Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The thing is, the first lockdown worked. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths came down from their March/April peaks to almost zero during the summer.  

What is different now?  Some hospitality open, retail open, schools open, universities open, workplaces open, personal services open.  I think the cause(s) of the current situation can be found in that list 

I agree that the death rates are/were unacceptable.  Care homes were a case in point, but I do believe that the country could be regarded as "unhealthy" when compared with other European nations.

they had peaked before lockdown kicked-in according to “the (alternative) science”

They're rising again because the virus is acting seasonally - again according to “the (alternative) science”

the same alternative science which exposed the no-one can ever recover from covid in the death stats and witty and valances 4000 deaths a day based on out of date data

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Carters Rest by any chance or Belter's Bar (stunning burgers from here).

Whatever’s open, and allow dogs 😆. I usually take them on a walk around town on Xmas day but never go in to the pubs. Carters is usually open for Xmas meals I think. 

37 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The funniest thing about that piece is the description of that charlatan Mike Russell as ‘Nats bigwig’!

:vrface:

If incompetence was Mike Russell’s best friend it would also think he’s useless. 

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

If he did say that, then I think it gave the wrong impression. Our case rates were gradually declining until the plateau in which we find ourselves currently stuck. The situation over the last month can be seen in the graph below taken from Travelling Tabby today.

1875602704_Screenshotat2020-12-1815-34-10.png.874183be0f74a03ed3316737667a6578.png

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18951039.coronavirus-scotland-deputy-first-minister-warns-rising-tide-covid-19/

i could have picked any paper from yesterday and this was the quote.  Scaremongering at its best.  

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Many people who vote SNP do so simply because they favour independence. They don’t give a rat’s ass how incompetent the SG are.

No other reason to vote for them. It's not as if all Scotland's ills will disappear in an Independent country. The only difference is they can't blame anybody for their incompetence but I'm sure they'll find someone.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

So SNP, relying on polls. Out of date ones at that

Did the polls not say that Scotland would vote for independence in 2014?

How did that turn out again :lol:

Hi Nucky.

Its like ground hog day on this with most topics. Ill repeat my stance again re Independence. I voted Yes in 2014 and will probably vote Yes again.  However i was chatting to a friend the other day there and he came up with an interesting  theory. Imagine if the SNP didn't have their main policy of Independence.  ?  Would people be voting for them in droves with due to their other policies?  Maybe yes and maybe no.  However what is definite is they do get many votes due to their main policy of Independence. Imagine if Labour changed their policy regarding Independence. They would then get more votes in Scotland i feel. You are completely right about polls. They mean nothing until the voter is in the polling station.  There will be an all out assault from anti Independence parties at the next vote .  They will point out whether it is true or not Scotland cannot be economically independent due to a variety of reasons. Old people will be scared shitless regarding pensions etc like the last time. Again rightly or wrongly.  But what is certain is the economy was the main reason Independence didn't happen in 2014.  it is the SG Achilles heel and we all know that the Scottish and British economy will be well fecked for the next few years.  Even before Covid  i argued with my fellow Indy supporters about the timing of another referendum.  I felt it should be in 10 - 15 years.  My argument was it was worth the wait and by that time many of the No voters would no longer be with us and maybe a better economic argument would also be put forward?  However i faced a furious backlash by blind sided fanatics of Indy. ( im also betting that BJ has been made such a fool of by NS due to her admittedly slick and informative presentation of daily briefings and in some ways Covid ( apart from old folks homes) that his revenge will be to take Health out of the devolved powers of the SG.  

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The significant majority of areas for the last couple of days shows cases numbers falling but I read in media today John Swinney saying we are riding a tidal wave of new infections.

They are literally just making it up as they go along.  How are they not held to greater account.  

Yes they love the fear factor language   " tidal wave."  dont they realise  the impact this has on peoples mental health or are already very worried.  No need to answer its a rhetorical question. 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes they love the fear factor language   " tidal wave."  dont they realise  the impact this has on peoples mental health or are already very worried.  No need to answer its a rhetorical question. 

What annoys everyone is that they never get questioned about the things they say 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

This reads like an official SG statement in its slavish devotion to the long discredited notion that the SG strategy has been a resounding success. You have spent months bumming up the SG in general and FM in particular. Nobody takes you seriously mate.

Every post a derogatory and personal comment. Why can't you engage with the issues?

