Vanecek speaks

Matthew Le Tissier

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

As much as CL hung the guy out to dry he still states in that interview that there wasn’t an issue with his fitness. He is telling porkies as his fitness was awful, without a doubt the biggest pair of shorts I’ve seen on a professional footballer. 

Unavoidable truth.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Bazzas right boot

• RudiHMFC

• Hearts1975

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Disappointing if he was really that far away, but surely Levein saw that in training.  So why did he still pick him?  That is probably his biggest mistake.  

The only reason I can see for playing him “too early” was that we had no other strikers and we had waited for him. Maybe thought that an unfit DV was better than playing others out of position. As I said earlier, I’ll CL for a lot, but the Vanecek debacle falls fairly on the shoulders of the player himself. 

A striker who wants to play with the ball at his feet and link play.  Let’s face it, he was never a Levein striker.  

I never bought the fitness story, for me it was always a cover up.  If he wasn’t fit, why did Levein give him 90 mins against Livingston in the cup?  Fact of the matter is, we’re 1-0 down at home against Dundee and Levein needed a fall guy because the crowd were irate.  He picked Vanacek because it was the point of least resistance for him.  If Vanacek had put Hearts 1-0 up early in that game, it would have been a different story.

Tragic man management I’m afraid.

Diadora Van Basten

I always feel sorry for strikers who play for Levein. We don’t play any wingers so they are expected to pick the ball out the sky with their back to goal turn beat a couple of players and slot it home. Hence why our strikers struggle to score more than half a dozen goals a season.

Bazzas right boot

The boy was shite. 

Over weight and shite. 

Hyped himself up on social media, piled in the weight then didn't fancy Scottish football. 

Poor choice to sign him, but not CL's fault he couldn't adjust to our football, was over weight and couldn't be arsed. 

Utterly waste of time all round. 

1 hour ago, grumpy rebus said:

The only reason I can see for playing him “too early” was that we had no other strikers and we had waited for him. Maybe thought that an unfit DV was better than playing others out of position. As I said earlier, I’ll CL for a lot, but the Vanecek debacle falls fairly on the shoulders of the player himself. 

It was Levein who signed him. The blame, along with all the other shite signings he made, lies with CL.

You wonder if Levein understands strikers at all...You cannot sub a player after 35 minutes and then not talk to him about it. If true, then this is dreadful...It is a big if though, as he didn't look very good and he did look overweight.

Edited by Spellczech

20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The boy was shite. 

Over weight and shite. 

Hyped himself up on social media, piled in the weight then didn't fancy Scottish football. 

Poor choice to sign him, but not CL's fault he couldn't adjust to our football, was over weight and couldn't be arsed. 

Usual apologist rubbish from you. No blame to Levein for anything according to you

Edited by HMFC 86

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Usual apologist rubbish from you. No blame to Levein for anything according to you

Opening line on that sentence 

"Poor choice to sign him..." 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'll accept your apology. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Opening line on that sentence 

"Poor choice to sign him..." 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'll accept your apology. 

“Poor choice to sign him, but not CL's fault“

Do you actually think before you post, seriously?

1 hour ago, grumpy rebus said:

Of course it does . Vanecek , quite simply , took the piss . For people to turn this into something else is laughable

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The boy was shite. 

Over weight and shite. 

5 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

“Poor choice to sign him, but not CL's fault“

Do you actually think before you post, seriously?

You're missing out the whole quote to twist my post. 

What a strange thing to do. 

1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Of course it does . Vanecek , quite simply , took the piss . For people to turn this into something else is laughable

Have to agree. Levein signed him, his fault. He was absolutely shite and I don’t believe for a second he’d have turned out well if he’d been managed better. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Have to agree. Levein signed him, his fault. He was absolutely shite and I don’t believe for a second he’d have turned out well if he’d been managed better. 

100%

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%

So 100% yet another shite signing by Levein.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yip. 

21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I suppose the best way to tell is to compare with his current situation. 

Is a middling Hungarian side better than a struggling SPL side and is he fit and performing well for them ? 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I suppose the best way to tell is to compare with his current situation. 

Is a middling Hungarian side better than a struggling SPL side and is he fit and performing well for them ? 

Just shows he could not be arsed with us. 

The condition he was in after the break was terrible, really poor for a pro to let himself go whilst on his holidays. 

That wasn't CL's fault. 

V Dundee he could hardly move iirc. 

He clearly couldn't be arsed with us or Scotland. 

CL should not have signed him. 

He should have been in far better shape. 

All round shite. 

Not even a footnote in our history tbh. 

Hans esklison was better for us.... 

Edited by Smith's right boot

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The condition he was in after the break was terrible, really poor for a pro to let himself go whilst on his holidays. 

That wasn't CL's fault. 

All round shite. 

Indeed but if we'd known at the time that Levein's way was to give him the silent treatment...My perception of Levein was that he would tear a strip off a slacker like that.  Now I know Levein had his own health problems, but if it was preventing him doing his job, he ought to have had one of the other coaches give Vanachek 2 barrels and let him know in no uncertain terms what the situation was.

19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

That wasn't CL's fault. 

All round shite. 

Might have been a good idea to go watch him play first. 

36 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

My memory may be failing me but from what I recollect he was massively bigged up by CL as the second coming.  Vanecek played his part with press articles about how he was going to rip up the league. I think we signed him in the summer but were not able to start him till around Christmas time and by that stage expectations had reached fever pitch.  When he eventually started there were jokes about the delay being caused by needing time to get the outsize shorts made and other such deprecating comments.  He was almost immediately hung out to dry publicly by CL who accused him of having lost fitness, and was then yanked in the first half of a match effectively burying him in the eyes of the fans.

Whether this was CL realising a signing mistake and looking to cover up his mistake or something else - once can only speculate. Either way it was terrible man management and a colossal waste of money.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

My memory may be failing me but from what I recollect he was massively bigged up by CL as the second coming.  Vanecek played his part with press articles about how he was going to rip up the league. I think we signed him in the summer but were not able to start him till around Christmas time and by that stage expectations had reached fever pitch.  When he eventually started there were jokes about the delay being caused by needing time to get the outsize shorts made and other such deprecating comments.  He was almost immediately hung out to dry publicly by CL who accused him of having lost fitness, and was then yanked in the first half of a match effectively burying him in the eyes of the fans.

Whether this was CL realising a signing mistake and looking to cover up his mistake or something else - once can only speculate. Either way it was terrible man management and a colossal waste of money.

Probably a bit of both. 

Players shouldn't need man managed to be fit and do their job tho. 

Clearly DV was not interested. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Obviously fault on both sides but just a couple of observations.

Firstly he was ridiculously over hyped by Levein prior to his arrival. The amount of pressure on him to hit the ground running was immense and didn't help him one iota. Same as with Sean Clare. Can anyone not imagine Clare being given considerably more leeway by the vocal elements of our support if he'd arrived as a 'another midfield option' as opposed to the guy who was going to rip SPL defences to shreds with his creativity.

Secondly if we'd played to his strengths as opposed to trying to convert him into a 'hold it up and link targetman' we may have been better pleased. It's obvious watching his YouTube highlights that he isn't a target man. I thought his assist vs Livi in the cup was top drawer, a pass played at pace in the right area to create a goal scoring opportunity.

sadly the ship has sailed.

portobellojambo1
12 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Interesting article. Sounds like levein was trying to make someone a scapegoat for his own short comings.

He puts bobby in the shit a bit by saying he was glad levein's away! 😂😂

Would be good to see vanacek under stendel.

You could very equally use the same wording in terms of the length of contracts given to some players. The Director of Football, as he was, looked after all aspects of players coming into the club, based on the financial limitations in place at the club. The one aspect of that job he was unwilling to oversee was the length of contracts dished out, despite the fact that aspect would impact on the club's spending as well. But he always asked the manager in place at the time to determine that, and it is a discussion friends and I have had on many occasions. It was so brutally obvious he was looking after himself if anything was ever brought up about the contracts in place.

As for Vanacek himself, I didn't see enough to suggest he would have made it at Tynecastle even under a different manager, he is only one of a few recognised goalscorers who just haven't replicated their goalscoring abilities on arriving at Tynecastle.

