Kevin Sampson

pablo

Despite having always been aware of the author Kevin Sampson's work I only got around to reading my first novel of his ( Awaydays ) earlier in the year.

I enjoyed the story, usual rights of passage stuff. Not terribly challenging but thought the attention to detail regarding the period and setting excellent.

I was wondering if any of you lot could point me in the direction of what to read next. I was probably going to go for Leisure next but if I'm missing a more obvious choice, please say.

:cheers:

Leisure is good iirc. Lads on a Spanish Holiday. Read it a while back.

Powder is supposed to be ok too.

Era Macaroons

I enjoyed 'Stars are Stars' ,it should be up your street if you liked 'Away Days'.

You may also enjoy the book shown, its also been shown on Channel 4 :cheers:

pure seek_thumb.jpg

Powder is the best by a fair bit, I would say.

Stars Are Stars, Clubland and Freshers are all pretty good.

Outlaws was disappointing (its the precursor to Clubland though, so might be an idea to read this before Clubland to get a better insight into the characters), and I found Leisure is just a lads holiday by numbers type story.

Adi Dassler

I am a massive Kevin Sampson fan.

Personally, after Awaydays, i would go with Stars are Stars which is one of my favourite books.

But really, if you enjoyed Awaydays i don't think you'd be dissapointed with any of them.

His burd, Helen Walsh, has also written a couple of decent books. Brass being one and i can't for the life of me remember what the other one is called.

Extra Time is also good which is an account of Liverpools 1996/97 Season. Few funny tales in there which included him running onto the pitch at Parkhead when McManaman scored that wonder goal in a UEFA Cup game against Celtic.

Walter Kidd

Powder was based on Lee Mavers I believe, him and Hooton from the f

Farm were original scallies.

Adi Dassler
Powder was based on Lee Mavers I believe, him and Hooton from the f

Farm were original scallies.

Bit unhappy with Mr Hooton at the moment.

The upcoming Carling Academy gig is the second Farm gig they have cancelled in Scotland in the last 2 years, the other one being at the Liquid Room.

Poor show like.

:sad:

Walter Kidd
Bit unhappy with Mr Hooton at the moment.

The upcoming Carling Academy gig is the second Farm gig they have cancelled in Scotland in the last 2 years, the other one being at the Liquid Room.

Poor show like.

:sad:

Probably still hacked off after the Hibs/Motherwell nonsense after their set at the Madness gig pal.

If you like that sort of book then read "Is Harry on the Boat". (I think the writer's name might be Colin Butts but I'm just guessing from memory).

Sky did a TV drama about it, but the book was far better.

Apart from Christopher Brookmyre's stuff, you wont find a funnier book.

Archived