Messi v Ronaldo

chester copperpot

30 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Zidane was technically better than both. 

Messi is all left foot. 

Ronaldo barely has a left foot. 

Zidane had two equally strong feet and could score from anywhere with either. 

Of course there's more to a game of football than just being good at attacking. Defending is 50% of the game. Zidane could tackle, win possession, win headers. A far more all round player than those two. He could probably have played any position in attack, Midfield or defence and still be the best player on the park. 

I agree Zidane was a truly exceptional talent. Kevin De Bruyne is a very similar player, while a bit to go yet to match Zidane's achievements.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flaps_98

• luckyBatistuta

• Bazzas right boot

• karipidis

40 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I agree Zidane was a truly exceptional talent. Kevin De Bruyne is a very similar player, while a bit to go yet to match Zidane's achievements.

De Bruyne is a good player but will never reach the level Zidane did. 

I can't think of any player in my lifetime that has bossed so many games at the pinnacle of the sport than Zidane. Iniesta is probably the only one that comes remotely close in that respect. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I can't think of any player in my lifetime that has bossed so many games at the pinnacle of the sport than Zidane. Iniesta is probably the only one that comes remotely close in that respect. 

I don't know how old you are but Maradona could run a game. Was Zidane better than Maradona - I'm not so sure he was but I think both were better than Messi and Ronaldo.

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

I don't know how old you are but Maradona could run a game. Was Zidane better than Maradona - I'm not so sure he was but I think both were better than Messi and Ronaldo.

I was born in the later 80's so Maradona was before my time. Maradona made sides, what he did with Argentina and Napoli was incredible. 

SuperstarSteve

Love both but it’s ronaldo for me. Stats don’t lie. 

Majority of arguments for choosing messi over Ronaldo that I’ve heard from friends/colleagues Is that Ronaldo is arrogant and messi isn’t. Horrible argument that speaks volumes, as that reason has nothing to do with football or their ability. 

2 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Majority of arguments for choosing messi over Ronaldo that I’ve heard from friends/colleagues Is that Ronaldo is arrogant and messi isn’t. Horrible argument that speaks volumes, as that reason has nothing to do with football or their ability. 

What stats? 

On 22/02/2020 at 22:03, JFK-1 said:

Indeed Ronaldo is an ego maniac more interested in himself than his team but it's not a who is the nicer guy question. As far as footballing ability goes I would say there's really nothing between them. Each has his abilities which are different in some respects but even themselves out.

Take this as an example. There is no way Messi could do this. Look at the height he gets into the leap, the timing, the athleticism and sheer skill is incredible. But then Messi can do things Ronaldo couldn't. It's a tie.

Assuming you didn't see Messi's header against Man Utd in the Champions League Final then? 

Lionel-Messi-and-Rio-Ferdinand.jpg

nintchdbpict000004184707.jpg

Edited by AndyNic

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Zidane was technically better than both. 

Messi is all left foot. 

Ronaldo barely has a left foot. 

Zidane had two equally strong feet and could score from anywhere with either. 

Of course there's more to a game of football than just being good at attacking. Defending is 50% of the game. Zidane could tackle, win possession, win headers. A far more all round player than those two. He could probably have played any position in attack, Midfield or defence and still be the best player on the park. 

I'll take it a step further.... 

Scholes is even more all rounded. 

Under rated was Scholes. 

Perfect, if not the best team player ever imo. 

Imagine 

Scholes and Zidane tucked in behind Ronaldo. 😱😱😱

No place for Messi.. Unbalance the side!!! 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

The stats all point towards Messi. 

😂😂😂

Cracking opening line. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Pirlo, Totti, nedved, Xavi, modric, (the Liverpool and Madrid midfielder was fantastic, I forget his name) all spring to mind. 

Scholes as well. 

None, including the fantastic Zidane have the stats of Messi or Ronaldo, when you break it down at least in the modern era no one is even close to thier achievements and more importantly for the length of time they have done it. 

Their longevity is what, imo makes it a straight fight between they two. 

12 years or so being the best (or best 2) in the world. 

Incredible imo and is what makes them stand out over all the other very good, great and world class players. 

Thier achievments and stats over that time are incredibe, Messi isn't even a striker, incredible x5. 

4 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

The stats do lie if if you’re choosing Ronaldo.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Pirlo, Totti, nedved, Xavi, modric, (the Liverpool and Madrid midfielder was fantastic, I forget his name) all spring to mind. 

