CJGJ

Coronavirus pandemic

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Oh that's fine then, as long as most people are ok. **** the 50,000+ dead and those left with horrific lasting health problems. Tough luck.

I'm afraid Covid is no different in that respect to hundreds of other illnesses, diseases & conditions which can leave someone with permanent long term after effects.

Ray Gin
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm afraid Covid is no different in that respect to hundreds of other illnesses, diseases & conditions which can leave someone with permanent long term after effects.

But Covid is different in that it is highly infectious and has racked up almost 13 million recorded cases globally in under 6 months. 

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

No surprise there.

Mrs JJ has a work collegue who has had it twice, no question marks, no false positives or negatives, infected twice.

She caught covid in March, it was like a bad flu she said.

Came back to work in May, then at the start of June began to feel unwell and tested positive again, this time she wasn't that ill, just felt a bit off for a few days, 14 days later tested negative once again.

Hospital is convinced she was infected two seperate times.

Jambo-Jimbo
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

But Covid is different in that it is highly infectious and has racked up almost 13 million recorded cases globally in under 6 months. 

I don't dispute that at all.

What I'm saying and what concerns me is that some people are so focused on covid, that they seem to think it's the only thing out there that can kill them, or at least that's the way it seems to me, with some folks.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

kila
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What I'm saying and what concerns me is that some people are so focused on covid, that they seem to think it's the only thing out there that can kill them, or at least that's the way it seems to me, with some folks.

The issue with CV19 is that seriously ill folk end up in ICU. Then hospitals become overwhelmed as cases rise and there is not enough capacity.

So while CV19 might not kill someone, it might indirectly if they were in a car accident and needed a ventilator but there were none available.

Yes there are many other ways to die, but the CV19 disease impacts us all because of the strain it puts on the health service.

Hopefully a proven treatment is found so severe cases that would've ended up in hospital can recover at home.

Edited by kila

Cade
Posted (edited)

With many survivors having permanent internal organ damage, this puts them in the high risk category of any 2nd wave.

Catching it again could easily kill them.

Especially when several studies have shown that antibodies seem to decline rapidly in just a few months.

This winter could be a shocker.

Edited by Cade

Natural Orders
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

With many survivors having permanent internal organ damage, this puts them in the high risk category of any 2nd wave.

Catching it again could easily kill them.

Especially when several studies have shown that antibodies seem to decline rapidly in just a few months.

This sadly 

JFK-1
Just now, Cade said:

This Winter is going to be a very difficult period indeed. We're going to be facing the flu season while this still simmers away. People are going to get flu, experience flu symptoms, and wonder do I have flu or covid-19?

Now prior to this pandemic if you had flu symptoms you basically thought oh feck it, I have flu, get me some lemsip.

But with th pandemic going on this worry about what it is may all on it's own see resources in the form of doctors and hospitals stretched to the limits.

Natural Orders
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No surprise there.

Mrs JJ has a work collegue who has had it twice, no question marks, no false positives or negatives, infected twice.

She caught covid in March, it was like a bad flu she said.

Came back to work in May, then at the start of June began to feel unwell and tested positive again, this time she wasn't that ill, just felt a bit off for a few days, 14 days later tested negative once again.

Hospital is convinced she was infected two seperate times.

Yeh sadly you might be right

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-immunity-how-long-does-immunity-last-there-covid-19-vaccine-and-can-you-get-virus-twice-2911975

Nucky Thompson
51 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

This Winter is going to be a very difficult period indeed. We're going to be facing the flu season while this still simmers away. People are going to get flu, experience flu symptoms, and wonder do I have flu or covid-19?

Now prior to this pandemic if you had flu symptoms you basically thought oh feck it, I have flu, get me some lemsip.

But with th pandemic going on this worry about what it is may all on it's own see resources in the form of doctors and hospitals stretched to the limits.

The majority of people won't ever have had the flu.

Loads of people get bad colds and think it's flu.

I've not had a cold in a good couple of years, but when I do it's usually blocked nose and loads of sneezing and sore throat. A cough sometimes comes near the end. 

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to distinguish going by the 3 main symptoms of Covid

I agree that the NHS will be inundated by worried people with common colds

JamesM48
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I prefer to live each day at a time And not visualise possible horror scenarios in the future . There really is no use worrying s it the future as there’s nothing you can do about it . Try mindfulness meditation ! 

Edited by JamesM48

JFK-1
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I prefer to live each day at a time And not visualise possible horror scenarios in the future . There really is no use worrying s it the future as there’s nothing you can do about it . Try mindfulness meditation ! 

I'm not worrying about it, i'm speculating about the future. That's normal and necessary human behavior. If you can't think about it without worrying well feel free to pretend it doesn't exist.

Boy Daniel

Wearing a face covering in shops and supermarkets in England is to become mandatory from 24 July.
Those who fail to comply with the new rules will face a fine of up to £100, the government is to announce.
The move will bring England into line with Scotland and other major European nations like Spain, Italy and Germany. 

Enzo Chiefo
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree James. The govt propaganda machine was certainly successful in terms of leaving sections of the population terrified. Don't see the point in worrying about situations that may never happen. There are lots of risks in life and that is just a part of living.

Morgan
1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Wearing a face covering in shops and supermarkets in England is to become mandatory from 24 July.
Those who fail to comply with the new rules will face a fine of up to £100, the government is to announce.
The move will bring England into line with Scotland and other major European nations like Spain, Italy and Germany. 

It’s virtually mandatory here, has been for weeks now, and it’s really not a big problem.

Boy Daniel
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s virtually mandatory here, has been for weeks now, and it’s really not a big problem.

I feel safer wearing one. It’s not an uncomfortable experience either. The more people do it the more normal it will become. 

graygo
8 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I feel safer wearing one. It’s not an uncomfortable experience either. The more people do it the more normal it will become. 

Who the hell wants it to become normal? No thanks.

0.02 of Scotland's population are estimated to have the virus, how low that needs to be and for how long will determine when we get back to normal.

Walter Bishop
Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree James. The govt propaganda machine was certainly successful in terms of leaving sections of the population terrified. Don't see the point in worrying about situations that may never happen. There are lots of risks in life and that is just a part of living.

Evidence over fear - 

https://t.co/MY2Otx97WN?amp=1

5 million active cases, 1% serious or critical - 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by Walter Bishop

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Evidence over fear - 

https://t.co/MY2Otx97WN?amp=1

5 million active cases, 1% serious or critical - 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Interesting reading Walter and, yes, I remember the daily obsession of the BBC which spoke of very little else. The messaging has certainly been geared towards scaring the population witless with, in a lot of instances,  unfounded claims.

Walter Bishop
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Interesting reading Walter and, yes, I remember the daily obsession of the BBC which spoke of very little else. The messaging has certainly been geared towards scaring the population witless with, in a lot of instances,  unfounded claims.

Yeah, the biggest one was when the narrative changed to "The virus does not discriminate" in an attempt to keep everyone indoors despite the fact all along its been the very elderly and those with underlying health conditions that are most at risk. 

graygo
2 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Yeah, the biggest one was when the narrative changed to "The virus does not discriminate" in an attempt to keep everyone indoors despite the fact all along its been the very elderly and those with underlying health conditions that are most at risk. 

I'm fairly open minded, why do you think the government have done what you say?

jonesy
35 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I feel neither safer nor more responsible with one on, especially after being told by the same politicians not to bother a few months back. 

It is very uncomfortable and makes my breathing erratic. 

The more people do it, the more it shows that fear is ultimately our greatest motivational factor. 

Ray Gin
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I feel neither safer nor more responsible with one on, especially after being told by the same politicians not to bother a few months back. 

It is very uncomfortable and makes my breathing erratic. 

The more people do it, the more it shows that fear is ultimately our greatest motivational factor. 

Do you think we knew more about this virus 3 months ago than we do now? 

Irufushi

The doom and gloom merchants on this thread :rofl:. It’s like they thrive off it. 

Walter Bishop
Just now, graygo said:

I'm fairly open minded, why do you think the government have done what you say?

To stop those under 50 years of age living their lives as normal whilst the elderly and vulnerable in society were told to shield, it would never have worked, those in the shielding category wouldn't have stood for it. You cant have a rule one for one and a rule for another, so they used scaremongering to get everyone to follow the "rules". 

3 months ago i never seen a way out of this. Watched far to much news and read too many headlines. Then I started following a group of people on twitter who changed my whole outlook on the whole "Pandemic". Well worth having a look at some of their pages.

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
Ivor Cummins @FatEmperor
Professor Karol Sikora @ProfKarolSikora
David Paton @cricketwyvern
Alistair Haimes @AlistairHaimes

Walter Bishop
7 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

The doom and gloom merchants on this thread :rofl:. It’s like they thrive off it. 

100% this. 

Walter Bishop
53 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

If they are so important, why wait 12 more days to implement the wearing of them?

Natural Orders
1 hour ago, graygo said:

0.02 of Scotland's population are estimated to have the virus, how low that needs to be and for how long will determine when we get back to normal.

Won’t do any harm 

JamesM48
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly , we need to learn to live with the risk like we do with everything else , not stay frightened in the house thinking too far ahead about what mAy or may not happen . Yes the fear factor from the Govt and the media has certainly worked for most of the population 

graygo
12 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Won’t do any harm 

Neither would wearing a hat made of tinfoil.

jonesy
36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Do you think we knew more about this virus 3 months ago than we do now? 

I think some people do and some people don’t. Whether or not that information has been shared and agreed upon is another argument.

I don’t really include myself in either category because I haven’t been reading scientific papers, nor do I have the background info of where and why these studies were carried out. People on kickback get their statistics and opinions from sources they choose to believe in, much like anywhere else.

I wouldn’t trust a single word from any politician’s mouth on pretty much any matter, which is why I am highly circumspect about mandatory muzzling. 

