What’s your Hearts Heritage?

Nookie Bear

Nookie Bear

Just for fun. 

What is your Hearts Heritage? How far back can you trace your Hearts connection and family tree. 

Some of the older members will remember the 50’s and 60’s but did your parents/grandparents go pre-war?  I would love to know if they shared memories of those times. 

This is not a quest for The Ultimate PHM and my own connection to Hearts goes back only to 1984, so I can’t even talk about Drew Busby, let alone Willie Bauld 🙁

And I wonder what we will be telling our grandkids...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TWF

• Nookie Bear

• Morgan

• SwindonJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dad, his Dad, his Dad. Don’t know after that.

Mum’s side Grandad went game about, but was from Newhaven and would have chosen Hibs if pushed.

Step Dad is 78 I think and his whole paternal line is Hearts like my Dad’s was, I think.

Few Huns and a Falkirk fan thrown in there with uncles.

Both my kids are being indoctrinated to Hearts. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Dad, his Dad, his Dad. Don’t know after that.

Mum’s side Grandad went game about, but was from Newhaven and would have chosen Hibs if pushed.

Step Dad is 78 I think and his whole paternal line is Hearts like my Dad’s was, I think.

Few Huns and a Falkirk fan thrown in there with uncles.

Both my kids are being indoctrinated to Hearts. 

That goes back decades! 

I often wonder if there are supporters who can trace it back to the 19th Century through grandparents. 

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

When I begun supporting them in 2004. Fairly easy to track 

Have to start somewhere 👍🏻

Ive got my son into it now so hopefully a few more years to come for us. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Have to start somewhere 👍🏻

Ive got my son into it now so hopefully a few more years to come for us. 

Indeed. My Grandad, Great Uncle and Uncle were the only football fans before me and they were Rangers, Hibs and Celtic respectively, thankfully I never followed suit with either. Through her family, my wee fellas Hearts heritage goes back a fair bit further

They won’t have the luxury of a choice, it’s Hearts or nothing 

Edited by Thommo414

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That goes back decades! 

I often wonder if there are supporters who can trace it back to the 19th Century through grandparents. 

Yeah, I’m pretty sure my great grandad on my Dad’s side must be very far back indeed. Early 1900s? If my Dad was still alive he’d be 74 I think. Not ever checked when his Dad or Grandad had kids (age). You assume in those days it was 20s though, I suppose. 

My Grandad was born in 1910, went to his first Hearts game when he was 10 or 11 I think and his son, my Dad, is a Hearts supporter born in the early 1950's. 5 of my Uncles are also Jambos. 

I didn't get a choice in the matter.

jimbojumbojambo

My great grandparents came down from Morayshire and were married in 1874 in what was then Ramsay Lodge beside the castle. After some years in the Dumbiedykes area the family moved to Newton Street in Gorgie where my grandad grew up. Little chance of the family being anything but Jambos since then. Incidentally the reason for the migration south from Moray would appear to be my great gran's advanced pregnancy  "Y'ere whit ! - get yersel away fae Elgin". Alternatively my great grandad may have heard about a wee football team that was about to make its mark.

The White Cockade

Grandad saw Bobby Walker playing in maroon

My Dad watched Bobby Walker

I had to make do with Nicky and Jamie 🙈

Dad had trials for Hearts in the 50s. Took me to my first match in 67 against Greenock Morton.  Supporter ever since, good times and bad. 

Seaside jambo

My dad was born in the 20s myself in the 50s my son’s 70s&80s grandsons (4of them ) this century all Of us jambos 

I remember as a kid in the seventies my granddad, b1908, telling me he saw Hearts beat Hibs 8-3 in 1935 and that all his 9 brothers and father were Hearts supporters. He was the second youngest brother so I reckon his dad must have been born around the time of the club's foundation.

Not that it matters. Some of the most devoted Jambos I've known have no "Hearts heritage". 

20 hours ago, Cruyff said:

My Grandad was born in 1910, went to his first Hearts game when he was 10 or 11 I think and his son, my Dad, is a Hearts supporter born in the early 1950's. 5 of my Uncles are also Jambos. 

Me to the correct way lol

My dad was born in 1923 and had a trial for hearts in 1939 they wanted to sign him.but he was called up for WW2. My first game was the league cup final in 1954 which we won and I have followed the since

Nookie Bear
57 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You just sometimes wish you had a chance to sit down and ask a million questions. Watching Hearts in a post-WWI world is amazing. 

My Grandad(my Dad’s side) born in 1900 and passed on his maroon lineage to all his offspring and their offspring too! Not a bit green in sight.  😁

My Dad’s Uncle drove the team bus during the Terrible Trio years. 

My Mum’s side a bit more mixed but my Grandparents on that side lived next door to Willie Bauld’s parents in Newcraighall. My Dads Christmases all came at once when he started seeing my Mum and learned who her neighbours were. 😁🇱🇻

kingantti1874

My family were are pretty much all huns, my old man didn’t like the shite and went to watch hearts when he was a teen in the early 50’s..

me I don’t remember anything else, never made a conscious decision.. never known anything else.. my first love.

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, martoon said:

I remember as a kid in the seventies my granddad, b1908, telling me he saw Hearts beat Hibs 8-3 in 1935 and that all his 9 brothers and father were Hearts supporters. He was the second youngest brother so I reckon his dad must have been born around the time of the club's foundation.

Not that it matters. Some of the most devoted Jambos I've known have no "Hearts heritage". 

Your second paragraph is spot on. I was only asking out of curiosity. My grandad was English and saw all the threats from the 1920’s onwards but I never thought to really ask him about guys like Finney, Edwards etc. He was a football man though and enjoyed the couple of Hearts games I took him to. 

By the way, 8-3. Get it right up them!

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

My Grandad(my Dad’s side) born in 1900 and passed on his maroon lineage to all his offspring and their offspring too! Not a bit green in sight.  😁

My Dad’s Uncle drove the team bus during the Terrible Trio years. 

My Mum’s side a bit more mixed but my Grandparents on that side lived next door to Willie Bauld’s parents in Newcraighall. My Dads Christmases all came at once when he started seeing my Mum and learned who her neighbours were. 😁🇱🇻

My father in law lived next door to Jimmy Wardhaughs mum and remembers kicking a ball around the back garden with Jimmy and his two friends, Willie and Alfie...

Luscious Laryea

Dad is a Rangers fan, mum is from a family of massive Raith fans.

Went to my first Hearts games in the 1998 cup run with my mate and his dad and was hooked - I would've been 8 years old and never looked back! Only Hearts fan in my extended family.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

My father in law lived next door to Jimmy Wardhaughs mum and remembers kicking a ball around the back garden with Jimmy and his two friends, Willie and Alfie...

👍🏻Excellent. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Your second paragraph is spot on. I was only asking out of curiosity. My grandad was English and saw all the threats from the 1920’s onwards but I never thought to really ask him about guys like Finney, Edwards etc. He was a football man though and enjoyed the couple of Hearts games I took him to. 

By the way, 8-3. Get it right up them!

I'd had plenty of 0-7 jibes in the seventies and when I mentioned it to my granddad he told me all about 8-3 and that Hearts had always been better than Hibs. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

You just sometimes wish you had a chance to sit down and ask a million questions. Watching Hearts in a post-WWI world is amazing. 

Never really knew my Grandad tbh, me and my sister were the youngest of his 11 or 12 grandkids, so never really spoke to him much but I'm sure he said that Alex Massie was the best player he'd ever seen. He died in 2006. I'd have to ask my Auld man, he'd know more. I think my grandads brother was a Hearts fanatic but he died before I was born. 

nathan brittles

my grandfather used to walk from South Queensferry to watch Hearts before the first world war.I remember as a wee boy waiting for my dad coming home in 1948 from a game against East Fife.We won 6-1 and I think it was the first line up to include Conn,Bauld and Wardhaugh together.I started going to Tynecastle in the early 1950s

and I was there on that memorable day in 1956 when we won the cup.

Tonight I just watched a replay of the 2012 final which I attended.

First Jambo in my family, my wee laddie is 3 and he's getting into it now, so hopefully just the start of a new ever increasing line, got some catching up to do with others, but I started supporting around 85, despite family trying for many years to change me and also no trying the same with my son.

Great Grandad was Curly Fraser who played for Hearts in the 1890’s. Everyone on my dads side has been Hearts ever since. My mum’s family going back to Great Grandparents all supported Hearts also. 

Great Grandad..died on the Somme Battlefield september 1916..kick started the jambo life on my mums side..my dad as a kid lived in Wardilaw terrace..no brainer who to follow..

rudi must stay

Grandad in the 50s and 60s, football nutter. He'd even go to Easter Road just so he could watch football, a fairly common thing to do im told at the time 

My dad , grandad and great grandad where all hearts fans , all lived near tynecastle at some time in there life’s .know this as my dad spoke of the times when him and his brothers got as he called it a lift over by his grandad, he used to speak of the great crowds and former great players we used to have , unfortunately he’s not here anymore and I wished I had noted down all his story’s.my mother and her mother were also big jambos....its in my blood for sure 👍

Dad and his brothers born in the 20’s they saw all the glory of 50’s Hearts team, I got taken along when I was about 9 in  that fateful season when we lost the league to Killie on the last day, my fist game was v Airdrieonians at Tynecastle we won 6-1. Remember it well.

Was given the badge my grandad wore to the 1956 Cup Final, for my 5th birthday.

It was on my school blazer for 12 years and I still have it to this day.

I kiss it on the morning of each and every Hearts game.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bloody hooligans!

Sounds like a right terrible trio.

Nookie Bear
13 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Surprisingly lots of hearts fans from the early 1900s born

and brought up in leith 

Were hubs perhaps seen as an Irish immigrant club at the time and therefore, if you weren’t, you went to Hearts?

I am just guessing, mind. 

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was given the badge my grandad wore to the 1956 Cup Final, for my 5th birthday.

It was on my school blazer for 12 years and I still have it to this day.

I kiss it on the morning of each and every Hearts game.

Surprised you got away with that! 

I suppose, many years from now, our grandkids will be wearing the scarves and badges we wore in 2012

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Bloody hooligans!

Sounds like a right terrible trio.

They did break a window, to be fair. Bloody hopeless.

My father went to all HEARTS home games as a boy in the 1930s/40s, never missed a game, a real Hearts supporter, but  bizarrely as was the way back in the day .... an alternate weeks he went to Easter Road!!!  

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Surprised you got away with that! 

I suppose, many years from now, our grandkids will be wearing the scarves and badges we wore in 2012

They did break a window, to be fair. Bloody hopeless.

That Bauld guy?

Couldn't hit a barn door from six inches

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

My father went to all HEARTS home games as a boy in the 1930s/40s, never missed a game, a real Hearts supporter, but  bizarrely as was the way back in the day .... an alternate weeks he went to Easter Road!!!  

My grandad did that too.

Imagine that today!  :vrface:

Nookie Bear
Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

Seems to be a common thing back then. Cheaper, nothing else to do, no aggro, no games on tv. 

I wonder if they “supported” both teams or just enjoyed it as a game without caring who wins. 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

That Bauld guy?

Couldn't hit a barn door from six inches

He was no Ian Baird, that’s for sure. 

26 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Surprisingly lots of hearts fans from the early 1900s born

and brought up in leith 

There’s probably more Jambos in Leith than there is Hibs fans.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

He was no Ian Baird, that’s for sure. 

Yogi?  :rofl: 

Loved the bloke at the time, like .

Looking back, my wife has more ball skills than Ian.

Perhaps this is now a talking point for the Shed? 

Lobey Dosser
3 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Dads a Celtic fan, his dad Partick Thistle. Mums side are Rangers. Just me going it solo as a jambo.

I'm in the same boat. Only Jambo in an entirely Celtic-supporting, Glaswegian family. 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Seems to be a common thing back then. Cheaper, nothing else to do, no aggro, no games on tv. 

I wonder if they “supported” both teams or just enjoyed it as a game without caring who wins. 

I think it was an Edinburgh thing, whilst he was a Hearts supporter and would always want them to win against all others, he like many others would want the other Edinburgh team to beat outsiders!

Different times but perhaps not that bad! Certainly wherever I’ve lived I’ve always taken an interest in the local football team!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

There’s probably more Jambos in Leith than there is Hibs fans.

One of my best friends is a Hibby who was born in Stewart Terrace.  :facepalm:

Go figure.