Craig Gordon

BRY

Ex member of the SaS

Like a tall keeper who can command his area. However a keeper is generally only as good as his defense and communication between is vital. I would have CG back if the money was right but can't see Celtic releasing him to us.

Just how many good keeper are there out there within our budge and available?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• DH1986

• Kiwidoug

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Pointless speculation imo.  Stendel is only beginning to come to terms with what he needs.  If he decides he needs a goalkeeper which in my view is likely, he will have his own ideas.

Might be Gordon.  Might not.

32 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Best keeper in the league is McGregor and he’s ancient too. 

Possibly but I'd still prefer a much younger keeper.

5 hours ago, Thought Police said:

He's still a high quality goalkeeper who would give us a good 18 months I reckon

If this fella got to 50% of what he once was ? I’d give him 18years

been here before

Ahhhhhh the fortnightly Craig Gordon thread. Its like a comfot blanket for JKB.

Has anyone mentioned 'in a heartbeat', 'bring him home', 'injury prone' or 'an improvement on what we have' yet?

number witheld
7 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Don't get the clamour to have him back, great Hearts keeper in his day, time to move on. I hope our new manager will assess the situation and look at a keeper who meets his style.  

A high pressing keeper? 

He is still a class keeper

Player and goalkeeping coach is very appealing. 

He has always wanted to end his career with us and he has made all his money. 

Some of his saves last night prove he isn’t ‘past it’. 

IF he was to come back and Stendel told him to just keep the ball out the net pure and simple, then we’d have one of the best on the business at it.

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Any names spring to mind ?

Haven't seen him but Harry Stone shouldn't be far away according to what I've read on here.

I'd be surprised if DS didn't know of a few from Germany and he'll certainly know of names from the English Championship and League 1.

If all else fails we could get in a loan keeper meantime and there are one or two who could be available such as Daniel Bachmann (Watford), Rob Elliot (Newcastle) and Danny Ward of Leicester

23 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Haven't seen him but Harry Stone shouldn't be far away according to what I've read on here.

I'd be surprised if DS didn't know of a few from Germany and he'll certainly know of names from the English Championship and League 1.

If all else fails we could get in a loan keeper meantime and there are one or two who could be available such as Daniel Bachmann (Watford), Rob Elliot (Newcastle) and Danny Ward of Leicester

So....

You name a GK you’ve never seen play...then a bunch a of guys you’ve no idea if they’re available.

I thought you were a man who likes proof and facts etc Al ?

Clearly only when it suits eh.

If he is allowed to leave and if he is happy to fit in our wage structure then he'd be a decent signing for 18 months

However, the oldest player in the Barnsley squad that DS left behind is 27 so I suspect that he will be looking for someone younger

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

So....

You name a GK you’ve never seen play...then a bunch a of guys you’ve no idea if they’re available.

I thought you were a man who likes proof and facts etc Al ?

Clearly only when it suits eh.

You trying to hunt me down, eh?  You've been at it before too!  You must think I don't recognise a simpleton's trap when I see it.

Firstly I was pointing out that I would prefer a younger keeper.

Then I mentioned our own young keeper and readily admitted I hadn't seen him play but thought others who had might respond favourably or otherwise.

Thirdly, I have seen the others play.  None of these is a first choice and in Elliot's case there are 2 keepers ahead of him.  Bachmann played on loan for Killie while  Ward spent loan time with Aberdeen.  As to their availability we will never know until we try.  I also didn't know Pereira was available, nor Demi Mirchell etc until we tried/signed them.

Now try growing up and stop your petty trolling.

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Craig Gordon played over 30 games for the best team in country last season......

Yeah.....definitely not up to playing for Hearts.

Shows your ignorance if you even thought that never mind typed it.

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You trying to hunt me down, eh?  You've been at it before too!  You must think I don't recognise a simpleton's trap when I see it.

Firstly I was pointing out that I would prefer a younger keeper.

Then I mentioned our own young keeper and readily admitted I hadn't seen him play but thought others who had might respond favourably or otherwise.

Thirdly, I have seen the others play.  None of these is a first choice and in Elliot's case there are 2 keepers ahead of him.  Bachmann played on loan for Killie while  Ward spent loan time with Aberdeen.  As to their availability we will never know until we try.  I also didn't know Pereira was available, nor Demi Mirchell etc until we tried/signed them.

Now try growing up and stop your petty trolling.

Hunt you down ?

Back in your cage Al.

I was merely pointing out you said we can get better yet offered the name of someone who you hadn’t seen play and a handful of names when you’ve a) no idea if they’re available and b) no idea if we could get any them.

You’d have been better saying nothing at all tbh.

Its up to the new Manager...  Craig was a great goalie... Was a top transfer fee for Hearts, played decent for Celtic....   If affordable...  Why not...

For a bit of light relief, back in the 60s, rangers had an average keeper, think he was called Kennedy.  Celtic had an attrocious one called Frank Haffey.

Despite the fact that other clubs including us had very good keepers, Kennedy as you would expect was first pick for Scotland.  When Kennedy got injured, they called up Haffey.  Even Celtic supporters were incredulous.

Pretty sure he was the custodian when England beat us 9-3.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Come home Craig. 

Definitely or maybe McLaughlin can be tempted back - our only genuinely reliable keeper since Alexander.

SomethingAboutObua

He’s better than what we have now, but if we’re wanting ex Hearts goalies who would want to play for us and have proved they can still play in the topflight, I’m sure Jamie McDonald would be a lot cheaper and easier to work with, and he doesn’t need to win the fans back over.  

Would rather Stendel brought in someone that suited whatever he needs a goalie to do or be, if it’s just a good shot stopper then I don’t have a problem with it being Gordon, but I imagine it’ll be someone who’s a better ball player that he’d have in mind

Was a Barnsley fan on here suggesting he thinks Dan will go for his old Barnsley goalie, who is now on bench at Stoke.

Said he's very good.

Dunno

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Hunt you down ?

aka trolling

Back in your cage Al.

Patronising claptrap

I was merely pointing out you said we can get better yet offered the name of someone who you hadn’t seen play and a handful of names when you’ve a) no idea if they’re available and b) no idea if we could get any them.

I didn't say we can get better.  I said given his age I THINK we can do better.  THINK means I don't exactly know

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

You’d have been better saying nothing at all tbh.

You definitely would.  You are miles out of your depth.  Picked the wrong issue but I have no doubt you will be trying again.  That is the nature of the beast.

BRAVEHEART1874

He might only have a year left in him but if he remembers half of jim stewarts teachings then we could gain a good coach also. So aye ;)

Do think we need a good goalie and think Craig Gordon is getting too old now Daniel Stendel will probably already have someone he would like at hearts.

Stendel’s philosophy means Gordon’s distribution ability and age go against him. Personally I think he’ll focus on getting a tune out of Pereira until the summer when he’ll bring someone new in.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I didn't say we can get better.  I said given his age I THINK we can do better.  THINK means I don't exactly know

You definitely would.  You are miles out of your depth.  Picked the wrong issue but I have no doubt you will be trying again.  That is the nature of the beast.

So you don’t exactly know if we can get better.

Yet you still wouldn’t take him ?

Interesting logic.......

7 hours ago, Tommy Walker said:

I was wrong about the rangers guy Haffey replaced but not wrong about the fact that he was average at best and only ever got capped like haffey because he played for rangers.

These things are never absolutes however.  Plenty of non o f players like leslie did get capped but you had the inside running if you were one of them.  Won't be the case under Clarke though.

7 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Was a Barnsley fan on here suggesting he thinks Dan will go for his old Barnsley goalie, who is now on bench at Stoke.

Said he's very good.

Dunno

As I said before I personally think Stendel will try to get a tune out of Pereira as he’s still young, is capable of distribution that’s decent and didn’t sign for Man Utd for no reason. But if he is going to look to a replacement then I would say Adam Davies would be an option. He’s not played for Stoke and is 3rd choice. When Butland was being error prone and was left out of the team Adam Federici played. Saying that, the pecking order may have changed at Stoke since O’Neill’s appointment.

And if MacPhee is to be doing SD duties then I suppose there’d be no harm in him calling his pal O’Neill about Davies’ ability now would there? 🤔

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I'd take him in January, and make him captain. 

But next season might be a season too far. 

Interesting comment on the captain front. I'd seen this today from Mourinho. A very good clip. From a Hearts perspective, sums up what Elvis was to us and how we crave another leader. 

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

So you don’t exactly know if we can get better.

Yet you still wouldn’t take him ?

Interesting logic.......

Again your comprehension skills are deficient.

I said I WOULD PREFER.

jack D and coke

More evidence of bammy Hearts fans wanting to bring back a has been. Better than we have but my good mate who was a fine cat in his day is now about 20 odd stone and isn’t much worse than what we’ve got atm. 
Gordon has acted the goat on too many occasions playing us to slither back into our feelings now kiddying on he’s still a Hearts man.  My happiest moment of recent times concerning him was when he gave away the penalty in the 4-0, I honestly thought he was going to burst into tears, his puss was a picture and a half :lol: 
He can GTF. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Holyrood_Hearts

I get why people are a bit sentimental over him as he was a great keeper (& better than the 3 we currently have) but he’s almost 37, not played a lot of first team football & did you see him the other night? 

I’m sorry but I preferred we look at younger options. 

He’s an improvement on our 3 but all the Celtic fans I know pretty much unanimously wanted him dropped last season after a number of mistakes. He just isn’t the same player who left us or even the same level as he was 3/4 years ago. We could do better.

Gordon can gtf. I'm sure Stendel will have his own ideas and likely hasn't even heard of him. The only time i'd want him near Tynecastle again is if he comes in as a goalkeeping coach only, not as a player. The three we have are as average as each other but maybe that's down to the current goalie coach Gallagher. I wonder if the American guy we signed last season, Silva will ever get a shot ahead of Doyle, Pereira or Zlamal? As Stendel likes younger players he might get a chance. Pereira can go back to Man Utd as far as i'm concerned, i'd rather have Zlamal in. Whatever happens, Stendel has to sort the goalie stuff out as well as everything else.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

More evidence of bammy Hearts fans wanting to bring back a has been. Better than we have but my good mate who was a fine cat in his day is now about 20 odd stone and isn’t much worse than what we’ve got atm. 
Gordon has acted the goat on too many occasions playing us to slither back into our feelings now kiddying on he’s still a Hearts man.  My happiest moment of recent times concerning him was when he gave away the penalty in the 4-0, I honestly thought he was going to burst into tears, his puss was a picture and a half :lol: 
He can GTF. 

seems we’re in the minority . Gtf indeed.

This has legs this. Sure the ITK’ers will be along soon but Gary McKay is acting as a go between, between us and Gordon. That’s straight from GM.