then the 3rd place season in the Premiership.

That money was in the bank and mostly used towards the new stand. 

23 hours ago, Papa John said:

Keeps the heat off Sevco.

This. They never address the poison from Glasgow. They pretty much all have a soft spot for the vermin too. Convenient to boot us, albeit some of the criticism has been justified.

**** them. I’ve never really understood why Preston seems to have a downer on a club he, allegedly supports 

10 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He comes out with some utter pish to as a politician.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

He comes out with some utter pish to as a politician.

Wasn’t going to comment on that, but I agree. That’s not the reason I didn’t like him though.

14 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Wasn’t going to comment on that, but I agree. That’s not the reason I didn’t like him though.

I have never met him so can't comment on that however I did listen to him at a HMFC Shareholders dinner and got the impression he liked to sound of his own voice.

However from a Hearts perspective he was donating the proceeds from the book he had written to a decent cause and has to be complimented on the work he did in trying to save Hearts.

44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The working capital element of the 2014 buy out wasn't used on day to day spending. Because we exceeded expectations in income from crowds etc in the Championship season, then the 3rd place season in the Premiership.

That money was in the bank and mostly used towards the new stand. 

Maybe but my point was that she put the working capital into the Club as exited Admin. Her initial investment was in excess of £5m at the time. 

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I have never met him so can't comment on that however I did listen to him at a HMFC Shareholders dinner and got the impression he liked to sound of his own voice.

However from a Hearts perspective he was donating the proceeds from the book he had written to a decent cause and has to be complimented on the work he did in trying to save Hearts.

Agreed.

41 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe but my point was that she put the working capital into the Club as exited Admin. Her initial investment was in excess of £5m at the time. 

The original point was people saying Hearts had squandered £10 million working capital. Maybe £0.2 million at most used for that. 

Francis Albert
13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Apologies. I misread your post. Your numbers are right. A very minor point is that the £10m includes about £0.5m interest to Ann which is not strictly working capital for the club.

I have read Ian's book. I think it is fair to say he was not close to the detail but it is still surprising he could have got something so basic so wrong

PS I couldn't get past the Times paywall but just from googling from the headlines there have been a couple of negative Hearts-related articles quoting Ian in the Times in the last couple of days. Since one mentions how over-loaded he is with Coronovirus-related constituency work you'd think he had more important things on his mind.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Apologies. I misread your post. Your numbers are right. A very minor point is that the £10m includes about £0.5m interest to Ann which is not strictly working capital for the club.

I have read Ian's book. I think it is fair to say he was not close to the detail but it is still surprising he could have got something so basic so wrong

PS I couldn't get past the Times paywall but just from googling from the headlines there have been a couple of negative Hearts-related articles quoting Ian in the Times in the last couple of days. Since one mentions how over-loaded he is with Coronovirus-related constituency work you'd think he had more important things on his mind.

👍👍 no problem. 
Yes, I think he has never been close enough to the real stuff for him to need to know the details. He seems to have been purely used as figurehead to attract publicity. That comes across several times in his book. Not sure if he really understands that though. Certainly think his comments in recent days should hopefully rule him out of any future role at the club that has any executive responsibility. 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The original point was people saying Hearts had squandered £10 million working capital. Maybe £0.2 million at most used for that. 

Yes, just a bit scary that the former Chair of FoH doesn’t know that the funds raised to date were used to repay Bidco’s funding of initial working capital, purchase the shares from Bidco and £3m contribution to the stand. Thank goodness he wasn’t involved in the cva negotiations. 

Edited by soonbe110

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Some people getting confused with the club's own self-generated cash, which Levein squandered.

16 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Some people getting confused with the club's own self-generated cash, which Levein squandered.

Yeah

Good for everyone it wasn't FoH funds

Players who's contracts expire on the 30th of May, won't take a pay cut I would imagine. They will just hold out until the end of their contract. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Players who's contracts expire on the 30th of May, won't take a pay cut I would imagine. They will just hold out until the end of their contract. 

Then we can immediately cancel their contracts.

Looking back I get the impression Wishart did not know about Article 12 and started to flex his muscles in a knee-jerk reaction.

He may well find out that clubs have bigger muscles than him

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Then we can immediately cancel their contracts.

We can't immediately cancel any contracts. Firstly, we would have be legally certain that we could without potentially finding ourselves in a dispute and secondly, we'd have to give a period of notice. 

So I can't see any player who's contract expires at the end of May to take a pay cut, they'll sit tight no doubt. 

That said, some of them may want to stay at Hearts and they may say, if you extend my contract for next season, I will take a pay cut because it is either that or potentially nothing over the summer as I doubt clubs will be signing free agents anytime soon. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We can't immediately cancel any contracts. Firstly, we would have be legally certain that we could without potentially finding ourselves in a dispute and secondly, we'd have to give a period of notice. 

So I can't see any player who's contract expires at the end of May to take a pay cut, they'll sit tight no doubt. 

That said, some of them may want to stay at Hearts and they may say, if you extend my contract for next season, I will take a pay cut because it is either that or potentially nothing over the summer as I doubt clubs will be signing free agents anytime soon. 

Looks to be immediate. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11790/11964825/hearts-tell-players-their-wages-could-be-suspended-if-they-refuse-50-per-cent-pay-cut

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But you said we can't cancel contracts.

SPFL Article 12 as reported suggests we can. 

Are we taking what the SFA say as gospel now? 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its written down. 

In a national football association handbook. Not in employment or contract law which supercedes that.