Man of the match

Diadora Van Basten

take your pick from Henderson, Moore or Clare all three were great but from an Airdrie point of view my son in law to be (Airdrie no 18) thought Naismith was just class and had some amazing touches (he got his shirt at the end, so he's really chuffed) a real gent and an inspirational captain, we'll do well with him on the park.

I genuinely wonder what game some people were watching. Steven Naismith was outstanding. Everything went through him. He kept the play flowing and some of his touches and passing were sublime. MOTM all day long. I’d advise a few folk to pay more attention as they are missing out on watching a genuinely class football player playing for Hearts.

Now, and this will upset a few. I still don’t get the Sean Clare love in. The guy has improved no doubt, but to suggest he was MOTM is frankly ludicrous. Other than his goal he was decent at best. I. Still not convinced by him and we’ll see what he’s made of over the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The sponsors MoM are always a bit random. 

Nothing random about the sponsor choosing Naismith as MOTM, mainly because he was!

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Nothing random about the sponsor choosing Naismith as MOTM, mainly because he was!

When he plays, we play.  Just superb.  Wasn't today one goal and two assists?

You can see it from 12,000 miles away.

Anyway  I'm off to bed with Martina Cole and looking forward to a Robbie Neison celebration in the morning, supplemented by Joe Root.

Have a great Sunday Jambos.

The Natural Order
16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Clare was my mom. Naismith imho was nowhere near it.

Agree 100%. Naismith obviously needs game time and going forward he will be vital to us but it was Clare for me yesterday. The shift he put in up and down the right side was immense. The improvement in Clare in recent weeks is as good as a new signing IMO.

Irving, without doubt. :thumbsup:  Without the composure, the tempo and control further back we don't create the chances we did.  Thought Naismith good but was surprised to hear his name announced over the tannoy near the end of the match.  He tried a few too many first time flicks when he should have probably held onto the ball and played it back to the supporting mids moving up.

Thought Souttar had a solid game. Moore an excellent first half, and Henderson a good second.

Irving for me was the best player on the park. He had a shaky first 10 minutes or so with a few stray passes but after that he controlled the game and continued on from his impressive display against Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Front line were great but Naisy for me.

Everything went through him.

As much as Naismith was very influential he did make quite a few loose passes yesterday which a better team might have capitalized on. 

Sean Clare for me effort and skill.

16 hours ago, sadj said:

Irving was awful first half. Very good second half. 

Hard choice today. Thought Henderson and Moore ran at the defence really well today. 

Thought they all got pass marks today except Bozanic

I agree. Really surprised to see folk nominating Irving. He was extremely sloppy with his passing. Touch wasn't assured either. As poor as he's been in a long time.

Henderson had an exceptional second half. Moore impressed and Sean Clare keeps on sticking it up the naysayers.

Naismith just oozes class. 

Just now, Nobreath said:

As much as Naismith was very influential he did make quite a few loose passes yesterday which a better team might have capitalized on. 

Sean Clare for me effort and skill.

He did yeah, once he is back to full match fitness though I think he is going to be incredible. 

Clare had a couple moments yesterday as well but I thought he played very well overall. Seems to be a different player under DS.

Hard to pick a MOM really as I thought about 5 of them could have deserved it!

Just now, JyTees said:

I agree. Really surprised to see folk nominating Irving. He was extremely sloppy with his passing. Touch wasn't assured either. As poor as he's been in a long time.

Henderson had an exceptional second half. Moore impressed and Sean Clare keeps on sticking it up the naysayers.

Thats how I saw it. As I said Irving second half was very good. Just first half sloppy and unassured covers it perfectly. 

1 minute ago, Dallas Green said:

He did yeah, once he is back to full match fitness though I think he is going to be incredible. 

Clare had a couple moments yesterday as well but I thought he played very well overall. Seems to be a different player under DS.

Hard to pick a MOM really as I thought about 5 of them could have deserved it!

Don’t sit on the fence get the 5nominated 😝😂

1 minute ago, JyTees said:

Calm down. Henderson had a couple of good runs and set up Naismith for his goal and scored a decent goal himself but to say he was exceptional is a bit much.

Your criticism of Irving is way over the top also.

pettigrewsstylist

Naismith 1,000,000%. Some player at this age. Some of the other suggestions can only be fanciful or  agenda driven IMO. 

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Calm down. Henderson had a couple of good runs and set up Naismith for his goal and scored a decent goal himself but to say he was exceptional is a bit much.

Yeh, in your head maybe.

I didn't think the team performed anything more than competently first half and no doubt the two injuries an subsequent subs played a part in unbalancing the team.  The only player that truly stood out in that half was Moore (and to a lesser extent Clare) perhaps because I was seated low centre of the Wheatfield and had a much better view.

Second half absolutely everything was flowing through Irving, and on numerous occasions when hemmed into tight spots his touch/control and turning-on-s-dime were absolutely outstanding, thus relieving the pressure and opening up space.  It's a difficult position to play well, and that he did.

Just now, sadj said:

Don’t sit on the fence get the 5nominated 😝😂

Naisy

Henderson 

Moore

Clare

Whilst he didnt have his best game I still thought (aside from a few loose passes) Irving played well. Probably not as much as the above 4 though. 

