Jump to content
Scottie Wanshot.

Defence

Recommended Posts

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

If Souttar has comparable careers to any of those 3 he'll have achieved plenty

What did those three achieve? Levein, won nothing and injured most of his career and a few caps. Berra played in the lower echelons of English football, won nothing. Hughes got loads of caps for a low level international team and poor English teams, won nothing. He will be lucky to emulate any of those three, he’s well on his way though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t wait to see how these two futures pan out, at least Halkett can actually score a goal and win a header. Souttar is without doubt the most over rated player I’ve ever seen at our club and will achieve nothing in the game, much like his mentors Levein/Berra/Hughes.

I'm almost pretty sure that Soapy already has more international caps and already has had more good games in a Hearts jersey than Halkett will in his entire career. 👍 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Diego10
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What did those three achieve? Levein, won nothing and injured most of his career and a few caps. Berra played in the lower echelons of English football, won nothing. Hughes got loads of caps for a low level international team and poor English teams, won nothing. He will be lucky to emulate any of those three, he’s well on his way though.

Dearie me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm almost pretty sure that Soapy already has more international caps and already has had more good games in a Hearts jersey than Halkett will in his entire career. 👍 

One, where he cost a goal and was sent off. Halkett has played 20 games, scored 7 goals which is only a few less than Souttar and Berra have in 300 games. Souttar has been found out, injury prone and won’t play for a bigger team than us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Dearie me.  

Great insightful response 👍🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

One, where he cost a goal and was sent off. Halkett has played 20 games, scored 7 goals which is only a few less than Souttar and Berra have in 300 games. Souttar has been found out, injury prone and won’t play for a bigger team than us.

I couldn't care how many goals he's scored. He's a terrible Centerhalf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I couldn't care how many goals he's scored. He's a terrible Centerhalf. 

No worse than Souttar who can’t defend in any aspect of the game, without our TOP GOAL SCORER  Halkett we would be much worse off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

No worse than Souttar who can’t defend in any aspect of the game, without our TOP GOAL SCORER  Halkett we would be much worse off. 

The reason we're 12th and conceded a ridiculous number of goals, is because we've had Craig Halkett at Centerhalf. I don't think it can get any worse than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The reason we're 12th and conceded a ridiculous number of goals, is because we've had Craig Halkett at Centerhalf. I don't think it can get any worse than that. 

Hahahaha in about 15 games he’s played he’s at fault for them all? He’s missed  about two months, was he at fault? Souttar at fault for both on Saturday!!!! Berra cost about ten goals this season. Perriera about as much. Who’s fault was it we barely won a game from November 2018, including a 5 nil v Livi? ALL  HALKETTS fault no doubt 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈🤪.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahaha in about 15 games he’s played he’s at fault for them all? He’s missed  about two months, was he at fault? Souttar at fault for both on Saturday!!!! Berra cost about ten goals this season. Perriera about as much. Who’s fault was it we barely won a game from November 2018, including a 5 nil v Livi? ALL  HALKETTS fault no doubt 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈🤪.

He's played more games this season than anyone else ffs. He's rotten mate and if we're still in this league next season he'll be on the punt list without a doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's played more games this season than anyone else ffs. He's rotten mate and if we're still in this league next season he'll be on the punt list without a doubt. 

Wrong again. Uche and Clare have played more games and El Gato has played the same. Name the goals Halkett has been directly at fault for, compared to Berra/Perriera/Souttar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wrong again. Uche and Clare have played more games and El Gato has played the same. Name the goals Halkett has been directly at fault for, compared to Berra/Perriera/Souttar?

Halkett has played the most minutes of any defender this season in the league and we're 12th, having conceded 41 goals in 21 games he has played. What are you defending here? 

 

If you had half a scooby mate, you wouldn't need to asked me, you'd know yourself. 👍 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigsuperslim1874
On 16/02/2020 at 06:55, GinRummy said:

People arguing that the players can’t play the system is fair enough. Levein tried us in every formation imaginable with tactics changing regularly from one week to the next and they couldn’t do that either. The system will cost us goals but we’ll score more as well. No system can legislate for the ridiculous errors we are committing every single game or the fact all of our top players, Souttar, Halkett, Naismith, Boyce and Hickey were totally shite.

100% agree - particularly the bit regarding ridiculous errors. It’s not the tactics causing these - it’s goalie errors and individual defensive howitzers.
 

We all knew what we were getting in terms of this style of play and we just need to cut out the individual errors. Personally, I’d drop Souttar for Dikamona as Clevid and Halkett were pretty solid vs Dons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ford donald
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I couldn't care how many goals he's scored. He's a terrible Centerhalf. 

 

Always been overrated as a player,never understood the hype on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mdoug79

I just think we need to drop Smith in as a sweeper as he can read the game very well and knows when to drop off or hold the line. We keep getting caught with either Soutter or Halkett getting caught under the ball. Smith as sweeper would assist this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gashauskis9
9 hours ago, tcjambo said:

 

Souttar is our best defender but the injuries he has had take time to recover from. It will be better pitches and  next season before we see him back to form unfortunately

all the mistakes he’s making are down to decision making, but I do appreciate that not being physically match fit does have an effect on mental fitness (which is where it all went wrong for Berra imo).


He’s going to get worse before he gets better sadly, so he just needs taken out of the team.  He’s our best defender when we’re playing well, but our worst when we’re struggling.  We don’t have the luxury at the moment.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gashauskis9
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

No worse than Souttar who can’t defend in any aspect of the game, without our TOP GOAL SCORER  Halkett we would be much worse off. 

May be the case, but if you take away the goals, Halkett is a juniors level defender.  He’s never going to make it as a centre half for us (doesn’t have the pace) but he’s young enough to adapt to midfield or even striker.  
 

I’m leaning towards Cruyff on this one.  I just don’t see it in Halkett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Halkett has played the most minutes of any defender this season in the league and we're 12th, having conceded 41 goals in 21 games he has played. What are you defending here? 

 

If you had half a scooby mate, you wouldn't need to asked me, you'd know yourself. 👍 

You said any player now you’re saying defenders? What goals in your limited opinion was Halkett at fault for? I can list the ones Souttar, Berra, Perriera, Zlamal and Clare have been at fault for if you want, Halkett has caused less problems than them.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
S Form

Weirdly, I think the most solid we’ve looked defensively in recent games was against Aberdeen when Halkett played with Dikamona. I’m not sure if it was simply that Aberdeen were not up to much or that our central defence were a bit more basic in their approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

May be the case, but if you take away the goals, Halkett is a juniors level defender.  He’s never going to make it as a centre half for us (doesn’t have the pace) but he’s young enough to adapt to midfield or even striker.  
 

I’m leaning towards Cruyff on this one.  I just don’t see it in Halkett.

At no point have I said he’s a great player or good enough for us, I never saw it from day one. What I’m saying is he’s no worse than the players around him and if it weren’t for his goals we would be even worse off. He and Souttar might well need to learn how to play Defensive Midfieid if they can’t improve defensively, as Haring did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, S Form said:

Weirdly, I think the most solid we’ve looked defensively in recent games was against Aberdeen when Halkett played with Dikamona. I’m not sure if it was simply that Aberdeen were not up to much or that our central defence were a bit more basic in their approach. 

Definitely, I think it was Aberdeen’s basic approach that helped us. Halkett was at fault for their goal though as the player ran  past him before Clare tripped him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gashauskis9
11 minutes ago, S Form said:

Weirdly, I think the most solid we’ve looked defensively in recent games was against Aberdeen when Halkett played with Dikamona. I’m not sure if it was simply that Aberdeen were not up to much or that our central defence were a bit more basic in their approach. 

It always looks simpler when Dikamona is playing because he’s a defender who knows and sticks to the basics.  I’m sure the stats will prove this over the last 18 months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gashauskis9
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

At no point have I said he’s a great player or good enough for us, I never saw it from day one. What I’m saying is he’s no worse than the players around him and if it weren’t for his goals we would be even worse off. He and Souttar might well need to learn how to play Defensive Midfieid if they can’t improve defensively, as Haring did. 

