Messi v Ronaldo

chester copperpot

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

and he didn’t step up in that final.

He did actually. Higuian missed the chances he set up for him. Ronaldo didn't step up for the Euros final did he? But you're giving him all the credit.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flaps_98

• luckyBatistuta

• Bazzas right boot

• karipidis

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

And there is no way Argentina would've made a World Cup final and 2 Copa America finals without Messi in the squad.

Correct, but

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Portugal are a totally different team without him on the pitch, no way would they have won that tournament if he wasn’t in that squad. The greats lift a team around them. 

Not sure I agree.  They've had the same coach, Santos, who has rigidly stuck to his guns in terms of style of play for six years now. A defensively sound but hardly entertaining side  They won the final game without him, essentially scored by his replacement.!

Folks get his idea that because some player scored a goal vs England (I'll concede it was a great one) some 34 years ago modern day players should be slaloming through the best organised teams of today. To have reached that WC final with that team and gone that far into the game was an achievement in itself!

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

He did actually. Higuian missed the chances he set up for him. Ronaldo didn't step up for the Euros final did he? But you're giving him all the credit.

Not how I remember it, thought he was just average.

During the final, Messi only had 66 touches of the ball, with a passing accuracy of just 70 percent. 

These are not the figures of a player who is supposed to be the greatest on the planet.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

During the final, Messi only had 66 touches of the ball, with a passing accuracy of just 70 percent. 

These are not the figures of a player who is supposed to be the greatest on the planet.

I thought he was decent in the final, not as good as he can be but the best chance of Argentina winning anyway. But regardless of if he was good or not Ronaldo never played in the Euros final so how can you say he dragged Portugal to win it?

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If Ronaldo wins the champs league with Juve he is the goat. That’d be league titles + champions leagues with 3 clubs in the 3 top European football countries. 

Portugal have to be among the favourites for the Euros too... 

Ronaldo wins on diversity of his achievements, Messi has just repeated the same achievements at Barcelona 

It could be argued that repeating it for one club is more difficult than doing it for different clubs. 

Still not clear why staying at one club is a negative ( or positive) in this debate. 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Folks get his idea that because some player scored a goal vs England (I'll concede it was a great one) some 34 years ago modern day players should be slaloming through the best organised teams of today. To have reached that WC final with that team and gone that far into the game was an achievement in itself!

20 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Maradona won the title with Boca, even though they hadn’t won it for around 5/6 years, with an average squad.

Maradona won the title with Napoli, even though they had never won it before, with an average squad.

Maradona won the World Cup, even though they were nowhere in the last one, with an average squad.

A lot more about him than just scoring the best goal ever in the biggest tournament ever.

Anyway, it’s about Messi v Ronaldo. Ronaldo please

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

If using that logic it's 66 more touches in a wc final that Ronaldo will ever  have. 

Also, if you are saying that 1 game is the difference of Messi being the greatest then imo your logic is flawed. 

15 years at the top but you seem to be saying because Argentina lost the final it means Messi cannot be the greatest. 

If they'd won that, you'd be ok with Messi being championed as the best? 

Teams win and lose tournaments. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

If using that logic it's 66 more touches in a wc final that Ronaldo will ever  have. 

Also, if you are saying that 1 game is the difference of Messi being the greatest then imo your logic is flawed. 

15 years at the top but you seem to be saying because Argentina lost the final it means Messi cannot be the greatest. 

The logic being used is Ronaldo is the greatest because he didn't play in a Euro final his country won. Messi can't be the greatest because he played averagely in a World Cup final his country didn't win.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

I thought he was decent in the final, not as good as he can be but the best chance of Argentina winning anyway. But regardless of if he was good or not Ronaldo never played in the Euros final so how can you say he dragged Portugal to win it?

Never said he dragged them to win the final, you made that up. I said I don’t think they would have won the tournament, if he wasn’t in the squad.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Never said he dragged them to win the final, you made that up. I said I don’t think they would have won the tournament, if he wasn’t in the squad.

You said to be the greatest you have to carry your club and country to titles. You are saying Ronaldo is the greatest therefore you are saying he carried (dragged) them to the Euros.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

He has, but to be at the top and be considered as the greatest, imo you have to be able to carry your club and country to the top....

Messi

Maradona

Pele

Ronaldo

Zidane

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I never said he would be the greatest if they won that game. Already said who I think the greatest is and why.

1 minute ago, Flaps_98 said:

The logic being used is Ronaldo is the greatest because he didn't play in a Euro final his country won. Messi can't be the greatest because he played averagely in a World Cup final his country didn't win.

🤔

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

You said to be the greatest you have to carry your club and country to titles. You are saying Ronaldo is the greatest therefore you are saying he carried (dragged) them to the Euros.

Changing it again, last time you said that I said he dragged them to win the final, just keep twisting my words.

He has, but to be at the top and be considered as the greatest, imo you have to be able to carry your club and country to the top....

Messi

Maradona

Pele

Ronaldo

Zidane

Never at any point said Ronaldo is the greatest, you’re making it up again. I said I’d take him over Messi, how that turns into he’s the greatest, god only knows. What I put above with the ticks is what the greatest (imo) have achieved. Messi just fell short of the rest, but still wouldn’t put him above Maradona even if he did win it.

17 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I think you need to watch that game's highlights again ... most of the time he's receiving the ball around the centre circle (ad often in his own half).  Why/  Because his team was absolutely bereft of anybody who could create.  No point in having great forwards if you can't get the ball to them.  When he does get the ball he's usually surrounded very closely I may add by 3/4 players.  Look who they're playing, in a WC Final, the Germans, utter mugs! They only got undone by a truly great WC Final goal in the 118th min or something.  Of course he could have scored but really I'm not sure what you're realistically expecting.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I never said he would be the greatest if they won that game. Already said who I think the greatest is and why.

🤔

Yeah, you're logic is based on club/ country and winning a international tournament from what I've seen. 

Your opinion is fine, your logic imo is very  flawed. 

The logic that you have to have won an international trophy or played for several clubs doesn't make any sense to me. 

That seems to be argument against Messi. 

August Landmesser
43 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You could also jail Messi

Yeah, for tax-dodging. Not quite as obnoxious...

Apart from all of that, it's clearly Messi*

*but really, it's Maradona.

IveSeenTheLight

Your discounting Maradona as the greatest because of how he entertained himself off the pitch🙀 and therefore not fit to lace the boots of a guy who hid in his own league his whole career. On that logic, Best and Messi must be way down the greatest list too. 

As someone to inspire young followers of football, then yes, Maradona is not an example to set.

Has Messi taken drugs? I was not aware of that and if so, then he should be ousted for it

7 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

As someone to inspire young followers of football, then yes, Maradona is not an example to set.

Has Messi taken drugs? I was not aware of that and if so, then he should be ousted for it

Growth hormones when he was a boy. 

Bazzas right boot

Messi and Ronaldinho are the two players that genuinely excited me in my football life. 

I've watched games just to see them. 

C Ronaldo, Ronaldo, lampard, Gerrard scholes, Iniesta, Nedved, Modric, Zidane,  zlatan, Henry amongst others are brilliant but none where as naturally gifted or as exciting as they two. . 

Maradona was a bit early for me but the reason he isn't in my list as the goat is that Messi and Ronaldo have been the best for a ridiculous amount of time. 

Their longevity propels them ahead of most. 

Many players are standout for 3-5 years, very few for 10 years plus, in fact Messi and C Ronaldo are almost unique in that regard. 

Both are outstanding. 

For Messi to be a support striker / playmaker and have goal  stats better than C Ronaldo tho just puts it into a little perspective. 

For me, Messi and Ronaldinho done things that aren't possible to normal humans, and they done it a lot, Messi ofc for far longer. 

Add that to Messi 's stats, he is the stand out of the modern era and for me the best player ever, although that is another debate. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

How many games did Portugal actually win in that tournament @The Euros?

1 game inside 90 minutes against pishy Wales.

Edited by ri Alban

Was discussing this with a mate on Saturday, for me Messi has more natural talent while Ronaldo is a bit like Beckham in that without an unmatched workrate he would have been pretty average.

One interesting video my mate mentioned was where they recorded ronaldo's eye movement when running a drill going past a defender, Ronaldo never looked at his or his opponents feet, or at the ball but instead he watched his opponents hips, seen where the defenders balance was going and instantly drove the other direction. Ronaldo was completely unaware that he even done that.

