Harry and Meghan

Crete

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Probably down to a few £ million public funds. 

Depending on how you define that. The convention is UK will fund their security costs. Money from his Dad too. 

But they are loaded anyway. 

They sure are.  Even if they never get another cent from Charlie, they already have enough money to last them a lifetime.  

Meghan will be in big demand if she ever returns to acting, and Harry could do speaking engagements, just like every ex-president of the USA.  That is very lucrative indeed.

Becoming self-sufficient would be easy for them, if that's what they really want.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maple Leaf

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Sharpie

• The Real Maroonblood

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This is old news, this was reported on a few years ago.

But if you want to discuss it, open a thread about it, this thread is about Harry & Meghan.

Sorry forgot you were in charge of the thread, won't happen again.

highlandjambo3

By trying to duck out of the spotlight they have inevitably multiplied their profile X 100 and, it will never go away.
 I’m sure they will become financially independent and, I don’t expect to see any of them in the job centre anytime soon.

17 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Sorry forgot you were in charge of the thread, won't happen again.

Good, or you'll have to be put on the naughty step. 

14 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

By trying to duck out of the spotlight they have inevitably multiplied their profile X 100 and, it will never go away.
 I’m sure they will become financially independent and, I don’t expect to see any of them in the job centre anytime soon.

Exactly, they are a bigger story now than they've ever been, and many many people will now want to know how they are getting on living a 'normal' life.

And as long as people want to know, the paparrazi will follow them around everywhere.

highlandjambo3
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly, they are a bigger story now than they've ever been, and many many people will now want to know how they are getting on living a 'normal' life.

And as long as people want to know, the paparrazi will follow them around everywhere.

Vancouver island economy will be blown through the roof with tourists the next few years.  Media harping on about security and who will pay, plenty of private security firms about that they will easily be able to afford.

26 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Vancouver island economy will be blown through the roof with tourists the next few years.  Media harping on about security and who will pay, plenty of private security firms about that they will easily be able to afford.

Yes, and the locals will love it, in the short term at least, but long term, mmmmmm not so sure.

40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Would it have been possible to just 'stop' being a royal, no more duties taken on, funding stopped, no press conference or releases and go on their own until one day the press go 'whatever happened to Harry and Megan'

People from within the royal house od whatever it's called would leak it, and to the absolute dregs in the press first.

24 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Would it have been possible to just 'stop' being a royal, no more duties taken on, funding stopped, no press conference or releases and go on their own until one day the press go 'whatever happened to Harry and Megan'

It didn’t work out for Clark Kent in Superman II.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

People from within the royal house od whatever it's called would leak it, and to the absolute dregs in the press first.

Oh I'd guess you can just stop being a Royal, that's the easy part, but unless you lived like a hermit on a deserted island then somebody somewhere would sooner or later recognize you.

I could walk down near enough any high street in the World and nobody would give me a second glance, could Harry & Meghan do that, of course they couldn't and it has nothing to do with them being Royal or not, it's because they are famous and their photo's have been printed all over the World and everybody knows who they are, even if they did disappear, you know that sooner or later somebody will recognize them, take a photo put it out on facebook/twitter and their cover & location is blown, it wouldn't take someone to 'leak' it to the press, there are enough people in the general public who would seek their 15 minutes of fame that would do that.

What would most of us do if we were living in an environment where we knew or believed we didn't actually belong. I don't know if there is any true doubt about Harrys alleged parentage to a non royal family member. I have taken a bit of time to look at pictures of a now deceased gentleman named James Hewitt. If one takes the time to look at those, there are some fairly noticeable facial resemblances. The hair of course the most dramatic, the straight across non curved eyebrows, and in at least one specific picture the noses are identical. Does this prove without a doubt anything, not at all, only that an elderly man has too much time on his hands. Personality wise there seems to be some similarities, both military men, both cavalry. Despite his royal upbringing, Harry does seem without any difficulty deal in an equal and pleasant manner with those whom he meets, particularly former servicemen, especially those with active service injuries apparent. He also seems much at home with children, and his choice of wife show he has acted on love not propriety (i am not sure that is the correct word but you can get my drift). I am sure he is delighted and feels very secure in the fact that I personally give him my full support.

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Vancouver Island is big.  Bigger than Belgium, and bigger than all the Hawai'in Islands combined. So big that most residents will never see hide nor hair of Harry. 

It's also very beautiful. I love it.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

They sure are.  Even if they never get another cent from Charlie, they already have enough money to last them a lifetime.  

Meghan will be in big demand if she ever returns to acting, and Harry could do speaking engagements, just like every ex-president of the USA.  That is very lucrative indeed.

Becoming self-sufficient would be easy for them, if that's what they really want.

Sorry but once more,   that's not really being self sufficient.     Prince Harry (as was) earning big bucks from speaking engagements and such like would be doing so because of his previous position as a 'senior royal'.      His position would enable his earnings value.     The value of him is his royal commodity,   not him as a notional ordinary man.

It's a bit like a wealthy divorcee who got a million pound settlement from their marriage claiming to be a self made millionaire.

Harry will not be self sufficient or financially independent as long as the money coming in relates to his royal commodity.

They will earn what they earn and it's perfectly legitimate.    But it will never be self sufficiency.

Edited by Victorian

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sorry but once more,   that's not really being self sufficient.     Prince Harry (as was) earning big bucks from speaking engagements and such like would be doing so because of his previous position as a 'senior royal'.      His position would enable his earnings value.     The value of him is his royal commodity,   not him as a notional ordinary man.

It's a bit like a wealthy divorcee who got a million pound settlement from their marriage claiming to be a self made millionaire.

