• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• DH1986

• Kiwidoug

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

lost in space

Very poor communicator who does not command his box. Not good at holding crosses and a bit of a coward if challenged. Was a great shot stopper long ago.

Thanks for the memories but this would be the kind of stupid signing that Levein would pull off.

36/37 is not old for a keeper. Alexander came in when he was older than Craig and he did alright. 

For the next year or two, he is by far the best we could hope for. Would be great having confidence in a keeper again 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
11 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

For a bit of light relief, back in the 60s, rangers had an average keeper, think he was called Kennedy.  Celtic had an attrocious one called Frank Haffey.

Despite the fact that other clubs including us had very good keepers, Kennedy as you would expect was first pick for Scotland.  When Kennedy got injured, they called up Haffey.  Even Celtic supporters were incredulous.

Pretty sure he was the custodian when England beat us 9-3.

Stewart Kennedy (I believe that is who you refer to) played for Rangers and Scotland quite some time after Frank Haffey left Celtic, to obscurity and beyond, though your point is a good one. If I remember correctly, Kennedy's last Scotland game (of three - maybe two, maybe four?) was a 5-1 defeat at Wembley, where quite literally, the only thing he caught was the post (at one of England's goals).

9 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Very poor communicator who does not command his box. Not good at holding crosses and a bit of a coward if challenged. Was a great shot stopper long ago.

Thanks for the memories but this would be the kind of stupid signing that Levein would pull off.

wow

12 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Stewart Kennedy (I believe that is who you refer to) played for Rangers and Scotland quite some time after Frank Haffey left Celtic, to obscurity and beyond, though your point is a good one. If I remember correctly, Kennedy's last Scotland game (of three - maybe two, maybe four?) was a 5-1 defeat at Wembley, where quite literally, the only thing he caught was the post (at one of England's goals).

1970s was Kennedy,,,

Cant be bothered reading this whole thread but if anyone has made a reasoned argument why Craig Gordon is not a 100% improvement on what we have between the sticks i would be staggered. If it can happen we should make it happen. Could be the difference between us staying up or going down imo 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
12 hours ago, jambo1975 said:

Cant be bothered reading this whole thread but if anyone has made a reasoned argument why Craig Gordon is not a 100% improvement on what we have between the sticks i would be staggered. If it can happen we should make it happen. Could be the difference between us staying up or going down imo 

At the very least it's unlikely he would ever push an opponent (and so risking a penalty) into the path of an incoming corner, while, as a result of the rather forceful push, forcing himself backward and out of position to deal with the header from the player he's so helpfully pushed away from any marker and perfectly onto the flight of the ball.

I'm a great believer that the first job of any goalkeeper is to keep the ball out of his net, and it matters not one jot if he's no footballer outside of his box (while to be able to do both jobs would be preferable) if he can do that as well as (a fit) Craig Gordon still can. As things stand, we don't have any keeper worth his place for his distribution or qualities as a sweeper or his keeping abilities and we will be hard placed to find one we can afford as good as Gordon anywhere.

If the second half of the season turns into the relegation battle we fear, we will need a shot stopper between the sticks much more than we need a sweeper keeper with the ball skills of a Pele, whether that shot stopper is Craig Gordon or someone else.