Can you back up your statement that this government's resounding success has been discredited?  

I don't believe you can because i'm not aware of anybody claiming what the SG has done is a resounding success. It's just a strawman argument.

I'm challenging those who want us to believe the the SG and UK gov are equally inept in their treatment of the pandemic. I am claiming they are significantly different simply because the death rate is around 40% hiigher in the rest of Britain. That's a big difference and so i can't see how they can both be given the same rating for dealing with the virus.

I'm also told that people do not support the SG but i post poll figures to show that they do. The polls also show that people do not support the UK government's handling of the pandemic. This also seriously undermines the "open the pubs" faction view that our strategy has made no difference. 

I haven' bummed anybody or anything up. Lot's of things could have been done better and the pandemic is not yet finished and there are probably a few twists and turns yet but the constant rubbishing of a relatively successful Scottish approach and the personal attacks on the FM and those who are involved in forming and implementing the strategy are despicable imo.

I'm sure any normal person would not want to be associated with the level of abuse dished out on here to individuals like the FM and CMO and it seems that anybody like me who wants to challenge  this abuse is immediately branded a cultist incapable of thinking for themselves. This i believe is why so many excellent posters no longer contribute to political threads on JKB.

Why don't you try and debate the points rather than indulge in personal attacks?

24 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18951039.coronavirus-scotland-deputy-first-minister-warns-rising-tide-covid-19/

i could have picked any paper from yesterday and this was the quote.  Scaremongering at its best.  

As you can see from the previous graph, there had been a bit of rise in the cases from the 12th onwards but the last few days have seen these come down again. I would agree that referring to this yesterday as a "rising tide" was not the most accurate or responsible thing to do, from a Scottish viewpoint at least. We are stuck on a plateau at the moment and need to try to get figures moving downwards again in order to keep pressure off the hospitals, but it's not a rising tide right now, imo. You're correct in that we have to be as realistic as possible.

Edited by redjambo

4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Every post a derogatory and personal comment. Why can't you engage with the issues?

Can you back up your statement that this government's resounding success has been discredited?  

I don't believe you can because i'm not aware of anybody claiming what the SG has done is a resounding success. It's just a strawman argument.

I'm challenging those who want us to believe the the SG and UK gov are equally inept in their treatment of the pandemic. I am claiming they are significantly different simply because the death rate is around 40% hiigher in the rest of Britain. That's a big difference and so i can't see how they can both be given the same rating for dealing with the virus.

I'm also told that people do not support the SG but i post poll figures to show that they do. The polls also show that people do not support the UK government's handling of the pandemic. This also seriously undermines the "open the pubs" faction view that our strategy has made no difference. 

I haven' bummed anybody or anything up. Lot's of things could have been done better and the pandemic is not yet finished and there are probably a few twists and turns yet but the constant rubbishing of a relatively successful Scottish approach and the personal attacks on the FM and those who are involved in forming and implementing the strategy are despicable imo.

I'm sure any normal person would not want to be associated with the level of abuse dished out on here to individuals like the FM and CMO and it seems that anybody like me who wants to challenge  this abuse is immediately branded a cultist incapable of thinking for themselves. This i believe is why so many excellent posters no longer contribute to political threads on JKB.

Why don't you try and debate the points rather than indulge in personal attacks?

Where are you getting the 40% higher death rate in rUK v Scotland? As of tonight there have been 66,541 deaths in the whole UK with Scotland now over 6k, given that >90% of the population is rUK how did you work out this 40%

How you can come on here and defend the dissolved administration on almost everything when they have been far from squeaky clean is baffling IMO. What’s your take on their handling of Care Homes at the beginning of the pandemic?

An idea of how we are doing with respect to the rest of the UK. As you can see, the whole of the UK *is* on a rising tide of cases. Scotland currently isn't.

2012517473_Screenshotat2020-12-1818-26-37.png.560363a1f1d556033d988f2faa584aa1.png

Edited by redjambo

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for the details. It has all the appearances of a situation that needs nipped in the bud pronto before it escalates. I hope that the SG are watching attentively and willing to jump in sooner rather than later.

Which is why the Borders will be getting moved into tier 2 maybe even tier 3 within the next week, by the looks of things, I'd think.

10 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The death rates are absolutely horrendous in both countries. The fact that just being better than England (used deliberately rather than ‘the rest of the UK) is viewed as some sort of success or validation of the SG is an absolute tragedy. It’s a mess but not as much of a mess as England so it’s fine? Sad. 

Brighton Jambo
59 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's almost like certain posters on here are paid to defend Scottish government. If they aren't, then they should be because their devotion to the cause is unwavering and unshakeable. 

Drug deaths - not their fault, care home scandal -  nothing to see here, education exam shambles - what about England though, covid death rate -  nah, NS brilliant and not her responsibility. 

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. 

I have had enough of it.  We try and have a conversation and the same posters come on and just tell lies to defend the SG.  The biggest lie being that we have done better on deaths.  So I have done some homework.  

The population of UK is 67.89 million. (Source google)

The population of Scotland is 5.46 million. (Source google)

So UK as a whole has a population 12.43 times the size of Scotland.

ONS excess death figures for March till December (using excess as only true figure because it includes impact of lockdown and Covid)

UK -79,716

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-55316924

Scotland - 6389

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-52214177

So UK as a whole had an excess death figure 12.45 times the size of Scotland.  

Or another way based on that data-

UK - 1.17 excess deaths per thousand of population 

Scotland 1.17 deaths per thousand of population 

I am sorry that these figures are so grim and I don’t like using them to make a point but I am so sick of having every perceived criticism of SG countered by the lie that we are doing better with deaths so it must be working.  We aren’t, we are doing the same as rest of UK despite suffering longer and harder restrictions than most other areas.  

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Whatever’s open, and allow dogs 😆. I usually take them on a walk around town on Xmas day but never go in to the pubs. Carters is usually open for Xmas meals I think. 

Couldn't tell you what will be open on Christmas day, my oldest daughter will know, she lives up the Castlegate and both the Carters & Belters are her regular watering holes.  I've never been in the Carters Bar as it's usually the Belters Bar we end up in, when down in Jed.

Just now, GinRummy said:

The death rates are absolutely horrendous in both countries. The fact that just being better than England (used deliberately rather than ‘the rest of the UK) is viewed as some sort of success or validation of the SG is an absolute tragedy. It’s a mess but not as much of a mess as England so it’s fine? Sad. 

What do you mean when you say  "The fact that just being better than England (used deliberately rather than ‘the rest of the UK" ? 

I never said it was fine and i never implied that it was acceptable just because we are better than England. You are making that up. All i am saying is that we are significantly better than the rest of Britain. That's the bit that hurts - the idea that Scotland is better and could be better still. Why cant you see that we are significantly better?

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I have had enough of it.  We try and have a conversation and the same posters come on and just tell lies to defend the SG.  The biggest lie being that we have done better on deaths.  So I have done some homework.  

The population of UK is 67.89 million. (Source google)

The population of Scotland is 5.46 million. (Source google)

So UK as a whole has a population 12.43 times the size of Scotland.

ONS excess death figures for March till December (using excess as only true figure because it includes impact of lockdown and Covid)

UK -79,716

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-55316924

Scotland - 6389

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-52214177

So UK as a whole had an excess death figure 12.45 times the size of Scotland.  

Or another way based on that data-

UK - 1.17 excess deaths per thousand of population 

Scotland 1.17 deaths per thousand of population 

I am sorry that these figures are so grim and I don’t like using them to make a point but I am so sick of having every perceived criticism of SG countered by the lie that we are doing better with deaths so it must be working.  We aren’t, we are doing the same as rest of UK despite suffering longer and harder restrictions than most other areas.  

In future, to save you the need to work these figures out, you can get them at https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/deaths (see the "Alternative Death Counts by Country / Region" section at the bottom). They are more or less in agreement with your figures regarding the per-capita excess deaths.

Just now, coconut doug said:

What do you mean when you say  "The fact that just being better than England (used deliberately rather than ‘the rest of the UK" ? 

I never said it was fine and i never implied that it was acceptable just because we are better than England. You are making that up. All i am saying is that we are significantly better than the rest of Britain. That's the bit that hurts - the idea that Scotland is better and could be better still. Why cant you see that we are significantly better?

Whataboutery at its best. Absolutely tragic. I’m sure the folk who have lost relatives or lost their jobs take a great comfort knowing that our absolutely disgraceful figures are better than the rest of Britain. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Whataboutery at its best. Absolutely tragic. I’m sure the folk who have lost relatives or lost their jobs take a great comfort knowing that our absolutely disgraceful figures are better than the rest of Britain. 

*significantly better than the rest of Britain.

:muggy:

25 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Watch out they'll set the dogs on you. 😏 

I think the reason the Independence vote has remained strong is because of the extreme ring wing Tory government. 

A previous poster nailed it for me when he said the SNP would find an Independence supporting Labour Party a creditable challenge. 

The Labour Party in Scotland has to lose the 'branch office' image or the SNP will dominate permanently. 

As for the Tories in Scotland

😂😂😂

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

I think the reason the Independence vote has remained strong is because of the extreme ring wing Tory government. 

A previous poster nailed it for me when he said the SNP would find an Independence supporting Labour Party a creditable challenge. 

The Labour Party in Scotland has to lose the 'branch office' image or the SNP will dominate permanently. 

😂😂😂

We will see how the SNP vote really holds up at the ballot box.

There is a lot of shit heading their way from this year, through the Salmond cover-ups, and continuing Covid shambles.

Will people really trust them as a credible government to make us independent in a post-Brexit, post-Covid recession?

Brighton Jambo
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In future, to save you the need to work these figures out, you can get them at https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/deaths (see the "Alternative Death Counts by Country / Region" section at the bottom). They are more or less in agreement with your figures regarding the per-capita excess deaths.

Thanks, boy I wish I had known about that before I did that.  I’m not a natural with numbers! 

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There is a lot of shit heading their way from this year, through the Salmond cover-ups, and continuing Covid shambles.

Will people really trust them as a credible government to make us independent in a post-Brexit, post-Covid recession?

Who else are people going to vote for ? 

The crooked Tories or The Labour Party branch office. 

At least the SG has not been helping their friends in big business to corner the market in PPE. 

A scandal in the making. 

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

At least the SG has not been helping their friends in big business to corner the market in PPE. 

A scandal in the making. 

Very true. In this country there is no credible opposition.  

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Couldn't tell you what will be open on Christmas day, my oldest daughter will know, she lives up the Castlegate and both the Carters & Belters are her regular watering holes.  I've never been in the Carters Bar as it's usually the Belters Bar we end up in, when down in Jed.

Both good pubs, not been in for a while though. 

2 hours ago, weehammy said:

Many people who vote SNP do so simply because they favour independence. They don’t give a rat’s ass how incompetent the SG are.

Clearly then you do not wish to debate the issues under discussion.

4 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The significant majority of areas for the last couple of days shows cases numbers falling but I read in media today John Swinney saying we are riding a tidal wave of new infections.

They are literally just making it up as they go along.  How are they not held to greater account.  

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yet another misrepresentation. Swinney was warning of a rising tide of infection. He was apprehensive about what might happen over Xmas with increased travel and human interaction. This against a backdrop of increasing infections elsewhere in the UK.

Just about every politician and scientist i have heard over the last two weeks has done the same.

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

😂😂😂

I think this is the big chance for Indy. Looks to me like the SNP are not interested and so there just might be a place for an alternative to the SNP. The Labour party would need to change a lot though.

Felix Lighter

Farts, still enjoyably pungent. Covid free in Chateau FL , according to the science anyway. :2thumbsup:

Edited by Felix Lighter

10 minutes ago, weehammy said:

If I wished to debate the merits or otherwise of independence I’d do so on the appropriate thread. This one is for Covid discussion.

The discussion with you and others was not about indy. It was about SG performance in the pandemic and how it was perceived by the public. 

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

You have consistently conflated these quite different things though haven’t you? I repeat - those who favour independence will continue to vote SNP regardless of their perceptions of SG handling of the pandemic.

Yes the conversation has been about covid and the link to how an independence vote may go so is acceptable to discuss on this thread surely ? 

12 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

How the public perceive it by election time might be very different 

Indeed it might but as far as i am aware at present the strategy adopted in Scotland is popular and the that of the UK government is not.

7 minutes ago, weehammy said:

You have consistently conflated these quite different things though haven’t you? I repeat - those who favour independence will continue to vote SNP regardless of their perceptions of SG handling of the pandemic.

I haven't conflated anything. i was talking about these two issues (gov performance and how it is perceived) exclusively. 

The notion that SNP voters do not care about gov performance is beside the point. The government's approval rating on this is massive. It is around 70% iirc which is nearly twice the SNP vote at recent elections. 

People approve of the govt's performance, that is absolutely clear. Whether that opinion is justified or not is another matter but obviously a related matter and it was that i was trying to debate.

