What’s your Hearts Heritage?

Nookie Bear

3fingersreid

Great great grandad , followed up by my dad ,who along with his two brothers were founder members of The Merchiston Hearts SC , he was later a honorary life member . 
Never any doubt where my allegiances would be nor my children’s 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TWF

• Nookie Bear

• Morgan

• SwindonJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first recollection of a going to a Hearts game is in January 1971, aged just six at the time. Hearts were playing Stranraer. My dad had taken me, Hearts won 3-0. Sat in the main stand.

Hearts fan since 1946. Evacuated to Aberdeenshire during war, returned to Edinburgh 1945 when dad released  from pow camp (captured at St Valery, France 1940 - Cameron Highlanders). After return to Edinburgh went to Tollcross primary, all classmates Hearts fans! Grandmother lived in Dalry Road. Sneaked in whenever I could - no money! Watched the wonderful Hearts teams through the fifties and early sixties as well as all of the trials and tribulations of all the following years, including losing the league on goal average (Kilmarnock) then later on goal difference (Celtic) etc., etc! Been a supporter for over 70 years! 

13 minutes ago, Chas.Lewis said:

Hearts fan since 1946. Evacuated to Aberdeenshire during war, returned to Edinburgh 1945 when dad released  from pow camp (captured at St Valery, France 1940 - Cameron Highlanders). After return to Edinburgh went to Tollcross primary, all classmates Hearts fans! Grandmother lived in Dalry Road. Sneaked in whenever I could - no money! Watched the wonderful Hearts teams through the fifties and early sixties as well as all of the trials and tribulations of all the following years, including losing the league on goal average (Kilmarnock) then later on goal difference (Celtic) etc., etc! Been a supporter for over 70 years! 

Great post.... Total respect... I was a wee kid in 60s, my dad adored the Celts. The euro thing...  But he always took me to Hearts home games, his pal lived on Gorgie....

He always wanted a Hearts win when we were there

Lobey Dosser
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

Your story's going to take some beating😉

My Mother wouldn't allow me and my brothers to support either of the old firm growing up. Said they were all hooligans. We were all mad about football so we all chose different teams. This was when I was 7 which was 1986 so I chose Hearts. I'l never forget that year as a wee boy. Updating my Shoot League Ladders and having to change it after the last day broke my heart.  My brothers turned to the dark side at high school and my Mother also got right into football in her later years. All my uncles, in laws, cousins and even my wife are Celtic fans. I have never waivered. I went to uni in Edinburgh in the 90s which cemented things for me. It has instilled in me a hatred for Celtic which is nearly as strong as my love for Hearts.

Edited by Lobey Dosser

Really good thread. Why we are Jambos? My dad took me along to the football. From Perth and said as a youngster in the 30’s and 40’s he watched St Johnstone, or if they were away Dundee. Moved to Edinburgh in 1950 and watched us and them - whoever was at home. He took me to Hearts games and the odd game at Easter Road. Never said, but always knew we were Hearts. I suppose there are things      in life that don’t need said🇱🇻

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, Lobey Dosser said:

My Mother wouldn't allow me and my brothers to support either of the old firm growing up. Said they were all hooligans. We were all mad about football so we all chose different teams. This was when I was 7 which was 1986 so I chose Hearts. My brothers turned to the dark side at high school and my Mother also got right into football in her later years. All my uncles, in laws, cousins and even my wife are Celtic fans. I have never waivered. I went to uni in Edinburgh in the 90s which cemented things for me. It has instilled in me a hatred for Celtic which is nearly as strong as my love for Hearts.

Blimey! Your story's just got even better. There's  a thread in the Classics sub forum for fans with no obvious Edinburgh connections. Some great stories in there. No-one supports Hearts to be a glory hunter but we do still attract a good few fans from unexpected backgrounds.

On 27/03/2020 at 20:57, hdoctor said:

My dad was born in 1923 and had a trial for hearts in 1939 they wanted to sign him.but he was called up for WW2. My first game was the league cup final in 1954 which we won and I have followed the since

My dad and his older brother (my uncle) both played for Hearts late thirties, very early forties. Both called up to RAF in WW2.

Faither served in India/Burma and was invited to join Tommy Walker's Asia Touring Team at end of the war. He returned to Hearts very briefly post war, however stopped playing to take over family joinery business. Uncle was badly wounded during war, didn't recover and died 1948. I was born 1950, first game 1956 Scottish Cup Final. Rest is history

Lobey Dosser
10 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Blimey! Your story's just got even better. There's  a thread in the Classics sub forum for fans with no obvious Edinburgh connections. Some great stories in there. No-one supports Hearts to be a glory hunter but we do still attract a good few fans from unexpected backgrounds.

Aye, I remember - I posted on there at the time. I remember being surprised at the amount of fellow Glaswegians on the thread who were also Jambos. For most of my childhood, and certainly throughout school, I never met another one.  

Edited by Lobey Dosser

On 27/03/2020 at 22:10, Morgan said:

Was given the badge my grandad wore to the 1956 Cup Final, for my 5th birthday.

It was on my school blazer for 12 years and I still have it to this day.

I kiss it on the morning of each and every Hearts game.

When my father passed away in 1976 I inherited two items. The club tie given to attendees of the anniversary dinner in 1974 and the blazer he was given as a member of Tommy Walker touring team in the Far East post WW2. The tie was placed in my mother's coffin in 2012. not long after the game of all games. The blazer is in custody of Hearts Museum.

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

Aye, I remember - I posted on there at the time. I remember being surprised at the amount of fellow Glaswegians on the thread who were also Jambos. For most of my childhood, and certainly throughout school, I never met another one.  

I'm originally from Hamilton but left 4 years before I started following Hearts. Still got my Western Accent though and travel up for a handful of games every season.

I was at the 2-1 derby win at ER in April 2014 (Paterson got 2 in short order) and on the train back to Hamilton where I always stay with my cousin, I got talking to 2 lads and a lass from Hamilton who were all Jambos!

On 27/03/2020 at 22:20, Morgan said:

That Bauld guy?

Couldn't hit a barn door from six inches

Saw the same Bauld guy score with a header against QoS in the 60's from within the "D"

centraljambo

This is a really enjoyable thread.

My Dad was originally from Dumfries and was a Queen of the South supporter. However my Mum's family were all Hearts fans.

My Grandad was General Manager of W & A Gilbey (Wines and Spirits Merchants). Their premises, which also included his house, was in Clifton Terrace at Haymarket (now the site of Platform 5 pub).

For my 5th birthday in October 1957 my Grandad took me to my first game and on the way to the ground stopped at the War Memorial clock and gave me my first history lesson. Hearts beat Aberdeen 4-0 that day and my new hero Alex Young scored one of the goals. I was hooked and I've been going ever since. We won the league that season, scoring 132 goals. Those were the days!!

10 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Dad, Grandad, uncles - all confirmed Jambos. Saw my first game in 1957 against St Mirren at home. As part of Dalkeith Hearts supporters club visited most grounds and remember Muirton, Brockville fondly. Worst ground I ever visited was the old Clyde ground with Greyhound track.

You haven't visited Central Park, Cowdenbeath then????

scott herbertson

My Granddad (born 1901 I think) lifted me over the turnstiles at aged 8 for my first game in 1964 (also my two brothers, all of us lifelong jambos)

Here he is with the Central Hearts supporters on their way to Wembley in 1951 post-381-0-86013100-1455564880.jpeg

He's at the back centre below the poster on the wall , with the tammy and the glasses, my grandma below him. He was at one point the secretary of the Central Hearts supporters club and designed one of the Hearts ties so I guess he was pretty staunch supporter.

My other grandfather wrote for the evening news about as a boy living ear bobby walker and him kicking ball around their street. So I'm guessing we were jambos through and through.

I guess our grandfather would have started going round about the first world war and would have known all about macraes (he was in the black watch himself but just at the end of the war I think) but he died before any war stories were passed down.

Craig would know more about all this as he is the family historian and will probably correct me several times here!

Edited by scott herbertson

28 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I attended school in a town in West/Central Scotland, 15 minutes from Glasgow City Centre. 50% of the guys were Hearts Supporters 30% Rangers and the remainder split amongst Falkirk, Airdrie and Partick Thistle

Superb thread. 

The other one referred to, a classic I believe, was a belter as well. 

Heart of Midlothian: the greatest football club in the world and we're the fortunate ones who support her...

...and Hibernian are our rivals. 

We have it all, my friends. 

Lobey Dosser
30 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I'm originally from Hamilton but left 4 years before I started following Hearts. Still got my Western Accent though and travel up for a handful of games every season.