Scholes as well. 

None, including the fantastic Zidane have the stats of Messi or Ronaldo, when you break it down at least in the modern era no one is even close to thier achievements and more importantly for the length of time they have done it. 

Their longevity is what, imo makes it a straight fight between they two. 

12 years or so being the best (or best 2) in the world. 

Incredible imo and is what makes them stand out over all the other very good, great and world class players. 

Thier achievments and stats over that time are incredibe, Messi isn't even a striker, incredible x5. 

This. Weirdly, his consistency means people take his genius for granted now. He keeps scoring even more outrageous goals just to remind everyone! Really he should win the world's best player award every year.

15 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Which stats specifically do you refer to?

SuperstarSteve
On 25/02/2020 at 18:49, Ari Gold said:

What stats? 

My bad I should’ve said achievements. Messi is much better playmaker but Club level and national level ronaldo achievements are better as far as am concerned. Probably slightly less overall cause messi sat in Spain his whole career. 

Doing it in one league and failing at national level isn’t enough for me to consider him better than ronaldo. It’ll always be subjective though. 

At 32 and 35 both still have so much to give it’s incredible really.

Edited by SuperstarSteve

38 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

My bad I should’ve said achievements. Messi is much better playmaker but Club level and national level ronaldo achievements are better as far as am concerned. Probably slightly less overall cause messi sat in Spain his whole career. 

Doing it in one league and failing at national level isn’t enough for me to consider him better than ronaldo. It’ll always be subjective though. 

At 32 and 35 both still have so much to give it’s incredible really.

Wow. Just wow.

By that logic Angelos Charisteas was a better forward than Alan Shearer.

Edited by Flaps_98

SuperstarSteve
15 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

Wow. Just wow.

By that logic Angelos Charisteas was a better forward than Alan Shearer.

Failing was abit harsh but we are comparing Messi to ronaldo and at national level ronaldo has achieved 2 to messi 0. 

The two greatest players in the world are highly considered to be maradona and pele. Both won national honours. Ronaldo has won national honours. Messi hasn’t. 

Shearer is not in the discussion as worlds best ever player to play the game.

Those 4 I mentioned are. Only 1 has failed to achieve what the other 3 have. 

One of many reason why i’d have him behind ronaldo. As a said before though it’ll always be subjective. Some will consider neither of those 4 to have been the best to play the game. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

It's almost impossible to argue against either of them really isn't it? I feel like people who watch a lot of football and have followed both closely will maybe slightly favour Messi as a footballer but it's just been great to watch them all these years tbh. For me they're miles ahead of anyone that's come before them. 

14 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Failing was abit harsh but we are comparing Messi to ronaldo and at national level ronaldo has achieved 2 to messi 0. 

The two greatest players in the world are highly considered to be maradona and pele. Both won national honours. Ronaldo has won national honours. Messi hasn’t. 

One of many reason why i’d have him behind ronaldo. As a said before though it’ll always be subjective. Some will consider neither of those 4 to have been the best to play the game. 

I judge them on who makes me go wow most when watching them play. No player has made me go wow as often as Messi has. 

For clarity I wasn't suggesting Shearer is in the discussion as best player ever (he is nowhere near it), I was just using your logic of players who have won national honours being clearly better than ones who haven't. Charisteas has won a national honour, Shearer hasn't. Shearer was 100 times the player Charisteas was.

Ultras Granata 1874

Messi and it's not even close. Has the vision and creativity of Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane. Outscores Ronaldo despite Ronaldo being a number 9 and Messi being a number 10 

Some of the reasons for folk picking Ronaldo are brilliant: 

Ronaldo scores more headers. Of course he does, he's 6.2, Messi is 5.7

Ronaldo has won international trophies. So has Olivier Giroud but that doesn't make him better than George Best 

Ronaldo has played in multiple leagues. Is that even a thing? if it is then I've severely overrated Maldini, Giggs and Totti. 

Messi hasn't tried other leagues. Nah but he's torn the best Italian and english teams a new one, year after year in the CL, so to say he'd have failed against your Bolognas and Brightons is utter nonsense

To sum upCounting goals and assistsin his entire career, Messi has generated 42 goals more than Cristiano Ronaldo, despite playing145 matches less.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Ultras Granata 1874 said:

Messi and it's not even close. Has the vision and creativity of Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane. Outscores Ronaldo despite Ronaldo being a number 9 and Messi being a number 10 

Some of the reasons for folk picking Ronaldo are brilliant: 

Ronaldo scores more headers. Of course he does, he's 6.2, Messi is 5.7

Ronaldo has won international trophies. So has Olivier Giroud but that doesn't make him better than George Best 

Ronaldo has played in multiple leagues. Is that even a thing? if it is then I've severely overrated Maldini, Giggs and Totti. 

Messi hasn't tried other leagues. Nah but he's torn the best Italian and english teams a new one, year after year in the CL, so to say he'd have failed against your Bolognas and Brightons is utter nonsense

To sum upCounting goals and assistsin his entire career, Messi has generated 42 goals more than Cristiano Ronaldo, despite playing145 matches less.

That last sentence imo is the difference. 

No emotion, feelings, etc. 

SuperstarSteve
3 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

I judge them on who makes me go wow most when watching them play. No player has made me go wow as often as Messi has. 

For clarity I wasn't suggesting Shearer is in the discussion as best player ever (he is nowhere near it), I was just using your logic of players who have won national honours being clearly better than ones who haven't. Charisteas has won a national honour, Shearer hasn't. Shearer was 100 times the player Charisteas was.

If I was to judge on the basis of who made me go wow more it would be ronaldo aswell. 

I’ve never seen him have a defeated mentality either unless I missed it which is very possible, but I can’t say the same about messi. 

I agree with pinilla regarding the majority of people who have watched both over the years would choose Messi. Certainly the majority I’ve come across anyway.

1 hour ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Are you including the League of Nations thing in Major European trophies? Surely the olympics is just as prestigious.

for what’s its worth, Messi got player of the tournament in a World Cup that a fairly average Argentina side got to the final of, and if Higuain didn’t fluff a huge chance would have a World Cup winners medal. Has also lost a shootout twice in the final of the Copa America, so if these fine margins had gone Messi’s way you would be saying he was the better player? 

Edited by karipidis

Ultras Granata 1874
22 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Are you including the League of Nations thing in Major European trophies? Surely the olympics is just as prestigious.

for what’s its worth, Messi got player of the tournament in a World Cup that a fairly average Argentina side got to the final of, and if Higuain didn’t fluff a huge chance would have a World Cup winners medal. Has also lost a shootout twice in the final of the Copa America, so if these fine margins had gone Messi’s way you would be saying he was the better player? 

Good points. For me the nations cup is up there with the charity shield or club world cup. You get a trophy with a big MEH written on it.

And when Portugal won the euros Ronaldo only played the 1st few minutes. Hardly man of the match territory

SuperstarSteve
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

I wouldn’t be saying he is the better player because I don’t base ronaldo being better just on national trophies alone but I certainly think messi would have more of an argument if he had achieved something at national level.

Not that I would have anything against anyone suggesting messi is the best player ever, I would just have to disagree as i’d have him behind ronaldo. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Cristiano Ronaldo isnt even the best Ronaldo of all time.  

😂 Have to agree and by the same token Messi isn't the best Lionel of all time, Ritchie is. 

I'd order the greats Messi, Pele, Maradona, Colquhoun, Best. 

Edited by Smack
Even though Best played for the Vermin

2 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

First thing, are we really counting the Nations League as a major tournament?? A competition created to essentially jazz up International friendlies, and try and further break up the monotony of the European Championship finals, by essentially gifting places to teams that are quite simply not good enough to qualify in the first instance (so so wish Scotland are one of these btw...) 

That being the case, your not then telling me that is any less of a tinpot tournament than football at the Olympics, which Messi won with Argentina? 

Using International trophies to be something that sways this debate one way or the other is totally flawed. From what i remember Ronaldo was shot hungry and very average in Euro 2016 but Portugal managed to win it, Messi took Argentina into 2 Copa America Finals and were beaten on penalties twice, they got to the World Cup final and even though he was given player of the tournament they got beat in extra time.. 

Ultimatley it hasn't happened for him at the finals of International level, you cant get away from that,. Ronaldo does have a slightly better average goal return for his country.  However with the above facts and a goal every 2 games at International level and the stats below,  it is ludicrous to have even considered the words failing. 

690.jpg

The 'Doing it in one league' chat doesn't make any sense to me, where it somehow belittles what he has done at club level as he has done it all for one club, suggesting it is inferior to Ronaldo who has played in 3 or 4 countries. 

Its worth remembering that in their peaks they and their respective teams competed against each other in la liga every week for 9 years and that supposed 'easy ride you get playing all your career in Spain' allowed the all conquering Ronaldo to win 2 titles at Real. 2 out of Nine!! 

Ronaldo is a goal scoring phenom, that cant be denied. But the facts are Messi is a more clinical goalscorer (more goals per games) , and is so much more rounded as a builder an creator for his team. 

Have you ever watched a game in which Ronaldo has not scored but has been man of the match and dictated a win for his side? 

14 hours ago, Fatpat88 said:

First thing, are we really counting the Nations League as a major tournament?? A competition created to essentially jazz up International friendlies, and try and further break up the monotony of the European Championship finals, by essentially gifting places to teams that are quite simply not good enough to qualify in the first instance (so so wish Scotland are one of these btw...) 

That being the case, your not then telling me that is any less of a tinpot tournament than football at the Olympics, which Messi won with Argentina? 

Using International trophies to be something that sways this debate one way or the other is totally flawed. From what i remember Ronaldo was shot hungry and very average in Euro 2016 but Portugal managed to win it, Messi took Argentina into 2 Copa America Finals and were beaten on penalties twice, they got to the World Cup final and even though he was given player of the tournament they got beat in extra time.. 

Ultimatley it hasn't happened for him at the finals of International level, you cant get away from that,. Ronaldo does have a slightly better average goal return for his country.  However with the above facts and a goal every 2 games at International level and the stats below,  it is ludicrous to have even considered the words failing. 

690.jpg

The 'Doing it in one league' chat doesn't make any sense to me, where it somehow belittles what he has done at club level as he has done it all for one club, suggesting it is inferior to Ronaldo who has played in 3 or 4 countries. 

Its worth remembering that in their peaks they and their respective teams competed against each other in la liga every week for 9 years and that supposed 'easy ride you get playing all your career in Spain' allowed the all conquering Ronaldo to win 2 titles at Real. 2 out of Nine!! 

Ronaldo is a goal scoring phenom, that cant be denied. But the facts are Messi is a more clinical goalscorer (more goals per games) , and is so much more rounded as a builder an creator for his team. 

Have you ever watched a game in which Ronaldo has not scored but has been man of the match and dictated a win for his side? 

Very well summed up. Everything I've been trying to say in this thread. Bottom line is people will like what they like. I much prefer to watch Messi. So easy on the eye when he is running with the ball or playing a through pass that no one else on the pitch or even in the stands can see. Others will prefer Ronaldo and that is fine. My problem comes with people using things like Messi only ever playing for Barca as a stick to beat him with.

14 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Imagine being barcelona's standout player for close to 15 years and folk using it against you :lol:

Most decorated Barca player ever and their greatest goalscorer. But if he had left to sign for Arsenal for instance and scored a few goals then folk would say he is better than Ronaldo as he played in another league! 😆

On 25/02/2020 at 19:36, Smith's right boot said:

I'll take it a step further.... 

Scholes is even more all rounded. 

Under rated was Scholes. 

Perfect, if not the best team player ever imo. 

Imagine 

Scholes and Zidane tucked in behind Ronaldo. 😱😱😱

No place for Messi.. Unbalance the side!!! 

Scholes is probably my favourite player, just so, so clever.

Messi's 2nd goal at this game (7:40 into the video) is something that Ronaldo could never do. The Barcelona players didn't even bother supporting him. The only other player I've seen do something similar is Maradonna.

If we're posting goat Messi moments then his performance against zaragoza circa 2010 was one of the best individual performances I've seen. Dragged them to a win despite Zlatan going through some kind of breakdown. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

If we're posting goat Messi moments then his performance against zaragoza circa 2010 was one of the best individual performances I've seen. Dragged them to a win despite Zlatan going through some kind of breakdown. 

One of my favourite Messi goals ever, the one when he outstrengths Jarosik in midfield then takes off. 👏

1 hour ago, Flaps_98 said:

One of my favourite Messi goals ever, the one when he outstrengths Jarosik in midfield then takes off. 👏

The one in the Spanish cup final a couple years ago was amazing as well. And the one against Bayern where Boateng just fell over. A once in a lifetime player.