It's just a little bit simplistic, not to mention insulting to suggest that around 70% of Scots are incapable of reaching a rational decision on the matter. 

Perception on watching BBC and  Channel 4 national news tonight from their correspondents is that NI, Wales and large parts of England are on the brink, with Scotland, managing.

Lockdown in Scotland should be far from a fait accompli and certainly as others mention no need for notably Islands and D&G to be chucked in with the rest of us.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Comparing things is how you know one thing is better than another. Trying to invalidate comparison in this way helps nobody. 

I wish we'd followed the German approach at the start. I know theirs was a better response because they had much better stats than us. Is it o.k. to compare in that way? 

19 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Indeed it might but as far as i am aware at present the strategy adopted in Scotland is popular and the that of the UK government is not.

I haven't met anyone who would agree with that.

I have no idea where these polls are interviewing but strongly suspect they will look very flawed once the ballot papers are counted.

22 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I’m not convinced by that either though. The polls are pretty consistent, however there is a lot of things that may change when we get out of this. As normality returns it could get uncomfortable for some in Governments around the world, and there are questions to be answered here in Scotland for sure. 

Whatever you or I think, or the reality is, loads of people think Nicola is doing a good job, in difficult circumstances. 

I think all political leaders in the UK and the rest of the world will be up against it trying to win reelection.

I fully expect Labour to win a landslide over the Tories next GE.

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

A scandal in the making. 

Yeah.  Things peachy with the SG over big projects like the Sick Kids and that new Glasgow hospital.

Remind me when the Sick Kids was due to open?

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I fully expect Labour to win a landslide over the Tories next GE.

Not a chance Frank.

3 hours ago, theshed said:

What annoys everyone is that they never get questioned about the things they say 

Because the standard of opposition is deficienct.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Historical SNP voters may well have lost faith in their party but what's the alternative?

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

A scandal in the making. 

Nobody. Voter's may well vote with their feet come May.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Very true. In this country there is no credible opposition.  

Unfortunately this is the driving force behind the Nationalists success. Pretty sad indictment on Scottish politics.

Depressing 😩

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Strangely enough I would be front and centre of our celebration, a BLM gathering and in Diggers 😱🤷🏾‍♂️😆
It will be open 12-2pm for takeaway on Sunday but no dispensation in case we win I’m afraid. 

Cheers Pasquale.  I thought you would be 👍

Scottish public health minister Joe FitzPatrick loses job over drug deaths crisis

Scottish public health minister Joe FitzPatrick has lost his job over the country’s drug deaths crisis.

His position was untenable at the very least. 

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-public-health-minister-joe-fitzpatrick-loses-job-over-drug-deaths-crisis-3073562

Dodgy drugs, due to lockdown, wrecked body couldn’t cope with the crap they mix and cut the drugs to make them go farther.

10 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Where are you getting the 40% higher death rate in rUK v Scotland? As of tonight there have been 66,541 deaths in the whole UK with Scotland now over 6k, given that >90% of the population is rUK how did you work out this 40%

How you can come on here and defend the dissolved administration on almost everything when they have been far from squeaky clean is baffling IMO. What’s your take on their handling of Care Homes at the beginning of the pandemic?

Scotland 4,203

England 57, 722

Wales 2,973

NI 1,154

Confirmed Covid deaths. Putting covid on a death certificate does not mean the person died of Covid. 

Pretty shite numbers all round. 

Maybe the people breaking advice and lockdown rules should buy a mirror. 

As for the likes of @Brighton Jambo two people can play your game of numbers. 

England is 10 bigger than Scotland yet it has about 14 times the death count. Wales are starting to lose control and NI should think twice about listening to anyone from the mainland. Bit I suppose the NI know what do in a crisis situation, pity we don't follow their lead and do as we're fecking told, for once. 

And one more thing, England has all the power to do what is needed, the other 3 don't. If we had all the power, I'd shut the place down for month, no one in no one out. Let the virus die, then open up with only vaccinated people allowed or out. 

You see, this ain't a competition, it's a fecking Tragedy, and all we hear on hear is friggin unionist bampots bumping their friggin gums. 

So now, I've had enough, let's go! 

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

Would an independent Scotland be governed by Brussels? 

4 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

Would an independent Scotland be governed by Brussels? 

Wrong thread. 

Edited by ri Alban

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic