Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Or as a UK citizen trapped in India die of Covid  possibly with no access to a hospital.

The  UK shut the border with India faster than most of Europe and the rest of the world. 

Our public health emergency is currently killing about 11 people a day. 1689 people on average are dying each day of something else. 

The inability to close our borders (or take back control if you like) led to the death of 127,000 of our citizens. 

If you're in India, or anywhere else for that matter in the middle of a global pandemic, then tough titty. 

The whataboutery is staggering. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The inability to close our borders (or take back control if you like) led to the death of 127,000 of our citizens. 

If you're in India, or anywhere else for that matter in the middle of a global pandemic, then tough titty. 

Hear hear. 

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The data suggests this too. With the use of mass testing, increased vaccination, and intelligent track and trace, Glasgow will be a significant test of our ability to focus on specific areas with spikes while keeping everything around them running normally.

Roll on full vaccination.

Big test will be tomorrow when the Sevco jamboree takes place. If NS thinks Glasgow staying in L3 will deter people, she’s in cuckoo land.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You are attributing 127000 deaths to that alone? 

Not sure what whataboutery you are referring to.

Some alterations to the priorities of vaccine stocks to head off severe illness and reduce transmission.  A period of urgent studies to determine characteristics of India variant.  BJ suggested the possibility of England not moving to their next stage as planned.  Current stage will proceed.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Impossible to calculate. What was incredible to witness though was the UK government not closing the borders months after the first outbreak. To still having 7 or 8 flights a day coming in from India, when it already on a massive spike, was criminal. 

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

Big test will be tomorrow when the Sevco jamboree takes place. If NS thinks Glasgow staying in L3 will deter people, she’s in cuckoo land.

I think the SG is probably well aware of that, Boab. However there are some businesses where folk mix that will have to remain closed so that *may* make a difference. As someone else mentioned to me earlier on, now that the genie is out of the bottle, it can't really be put back in again. I guess the SG thought that they should at least try to influence the things that they still can in order to try and give their concentrated postcode-related efforts a better chance.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Glasgow staying in 3 is more egg in the face of the myth peddlers who insist NS has a Glasgow bias. 

They’re a bit quiet at the moment.
Probably back in their cage.

:lol:

Whitty suggesting the new vaccine priority is not the very young.  The priority is to do 2nd jabs for the middle aged and move down into the 40s,  etc.  They're clearly going to try to manage serious illness first and foremost.  They don't know what the effects on hospitals will be but this seems to be a sensible pre-emptive strategy while they study.  Decent strategy for once.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think the SG is probably well aware of that, Boab. However there are some businesses where folk mix that will have to remain closed so that *may* make a difference. As someone else mentioned to me earlier on, now that the genie is out of the bottle, it can't really be put back in again. I guess the SG thought that they should at least try to influence the things that they still can in order to try and give their concentrated postcode-related efforts a better chance.

As you say, it is a chance to pinpoint a spike area and test the hell out of it basically. 
Easier done in Moray than the south side of Glasgow mind !

36 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Where anywhere in what you just posted does it talk about banning flights to or from

India which is what you said earlier.  I mean honestly are you sure you are okay? 

People quarantining in hotels means they could not pass on the virus after release. The redt of the UK allowed unfettered access from India and many many more countries. I do accept though that I was probably arguing the wrong point but, from February, nobody was allowed to fly into Scotland from India without enforced quarantine. Surely you accept that this stopped the India variant coming into Scotland directly

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Impossible to calculate. What was incredible to witness though was the UK government not closing the borders months after the first outbreak. To still having 7 or 8 flights a day coming in from India, when it already on a massive spike, was criminal. 

Probably still the worst mistake we have made during the pandemic. A mostly money-based decision too, imo. I wonder if anyone will now calculate and compare how much we would have lost due to closing our borders far earlier and how much we've lost due to the extent of the pandemic that we've experienced because we didn't close those borders.