Similarly, the media (whether of the mainstream or the fringe variety) has its bills to pay and will play whatever tune the highest bidder demands.

I don’t enjoy being cynical about the motives of governments and the media, but I find anything else to be a form of deference and wilful ignorance. 

jonesy
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Neither would wearing a hat made of tinfoil.

I can’t get my tinfoil because I won’t wear a mask to a shop. Hard times. 

graygo
35 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

To stop those under 50 years of age living their lives as normal whilst the elderly and vulnerable in society were told to shield, it would never have worked, those in the shielding category wouldn't have stood for it. You cant have a rule one for one and a rule for another, so they used scaremongering to get everyone to follow the "rules". 

3 months ago i never seen a way out of this. Watched far to much news and read too many headlines. Then I started following a group of people on twitter who changed my whole outlook on the whole "Pandemic". Well worth having a look at some of their pages.

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
Ivor Cummins @FatEmperor
Professor Karol Sikora @ProfKarolSikora
David Paton @cricketwyvern
Alistair Haimes @AlistairHaimes

I've not looked at any of those Twitter accounts so can't comment on them yet.

If your first part is correct then although it might seem underhand maybe scaremongering or subtle persuasion was the best way for the government to  get the population to follow the guidelines.

graygo
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I can’t get my tinfoil because I won’t wear a mask to a shop. Hard times. 

Twit.  😁

jonesy
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Twit.  😁

At least there’s no risk of my unleashing a CV19-filled SBV at an innocent victim as I push my trolley down the bakery aisle. 

jonesy
7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Christ. With the amount of hot air and shite you spout on here I’m amazed we’re not all infected by now. Hope you wear a mask on yer arse next time you’re stocking up on tinned soup and jazz mags. 

JFK-1

Blathering on about just living with the risk at this stage is witless beyond words. The objective right now is to contain this thing, if there weren't measures to contain it we can be confident it would be rife and health resources would be overwhelmed.

We have people here who know absolutely f*%k all about this science or any science for that matter but still feel qualified to proclaim that the government, who have access to top expert advice outside some yahoo on an internet forum know nothing.

Think about the sheer stupidity. The government want to severely effect the economy for absolutely nothing. Who is stupid here?

Scaremongering about a pathogen that is so infectious it went global in a matter of weeks after discovery? Yes indeed, the stupidity is mind boggling.

Why bother having any experts at all in any science when we can always rustle up some non expert babbling tit on an internet forum for the real deal.

ri Alban
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thank feck they didn't have that philosophy back in 1939. 😕

Edited by ri Alban

Ray Gin
6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Blathering on about just living with the risk at this stage is witless beyond words. The objective right now is to contain this thing, if there weren't measures to contain it we can be confident it would be rife and health resources would be overwhelmed.

We have people here who know absolutely f*%k all about this science or any science for that matter but still feel qualified to proclaim that the government, who have access to top expert advice outside some yahoo on an internet forum know nothing.

Think about the sheer stupidity. The government want to severely effect the economy for absolutely nothing. Who is stupid here?

Scaremongering about a pathogen that is so infectious it went global in a matter of weeks after discovery? Yes indeed, the stupidity is mind boggling.

Why bother having any experts at all in any science when we can always rustle up some non expert babbling tit on an internet forum for the real deal.

Incredible isn't it? 

Walter Bishop
41 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Incredible isn't it? 

Not really, no. You cant live your life hiding in a cupboard. There are balanced views and opinions out there from many experts from all walks of life. It just baffles me why people only choose to listen to those predicting doom and gloom and are quite happy to debunk anyone with a bit of positivity. Life must be a hoot right now being one of those people.

Governor Tarkin
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, graygo said:

Folk would have us scuttling about like this, graygo.

tumblr_m6wloo49uP1qcf707o1_500.gifv

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Ray Gin
4 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Not really, no. You cant live your life hiding in a cupboard. There are balanced views and opinions out there from many experts from all walks of life. It just baffles me why people only choose to listen to those predicting doom and gloom and are quite happy to debunk anyone with a bit of positivity. Life must be a hoot right now being one of those people.

Who's hiding in a cupboard? You seem to confuse people sticking to the guidelines with people being locked away in their houses 24 hours a day with the windows boarded up. 

Ray Gin

How is rejecting evidence and suggesting that the government are lying to us showing positivity by the way? 

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

What, like you, you mean?

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Look at some of the newspaper headlines and they’ll cheer you up.

kila

I can understand why some folk can’t handle the reality of what we’re faced with and need to feed off conspiracies and the like.

While the virus presence is low at the moment, I think the mask requirement and all the social distancing measures for places is to try prepare us for a second wave. It might not happen of course! But I’d rather we had the foundations there so we can limit how much it rips through communities again.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Let’s make sure the NHS doesn’t get overwhelmed again. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, kila said:

I can understand why some folk can’t handle the reality of what we’re faced with and need to feed off conspiracies and the like.

Correct.

Big Gary Knew.

EllipticalSilentChamois-size_restricted.