Had Smith stayed on I would have nominated him anaw 😂

I'm just buzzing we got a good win and a good performance from the lads, especially the younger lads, even if it was Airdrie!

😁

I know football is all about opinions but really can’t see how anyone can see Irving’s performance was awful, worst he’s been in a long time etc. To me, he’s class and someone we should look to build the team around. When was the last player we produced (or had on our books for that matter) that can control the game and be the link from defence to attack the way he does? Lovely through balls yesterday and has that bit of creativity we’ve missed for a long time. Reminds me of Barry Ferguson and that’s really not a bad thing

5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

When he plays, we play.  Just superb.  Wasn't today one goal and two assists?

You can see it from 12,000 miles away.

Anyway  I'm off to bed with Martina Cole and looking forward to a Robbie Neison celebration in the morning, supplemented by Joe Root.

Have a great Sunday Jambos.

Agreed Doug, Naismith is key, but Joe Root ??? what kind of a Scottish Kiwi supports England ? 🙈

ming the merciless
20 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I know football is all about opinions but really can’t see how anyone can see Irving’s performance was awful, worst he’s been in a long time etc. To me, he’s class and someone we should look to build the team around. When was the last player we produced (or had on our books for that matter) that can control the game and be the link from defence to attack the way he does? Lovely through balls yesterday and has that bit of creativity we’ve missed for a long time. Reminds me of Barry Ferguson and that’s really not a bad thing

Don’t get that either. Thought he was immaculate. Player. 

19 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Quite a few contenders today and just wondered who everyone is going for.

Clare or Moore - or possibly Irving.  Or Henderson.

So many good performances.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

criticism of Irving was spot on first half his touch and passing were poor. **** me its ok to say that you know

2 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Naisy

Henderson 

Moore

Clare

Whilst he didnt have his best game I still thought (aside from a few loose passes) Irving played well. Probably not as much as the above 4 though. 

Had Smith stayed on I would have nominated him anaw 😂

I'm just buzzing we got a good win and a good performance from the lads, especially the younger lads, even if it was Airdrie!

😁

Spoke to a few Airdrie fans I know they said their position is a bit false but also thought we were very very good and they felt Celtic Park last year was a closer game for them

Think the ones you mentioned played well throughout , Irving was possibly the wee thing missing in the first half as when he clicked second half it was a procession. Very professional job. 

StirlingJambo

Naismith for me with Irving a close second. Naismith just makes things click and think he’ll actually make a great partnership with Irving. Irving very composed on ball and isn’t afraid to pass forward to Naismith in tight spaces, once Andy’s played that first pass he's always running into the free space to receive it back and continue the attack. Kind of simple stuff we’ve been missing for god knows how long. 

Seymour M Hersh

I'll give them all MoM. Going a goal up early but you could still see the CL mindset of protecting a 1 goal lead coming in to play in the first half. We got away from playing the ball on the ground and it became increasingly scrappy which suited them. After the half time chat from DS we kept the call on the deck and took them apart. No player was head and shoulders above any other for me. They all put in a tremendous shift and the difference is ongoing and upwards under DS. 

3 hours ago, JyTees said:

Yeh, in your head maybe.

It will be interesting to see who between Henderson and Irving gets more game time until the end of the season assuming DS gets to bring in the players he wants.

58 minutes ago, sadj said:

criticism of Irving was spot on first half his touch and passing were poor. **** me its ok to say that you know

In your opinion . I just happen to disagree.

I don't know the actual stats but I am pertty sure from what I saw that Irving probably had more of the ball than any other Hearts player so he is more open to making some mistakes.

He made a few early in the game but was still one of our best performers.

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It will be interesting to see who between Henderson and Irving gets more game time until the end of the season assuming DS gets to bring in the players he wants.

I'd definitely say Irving. Been very impressed. Just didn't think he hit the same standard yesterday he's set himself the last few games. It's ok to have a sub standard performance every now and then. It's expected in fact.

Henderson hasn't impressed me at all, up until yesterday's second half. Certainly don't think he's the answer at this stage of his career and not sure he ever will be. I was encouraged by his second half showing however. 

Captain Canada

Definitely Clare for me. Henderson was poor on the wing in the first half but brilliant through the middle in the second.

Moore was really lively as well. 

4 hours ago, JyTees said:

I'd definitely say Irving. Been very impressed. Just didn't think he hit the same standard yesterday he's set himself the last few games. It's ok to have a sub standard performance every now and then. It's expected in fact.

Henderson hasn't impressed me at all, up until yesterday's second half. Certainly don't think he's the answer at this stage of his career and not sure he ever will be. I was encouraged by his second half showing however. 

I agree.

8 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'll give them all MoM. Going a goal up early but you could still see the CL mindset of protecting a 1 goal lead coming in to play in the first half. We got away from playing the ball on the ground and it became increasingly scrappy which suited them. After the half time chat from DS we kept the call on the deck and took them apart. No player was head and shoulders above any other for me. They all put in a tremendous shift and the difference is ongoing and upwards under DS. 

Agree.   I just hate that head tennis stuff that we sometimes get sucked into