But have we learned our lesson? The "border" (let's not get into that argument again) with India should have been closed well before it was. The data was there, the extent of the pandemic over there was in full view, and we still dilly-dallied, even to the extent of organising a trip from our PM over there until it was cancelled at the last minute. I'm not sure we have indeed learned that lesson.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes. We live on a island. The Covid-19 virus had to be introduced to these islands. Pretty early on in Jan 2020 it was abundantly clear something was going very wrong in China. Did we shut down our borders? No. 

So yes I'm attributing the deaths of 127,000 us people to that shit decision making chain and those responsible for it. 

They got control back of their borders and did feck all with it. 

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

All of the people on that flight had to have tested negative to get on the plane.  They all then had to isolate for ten days on entry of the UK and have two more negative tests.  The UK was one of the first counties in the world to close borders to India.  

I agree about not closing the borders last year though but comparisons between the Uk and countries like New Zealand and Australia are nonsense as they are two of the most remote countries in the whole world that can only be entered by flights and the numbers of those flights is a fraction of what the UK gets.  (not saying you made that point by the way) 

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, LMc said:

Doesn't change the fact that you just posted completely made up nonsense 😄

George Soros is always the bogeyman for the tinfoilers .

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yes. We live on a island. The Covid-19 virus had to be introduced to these islands. Pretty early on in Jan 2020 it was abundantly clear something was going very wrong in China. Did we shut down our borders? No. 

So yes I'm attributing the deaths of 127,000 us people to that shit decision making chain and those responsible for it. 

They got control back of their borders and did feck all with it. 

Who are they and how did the status of our borders change by January last year? But if the public enquiry takes as simplistic an approach based largely on hindsight at least it will be quick and cheap.

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

As you say, it is a chance to pinpoint a spike area and test the hell out of it basically. 
Easier done in Moray than the south side of Glasgow mind !

:) I was thinking that it might be easier to do in Glasgow. Door-to-door testing/vaccination in Moray could well involve a mile's car journey in some parts.

Much more difficult to restrain the virus in Glasgow though, for similar reasons.

Brighton Jambo
8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

People quarantining in hotels means they could not pass on the virus after release. The redt of the UK allowed unfettered access from India and many many more countries. I do accept though that I was probably arguing the wrong point but, from February, nobody was allowed to fly into Scotland from India without enforced quarantine. Surely you accept that this stopped the India variant coming into Scotland directly

No becuse the India variant is in Scotland and Jason Leitch is saying it’s due to travel. I have deliberately used a link from the National so I can’t be accused of picking a pro union source.  

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19296493.covid-scotland-up-30-cases-indian-variant-coronavirus-detected/

7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

All of the people on that flight had to have tested negative to get on the plane.  They all then had to isolate for ten days on entry of the UK and have two more negative tests.  The UK was one of the first counties in the world to close borders to India.  

I agree about not closing the borders last year though but comparisons between the Uk and countries like New Zealand and Australia are nonsense as they are two of the most remote countries in the whole world that can only be entered by flights and the numbers of those flights is a fraction of what the UK gets.  (not saying you made that point by the way) 

Excuse my cynicism but when members of an Indian delegation can turn up in London and be positive, I’m not sure I believe the rigorous testing that is apparently going on.

I don’t think I did mention Aus or NZ so  no worries there.

Shanks said no

Have to give a  👏👏👏 for Sturgeon. Honestly didn’t think she had the baws to do that to her beloved Glasgow.

To the people of Midlothian, you better get your act together or you will be next. 

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Have to give a  👏👏👏 for Sturgeon. Honestly didn’t think she had the baws to do that to her beloved Glasgow.

To the people of Midlothian, you better get your act together or you will be next. 

Perversely it casts up the possibility that Glasgow businesses stand to be better off than those elsewhere.  They're not being allowed to open up until next week or whenever the decision is made.  Other regions are opening but could face being told to close again if cases rise,  by which time Glasgow will open up.  Opening and then having to shut again is worse.  

Hopefully more knowledge will be known by the time that comes around and it's decided that areas can remain in level 2.  

9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

No becuse the India variant is in Scotland and Jason Leitch is saying it’s due to travel. I have deliberately used a link from the National so I can’t be accused of picking a pro union source.  

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19296493.covid-scotland-up-30-cases-indian-variant-coronavirus-detected/

It’s obvious people dodge the system of isolation and testing. Rumour has it that’s what happened. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

300 Hibs fans disappointed also, hard to criticise that 😆😂

48 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

It would appear you are the idiot, the jab was an intelligence test...you failed.

Bilderbergplan.jpg

I tell you what, if that was in any way what was happening right now, then we are utterly ****ed. Since the lockdown tanked the economy, if its only you lot left behind then the productivity rate will be negative - tin-foil hat wearing, unemployed youtube viewing, manky joggy bottoms wearing unproductive morons contributing less than **** all to society. Unless watching Lorraine and viewing alt-right video sites somehow becomes monetized... 

We'd be as well going back into the primordial ooze. 

17 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

That's the level of your retardation FAB...you put your faith in a site that says fact checkers as if that's game set and match. I got some magic beans that cure your retardation....fact.

Well, whatever you're taking to cure it isn't working. 

Edited by Gizmo

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I am. Hopefully it doesn’t last two long for them and doesn’t spread to other areas of the countries. 

The weegies will be raging……just watch them leave gleaga in their droves to party elsewhere (anywhere)

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I tell you what, if that was in any way what was happening right now, then we are utterly ****ed. Since the lockdown tanked the economy, if its only you lot left behind then the productivity rate will be negative - tin-foil hat wearing, unemployed youtube viewing, manky joggy bottoms wearing unproductive morons contributing less than **** all to society. Unless watching Lorraine and viewing alt-right video sites somehow becomes monetized... 

:jjyay:

Enzo Chiefo
48 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The 127k figure is very misleading. The median age of Covid deaths is higher than UK life expectancy. The majority of those who died woukd probably have succumbed or did succumb to whatever was circulating or indeed to other co-morbidities.  It could be argued that every decision made by those in power "cost lives" to a minimal degree. Equally,  building new roads also "costs lives". 

Jeffros Furios
7 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Excellent post .

Governor Tarkin
53 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Bojo deploying the army to Blackburn and Bolton areas.

Should've done this years ago.

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Who are they and how did the status of our borders change by January last year? But if the public enquiry takes as simplistic an approach based largely on hindsight at least it will be quick and cheap.

Come on now frankie boy, don't be cute. 

You know exactly what happened and who made those decisions. 

I'll give you a clue.....sleaze, lying to parliament, mistresses, shite taste in home decor. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Look how long the two week circuit breaker lasted. 

Feel sorry for the businesses that have spent money thinking they will open back up on Monday  

Its only going to get worse over the weekend in Glasgow before it gets better 

They have no one to blame but themselves. After all, people make Glasgow. 

We even have poster in here saying they would take part in an illegal gathering again, without caring if they spread infection or not.

Seems protecting the rights of immigrants, who may or may not be here legally is far more important then protecting the rights of Glaswegians not to catch Covid and face hospitalisation. Also more important then people whose businesses were desperately hoping to face lighter restrictions in Level 2.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

The weegies will be raging……just watch them leave gleaga in their droves to party elsewhere (anywhere)

Not supposed to travel, the pubs with outdoor spaces will be rammed, especially 6pm when the Huns arrive 😆😂
Might be longer than a week, shame. 