I was at the 2-1 derby win at ER in April 2014 (Paterson got 2 in short order) and on the train back to Hamilton where I always stay with my cousin, I got talking to 2 lads and a lass from Hamilton who were all Jambos!

What are the odds! More of us than we think! 

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Superb thread. 

The other one referred to, a classic I believe, was a belter as well. 

Heart of Midlothian: the greatest football club in the world and we're the fortunate ones who support her...

...and Hibernian are our rivals. 

We have it all, my friends. 

This thread should be sent to All Board, Management, Players and Staff for their required reading material during this critical time

Lobey Dosser
7 minutes ago, TWF said:

I attended school in a town in West/Central Scotland, 15 minutes from Glasgow City Centre. 50% of the guys were Hearts Supporters 30% Rangers and the remainder split amongst Falkirk, Airdrie and Partick Thistle

I would have loved to have gone to that school. I went to Catholic schools in Lennoxtown, Kilrkintilloch and Milngavie. Never encountered another Jambo until I arrived at uni in Edinburgh! 

SwindonJambo
5 minutes ago, TWF said:

I presume that was in the late 50s when Hearts were a dominant force in the game, so able to attract fans from elsewhere?

Aberdeen did much the same in the 80s and many of those fans, now in their 40s and 50s have stuck with them, hence their big away support (which doesn't put a penny in their club's coffers!)

My grandfather was Hearts' trainer in 1911.  He had 10 kids and all were raised to be Hearts supporters.

His sports name was Tom Brandon, but his real name was Hugh Ross.

I would love to have had long blethers with him about his time at Hearts, but he died when I was eight years-old.

SwindonJambo
6 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I would have loved to have gone to that school. I went to Catholic schools in Lennoxtown, Kilrkintilloch and Milngavie. Never encountered another Jambo until I arrived at uni in Edinburgh!

Catholic Jambos who went to Catholic schools in Edinburgh (and there are a good few of them) have posted on here before, speaking of the stick they got for their choice of club. But it didn't deter them!

Edited by SwindonJambo

2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I presume that was in the late 50s when Hearts were a dominant force in the game, so able to attract fans from elsewhere?

Aberdeen did much the same in the 80s and many of those fans, now in their 40s and 50s have stuck with them, hence their big away support (which doesn't put a penny in their club's coffers!)

Cannot give a precise number but I know of at least 10 guys from school who are shareholders and contributors to FoH.

Probably shows the difference between following Kings of The Castle and Sheep

2 minutes ago, TWF said:

This thread should be sent to All Board, Management, Players and Staff for their required reading material during this critical time

👏

Lobey Dosser
2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Catholic Jambos who went to Catholic schools in Edinburgh (and there are a good few of them) have posted on here, speaking of the stick they got for their choice of club. But it didn't deter them!

Same boat. If anything, it just made me dig my heels in even further. 

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, TWF said:

Cannot give a precise number but I know of at least 10 guys from school who are shareholders and contributors to FoH.

Probably shows the difference between following Kings of The Castle and Sheep

That's impressive. If ever the board needed an incentive to get to get their arses in gear and sort the playing side, the club's potential to attract fans from far and wide is huge. 

SwindonJambo
6 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

The point being that they were in Edinburgh so although perceived by their peers to be an odd choice of club, at least it was local.

I think Your boat had rather choppier seas to sail 😉! I went to 'non denominational' Hamilton Grammar and protestants who followed Celtic were not rare. 

Doctor FinnBarr
20 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

The point being that they were in Edinburgh so although perceived by their peers to be an odd choice of club, at least it was local.

I think Your boat had rather choppier seas to sail 😉! I went to 'non denominational' Hamilton Grammar and protestants who followed Celtic were not rare. 

Same mate, lot of guys who I went to school were the same, qiute a few have ended up IRA supporting *******s

Jambo from the day I was born. Tommy Walker was my grandfather's brother. My Dad took me to my first match when I was about five! 

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

Jambo from the day I was born. Tommy Walker was my grandfather's brother. My Dad took me to my first match when I was about five! 

Wow!

6 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Catholic Jambos who went to Catholic schools in Edinburgh (and there are a good few of them) have posted on here before, speaking of the stick they got for their choice of club. But it didn't deter them!

It’s important to separate the few “up to their knees” morons in Hearts support and the vast majority in the support that couldn’t care less which school you went to. The other key point is that Hearts have never adopted a sectarian policy nor bragged about their religious history or affiliations. Unlike Hibs who make a point of stressing their sectarian background.

Ronald Villiers

I'm from Falkirk and my full family are Jambo's.  Everyone that has been married in to the family, other than my Rangers supporting brother in law, have thankfully been Jambo's aswell.

My wife was never into football until I started taking her to Tynie years ago.  Her family were from Aberdeen.  We used to visit her old granny up there in the early 90's.  She was making a cup of tea one day we were up and I heard her whistling the Hearts song.  I asked her if she realised what she was singing.  Turns out her parents moved up to Aberdeen from Leith in the 1920's, all Hearts fans. 

Harry Potter
On 27/03/2020 at 19:13, Nookie Bear said:

Just for fun. 

What is your Hearts Heritage? How far back can you trace your Hearts connection and family tree. 

Some of the older members will remember the 50’s and 60’s but did your parents/grandparents go pre-war?  I would love to know if they shared memories of those times. 

This is not a quest for The Ultimate PHM and my own connection to Hearts goes back only to 1984, so I can’t even talk about Drew Busby, let alone Willie Bauld 🙁

And I wonder what we will be telling our grandkids...

Corstorphine primary where my class was full of jambos, one classmates dad was a director at Hearts.

My mum was not interested in football but my dad liked to see us win.

I still bump in to my old class mates at Tynecastle, sometimes for a beer in the roseburn bar.

3fingersreid

Buckie Saturday 19th 1955 Scottish cup tie ( 0-6) my dad Bob 2nd on the right ,his brother Dave  at the back in the tammy, not sure of the other Jambos names . 

The bottom picture is them sending the result back “down the wires “ to the evening dispatch from the Buckie press office , with a well known Edinburgh speaker and my dads pal from the past , Craigie Veitch using his press connections to do the report .

7B07A650-A3AC-419B-BE47-7ED816A34B13.jpeg

4ABAA3FC-0EF9-4DDD-BEB5-946EAF07FFA7.jpeg

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Buckie Saturday 19th 1955 Scottish cup tie ( 0-6) my dad Bob 2nd on the right ,his brother Dave  at the back in the tammy, not sure of the other Jambos names . 

The bottom picture is them sending the result back “down the wires “ to the evening dispatch from the Buckie press office , with a well known Edinburgh speaker and my dads pal from the past , Craigie Veitch using his press connections to do the report .

outstanding post.

On 27/03/2020 at 19:19, Mr 3 Putt said:

Dads a Celtic fan, his dad Partick Thistle. Mums side are Rangers. Just me going it solo as a jambo.

Hope you disowned them. 😍

Good thread with some great posts, loving the old photos 👍

My family is a straight split down the middle. On my dads side they are all huns, he was an only child but his dad and all his cousins are huns to a man. Like a lot of old firm fans none of them ever go to games.

My late mothers side of the family are all Jambos and that goes back to both my grandads and their fathers. That side of the family nearly all live in the west side of Edinburgh and always have. The only exception was my Great Uncle John who lived in Slateford Road and was a hibby. He was the most argumentative and contrary man I’ve ever known but a smashing bloke. He had two daughters with zero interest in football so the hibs supporting died with him.

TorinoJambo

I'm 65. My dad and uncles on both sides were all jambos. My maternal grandfather was born in 1890 and was a Jambo as were his four brothers. My paternal grandfather was too. My grandfather tried to get into the Royal Scots in 1914 but it was oversubscribed and he spent 1914-18 in the Gordon Highlanders. My late brother was a Jambo and my son is. I have two daughters. Ones man is a Jambo but, here's the fly in the ointment, my other son in law is a Hibby. My wife's dad was a Jambo but the most amazing thing was my late mother in law came from Kelso and most of the men in that family were jambos too. I was never going to be anything else. 

10 hours ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I recall an office where 8 other guys worked. 3 were catholic 5 protestant. All were footie supporters. 2 of the catholic lads were jambos as were 3 of the protestant lads. The remainder 1 catholic and 2 protestant were all Celtic fans. That was in the mid 60's 

10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

That's impressive. If ever the board needed an incentive to get to get their arses in gear and sort the playing side, the club's potential to attract fans from far and wide is huge. 