Spot on 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

The centre half's are exposed. 

 

Little or no midfield cover and the full backs are often both forward. 

 

1 v 1 defending is horrible at the best of times, and it's not working. 

 

If I was 1 on 1 with Souttar almost every time, I will get past him at least once, given our tactics do that and I'm clear through on goal. 

 

Our tactics are hanging both centre halves out to dry 

I'd be property pissed off if I was one at our club, the set up is terrible. 

 

Souttar is also just back. 

 

Hamiltons goals on Sunday, 1 was offside and 1 was a series of bad decisions and imo Bobby was culpable as he had a clear opportunity to boot it but decided to play a terrible pass to Souttar. However, that was sign of the tactics to pass it from the back at all costs. 

 

We also got rid of our left sided defender who was most dominant in the air. 

 

Yes, he's not great at football and may not suit the style Stendel wants to implement, but this is Scotland and you need a dominate centre half in the air, the mangaer thinks we don't. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You said any player now you’re saying defenders? What goals in your limited opinion was Halkett at fault for? I can list the ones Souttar, Berra, Perriera, Zlamal and Clare have been at fault for if you want, Halkett has caused less problems than them.

:rofl:If you believe that you should get yourself booked into the opticians. 

 

I know off the top of my head 5 that he is directly at fault for. 

 

1 v Motherwell at home 

1 v Motherwell away

1 v Rangers away

2 v Hamilton away

 

There is at least 7 more that I can think of he has indirectly played a part in due to poor decision making, defending or positioning.

 

There is also at least 20 chances that should have ended up in the net that he's got off the hook for. 

 

There is video evidence that will back that up. 

 

This is the guy that got done by Vanecek last season at Tynie in the Cup ffs. 

 

We should never have signed him. He is not good enough to play for Hearts, he is out of his league by the proverbial Country mile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The centre half's are exposed. 

 

Little or no midfield cover and the full backs are often both forward. 

 

1 v 1 defending is horrible at the best of times, and it's not working. 

 

If I was 1 on 1 with Souttar almost every time, I will get past him at least once, given our tactics do that and I'm clear through on goal. 

 

Our tactics are hanging both centre halves out to dry 

I'd be property pissed off if I was one at our club, the set up is terrible. 

 

Souttar is also just back. 

 

Hamiltons goals on Sunday, 1 was offside and 1 was a series of bad decisions and imo Bobby was culpable as he had a clear opportunity to boot it but decided to play a terrible pass to Souttar. However, that was sign of the tactics to pass it from the back at all costs. 

 

We also got rid of our left sided defender who was most dominant in the air. 

 

Yes, he's not great at football and may not suit the style Stendel wants to implement, but this is Scotland and you need a dominate centre half in the air, the mangaer thinks we don't. 

 

 

 

 

Both were offside, plenty of chances to clear it lastly being Souttar. Opposition players aren’t one on one with Souttar they ghost past him without him noticing.

As for Berra he wasn’t even winning headers anymore, Doidge dominated him and Halkett. Look at the St Johnstone goal in December for more proof. If he is that good why have only Salford and Dundee shown interest?

Ive not seen Stendel say we don’t need a dominant in the air CH, just that they have to be more mobile than Berra. They also need better protection from a defensive midfielder, only Smith v Aberdeen has managed this so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gordon Ramsay

A ball over the top and the opposition is through on goal every time now. Tactics not working, chopping and changing personnel not working. I feel like we just have another Levein but this one focuses on football on the deck and not the Berra punt.

 

Halkett is a crap centre back as well. Too small, not strong enough and slow. Constantly mistimes tackles and grabs folk cause he doesn't know how to get in front of his man and win a header. Souttar has been horrendous since he got back, just punts the ball out all the time. Not doubting he's a good player but needs to get back to basics. 

 

Put Smith in at centre half next to Souttar. He's no use in midfield anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:rofl:If you believe that you should get yourself booked into the opticians. 

 

I know off the top of my head 5 that he is directly at fault for. 

 

1 v Motherwell at home 

1 v Motherwell away

1 v Rangers away

2 v Hamilton away

 

There is at least 7 more that I can think of he has indirectly played a part in due to poor decision making, defending or positioning.

 

There is also at least 20 chances that should have ended up in the net that he's got off the hook for. 

 

There is video evidence that will back that up. 

 

This is the guy that got done by Vanecek last season at Tynie in the Cup ffs. 

 

We should never have signed him. He is not good enough to play for Hearts, he is out of his league by the proverbial Country mile. 

That’s four by the way. Just watched Clares goal again, he wasn’t to clever there. 

As I’ve said I don’t think he’s a great player,CL  signed him intending to sit and defend our box which most defenders look good doing, even Souttar. I haven’t noticed him making as many mistakes as the others but I accept you could be right there. Have any the defenders or GKs had a good season? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s four by the way. Just watched Clares goal again, he wasn’t to clever there. 

As I’ve said I don’t think he’s a great player,CL  signed him intending to sit and defend our box which most defenders look good doing, even Souttar. I haven’t noticed him making as many mistakes as the others but I accept you could be right there. Have any the defenders or GKs had a good season? 

1+1+1+2=4 aye? :laugh2:

Nope, they haven't. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

1+1+1+2=4 aye? :laugh2:

Nope, they haven't. 

 

Ffs, was just up 🙈. Sorry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Both were offside, plenty of chances to clear it lastly being Souttar. Opposition players aren’t one on one with Souttar they ghost past him without him noticing.

As for Berra he wasn’t even winning headers anymore, Doidge dominated him and Halkett. Look at the St Johnstone goal in December for more proof. If he is that good why have only Salford and Dundee shown interest?

Ive not seen Stendel say we don’t need a dominant in the air CH, just that they have to be more mobile than Berra. They also need better protection from a defensive midfielder, only Smith v Aberdeen has managed this so far.

 

Berra was statistically the best defender in Europe in the air a few months back. 

He's also left sided. 

 

Imo there is far too much 1 v 1 defending. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

Berra was statistically the best defender in Europe in the air a few months back. 

He's also left sided. 

 

Imo there is far too much 1 v 1 defending. 

 

Those pesky facts eh. Best in the leagues outside the top five, a year ago. He’s regressed since then. 

Too many one on ones agreed, I would love to know how Barsnley adapted to it better than we have.

AE870E71-010C-4D1E-A9A9-DCC4254C6358.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Those pesky facts eh. Best in the leagues outside the top five, a year ago. He’s regressed since then. 

Too many one on ones agreed, I would love to know how Barsnley adapted to it better than we have.

AE870E71-010C-4D1E-A9A9-DCC4254C6358.jpeg

 

He's also still left sided, still our best defender in the air and he hasn't been replaced. 

 

You'll think different tho as CL liked Berra so you'll go the opposite way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

He's also still left sided, still our best defender in the air and he hasn't been replaced. 

 

You'll think different tho as CL liked Berra so you'll go the opposite way. 

No I agree but he didn’t fit in with how the manager wants to play. He was the best defender in Scotland before his injury but has regressed so much since then, should never have been given an extension in January last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gabriel

It's no coincidence that our better recent performances  came when  Sibbick sat in front of the defence and mopped up the danger. Since he's gone out, Stendel has tried to plug the gap with Langer or Smith, but the former is currently not up to speed, and the latter is arguably needed in his natural position. It's also seen Naismith  drawn deeper to help out.

 

We have Damour, but since the derby loss he hasn't got on the park, didn't even make the bench for 5 games, and although he made it back to the bench for the  Falkirk and Celtic games, he wasn't used and then found himself bumped from the squad entirely for Hamilton.  Similarly, Bozanic hasn't featured at all since the Rangers game.

 

Don't think either player is the long-term answer, but Sibbick looks as if he'll again be unavailable on Friday, which means he won't return until the cup tie or derby, at the earliest. That means we could be fudging our way through 6-8 games with no natural defensive midfielder, and the two experienced ones we have won't have kicked a ball in weeks. If Sibbick is out for longer, and Stendel finally has to revert to Damour or Bozanic, they're unlikely to be match ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...