Harry will not be self sufficient or financially independent as long as the money coming in relates to his royal commodity.

They will earn what they earn and it's perfectly legitimate.    But it will never be self sufficiency.

Maybe we're splitting hairs but, imo, as long as he's not accepting public funds and is living of his own earnings, however that money is earned, he's self-sufficient.

But I do see your point.  He'll be living off money and reputation that was handed to him, not earned.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Maybe we're splitting hairs but, imo, as long as he's not accepting public funds and is living of his own earnings, however that money is earned, he's self-sufficient.

But I do see your point.  He'll be living off money and reputation that was handed to him, not earned.

That is the issue at hand.     It can never be described as independently derived earnings.    

No real issue with it.    Let them bash on.    But it's not self sufficiency.

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Vancouver Island is big.  Bigger than Belgium, and bigger than all the Hawai'in Islands combined. So big that most residents will never see hide nor hair of Harry. 

Any idea where they're reportedly to be staying/living?

7 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Any idea where they're reportedly to be staying/living?

I read that they're in a private residence north of Victoria.  The spring flowers will be blooming in about a month.  They might never want to leave.  

I’m not a fan of her tbh, Kate is Grade A Princess material, Megan is the total opposite.

Quite like Harry too but can’t help feel it’ll all end in tears.

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, bobsharp said:

What would most of us do if we were living in an environment where we knew or believed we didn't actually belong. I don't know if there is any true doubt about Harrys alleged parentage to a non royal family member. I have taken a bit of time to look at pictures of a now deceased gentleman named James Hewitt. If one takes the time to look at those, there are some fairly noticeable facial resemblances. The hair of course the most dramatic, the straight across non curved eyebrows, and in at least one specific picture the noses are identical. 

You might be comparing with the wrong James Hewitt, Bob. Diana's old squeeze is still with us. 

From what I recall, though, Harry's birth comes before Diana's affair with Hewitt. If you look long enough, you can see what you want to see. Facially (And the hair), there's resemblance to Diana's brother, the one who spoke at her funeral. The eyes seem to me very Prince Charles-like.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I read that they're in a private residence north of Victoria.  The spring flowers will be blooming in about a month.  They might never want to leave.  

I can't remember the name of the place but it's almost directly across the water (due East) from Mill Bay

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I can't remember the name of the place but it's almost directly across the water (due East) from Mill Bay

I don't know the area at all, but Mill Bay is probably too far north from Victoria.  If they visit Butchart Gardens in the spring they'll fall in love.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

You might be comparing with the wrong James Hewitt, Bob. Diana's old squeeze is still with us. 

From what I recall, though, Harry's birth comes before Diana's affair with Hewitt. If you look long enough, you can see what you want to see. Facially (And the hair), there's resemblance to Diana's brother, the one who spoke at her funeral. The eyes seem to me very Prince Charles-like.

I checked again It referred to James Hewitt former cavalry officer who was alleged to have had an affair with Diana. Gives date of death as 2017, although no month or day. Numerous other comments refer to the same man the affair, the claims, none proven of course but I was fairly convinced by the photographs of the former cavalry officer playing polo. If I have reported on the wrong man I apologise. I really did not look at the photographs to see what I wanted to see, I was interested in appearnce after seeing Harry and his brother together in a photograph and saw what I considered considerable differences.I am sure it will be pointed out that family members with the same parents can look completely different and this may well be the case here.

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Tony Blair, David Cameron, Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter are neither Prime Ministers or Presidents anymore. The Carter Centre has done many wonderful things since The Carters founded it in the early eighties, so hopefully Harry and Meghan can go on to achieve things like this, now they can do what they like whilst using their names as door openers. 

Edited by ri Alban

highlandjambo3
14 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I’ve been to Canada a few times, absolutely beautiful place (liken to New Zealand).  To get an idea of its vastness.......if you were to spread out all Canadians equally apart there would be 50 miles between each person, I mean f*n WOW.

10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Duncan.  :lol:

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Tony Blair, David Cameron, Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter are neither Prime Ministers or Presidents anymore. The Carter Centre has done many wonderful things since The Carters founded it in the early eighties, so hopefully Harry and Meghan can go on to achieve things like this, now they can do what they like whilst using their names as door openers. 

Aye great... but former PMs and Presidents don't make grandiose statements about earning self sufficiently.    Thet just do it and count the money.

Again,   I have no issue with Harry earning what he earns.    It doesn't affect me.     But it's not self sufficiency or independence.    It's hawking around the family connections.     

Just do it.   But at least be honest about it and people will respect it.

I P Knightley
9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I don't know the area at all, but Mill Bay is probably too far north from Victoria.  If they visit Butchart Gardens in the spring they'll fall in love.

It's across the inlet, west of the airport, a few miles north of Butchart.

11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think they fell in love quite a while ago. I mean they're now married and all.

29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think they fell in love quite a while ago. I mean they're now married and all.

:biggrin: :tongue:

Vancouver Island certainly a lovely area. My wife had family live there when we first came to Canada and we visited a lot. Later once a month I attended B.C. Police Chiefs meetings in Saanich.

Our family resident there loved it, but found that if you wanted to do something on the Mainland the ferry trip was a bit of a nuisance. In summer and winter there can be delays in summer by increased passenger numbers and in the winter weather delays. There are good small seaplane servics but at a cost.

Of course none of these should inhibit Harry and Meghan, cost not a factor, but important events  can certainly be jeopardised because of weather.

There was a rumor that they were considering a mansion in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver, but where they are going to settle is anyones guess. There is certainly in Victoria and Vancouver plenty areas where the ultra rich can reside without any bother from the public.