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Was discussing this with a mate on Saturday, for me Messi has more natural talent while Ronaldo is a bit like Beckham in that without an unmatched workrate he would have been pretty average.

One interesting video my mate mentioned was where they recorded ronaldo's eye movement when running a drill going past a defender, Ronaldo never looked at his or his opponents feet, or at the ball but instead he watched his opponents hips, seen where the defenders balance was going and instantly drove the other direction. Ronaldo was completely unaware that he even done that.

Looking at the hips is pretty common. 

Martial arts, rugby, football, most sports I think. 

Better indicator of the person's movements, if he wasn't aware of it, probably just instinct on his part. Not Suprising. 

For me Ronaldo has a more complete game than Messi so on that basis I'd opt for him.

But greatest ever - not so sure they're even the greatest their country has produced.

Maradona v Messi

Eusebio v Ronaldo

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

I think you need to watch that game's highlights again ... most of the time he's receiving the ball around the centre circle (ad often in his own half).  Why/  Because his team was absolutely bereft of anybody who could create.  No point in having great forwards if you can't get the ball to them.  When he does get the ball he's usually surrounded very closely I may add by 3/4 players.  Look who they're playing, in a WC Final, the Germans, utter mugs! They only got undone by a truly great WC Final goal in the 118th min or something.  Of course he could have scored but really I'm not sure what you're realistically expecting.

I’m not saying he was bad in the game, just poor by his standards.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, you're logic is based on club/ country and winning a international tournament from what I've seen. 

Your opinion is fine, your logic imo is very  flawed. 

The logic that you have to have won an international trophy or played for several clubs doesn't make any sense to me. 

That seems to be argument against Messi. 

That wasn’t my logic for stating who is the greatest, just highlighting a small negative against Messi compared to the other players who are up there in the running as the greatest of them all. 

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

On the field of play, he’s a fantastic watch for young players. As a whole package on and off the field, he’s a terrible role model. I think he was an absolute genius with a football, but the rest of his time, he’s a total scumbag. I don’t know if you’ve read his book, but give it a go, it’s pretty interesting stuff. He actually manages to come across even worse and I didn’t think that was possible. As just a player with a football at his feet though, he is god imo.

My next replies will be a while. Off for a sleep as I’ve been up since yesterday morning.

32 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

For me Ronaldo has a more complete game than Messi so on that basis I'd opt for him.

But greatest ever - not so sure they're even the greatest their country has produced.

Maradona v Messi

Eusebio v Ronaldo

Complete game?  I'm genuinely interested to hear what complete game in your books constitutes?  Complete game as far as a goal scorer goes, then I might agree but as an overall footballer able to create as well, absolutely no chance! Even in his early days at Madrid, Ronaldo could barely beat a man on the dribble, out wide.

29 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not saying he was bad in the game, just poor by his standards.

I think you've chosen the wrong descriptors. the narrative just keeps getting repeated until it's generally accepted; it's bollocks. He certainly wasn't poor, even by his own standards. Watch his highlights in that match and tell me what else he was supposed to realistically do. He was probably one of the three best players on display that day; others being Mascherano, and Schweisteiger, imo. They all had very good games.  it was an exceedingly tight match, finally decided by a peach of a cross and a memorable finish.

Anyway, I've been sucked into this debate when I really didn't want to, sadly.  Opinions of course but beyond actual personal preferences I do want to try and understand why folks genuinely believe Ronaldo is a better footballer.

5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

A goalscoring machine vs an all round genius. A massive natural talent v a guy with superhuman dedication and application. Apples v Oranges...Why do we need a GOAT?

Absolutely this! 

I don't understand why people get so territorial and defensive over this question. It's similar to people being a fan of an English premiership team that they only watch in Sky. Just enjoy it.

They are both phenomenal and great to watch. 

If Ronaldo hadn't had his knee problems, I think the debate would be more who is 2nd best behind him!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Maradona v Messi

Eusebio v Ronaldo

Passing - nope

Vision - nope

Dribbling - nope

Heading - yes

Goals - nope 

Assists - nope

Ronaldo is not a more complete player than Messi. He just isn’t.

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Flaps_98 said:

Growth hormones when he was a boy. 

Was that approved medication?

Many people take medication as part of their lives and I accept that some professionals may too.

But you cannot condone illegal banned substances

6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Portugal are a totally different team without him on the pitch, no way would they have won that tournament if he wasn’t in that squad. The greats lift a team around them. 

Portugal won one game in 90 minutes that whole tournament, and Ronaldo scored in 2 games, against Hungary and Wales. And he missed the majority of the final. Bit of a myth that he dragged his country to win the tournament.

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Was he ever found guilty of that?

Hasn't gone to court yet, but he paid almost half a million dollars hush money in an out-of-court settlement with the woman in question.

Not really the actions of a man with nothing to hide or a clean conscience.

A_A wehatethehibs
7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It could be argued that repeating it for one club is more difficult than doing it for different clubs. 

Still not clear why staying at one club is a negative ( or positive) in this debate. 

As I say it’s the diversity of achievements,   it takes more mentality to travel round, achieve greatness at 3 top clubs vs 3 totally different styles of defenders but continue to do the business against all comers, whereas Messi has stayed under his Barcelona blanket in his wee Barcelona jammies. Ronaldo must have played at more than double the number of different away grounds Messi has played at. Highbury, Anfield In United colours to the San Siro, Rome, Napoli, in a Juve shirt, home fans have witnessed Ronaldo demolish their teams around the continent on Saturday afternoons. Not to mention his Real days which are beyond belief. You could loosely compare it to Tyson Fury travelling away out to Germany and the USA, dishing out beatings and bringing the belts home. Wouldn’t it have been class to see Messi in England wearing something like a Liverpool shirt away at Old Trafford, or maybe an Inter shirt vs Milan, lifting leagues in other countries. Or lifting a trophy for his country so he is finally accepted there as a great rather than called a choker. I hope he gets one last chance to win over his national teams fans.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Messi

Maradona

Pele

Ronaldo

Zidane

Don't disagree but it's a stretch to say Pele and Zidane carried their teams to World Cup wins. They were part of great teams at international level. At domestic level Pele never played in any of the best leagues, while Zidane was part of great teams. And out of that lot, Ronaldo's Euro triumph was the least impressive as it's a much lesser tournament which has seen a greater variety of teams win it through putting a wee run together in the Finals. Portugal fall into that category along with Denmark and Greece.

That's why Maradona is still the best. He literally dragged his clubs and country to titles. Messi hasn't managed that - otherwise he'd considered the best ever I think. If we're assessing pure talent though and how consistently out of this world he's been for such a long time, it's hard to look past Messi as the best football player ever.

Edited by ToqueJambo

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Absolutely this! 

I don't understand why people get so territorial and defensive over this question. It's similar to people being a fan of an English premiership team that they only watch in Sky. Just enjoy it.

They are both phenomenal and great to watch. 

If Ronaldo hadn't had his knee problems, I think the debate would be more who is 2nd best behind him!

I’m one of those folk who get dragged in to this, but as you say, just enjoy them while you can. I’ll try harder😃

22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Don't disagree but it's a stretch to say Pele and Zidane carried their teams to World Cup wins. They were part of great teams at international level. At domestic level Pele never played in any of the best leagues, while Zidane was part of great teams. And out of that lot, Ronaldo's Euro triumph was the least impressive as it's a much lesser tournament which has seen a greater variety of teams win it through putting a wee run together in the Finals. Portugal fall into that category along with Denmark and Greece.

That's why Maradona is still the best. He literally dragged his clubs and country to titles. Messi hasn't managed that - otherwise he'd considered the best ever I think. If we're assessing pure talent though and how consistently out of this world he's been for such a long time, it's hard to look past Messi as the best football player ever.

None of those teams that Maradona won with were full of superstars. If you conducted a poll in Argentina who the greatest player ever was, Maradona would win in a landslide.

As I said, it's not even close. 

Thought Ronaldo was getting better as he got older? 

Screenshot_20200224_194937_com.twitter.android.jpg

Close the thread, mods. Debate over. 

Edited by Ari Gold

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As I say it’s the diversity of achievements,   it takes more mentality to travel round, achieve greatness at 3 top clubs vs 3 totally different styles of defenders but continue to do the business against all comers, whereas Messi has stayed under his Barcelona blanket in his wee Barcelona jammies. Ronaldo must have played at more than double the number of different away grounds Messi has played at. Highbury, Anfield In United colours to the San Siro, Rome, Napoli, in a Juve shirt, home fans have witnessed Ronaldo demolish their teams around the continent on Saturday afternoons. Not to mention his Real days which are beyond belief. You could loosely compare it to Tyson Fury travelling away out to Germany and the USA, dishing out beatings and bringing the belts home. Wouldn’t it have been class to see Messi in England wearing something like a Liverpool shirt away at Old Trafford, or maybe an Inter shirt vs Milan, lifting leagues in other countries. Or lifting a trophy for his country so he is finally accepted there as a great rather than called a choker. I hope he gets one last chance to win over his national teams fans.

That's one way too look at it. 

Another way is that in an era here footballers change alliegances like the weather changes and players jump ship for any reason, staying at one club and performing at the very top for a long lenght of time is unique. 

Makes him stand out above the rest. 

4 hours ago, Gavsy Van Gaverson said:

Passing - nope

Vision - nope

Dribbling - nope

Heading - yes

Goals - nope 

Assists - nope

Ronaldo is not a more complete player than Messi. He just isn’t.

Ronaldo has over 200 assists and 700 goals to his name and won over 30 trophies.... what’s nope about that???

Edited by Rudy T

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

That's one way too look at it. 

Another way is that in an era here footballers change alliegances like the weather changes and players jump ship for any reason, staying at one club and performing at the very top for a long lenght of time is unique. 

Makes him stand out above the rest. 

So you’d say the same about Scott Brown then? 😉

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Talking about top players...... 

Nae ***** else would want Brown. 

10 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Ronaldo has over 200 assists and 700 goals to his name and won over 30 trophies.... what’s nope about that???

Think the "nope" meant no, he doesn't beat Messi on goals and assists stats. Messi has 289 assists and 696 goals in 853 appearances -. Ronaldo has 220 assists and 725 goals in 1000 appearances.

10 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Only on Kickback do you see Lionel Messi compared to Scott Brown. 

2 hours ago, Flaps_98 said:

Think the "nope" meant no, he doesn't beat Messi on goals and assists stats. Messi has 289 assists and 696 goals in 853 appearances -. Ronaldo has 220 assists and 725 goals in 1000 appearances.

If it was purely based on stats there's several players who would be classed as better than both of them, the likes of Pele, Romario, Pukas, Muller to name a few.

Its been debated already but to play in Portugal England Spain and Italy, at the level Ronaldo has says a lot for the guy. Messi has played for the biggest team in Spain all his career, nothing to say he couldn't play in other countries but we've not seen it yet add in Madrid have won 4 of the last 6 champions leagues and Messi's international career isn't exactly glittering there's more than a suggestion he couldn't. The Barca midfield at one stage was the best in world and maybe the best ever, Ronaldo's had to carry Madrid on more than one occasion. If he wins the champs league again with Juve there's no questioning he's the best.

Its all about opinions but to suggest Ronaldo isn't a complete modern day footballer is clearly wrong. There's not much he can't do perhaps some things not as good as Messi but clearly other things better. 

brunoatemyhamster

Who would I rather see in the flesh, having the game of their life? 

Messi. 

Who would I rather have in my team, week in, week out? 

Ronaldo. 

Ronaldo has proven he can play and contribute to trophy winning teams in 3 top league. He's won the CL with two teams more than once. 

Messi is a fantastic player, but I have my doubts he would ever have been able to achieve what he has at any another club. 

We've been spoiled having the two of them at the same time. 

So the correct answer is obviously Wayne Rooney. 

Zidane was technically better than both. 

Messi is all left foot. 

Ronaldo barely has a left foot. 

Zidane had two equally strong feet and could score from anywhere with either. 

Of course there's more to a game of football than just being good at attacking. Defending is 50% of the game. Zidane could tackle, win possession, win headers. A far more all round player than those two. He could probably have played any position in attack, Midfield or defence and still be the best player on the park.