Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Tbf a lot of students probably can’t spell collateral these days so we can’t blame them for not knowing the damage they are doing to us....😏

😄

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Here is Edinburgh’s problem as I said earlier “students!”  We the general public are carrying the can for their failure to follow the rules. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-covid-latest-pollock-halls-19426110

Still see them every day not adhering to the rules re meeting up in groups

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Australia and New Zealand do this as well, as far as I am aware. No surprise that all three countries have been far more successful in suppressing the virus than we have.

Although in the Aussies case, the security guards shagging the isolators did lead to an outbreak! It has worked generally however and, as an island, we had the perfect opportunity to do this and for it to work (although this would clearly take agreement from all UK countries). 

Pasquale for King

Students should never have been allowed to come back or into the city, my lecturer told us in 2008 that in the future all courses would be online. Most of them are now so there was no need to bring them into the city at all as it’s was always going to be a problem. Now we are wasting money testing them that didn’t need to be spent. All so that private landlords and universities that make hundreds of millions in profits every year didn’t lose any money. 
Test them, allow them to go home and tell them to ****ing stay there. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The decision to keep Edinburgh in Level Three could cost pubs up to £3.2 million in revenue in lost turnover, reports The Scottish Beer & Pub Association (SBPA). 

The Scottish Beer & Pub Association (SBPA) has today said that the decision to keep the City of Edinburgh in Level 3, despite the indicators showing continued improvement, has meant that 185 pubs have had to remain shut. 

Currently, SBPA analysis suggests that only 92 pubs in the city are open in Level 3, if moved to Level 2 that would increase to 277 (60% of Edinburgh’s pubs and bars).

SBPA CEO Emma McClarkin said: “The decision yesterday to keep Edinburgh in Level 3 was absolutely heartbreaking for the 185 pubs and bars that would otherwise have been able to open and start rebuilding their trade.

Thanks for that.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Fine. So let’s accept that Boris and Matt Hancock are also doing their best.

They’re all struggling to keep up with this crisis and have all made many mistakes and misjudgements.

My gripe with Sturgeon is that she has attempted to gain political advantage from it.

Has her pals made billions of pounds from it? 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, weehammy said:

They’re all struggling to keep up with this crisis and have all made many mistakes and misjudgements.

My gripe with Sturgeon is that she has attempted to gain political advantage from it.

As opposed to the two you mentioned greasing the palms of friends and donors with billions of pounds for a poor return?

9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Has her pals made billions of pounds from it? 

Does Boris tell lies to Parliament or hold unminuted secret meetings?

17 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Yeah but their best is fairly shit that’s the problem 

SSUED: 09 DECEMBER 2020 

Important Information 

Advice around allergic reactions 

Precautionary advice has been issued today after it emerged that two people, with a history of allergic reactions, developed symptoms of anaphylactoid reaction shortly after receiving the vaccine. 

Both people carried an adrenaline auto injector and had a strong past history of allergic reactions and recovered after receiving appropriate treatment. 
However as a result, new advice has been issued across the country: 

1. Any person with a history of a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food (such as previous history of anaphylactoid reaction or those who have 
been advised to carry an adrenaline autoinjector) should not receive the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine. 

2. Anaphylaxis kits are available in all clinics at all sites in Lothian. 
An investigation is underway and more advice and information will be made available as quickly as possible. 
Please report any suspected adverse reactions via the Yellow Card scheme. To make a report or find out more about the Yellow Card COVID-19 reporting site visit: Coronavirus Yellow Card reporting site https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
Vaccinators should also report any immediate serious reactions and any serious or urgent administration errors as soon as possible on the same day to the health protection team at 

redacted.............................,,
This is in addition to coronavirus yellow card for adverse events and datix for administration errors. 
The form to complete in the event of an adverse event in vaccination clinics has also been issued and is available in the Resources Section in the Vaccine Hub on the Intranet. 

Toxteth O'Grady
31 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not blaming students. Blaming government and universities for bringing them back in first place. 

It was the Unis that brought them here needing the money for accommodation and the government was sleeping

Weakened Offender
55 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Please tell me that's a joke and that you're not actually that much of an imbecile. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

I think BJ and cronies have done more than anyone except Trump to gain from it politically its the fact they did that to the detriment of peoples health that caused the whole country to devolve decision making on it. In my opinion of course. Tbf though Hancock just hides behind the tree cuddling it as no one likes him while Cummings controls BJ (spitting image ref there)

29 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

SSUED: 09 DECEMBER 2020 

Important Information 

Advice around allergic reactions 

Precautionary advice has been issued today after it emerged that two people, with a history of allergic reactions, developed symptoms of anaphylactoid reaction shortly after receiving the vaccine. 

Both people carried an adrenaline auto injector and had a strong past history of allergic reactions and recovered after receiving appropriate treatment. 
However as a result, new advice has been issued across the country: 

1. Any person with a history of a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food (such as previous history of anaphylactoid reaction or those who have 
been advised to carry an adrenaline autoinjector) should not receive the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine. 

2. Anaphylaxis kits are available in all clinics at all sites in Lothian. 
An investigation is underway and more advice and information will be made available as quickly as possible. 
Please report any suspected adverse reactions via the Yellow Card scheme. To make a report or find out more about the Yellow Card COVID-19 reporting site visit: Coronavirus Yellow Card reporting site https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
Vaccinators should also report any immediate serious reactions and any serious or urgent administration errors as soon as possible on the same day to the health protection team at 

redacted.............................,,
This is in addition to coronavirus yellow card for adverse events and datix for administration errors. 
The form to complete in the event of an adverse event in vaccination clinics has also been issued and is available in the Resources Section in the Vaccine Hub on the Intranet. 

Food being on that list is a massive concern. Will require a lot of further info for a lot of people. As i said earlier that is something that should have been released before the vaccine was just handed out. They have to have known (i was told earlier a years worth of trials were carried out in 2months) that was a concern for some people or am i missing something? 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Boris is hiding everything about Brexit , he passed a law saying they dont have to tell anyone what is happening with it. End of they have all made mistakes but Sturgeon has been praised by many leaders around the world for her attempts. BJ and pals have been slated and caused such a **** up by faffing initially and not putting in enough regulations then opening London up to keep their mates happy (imo😉)

17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Please tell me that's a joke and that you're not actually that much of an imbecile. 

You're inherent bias is clouding your credibility.  Could Boris soon be forced into resigning because of a lie he told to Parliament? At least he operates in a democratic parliament with MP's on his own side able to think for themselves and vote against him. Compare that the totalitarian cess pit we have up here.

50 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I agree that NS and the SG in general believe in what they're doing. I just happen to believe that their beliefs are fundamentally incompatible with mine, and the general wellbeing of the population in general.

Fair play , one question , what do you mean in terms of the bold bit? 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're inherent bias is clouding your credibility.  Could Boris soon be forced into resigning because of a lie he told to Parliament? At least he operates in a democratic parliament with MP's on his own side able to think for themselves and vote against him. Compare that the totalitarian cess pit we have up here.

Do you really believe that? Most votes of any importance they are told how to vote its how parliament works. Ie take Andrew Bowie. He has never voted for anything that assists the people who voted him in. He has instead voted several times with the government on policies that have ****ed over his constituents. (I know its not just Tories that do this before you say im saying that) its how parliaments work. Come on Enzo you are not a daft lad. Surely you can admit there has been huge mistakes made by BJ and his pals on covid. Far more than NS has made at least in the opinion of other leaders and people in the public domain?

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They strike me, in the very best British toff tradition, of being a bunch of keen gentleman amateurs who, having risen to their positions of power, have discovered that 'this governing lark is a bit of bugger, old chap'.

Wouldn't trust the London lot nor the Edinburgh lot to run a bath, let alone a country.

Check out Spitting Image 2020 that description is perfect for how they are portrayed , so much so i read that in my head in Boris’s voice

Just now, sadj said:

Boris is hiding everything about Brexit , he passed a law saying they dont have to tell anyone what is happening with it. End of they have all made mistakes but Sturgeon has been praised by many leaders around the world for her attempts. BJ and pals have been slated and caused such a **** up by faffing initially and not putting in enough regulations then opening London up to keep their mates happy (imo😉)

Sturgeon talks a good game but with very little , if any, substance.  In reality,  she has made exactly the same catastrophic mistakes and misjudgments that Boris has. She also runs a tyrannical operation, with a compliant media, and has a propensity for not minuting meetings, obfuscation and spending tax payers money, rUK taxpayers included,  on all sorts of pet projects for personal gain. Next time she whines about "respecting the will of the Scooaaatish parliament ", remember how she treats the same Parliament when votes go against her.

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Do you really believe that? Most votes of any importance they are told how to vote its how parliament works. Ie take Andrew Bowie. He has never voted for anything that assists the people who voted him in. He has instead voted several times with the government on policies that have ****ed over his constituents. (I know its not just Tories that do this before you say im saying that) its how parliaments work. Come on Enzo you are not a daft lad. Surely you can admit there has been huge mistakes made by BJ and his pals on covid. Far more than NS has made at least in the opinion of other leaders and people in the public domain?

Absolutely Sadj, Boris has made an a**e of his Covid response. But WM operates in a far more democratic way than Holyrood. When they vote, as they did under Theresa May, not literally😃, to release legal advice, it was released. All the WM parties have different opinions and break the "whip". Compare that to the SNP who vote like sheep and, apparently,  "think the same"....apart from those who secretly voted for Brexit🤫

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sturgeon talks a good game but with very little , if any, substance.  In reality,  she has made exactly the same catastrophic mistakes and misjudgments that Boris has. She also runs a tyrannical operation, with a compliant media, and has a propensity for not minuting meetings, obfuscation and spending tax payers money, rUK taxpayers included,  on all sorts of pet projects for personal gain. Next time she whines about "respecting the will of the Scooaaatish parliament ", remember how she treats the same Parliament when votes go against her.

Enzo that description could fit BJ also. Lest we forget two weeks ago BJ all but said its ok to bully staff. 

Personally I don’t believe the mistakes made by NS are as bad as the main UK governments have been. 

All are complicit in allowing people to travel in and out the country and relying on them to do the right thing. There is no fear of breaking the rules. So people do just do what they like. 

Imagine they had locked the entire country down at the first sign with military on the street. Stopped travel to the country and said when you do travel to this country you are made to self isolate. Collected off the tarmac for instance taken to hotels and forced to stay in a room for 14 days.

The situation may well have been far more under control. Instead they faffed and faffed to keep their mates happy essentially

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Absolutely Sadj, Boris has made an a**e of his Covid response. But WM operates in a far more democratic way than Holyrood. When they vote, as they did under Theresa May, not literally😃, to release legal advice, it was released. All the WM parties have different opinions and break the "whip". Compare that to the SNP who vote like sheep and, apparently,  "think the same"....apart from those who secretly voted for Brexit🤫

Fair enough. I think part of that is relative to the size of the parliaments also. Its easier to break rank when there are more than 600 MPs. In terms of Brexit there is a mix in the SNP of Tory , Labour , Liberal and indeed now SNP mentalities, therefore you will always get some sort of differing thoughts on certain topics. 

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

Enzo that description could fit BJ also. Lest we forget two weeks ago BJ all but said its ok to bully staff. 

Personally I don’t believe the mistakes made by NS are as bad as the main UK governments have been. 

All are complicit in allowing people to travel in and out the country and relying on them to do the right thing. There is no fear of breaking the rules. So people do just do what they like. 

Imagine they had locked the entire country down at the first sign with military on the street. Stopped travel to the country and said when you do travel to this country you are made to self isolate. Collected off the tarmac for instance taken to hotels and forced to stay in a room for 14 days.

The situation may well have been far more under control. Instead they faffed and faffed to keep their mates happy essentially

Yes, I agree although the bullying row imo, having worked in offices in the late 80s and 90s, was more indicative of the world we live in now. I agree about the enforcement but we're a victim of our own soft-touch culture, skateboarding cops, appeasement rather than enforcement. I wouldn't have had a problem with the measures you suggest, back in March, instead of the community spirit pish that we keep getting fed. We're the outliers in Europe,  and the rest of the world, in terms of law and order. I would vote for any politician that bought water cannons👍

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Except for my poorly formed sentence with repetition of general, you mean? 😛 

I think that, like many governments, they have panicked and - perhaps justifiably given both our media and electoral systems - prioritised short term, visible and statistic-friendly action rather than looking at the bigger picture. The failings related to these actions will have sustained negative effects on everyone, from the auld dears in the care homes to the bairns being born this year: Jobs lost; Anxiety and mental health disorders on the rise; Isolation - the ultimate cruelty and punishment, as evidenced by solitary confinement in prisons - for folk across a variety of social groups. Screen time through the roof; Further division between maskers/anti-maskers, restriction adherents/dismissers etc after years of indy/EU nastiness and polemicism; Young people now convinced that their futures will be worse than previous generations due to the impending need for austerity measures; Over-reaction to colds and other illnesses; Obsessive compulsive hygiene going beyond what is necessary to live a normal life; Domestic violence increasing as a result of many of the pressures related to the previously mentioned points; Loss of income for those who do still have jobs and of course, the sad loss of lives - both Covid-related and those which may or may not have been hastened by action/inaction due to the collective monomania from Spring-Summer 2020 - the knock-on effect that each death has making difficult times even worse for many people.

The Scottish government's actions in relation to Covid - and in other aspects of their governance - betray a pattern of thought that suggests people, both at a societal and individual level, are not to be trusted; only through state intervention from the enlightened thinkers that populate the upper echelons of the party can we be saved from ourselves. Such a paternalistic, and what I would strongly suspect to be on some level, fearful mindset is, for me at least, a pretty poor starting point for any government. However, I can see the attraction of it for some folk - it's just not my cup of lapsang souchong.

Fair play , superb reply. It is a very difficult thing , personally I just think more could have been done initially to curb the spread a lot better and allow peoples lifes / lives 🤔 not to be so disrupted. 

I think on your second paragraph. People can’t be trusted. That is pretty obvious from the idiocy we have seen over the months. How much of that is frustration or due to feeling cooped up and needing the space to not go insane or worse is difficult to gauge. I think as a country Scotland has made less mistakes than others. I think Boris has made a complete arse of it but also have sympathy for him and indeed initially thought he was doing well. (I know that goes against my original statement)

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Loved the old series. However, as I mentioned on the Trump/Biden thread, when the reality is more absurd than anything the script writers could come up, the humour just isn't funny anymore! :( 

Have you seen the new series , def worth checking out a couple of the initial skits were pathetic but expected after that it settles in to no holds barred old style SI

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

A terrifying image, you've painted there! 

I'm glad to live in a country (whether that be UK or Scotland, before anyone jumps on that particular discussion) in which such a thought is unpalatable, even to complete wackos like BJ and control freaks like NS.

I know it is , but its essentially whats been done in some countries and they have then been able to go back to some form of normality while we have limped from mess to mess

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree although the bullying row imo, having worked in offices in the late 80s and 90s, was more indicative of the world we live in now. I agree about the enforcement but we're a victim of our own soft-touch culture, skateboarding cops, appeasement rather than enforcement. I wouldn't have had a problem with the measures you suggest, back in March, instead of the community spirit pish that we keep getting fed. We're the outliers in Europe,  and the rest of the world, in terms of law and order. I would vote for any politician that bought water cannons👍

Hahahaha brilliant. 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

I agree that NS and the SG in general believe in what they're doing. I just happen to believe that their beliefs are fundamentally incompatible with mine, and the general wellbeing of the population in general.

Yeah, not a fan of their ‘data driven tier system’ that we make up as we go along or their opposition to free speech. See Jeanne Freeman’s idea that freedom of information requests be banned and Humza Yousef’s 1984-style prosecution of what you say in your own house. Fortunately, the parliament as a whole isn’t quite at the burning books stage yet. 🙄

To pre-empt it, I voted yes before the curtain-twitchers call the braveheart gestapo.

The decision to shut pubs and many businesses has obviously seen a massive drop in turnover.

It hasn't seen much of a drop in profit/wage in the landlord's pocket. 

Please don't believe the garbage spouted.

16 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The decision to shut pubs and many businesses has obviously seen a massive drop in turnover.

Not sure people on either side are saying landlords have suffered. Well not on here at least. Think most have said it is pub staff , the staff at the breweries/suppliers and supplemental industries , security , cleaning etc that have suffered. 

What's the time scale for the Oxford vaccine. Anyone any info on supply and logistics. Do they  have enough. I take it, it will be good to go next week. 

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You are completely barking mad pal. I really mean that. You need help. 

54 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think it would be optimistic that Oxford vaccine approval next week. There are a couple of issue holding it up the dosing question and testing in older folk. I think it will be next year it’s approved. 

UK has 100million doses of the vaccine on order, with 4M doses ready to go upon approval. Manufacture is secured and good to go. 

The Oxford vaccine works in a different way than the others and as such is efficacy is believed to be more effective than the Pzifer and Modena ones. 

Hope all went well at the hospital👍

Cheers LB, still not heard back. So I take that is good news. 👍

I've just heard the FDA have caught Oxford out in a few lies. No tests on over 55s and 2 people have developed serious injuries from allergic reactions. Oxford did not reveal this information, it had to be persuaded by the FDA, who are saying that it is very unlikely the Oxford vaccine will  be approved in the US. 

Heard anything on this? 

Edited by ri Alban

32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Would certainly point that way, anyway 🤞

I don’t think they have lied from what I understand. I believe it wasn’t a single study for the vaccine, it was a number of studies pulled together to get a single result.

That creates some issues, some of the studies had a 55 age cap but not all. So it does have testing on over 55’s not very much though, albeit it has proved more effective in under 55’s. 

The two reactions thing was widely reported as and when it occurred but from everything I have read, was not caused by the vaccine but other issue.

The general view seems to be it works and is safe. I think they have specific issues around what dosing regime and age. The most effective dose was administered by mistake. Whilst some queries around 55+ remain. 

I believe additional testing on dose and age is being undertaken, when due to be completed 🤷🏻‍♂️

They are also looking at combining the Pzifer and Oxford vaccine. I think the theory is they may get the best of both worlds. 

It’s likely that multiple vaccines will be used in the U.K. and this may well be based on your need ie. under 55’s not really impacted by this but can carry it might get Oxford, where over 55’s get the Pzifer as it reduced the impact better but might not prevent onward transmission. 

Thanks for this LB , what is the difference between the allergic reactions in the Oxford one and the allergic reactions mentioned yesterday in the Pzifer one?

Edited by sadj
Autocorrrecting Pzifer 🤪

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I only know what I have read. 

The Oxford trial was not a allergic reaction. A person involved in the trial and taken to hospital. As they couldn’t easily identify the cause the trial gets suspended. However, the person develop inflammation of the spinal cord or something caused by a virus. 

It wasn’t a reaction to the vaccine, the person just got ill.

It just took a bit of time to diagnose but as they are taking part in a trial they shut down to make sure not cause for safety reasons. It’s pretty much standard practice 

Similar happened earlier with unrelated illness in Brazil, from memory. 

The Pzifer vaccine may have a issue to people who are allergy sensitive, but, I don’t know. It seem to cause a mild reaction in a couple of people who were allergy sensitive, whether that is coincidence or a genuine issue more research required I would think. 

Thank you 👍🏻 Appreciate the response

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

London moving into tier 3

Fecking Sturgeon! :yadayada:

No, she's responsible for Scotland's shitshow, which you and your ilk are unable, or refuse to comprehend, so you make stupid stuff up...like this.

8 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Correct.

What many fail to appreciate that businesses that cannot operate or are doing so at a loss due to restrictions are still losing money.

Landlords will collect on their rent because they have contracts, and business owners will have to pay for that out of their pockets or shut up shop.  Furlough only covers a percentage of wages of staff, which either the employer tops up or the staff take the hit on their wages.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Correct.

What many fail to appreciate that businesses that cannot operate or are doing so at a loss due to restrictions are still losing money.

Landlords will collect on their rent because they have contracts, and business owners will have to pay for that out of their pockets or shut up shop.  Furlough only covers a percentage of wages of staff, which either the employer tops up or the staff take the hit on their wages.

Any idea if landlords still have to pay Sky and BT their monthly subscriptions during lockdown?

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Any idea if landlords still have to pay Sky and BT their monthly subscriptions during lockdown?

I don't know - its possible.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I don't know - its possible.

For both it’s about £2,000 a month.

A hell of a lot of money.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Wages yes if they take one, some dont.
Profits have been massively hit, depending on the pub and how much stock you had to pour down the drain. If you had opened a keg/cask for instance you couldn’t get the money back for it. Stock that maybe isn’t a big seller are now reaching their sell by dates, as are others. You also have other things like Sky TV that is a huge outlay but can’t cancel for a 30 day period. You then have the rent you pay on the pub, some have just had it deferred which isn’t great. 
A drop in turnover equals a drop in profits, that’s not garbage in any business. Even Heineken for instance will be losing money because they’re not getting the rent or stock being purchased. 
The SG have provided some relief in different areas, but some don’t qualify if they are open selling takeaway that’s much less in total than the grants on offer. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Landlords will find a way, or they will close.

Punters, especially the old retired blokes that frequent pubs in afternoons, miss out on the social aspect of their local being a place to congregate. Instead of having the bar staff and regulars to have a chat with and keep an eye on them, Auld Jimmy, 84, sits at home, alone. Extreme example, perhaps, and I'd agree that pubs are not the healthiest places to spend your time, but they still form part of the fabric of many people's lives. Extended restrictions on this have serious effects.

Spot on. Some of the older guys have a WhatsApp chat, during lockdown they had an 80th birthday party for one of them outside in the guys garden in the sheltered housing on Angle park terrace. The next again day his housing association and the police were at his door warning him not to do it again. I think if it wouldn’t cost us a fortune we would be open for them just to meet and have a chat. We keep in touch with instead, the boss delivers beer to them if they want it. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You can cancel but it takes a month. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic