FoH - final installment of BidCo payment made - share transfer likely in April

Footballfirst

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Budge was retired and is now in her 70s. At some point, things will need to be handed over. FoH should be succession planning now.

Craig Levein could be available, now he's hung up his cap. Seriously, so long as we have a sporting director to handle manager and player things, we just need a decent business executive to do the other stuff. Budge fits the bill for me right now.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Francis Albert

• Beast Boy

• Footballfirst

lost in space

Neither of these two things is anything to do with the CEO role.

Agreed. Added bonuses then that show Huge commitment - not going to be shown by others. 

So relevant! 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Agreed. Added bonuses then that show Huge commitment - not going to be shown by others. 

So relevant! 

What's relevant is competence for the role. Budge has got us into this mess by her stubborn refusal to change things on the football side, having delegated it all to Levein. As much as everyone is getting excited by Stendel's transformation, we shouldnt have got to this stage in the first place.

lost in space
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Budge was retired and is now in her 70s. At some point, things will need to be handed over. FoH should be succession planning now.

My God, how age-ist are you??

In her 70s - wow, remarkable she is still alive. Why not be there in her 90s if still able.

Horrible post Geoff.

Surprised by that.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, lost in space said:

In her 70s - wow, remarkable she is still alive. Why not be there in her 90s if still able.

Horrible post Geoff.

Surprised by that.

The relevant point was that she retired and she came back into the workforce. She isn't going to go on and on and on. Hence why planning is required for succession.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

What's relevant is competence for the role. Budge has got us into this mess by her stubborn refusal to change things on the football side, having delegated it all to Levein. As much as everyone is getting excited by Stendel's transformation, we shouldnt have got to this stage in the first place.

All clubs go through good and bad times. Wasn't Stewart Milne in charge at Aberdeen when they were finishing 9th and were even in relegation trouble (or should have been relegated or something) not that long ago? Then they finally appointed the right manager and things got better. 

I saw this with folk wanting Neilson out for one slip of the tongue and a bad derby result. There's no willingness to let people learn from their mistakes. Budge is very obviously showing a willingness to learn from mistakes. This is in contrast to, for example, Rod Petrie who kept making the same mistake over and over in terms of managerial appointments, club finances, etc, and got them relegated in the end. And he's one of the most "respected" people in the Scottish game (apparently given his longevity and current position). Budge is an outsider - very much not one of the boys - which is another reason I like her.

I also like that Budge, instead of abandoning the DoF type thing completely, just took a step back and went for a Sporting Director role instead. This shows she has much more of an idea of how the football side of things is run than maybe folk give her credit for. I mean she obviously understands the slightly different roles of DoF and SD. Many of our own fans, and a surprisingly large number of journalists, seem to completely misunderstand both roles.

Edited by ToqueJambo

lost in space

The relevant point was that she retired and she came back into the workforce. She isn't going to go on and on and on. Hence why planning is required for succession.

You are age-ist.

She retired from very successful career as others have and took on another project (thankfully, and saved our club).

Your comments are poorly judged. 

Is there no gratitude from you?

Do you not see that by sacking Levein that she has learned?

Succession???  Wow.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, lost in space said:

You are age-ist.

She retired from very successful career as others have and took on another project (thankfully, and saved our club).

Succession???  Wow.

If being ageist is being grounded in reality, then I'll happily be ageist.

27 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Horrible post Geoff.

Surprised by that.

Agree wholeheartedly. Celebrating my 76th birthday  which occurred a few minutes ago. Still run my own business  albeit I am winding down. Sometimes age brings a different perspective based on years of knowledge and experience which can be invaluable in the larger scheme of things. We old golden oldies have still got a lot to offer 

Edited by 132goals1958

lost in space

If being ageist is being grounded in reality, then I'll happily be ageist.

No. Not accepted.

When should she/ any successful business person retire?

"she isn't going to go on and on" (you said) - so when should we all stop being successful business people?

I have seen your posts for years. Not always agreed but read with interest during debates.

Your comments on this are a disgrace. 

Please take a step back from keyboard and read your posts. They are not credible is 21st century. Maybe you are the person to retire as no longer credible.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, lost in space said:

No. Not accepted.

When should she/ any successful business person retire?

"she isn't going to go on and on" (you said) - so when should we all stop being successful business people?

I have seen your posts for years. Not always agreed but read with interest during debates.

Your comments on this are a disgrace. 

Please take a step back from keyboard and read your posts. They are not credible is 21st century. Maybe you are the person to retire as no longer credible.

:laugh: I won't lose sleep over your lack of acceptance.

38 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Craig Levein could be available, now he's hung up his cap. Seriously, so long as we have a sporting director to handle manager and player things, we just need a decent business executive to do the other stuff. Budge fits the bill for me right now.

Levein should be nowhere near this club apart from sitting in a seat as a fan. I apologise if you jest regarding him in any club capacity

25 minutes ago, lost in space said:

You are age-ist.

Succession???  Wow.

To be fair she had retired with no intention of getting involved in any other business, When she got on board with Hearts it was to help rather than to start a new career. I don’t see that as ageist stating that she had retired.

lost in space
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:laugh: I won't lose sleep over your lack of acceptance.

Good. I don't want you to.

I would like you though to advise us "oldies" when we should stop being successful.

Rhetoric question/statement.

Thankfully there are some-  like Ann Budge - who are driven to success.

Sleep well Geoff.

lost in space
11 minutes ago, obua said:

To be fair she had retired with no intention of getting involved in any other business, When she got on board with Hearts it was to help rather than to start a new career. I don’t see that as ageist stating that she had retired.

Well, did she actually retire - or did she sell business at huge profit?

Even if she did intend to retire - so what? Should she (and others) just stop!!??

People retire and start other companies.

Do you think she should not have got involved in hearts cos she was too old?

When do you think she got too old to continue?

Do you think she should have retired when she made a mistake?

Now that she has "turned around" mistake (with appointment and backing of Stendel) - should she be re-apoointed?

Geoff Kilpatrick
15 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Good. I don't want you to.

I would like you though to advise us "oldies" when we should stop being successful.

Rhetoric question/statement.

Thankfully there are some-  like Ann Budge - who are driven to success.

Sleep well Geoff.

It's midday here. I actually have a day off but I'm still doing work. Gen Xers trying to clean up the mess left by you baby boomers. :ninja:

We are Hearts!

I predict Daniel Stendel will make a statement that he wants Craig Levein to remain as he values his ‘knowledge’ and wants his support on making transfers etc. happen.

Please wait until May before commenting on this prediction!

We are Hearts!

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

If benefactors continues backing is dependent on Ann Budge staying then it’s a no brainer. Stay please.

Exactly this we have a new manager who is being backed by the board and fans , why change it now?

If we do end up being relegated, she should resign in all capacities.

Not expecting either of those things to happen.

If we stay up, i wouldn't really be bothered if she stays or goes. It might be a good time for a fresh start. She'd also have earned more time, if she wants it, in my view.

5 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

We are Hearts!

I predict Daniel Stendel will make a statement that he wants Craig Levein to remain as he values his ‘knowledge’ and wants his support on making transfers etc. happen.

Please wait until May before commenting on this prediction!

We are Hearts!

This thought had crossed my mind also. 

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

If we do end up being relegated, she should resign in all capacities.

Not expecting either of those things to happen.

If we stay up, i wouldn't really be bothered if she stays or goes. It might be a good time for a fresh start. She'd also have earned more time, if she wants it, in my view.

Not a chance we will be relegated.

Behave.

I listen to the football ramble podcast. On their ‘football ramble meets’ this week they had a really interesting interview with the CEO of AFC Wimbledon. He was the ex marketing guy for Shakthar Donetsk when they started getting big and is now CEO of AFC Wimbledon after doing a different role at Sheff Wed. 

He said he was offered bigger roles but the fact it was fan owned appealed to him. 

Fascinating guy with great ideas. I’d look at someone like that with Mrs Budge as chairwoman. 

9 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Not a chance we will be relegated.

Behave.

That's what 

"Not expecting either of those things to happen."

means. 

Thanks though. 👌

7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Spot on, it was farcical to allow him to stay on this season . Her blind love for CL , has certianly been the biggest factor in the slump and state of the playing squad.

7 hours ago, cubanjambo said:

Wonderful news if true,  remarkable big hearted , top notch person

Who could easily have retired but poured her money, her time, commitment and her heart into our club. She rightly deserves our gratitude. 

Yes she made mistakes with Levein that she no doubt regrets but she also hired Daniel Stendel. 

After getting her investment that helped save our club back, I hope she stays on in some sort of capacity but I think its remarkable the energy, hard work and commitment this woman has shown Hearts since before our CVA was agreed right up to now & continues to do so despite her age. 

I think an element of our support dont fully recognise this which is a shame.

Personally, if it was me I would be on my yacht in the warm Med with a cool drink. 

Bazzas right boot

She kept CL on top long. 

However after a sc final, lc sf and 6th in the league it was 50/50 and not clear cut as many think. 

She taken over with us in the championship and no infrastructure of note, she leaves us better off and with a magnificent new stand that others have promised but not delivered. 