A phone call this morning from one of the 10 from school. Reminded me of when we organised a small coach to travel to Hampden for a Scottish Cup Final against Dunfermline which we lost. The next time most of us met up was for the game of games in 2012.

11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

My grandfather was Hearts' trainer in 1911.  He had 10 kids and all were raised to be Hearts supporters.

His sports name was Tom Brandon, but his real name was Hugh Ross.

I would love to have had long blethers with him about his time at Hearts, but he died when I was eight years-old.

He would have known my great granddad, George Sinclair. 😊

Over the years have visited many countries in the world. More often than not seem to bump into Jambos. Seems true Jambos have an instantly recognisable face!!

Attended a function to celebrate independence for the island group St Kitts and Nevis about 40 years ago. Became embroiled in conversation (as you do) with the new British Ambassador, turned out he was a Jambo formerly from Prestonpans. What was even more interesting was that the third party in the conversation was the new deputy Prime Minister of St Kitts and Nevis who turned out to be a Jambos fan. Apparently he had spent 5 years studying Law and Politics (surprise surprise) at Edinburgh University in the late 50's early 60's and was introduced to the Family of Jambos by his roommate who was also a Jambo and they frequently attended home games. He said he still had some programmes from that time. I recall he also suggested that the then new Prime Minister of Bermuda had, in his words, close affiliations to Hearts, after he too spent time studying in Edinburgh.

There is a distinct analogy here, almost Biblical.  " Go out unto all nations and spread the word" 

1 hour ago, TorinoJambo said:

I'm 65. My dad and uncles on both sides were all jambos. My maternal grandfather was born in 1890 and was a Jambo as were his four brothers. My paternal grandfather was too. My grandfather tried to get into the Royal Scots in 1914 but it was oversubscribed and he spent 1914-18 in the Gordon Highlanders. My late brother was a Jambo and my son is. I have two daughters. Ones man is a Jambo but, here's the fly in the ointment, my other son in law is a Hibby. My wife's dad was a Jambo but the most amazing thing was my late mother in law came from Kelso and most of the men in that family were jambos too. I was never going to be anything else. 

Strange that on my mother's side all the men were Huns whereas all the women were Jambos. My mother's mother (my grandmother) was a suffragette, and jailed many times. She too was apparently an avid Jambos supporter. She would be rightfully proud that our Leader is AB

12 hours ago, TWF said:

When my father passed away in 1976 I inherited two items. The club tie given to attendees of the anniversary dinner in 1974 and the blazer he was given as a member of Tommy Walker touring team in the Far East post WW2. The tie was placed in my mother's coffin in 2012. not long after the game of all games. The blazer is in custody of Hearts Museum.

Fantastic two items to have been left, TWF :thumbsup:

Also, a very fitting way to part with them.  Lovely stuff.

11 hours ago, TWF said:

Saw the same Bauld guy score with a header against QoS in the 60's from within the "D"

:wow: 

This is one of my favourite pictures of ‘The King’. 

1EFB6A19-F013-493A-9347-7AD5221C4418.jpeg

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Great photos, fingers.  

Probably regret becoming involved in this thread. My wife (who is not a football fan) has just reminded me of our first visit to Hamilton - North Island New Zealand 5 years past to visit our son, also a devoted Jambo. The two of us minus son, who was at work, were walking along the main drag, I was wearing my Cup Final tee shirt from 2012. She who must be obeyed had criticised my choice of clothing - " I don't know why you are wearing that all the way out here in NZ. No one will recognise it"  We crossed the road and were suddenly met with several (i think there were 5) largish Kiwis (or so I thought) shouting in unison - " We hate the Hibees" They had recognised my top, much to my better half's surprise! Transpired they were all second generation Scots/Kiwis whose parents were Jambos from different locations in the Lothians. They hadn't known each other until they attended a gathering of Jambos in Dunedin (where else)  in the late nineties organised by the then New Zealand Hearts Supporters. They reckoned there were over 400 at the event. Although they lived in different locations throughout NZ they did meet up once a year for some "socialising" which is Kiwi talk for drink, more drink and even more drink) and this so happened to be that years get together in Hamilton. Definitely a small world and filled with lots and lots of Jambos!!

She who must be obeyed has told me I should Desist from making any further posts. I'm not sure what desist means, I can only presume it means STOP due to the rather angry looking faces she was pulling!!!!!!!