Edited by portobellojambo1

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The Lad was treated like shite.

Yep, put in the side so Mr Levein could drag him off before HT and have a go at his fitness. If he wasn't fit he shouldn't have played. But then you can't make an arse of the boy in front of the fans and act the big man if you do that.

I don’t remember a mass outcry after the Livi game about his disgraceful lack of fitness. Some people said he lacked sharpness, which was only to be expected given his lengthy lay-off. And since he had provided the assist for Clare, I think the general impression was reasonably positive.

The furore about his fitness came - surprise, surprise - after Levein’s masterpiece of man management in the Dundee game and his subsequent slaughtering of Vanecek in the media. Levein’s Praetorian Guard on here couldn’t wait to tell us all what a shrewd piece of management we had been privileged to witness.

Edited by leginten

fabienleclerq

The news appears to be looking for any angle to have a go at Hearts right now, seeking out ex players to see if they can make us look bad.

Surprised DV isn't more bitter but at the same time he was a fat cart horse!them shorts he had on were used to tent half of the Syrian refugee camps...

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

At the AGM of that year, Levein could not wait to get him in. 

Yet another piss poor decision and how Levein can look himself in the mirror is beyond me. 

I'm all for loyalty but this is beyond a feckin joke. I just cannot see what he has to offer in our current situation. In fact, the knowledge that he is hanging about like a bad smell does not sit well with me and thousands of others. 

A great player, but my God his legacy has been tarnished.

Aye. His legacy has been destroyed.

13 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes it shows Levein in a bad light, but also shows Vanacek in a bad light. We have picked up a lot of guys recently who have done "brilliant" in their own minds, not that they did at all. Look at Zlamal too, not even playing, does he care? Not a jot. These guys float from club to club

Really. I thought the guy was never given a proper chance and he said in the article that there was nothing wrong with his fitness.

Levein obviously needed a scapegoat and it happened to be Vanacek.

To his credit he could have just stayed like many other Levein signings and taken his money for just training every week but he elected to leave the club and move on.

He also said that Levein never spoke to him after taking him off about what the problem was.

You would have thought that if Levein thought there was a problem with his fitness levels as he said to the media he would have had a frank discussion with Vanacek but it would seem that never happened.

Just another example of shockingly poor man management by Levein.

There seems to be a running theme of a lack of communication between the players and the club, still apparently happening now

is it literally just a case of being scared to say things to the players faces or it a can’t be bothered scenario? Hopefully whoever we do end up appointing as Sporting Director will have a bit of balls about them in this regard

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

So Levein at fault then? But then you say no blame to CL. Strange

Read the statement again. 

Think. 

Think again. 

Captain Canada

I've no idea what the truth is about what happened but there's no denying it's strange that his fitness would have been assessed in Portugal and he was deemed ok to start in the cup game and then again in the following match. 

Something doesn't quite add up. 

Guest ToqueJambo
22 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

Don't talk shite, there was no way back for him after the Dundee game, throwing him in for 45 minutes away at Hamilton after being frozen out for weeks, just utterly dreadful management from a dreadful manager.

Would 100% believe what vanecek has to say over anything Levein came up with.

Vanacek even apologised to Levein for his fitness.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

I've no idea what the truth is about what happened but there's no denying it's strange that his fitness would have been assessed in Portugal and he was deemed ok to start in the cup game and then again in the following match. 

Something doesn't quite add up. 

I agree the whole thing was weird but I can see whey he got a game even when not match fit. We were desperate. McLean had been our only main striker for ages. Keena had no experience. The "he was OK vs Dundee" vs comments are weird. Given heading was supposedly his main attribute he was terrible in the air. He got a stupid booking and could easily have got sent off later if he'd stayed on.

Guest ToqueJambo
13 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It was Levein who signed him. The blame, along with all the other shite signings he made, lies with CL.

Of course, along with the successes. He signed him to be one of 4 or 5 forwards with Uche, Naismith, McLean and Keena or Lafferty (who was still our player when Vanacek was signed on a pre-contract). By the time he arrived we were in desperate straights with Uche and Naismith long-term injured, Keena on loan and recalled and Lafferty sold. McLean needed resting.

Levein had a right to expect him to be in better shape given, for once, we had signed someone in January who was actually playing and scoring and not carrying an injury - so should have been in full fitness.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, BigAlim said:

There seems to be a running theme of a lack of communication between the players and the club, still apparently happening now

is it literally just a case of being scared to say things to the players faces or it a can’t be bothered scenario? Hopefully whoever we do end up appointing as Sporting Director will have a bit of balls about them in this regard

To be fair, there have also been stories of how well Hearts have treated players and communicated situations. We've done well by quite a few players in the last few years. Can't think of one who's been denied a move other than Walker. Arguably we've been too forgiving to some others we could have taken a harder line with - Oshaniwa and Martin for example. Those stories just don't get so much traction on here or in the papers.

Some players like Djoum, McLaughlin, Sow, Eckersley, Souttar, Smith, Haring and maybe some others owe us quite a lot for giving them an unexpected  platform and/or genuinely transforming their careers. People like Cathro, Neilson, Daly, McPhee... have also been handed huge opportunities by us. As far as I know we haven't stood in the way of any youngster saying he wants away for more game time, and allowed the likes of Edwards and Lee to get game time elsewhere.

Personally I wish we'd taken the approach Stendel is taking sooner.

Edited by ToqueJambo

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Vanacek even apologised to Levein for his fitness.

You will say anything to turn the blame away from Levein or the club for absolutely anything eh? Sitting 5 clear at the bottom and you still genuinely think the sun shines out their arses. Such bizarre behaviour.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, RudiHMFC said:

You will say anything to turn the blame away from Levein or the club for absolutely anything eh? Sitting 5 clear at the bottom and you still genuinely think the sun shines out their arses. Such bizarre behaviour.

I just pointed out a fact relevant to the discussion in response to folk saying Vanacek was better than Uche in his first 5 games.

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I agree the whole thing was weird but I can see whey he got a game even when not match fit. We were desperate. McLean had been our only main striker for ages. Keena had no experience. The "he was OK vs Dundee" vs comments are weird. Given heading was supposedly his main attribute he was terrible in the air. He got a stupid booking and could easily have got sent off later if he'd stayed on.

The irony is if he played all the time and was genuinely shit but got the same treatment as the rest of the crap strikers we've got you would be defending the player and Levein for buying him, because Levein called him rubbish you have jumped on that bandwagon and are happy to slate the guy even though he got treated terribly by our 'manager'

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I just pointed out a fact relevant to the discussion in response to folk saying Vanacek was better than Uche in his first 5 games.

It's absolutely pointless debating with you about anything because every single time you post it is in defence of Levein and the club whether it be twisting words or certain situations.

The fact is Levein failed terribly at hearts and the club is an absolute joke at the moment, 5 points clear at the bottom of the league, Levein, MacPhee, Daly, budge all of them have failed miserably, it's now left to Stendel to try and get us out of the mess they created even though they are still in the background after their 'sacking'.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, RudiHMFC said:

The irony is if he played all the time and was genuinely shit but got the same treatment as the rest of the crap strikers we've got you would be defending the player and Levein for buying him, because Levein called him rubbish you have jumped on that bandwagon and are happy to slate the guy even though he got treated terribly by our 'manager'

I literally said the whole vancek thing was weird. It’s possible to hold two thoughts in your head at once - think vanacek was crap and unfit and think levein handled it badly (except we don’t know that). All we know is he arrived very unfit and looked it on the park. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, RudiHMFC said:

It's absolutely pointless debating with you about anything because every single time you post it is in defence of Levein and the club whether it be twisting words or certain situations.

The fact is Levein failed terribly at hearts and the club is an absolute joke at the moment, 5 points clear at the bottom of the league, Levein, MacPhee, Daly, budge all of them have failed miserably, it's now left to Stendel to try and get us out of the mess they created even though they are still in the background after their 'sacking'.

So you do think Vanacek was better than uche when comparing their first 5 games? It’s a view.