We are, without doubt in the best place ever in my lifetime. 

The specter of administration and massive debts long gone. 

We won't be forced to sell players on the cheap because the debt collectors are knocking on the door ever again. 

She isn't perfect, no one is. 

Can't wait for the future. 

Shame that we were 30 minutes from a sc win that would have crowned everything off, but fell short. 

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

All clubs go through good and bad times. Wasn't Stewart Milne in charge at Aberdeen when they were finishing 9th and were even in relegation trouble (or should have been relegated or something) not that long ago? Then they finally appointed the right manager and things got better. 

I saw this with folk wanting Neilson out for one slip of the tongue and a bad derby result. There's no willingness to let people learn from their mistakes. Budge is very obviously showing a willingness to learn from mistakes. This is in contrast to, for example, Rod Petrie who kept making the same mistake over and over in terms of managerial appointments, club finances, etc, and got them relegated in the end. And he's one of the most "respected" people in the Scottish game (apparently given his longevity and current position). Budge is an outsider - very much not one of the boys - which is another reason I like her.

I also like that Budge, instead of abandoning the DoF type thing completely, just took a step back and went for a Sporting Director role instead. This shows she has much more of an idea of how the football side of things is run than maybe folk give her credit for. I mean she obviously understands the slightly different roles of DoF and SD. Many of our own fans, and a surprisingly large number of journalists, seem to completely misunderstand both roles.

Very good post! I also would be delighted if AB remained as CEO. As you say, not on of the boys, has learned from her mistakes (ie CL).. and clearly backing the new manager. AND a huge fan. 
She steered Hearts through our hard times and I’ll be forever thankful. 

6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Very good post! I also would be delighted if AB remained as CEO. As you say, not on of the boys, has learned from her mistakes (ie CL).. and clearly backing the new manager. AND a huge fan. 
She steered Hearts through our hard times and I’ll be forever thankful. 

I think as well with Stendel just coming in it would be good if Ann Budge (and Jacqui Duncan) support and work with him for a period of time. It will take time to review everything. But a new CEO can still come in early. 

We need as smooth a transaction into the next era as possible......

Ann staying as Chairwoman to work closely alongside a new CEO to look after the business side of the club with a Sporting Director to take some of the weight off Stendels shoulders would be the best scenario.

9 hours ago, lost in space said:

Horrible post Geoff.

Surprised by that.

I don’t think it’s a case of agism to be honest. 

Running a football club is a business but it’s a business that’s under the microscope intensity unlike 99.9% of other businesses. With fans and the media just waiting for a mistake. When that happens (as it has with Dr Budge) then the fans and media lash out with a ferocity not seen in other areas of the corporate world. I think she’s deserved a break from it. 

I agree with the poster saying that succession planning must be done but I’m also hoping she stays for 1/2 years to provide a smooth transitions or us being fan owned. 

I struggle to articulate how proud to be a member of the organisation that saved the club that means so much to all of us. If we had gone the way of Rangers and liquidated I don’t think we would have been resurrected the way those zombies were. The SFA/SPL would not have done for us what was done for them. 

Allowayjambo1874

Just wanted to point out regarding AB learning from her mistakes that Cathro was kept on far too long after it was obvious he wasn’t going to succeed resulting in us pissing away a season. 

Fast forward to this year, the same mistake has been made with CL.

I hope to Christ Stendel is the real deal because if not she’ll give him goodness knows how long before taking action and another season will be down the drain. 

Ex member of the SaS

Budge has her faults, should have dumped Levein much ,much earlier, told untruths about how he became available for the managers job. Has been economical with the truth with regards the state of the pitch, and possibly a few other things that don't come to mind at this time. However having said that, I still think she is the best we can hope for in the CEO role.

Getting rid of Levein when his contract is up is a priority, and should under no circumstances be wangled into any posts what so ever within Hearts.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Just wanted to point out regarding AB learning from her mistakes that Cathro was kept on far too long after it was obvious he wasn’t going to succeed resulting in us pissing away a season. 

Fast forward to this year, the same mistake has been made with CL.

I hope to Christ Stendel is the real deal because if not she’ll give him goodness knows how long before taking action and another season will be down the drain. 

TBF to Budge, she was talking Levein's advice at this time and he kept reassuring her it would come good. I agree she should have learned for this and dumped Levein after the final.

On 12/01/2020 at 13:23, Footballfirst said:

Part of my reasons for me posting this information just before the loan is repaid, is a prompt to the FOH Board for them to acknowledge what is a major milestone for FOH and the Club. 

Indeed,the milestone has to be acknowledged, and many thanks giving to the FOH supporters with their hard cash! been doing so since it started.

15 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Great news the loan has been repaid but I’d much rather Ann Budge stepped aside and allowed an experienced football CEO to run the club 

She is an experienced football CEO. She's been doing it for a while now and imo better than most.

We will never agree with everything she does and there's no question she stuck with CL too long but I simply don't believe that there were many other CEOs out there that would have run us at a profit every year while building a new main stand, substantially increasing turnover each year and keeping us relatively debt free. And doing it without a salary.

9 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

She is an experienced football CEO. She's been doing it for a while now and imo better than most.

We will never agree with everything she does and there's no question she stuck with CL too long but I simply don't believe that there were many other CEOs out there that would have run us at a profit every year while building a new main stand, substantially increasing turnover each year and keeping us relatively debt free. And doing it without a salary.

100% with that!

It is quite incredible how so much hard cash has headed Hearts way from the fans, Ann Budge and the benefactors.  As someone who thought the fans had the capability of saving the club post- Robinson I never thought that c. £20m in capital could be found in the way it now has.

The flow of cash from the fans during a dreadful spell for the football team is an incredible achievement 

The disastrous Levein era is already being dismantled and hopefully much better times ahead.

5 hours ago, DH1986 said:

We need as smooth a transaction into the next era as possible......

Ann staying as Chairwoman to work closely alongside a new CEO to look after the business side of the club with a Sporting Director to take some of the weight off Stendels shoulders would be the best scenario.

I agree. And you've also got to consider whether Ann would want to carry on much longer as CEO, given that she effectively came out of retirement to take up that role and the role of Chairperson.

The CEO role is more demanding in terms of day to day involvement.  I suspect Ann would be happy to step back from that role while remaining as Chair, which wouldn't require the same time commitment or the need to deal with operational issues on a day to day basis.

2 hours ago, Coco said:

It is quite incredible how so much hard cash has headed Hearts way from the fans, Ann Budge and the benefactors.  As someone who thought the fans had the capability of saving the club post- Robinson I never thought that c. £20m in capital could be found in the way it now has.

The flow of cash from the fans during a dreadful spell for the football team is an incredible achievement 

The disastrous Levein era is already being dismantled and hopefully much better times ahead.

Well said. Surely what this thread is all about.

AB’s tenure can be discussed when she leaves, whenever that may be.

Proud to have been in since day one !

Was looking on the FOH site there to check my points. Is anyone in the 1874 Club yet ?

8000 points is a hefty sum of money !

10 minutes ago, Boab said:

Well said. Surely what this thread is all about.

AB’s tenure can be discussed when she leaves, whenever that may be.

Proud to have been in since day one !

Was looking on the FOH site there to check my points. Is anyone in the 1874 Club yet ?

8000 points is a hefty sum of money !

Don’t like to boast. 🤓

Just now, davemclaren said:

Don’t like to boast. 🤓

Really ?

Done a quick bit of maths there. Very well done, mate.

I’m a good bit along the corridor in the 1998 Club. 
To be honest, it’s a bit more lively !!

Bridge of Djoum
On 13/01/2020 at 07:17, wavydavy said:

I'm with you on this until the guy has left the building after the expiry of his contract I will not be happy.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if AB came up with some sort of half witted plan to give him a role at the club.

There would be an awful lot of very unhappy people if she did this.

And the award for the most hyperbolic post of the decade goes to...

16 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Who could easily have retired but poured her money, her time, commitment and her heart into our club. She rightly deserves our gratitude. 

Yes she made mistakes with Levein that she no doubt regrets but she also hired Daniel Stendel. 

After getting her investment that helped save our club back, I hope she stays on in some sort of capacity but I think its remarkable the energy, hard work and commitment this woman has shown Hearts since before our CVA was agreed right up to now & continues to do so despite her age. 

I think an element of our support dont fully recognise this which is a shame.

Personally, if it was me I would be on my yacht in the warm Med with a cool drink. 

100% agree 👍

I know the link to the FOH email is on the foh website thread but this deserves its own thread.

We as a support have now handed over the final payment to bidco, the shares are still to be transfered but we as a support have achieved something very very special.

Congratulations to every member of the foundation and every supporter that have put their money into the club over the years.

:scenes:

We own our own club, 

We own our own club,

Heart of Midlothian

We own our own club

1 minute ago, bn jambo said:

I know the link to the FOH email is on the foh website thread but this deserves its own thread.

We as a support have now handed over the final payment to bidco, the shares are still to be transfered but we as a support have achieved something very very special.

Congratulations to every member of the foundation and every supporter that have put their money into the club over the years.

:scenes:

We own our own club, 

We own our own club,

Heart of Midlothian

We own our own club

No we don't.