Did i dream this????

Benny Factor

Benny Factor

After the unforgettable season in 1986, i'm positive that after the end of the Cup Final against the Sheep that The Hearts Song was played over the PA system at Hampden. Being only 10 at the time, my memory is a little hazy, but i'm sure it was played.

Was it played or was it a figment of my imagination?

After the unforgettable season in 1986, i'm positive that after the end of the Cup Final against the Sheep that The Hearts Song was played over the PA system at Hampden. Being only 10 at the time, my memory is a little hazy, but i'm sure it was played.

I was there but I have no recollection of this?

Only a Game

I remember that the bulk of the Hearts support were still in the stadium singing their hearts out long after the Aberdeen fans had gone but i dont think the Hearts song was played over the PA

I was 10 year old as well and I think I remember also it was played. Too young to drink and it is still hazey:)

I'd guess that there is no chance they would play the Hearts song at a neutral venue. People are probably getting confused because all the Hearts fans were singing it after the game.

Doctor FinnBarr

Deffo, we were refusing to leave so they played it then followed up with a thanks for coming but please go home now sort of message.

:confused:

Benny Factor
I'd guess that there is no chance they would play the Hearts song at a neutral venue. People are probably getting confused because all the Hearts fans were singing it after the game.

Anyone that was at the Scottish Cup game v Clyde in 2000 would've heard the Hearts song being played BEFORE the game.

Granted, there were more Hearts fans there than Clyde fans that day, but i never thought i'd hear The Hearts Song being played at an away game(and a competitive one at that).

Winston Ingram

Aha, Clyde... Jackson and Wales, right? Stopped off in a snooker club just outside Stirling and had a Jimmy Riddle beside Stephen Hendry (he owned the place). Asked what he thought about the game and he replied: "Well, if they can't beat Clyde then they might as well chuck it."

A strange reply from a professional sportsman. Next time he lost to someone outside the top 10 in the world, he didn't "chuck it"!!

Re. Hampden. It has got on my goat that after recent cup final wins for Celtic (more than once) and Hibs, You'll Never Walk Alone and Sunshine on Leith have been played over the tannoy. We got the New Radicals.. was ok at the time, but why no Hearts song?

Anyone that was at the Scottish Cup game v Clyde in 2000 would've heard the Hearts song being played BEFORE the game.

Granted, there were more Hearts fans there than Clyde fans that day, but i never thought I'd hear The Hearts Song being played at an away game(and a competitive one at that).

That was an excellent day. Did we take a good 4 or 5 thousand? Hearts on three sides anyway with Clyde in one half of the main stand.

We went for a drink in that mental architectural experiment building and then stopped in a place I'd never heard of before or since called Condor ( I think anyway, hazy recollections of being clapped into and out of a pub by Huns :eek: )

Can't remember the Hearts song being played though.

I'm pretty sure it was played against Dundee at Dens park before some meaningless game. There had been Hearts under 11s v Dundee under 11s before kick off and Hearts won, they asked the kids if they'd like a song played since they won and they asked for the Hearts song

shaun.lawson
Aha, Clyde... Jackson and Wales, right? Stopped off in a snooker club just outside Stirling and had a Jimmy Riddle beside Stephen Hendry (he owned the place). Asked what he thought about the game and he replied: "Well, if they can't beat Clyde then they might as well chuck it."

A strange reply from a professional sportsman. Next time he lost to someone outside the top 10 in the world, he didn't "chuck it"!!

Re. Hampden. It has got on my goat that after recent cup final wins for Celtic (more than once) and Hibs, You'll Never Walk Alone and Sunshine on Leith have been played over the tannoy. We got the New Radicals.. was ok at the time, but why no Hearts song?

Clyde are a classy little club: their programme's the business too! (said he while donning an anorak and reading the latest issue of Groundhoppers' Monthly...). Re: Hendry's response: well, few of us have ever been convinced of the depth of his commitment to the club, have we? That said though, I can understand his comments: a perfectionist like him expects to sweep away inferiors as a broom does dust, and I'm sure that's how he'd have viewed such a tie: minnows v experienced SPL side, and something very wrong if that SPL side didn't go through.

It could've been a banana skin - Clyde were top of Div Two at the time, as I recall - but they shot themselves in the foot, and it was all over in the first seven minutes.

tartofmidlothian
Re: Hendry's response: well, few of us have ever been convinced of the depth of his commitment to the club, have we?

Not approaching him to help head up the campaign, then? ;)

shaun.lawson
Not approaching him to help head up the campaign, then? ;)

It's on a list of things to do. :)

Memories of a previous thread on this which suggested that Hearts were given the opportunity to bring along the music of their choice but didn't bother.

Hopefully this will be put right when we win the cup in 2009, on our way to the Champions League. It could still happen.

Salvatori5

Was definitely played on the tannoy at Hampden before the 87 semi against St Mirren. A song was played for both teams around 30mins before kick off.

Winston Ingram

The pictures from behind the goal at the 1986 final, with the team saluting the fans, take some beating. Incredible scene. Must have been 40,000 Hearts fans in a crowd of 62,000 (I think).

This playing teams' songs before kick-off in semis and finals has recently apparently been re-introduced. I'm never in the ground early enough for this although I do recall the semi with Celtic in '05... Tony Christie's Amarillo with "**** Hibs" at the appropriate part in the song!!

Salvatori may recall, he was bounding up the stairs at the same time as myself... :P

I'm pretty sure it was played against Dundee at Dens park before some meaningless game. There had been Hearts under 11s v Dundee under 11s before kick off and Hearts won, they asked the kids if they'd like a song played since they won and they asked for the Hearts song

i was at that game.cant remember score or anything just them playing the song...

Archived