The Valneva clinical trial is different to the other ones.  Instead of being a double blind placebo control trial,  it's a double blind AstraZeneca vaccine control.  They're going to compare Valneva's performance against AZ.

manaliveits105
18 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

They’re friendly people so they are definettly 

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The 127k figure is very misleading. The median age of Covid deaths is higher than UK life expectancy. The majority of those who died woukd probably have succumbed or did succumb to whatever was circulating or indeed to other co-morbidities.  It could be argued that every decision made by those in power "cost lives" to a minimal degree. Equally,  building new roads also "costs lives". 

There's not 127,000 dead? 

highlandjambo3
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not supposed to travel, the pubs with outdoor spaces will be rammed, especially 6pm when the Huns arrive 😆😂
Might be longer than a week, shame. 

They will care not a jot

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

It’s obvious people dodge the system of isolation and testing. Rumour has it that’s what happened. 

The MP for Moray will no doubt do something about that. Red card perhaps. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

They will care not a jot

They never do, hence they’ve had more cases than anywhere else. Personal hygiene also an issue of course. 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

To be fair he has a valid point.  Some of the 127,000 would have died due to some other cause during the past 14 months or so.  How many?  Who knows?  Probably nowhere near the figure EC has in mind.  

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Ah well, looks like a week in Edinburgh for me and the wife, now the SNP have shafted local Glasgow businesses.

Please keep away. You are not wanted. Business not shafted by SNP, and I am no fan if them, they have been shafted because of their own Glaswegian citizens who it seems are incapable of following hygiene guidelines, no surprise to anyone who has ever seen them visiting Tynecastle, incapable of following social distancing guidelines, see yesterdays attempt to stop lawful deportation, and incapable of the realisation if what they have done and are doing to their city. 

43 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Of course its due to travel, but travel via rUK

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Proud to say I was there yesterday. I sneaked out of work early and sprinted non stop til I got there. If I was working from home, I only had to walk across the road.

What an atmosphere, very friendly, cops were sound and openly spoke of their opposition to the what the van was doing.

Half an hour after I arrived, the message got our that our neighbours were being let go. It was an incredible event. My first protest and certainly wont be my last. An amazing buzz seeing the two lads walk out that van and we all marched together to the local Muslim centre.

I could hardly sleep last night, my heart was racing til about 2am.

Wow, in your mind, I'm sure you're a real life hero. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Boab said:

I’m sure the suspected offences that the two guys had allegedly committed has been lost in the whole melee yesterday.

As you say, well intentioned but if the guys were illegals then, as you say, it’s only delaying the inevitable.

What you won’t hear a lot is the harm that they cause to other people. It creates a black market in various nefarious activities ran by pretty dodgy people.

We can’t choose which laws to obey at the end of the day.

Let's hope that the two are deported eventually, if of course they are guilty of the  offences that led to this situation. 

All they do is make it harder for other immigrants who don't break laws or visa guidelines. 

Brighton Jambo
8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Of course its due to travel, but travel via rUK

And via Ireland - I thought you might ‘forget’ that part.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Enzo Chiefo
15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You were implying that ministerial decisions cost the lives of 127k. That's not true.

There are 600k deaths every year in the UK and I am pointing out that every decision "costs lives".  Locking down "cost" the lives of people who missed treatment or diagnosis of a serious illness due to the NHS effectively becoming a Covid only service. Where do you draw the line?

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wow, in your mind, I'm sure you're a real life hero. 

:D Hero is of course not the appropriate term here but @OmiyaHearts did a good thing, the right thing, and should be commended. Good for him. :thumb:

Enzo Chiefo
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

To be fair he has a valid point.  Some of the 127,000 would have died due to some other cause during the past 14 months or so.  How many?  Who knows?  Probably nowhere near the figure EC has in mind.  

Just to clarify; I'm not implying there weren't thousands of deaths directly caused by Covid,  just highlighting the fact that 127k can't be pinned on govt decision makers. 

You're right though...who knows how many?

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

And via Ireland - I thought you might ‘forget’ that part.  

??? I give up, it's like pulling teeth trying to get a unionist to admit that the SG were correct in being more restrictive in who could enter the country. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic