Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chester copperpot

Messi v Ronaldo

Recommended Posts

CJGJ

They are both wonderful players and 2 of the best the world has seen...you can never be definitive about the best in history but they are both in the discussion

 

Personally it's Messi for me but that is just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ

 

It is nice to see 2 greats in the same era and both seem dedicated to their craft as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ramrod
3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Don’t really get the argument about doing it in other countries. Going to Juventus and winning the league is hardly a huge achievement. He wasn’t top scorer last season and is 5 goals behind the top scorer this season.

He's delivered in 3 of the best leagues in the world and in European competitions for the 3 clubs . Picking out 1 stat and running with it  , lol 

how about the 100  other  stats that confirm the guys a master craftsman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
karipidis
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

So he didn't score 40 plus goals in the EPL then and win an international title. 

 

I think Messi would do okay in England. 24 goals in 32 games against EPLs top 6 sides, and Ronaldo scores 28 in 70 games against the EPLs top 6 sides. Messi has scored more against them than Wayne Rooney has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
karipidis
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

So he didn't score 40 plus goals in the EPL then and win an international title. 

 

I think Messi would do okay in England. 24 goals in 32 games against EPLs top 6 sides, and Ronaldo scores 28 in 70 games against the EPLs top 6 sides. Messi has scored more against them than Wayne Rooney has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bull's-eye

What's that dodgy Spanish doctor's name again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFK-1

I feel a downside for Messi is that he has spent his entire career at Barcelona playing for a dominant money side in a league that's overall less competitive than others such as England or Italy.

 

I think Ronaldo left Real because his massive ego is always looking at the record books. Clarence Seedorf is the only player to have won 3 Champions League trophies at 3 different clubs. Ronaldo and his ego want to match that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roxy Hearts

Ronaldo for me and done it at different clubs and countries. Done it more at international level too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

And?  Two of the biggest/richest clubs in the world, and then went to a club that had won their domestic title for the seventh consecutive year.  Quite the challenge that! The only reason Madrid didn't dominate Spain during his spell there was entirely down to Messi & friends.

 

I don't get the argument either. Stay at a club your entire career, playing with different players, under different coaches adopting different styles, all while adapting your own style but still putting up ridic scoring stats, and it's held against you.  lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bull's-eye
2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I think Messi would do okay in England. 24 goals in 32 games against EPLs top 6 sides, and Ronaldo scores 28 in 70 games against the EPLs top 6 sides. Messi has scored more against them than Wayne Rooney has. 

Playing with Spain's finest coach and players. 

 

I fancy my own chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZanderMIM

What about Messi & Ronaldo? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TurboT

They won about 10 Ballon D’ors in a row between them and took football to another level.  Every year the question was which one of the two would win.

 

For me, it’s Ronaldo who is the best but Messi is unbelievable also and I could make a case for him too.

 

It used to be a good striker was someone who scored 1 every 2 games and a great striker scored 2 in 3.  These guys have been pretty much getting a goal a game for years and are miles ahead of everyone else. Let’s just enjoy them both for the last few years of their careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NB GIN
2 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

 

 

Sorry to start this again but it's been bothering me.

 

Messi is possibly the best of all time:

 

Ronaldo is possibly the best of all time:

 

Messi has stayed with the same team for all time, Ronaldo has challenged himself by moving teams, even when he was 34 

 

Arguments as to who's better? Would be a nice distraction for once. 

 

 

Messi is the best full stop. 
 

Anybody that thinks Ronaldo is a better player needs help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFK-1
1 minute ago, NB GIN said:

Messi is the best full stop. 
 

Anybody that thinks Ronaldo is a better player needs help 

 

I think anybody who thinks they can say that and be taken seriously needs as much help with their out of control ego as Ronaldo does. And i'm not talking about a comparison of their abilities 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chester copperpot
8 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Messi is the best full stop. 
 

Anybody that thinks Ronaldo is a better player needs help 

I think theres discussion here mate. It ain't plain sailing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate

Wighton or Vanecek?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr 3 Putt
3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Wighton or Vanecek?

Stockton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazio
31 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Playing with Spain's finest coach and players. 

 

I fancy my own chances.

Maybe you could point out when Ronaldo has played in a team full of journey men and diddies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
King prawn

I must be in the minority but whenever I hear maradona mentioned in a “greatest of all time” conversation I can’t help but think :cornette:

 

Can name 5 better than him immediately..

 

Pele

Zidane

Cruyff

Messi

Ronaldo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It should have been ten

Ronaldo couldn’t lace Messi’s boots :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr 3 Putt
1 minute ago, King prawn said:

I must be in the minority but whenever I hear maradona mentioned in a “greatest of all time” conversation I can’t help but think :cornette:

 

Can name 5 better than him immediately..

 

Pele

Zidane

Cruyff

Messi

Ronaldo 

No doubting he was class but Ronaldo and Messi have done it over a length that's probably not been seen before. Like what they guys have done is ridiculous. IMO what they have done probably won't be matched. But Zidane is still the greatest for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IveSeenTheLight

For a long long time, I was in the Messi camp.

Now though, I think Ronaldo just edges it, for some of the good points raised earlier.

 

Messi won 4 Ballon D’Ors in a row, unprecedented and with 6 wins to Ronaldo’s 5, there are still arguments for him.

The fact that Ronaldo has done it in multiple leagues is a massive consideration.


I think Messi probably has more natural talent, but you cannot deny the work ethic or will power of Ronaldo to suceed.

 

one thing for sure, I think they in effect pushed each other to the greatness they have achieved.

 

For other players mentioned, Zinfandel was a favourite of mine and he undoubtedly had a couple of seasons where he was the best in the world, but not a patch on consistency or longevity of Messi or Ronaldo.

 

only Pelé really comes close.

 

For those that say Maradona, yes he was an unbelievable player, but he messed that all up by turning to drugs. You cannot condone or promote a player who has failed himself in this way. It’s why he’s now ostracised whilst Pelé for example is not. 

Messi’s first ever goal for Barcelona (against Getafe I think) was a thing of beauty and better than Maradonna’s goal against England.

 

Messi v Ronaldo, very close and.both fantastic players.

Ronaldo now (just) for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

Curious; what 'good points raised earlier'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevie1874
3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Maradona is the answer (a hybrid of the modern two), but if this is strictly Ronaldo v Messi then it has to be Ronaldo.  Great point made about having to prove yourself and maintain standards for different clubs. 

This all day long 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
6 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

No doubting he was class but Ronaldo and Messi have done it over a length that's probably not been seen before. Like what they guys have done is ridiculous. IMO what they have done probably won't be matched. But Zidane is still the greatest for me.

It has been seen before. Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele, Eusebio, Müller, Seeler, Van Basten, Romario all have ridiculous goals to games scoring records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
Spoiler

 

Messi is the correct answer. 

Statistics will prove this. 

 

Staying at one club is almost used as a bad trait. 

 

In modern times loyalty and staying with one club over a long period of time is unique and a quality clubs would die for. 

 

Ronaldo is brilliant tho. 

 

Only guy in the equation that is brilliant in the air. 

Pele, deigo, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc, only C Ronaldo stands out as good in the air. 

 

Fair doos. 

 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

 

It really is tho. 

No it isn't. C7 isn't even the best ever Ronaldo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Why is the general feeling that playing for more clubs is better than staying at one club? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazio
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

 

Messi is the correct answer. 

Statistics will prove this. 

 

Staying at one club is almost used as a bad trait. 

 

In modern times loyalty and staying with one club over a long period of time is unique and a quality clubs would die for. 

 

Ronaldo is brilliant tho. 

 

Only guy in the equation that is brilliant in the air. 

Pele, deigo, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc, only C Ronaldo stands out as good in the air. 

 

Fair doos. 

 

Pelé was a great header of the ball and scored loads with his head. Even more remarkable as he wasn’tparticularly tall. 

Edited by Tazio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
30 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

For a long long time, I was in the Messi camp.

Now though, I think Ronaldo just edges it, for some of the good points raised earlier.

 

Messi won 4 Ballon D’Ors in a row, unprecedented and with 6 wins to Ronaldo’s 5, there are still arguments for him.

The fact that Ronaldo has done it in multiple leagues is a massive consideration.


I think Messi probably has more natural talent, but you cannot deny the work ethic or will power of Ronaldo to suceed.

 

one thing for sure, I think they in effect pushed each other to the greatness they have achieved.

 

For other players mentioned, Zinfandel was a favourite of mine and he undoubtedly had a couple of seasons where he was the best in the world, but not a patch on consistency or longevity of Messi or Ronaldo.

 

only Pelé really comes close.

 

For those that say Maradona, yes he was an unbelievable player, but he messed that all up by turning to drugs. You cannot condone or promote a player who has failed himself in this way. It’s why he’s now ostracised whilst Pelé for example is not. 

Messi’s first ever goal for Barcelona (against Getafe I think) was a thing of beauty and better than Maradonna’s goal against England.

 

Messi v Ronaldo, very close and.both fantastic players.

Ronaldo now (just) for me.

Maradona turn to drugs thro painkillers because of the treatment he endured. Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted two minutes back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Georgecowie

Messi. That Pele montage is unbelievable. In other who is the best news, who is the current king in the North? Main, Cosgrove or Mckay? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Maradona turn to drugs thro painkillers because of the treatment he endured. Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted two minutes back then.

Aye, the treatment players got from defenders pre 1990's was brutal plus they were playing on tattie fields in comparison to today's carpets. They guys just dusted themselves and got on with it, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DS98

Simply put.

 

If Ronaldo had the burden of Messi’s small build and natural physicality, he would’ve been a half decent player at best. 
 

Now imagine if Messi was born with Ronaldo’s God given pace, build and physicality? Unthinkable really. 
 

For pure talent, Messi every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i8hibsh
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No it isn't. C7 isn't even the best ever Ronaldo.

 

His stats speak for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AUGUST11

I do enjoy the argument that Ronaldo isn't as naturally gifted as messi yet has had to work harder, I can only imagine this is based on the fact messi is better or is it because he looks in physically better shape? Either way it has no bearings on the fact messi has done better in the head to heads here 

 

both have been surrounded by great players their whole career as anyone at that level has but messi has a clear win for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i8hibsh
6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Why is the general feeling that playing for more clubs is better than staying at one club? 

 

 

 

 

He has never left his comfort zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
benny

Maradona.

Pele.

Cruyff.

Platini.

Zidane

In my day

Always in the Messi camp but Ronaldo been the best recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i8hibsh

Almost no daylight between their goals per game ratio but I would like to see their assists per game stats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
karipidis
6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Why is the general feeling that playing for more clubs is better than staying at one club? 

 

 

It’s a bizarre argument. Giggs treated like a hero for staying loyal to Man Utd his whole career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rattatooi

Sometimes wonder what it would have been like to see them both in the same team. I’m sure there would be focus on how Messi is the team player and Ronaldo isn’t - which this scenario might highlight, but just think what it would look like if they clicked..!! They might have set records that could NEVER be matched.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
karipidis
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Almost no daylight between their goals per game ratio but I would like to see their assists per game stats. 

Yes there is.


Ronaldo has 725 goals in 998 games. Goal every 1.38 games.
Messi has 696 goals in 853 games. Goal every 1.22 games.

 

On assists Messi has 289 and Ronaldo has 220. Messi has played 145 games less. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debut 4
10 hours ago, Arry said:

Messi ,,,,Ronaldo is a spoiled brat.

Who gave a 30 grand tip to the staff at a Greek restaurant during a family get together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff

It's interesting that Ronaldo gets major credit for Portugal's Euro success.

 

If I remember correctly he had a pretty average tournament (allbeit he scored a few against the lesser teams) and missed the majority of the final.

 

I'd have said Nani or Pepe were the best players for them during that campaign.

 

When you see Messi's international team mates it shouldn't shock you that they've won nothing. Willy Caballero, Marcus Rojo and Nicolas Otamendi... Jesus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Who gave a 30 grand tip to the staff at a Greek restaurant during a family get together.  

 

Nice guy off the pitch so I've read, however on the pitch he can be a right dick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla

Messi needs to switch allegiances to san marino and win the world cup single handed to be considered the best iirc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light

Messi clear win for me. He doesn’t even play as a striker and hasn’t for some time.

 

Pretty much every top player/legend of the game says the same.

 

That’s good enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i8hibsh
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Yes there is.


Ronaldo has 725 goals in 998 games. Goal every 1.38 games.
Messi has 696 goals in 853 games. Goal every 1.22 games.

 

On assists Messi has 289 and Ronaldo has 220. Messi has played 145 games less. 

 

 

 

Ronaldo has playes in 4 top leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ominous
9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I feel a downside for Messi is that he has spent his entire career at Barcelona playing for a dominant money side in a league that's overall less competitive than others such as England or Italy.

 

I think Ronaldo left Real because his massive ego is always looking at the record books. Clarence Seedorf is the only player to have won 3 Champions League trophies at 3 different clubs. Ronaldo and his ego want to match that.

As good as Ronaldo was at Madrid and probably the best player they ever had I dont think he would ever be a bigger name than Raul there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFK-1
5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

As good as Ronaldo was at Madrid and probably the best player they ever had I dont think he would ever be a bigger name than Raul there. 

 

I doubt he cares about that. Being the most popular player at Real doesn't get you into the record books. Winning the Champions league at 3 different clubs does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ominous

When I watch messi and Ronaldo I think they are both unbelievable players but I have no liking for them they are like robots. Ronaldhino, Raul, Brazil Ronaldo were players who make you love the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ominous
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

 

I doubt he cares about that. Being the most popular player at Real doesn't get you into the record books. Winning the Champions league at 3 different clubs does.

I agree with you he probably doesn't care about that at all.  I dont agree with people saying he is better than messi because he plays in different leagues though. I think messi stays with Barca is his genuine love for that club and he doesn't need to prove himself anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...