Sportsound apology

beaver

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/bbc-issue-apology-over-unfair-remarks-about-hearts-austin-macphee-1-5047663

"It is understood BBC Scotland received two official complaints, one believed to be from the club, after the discussion was aired."

Presume mine was the other one then. I'll post it and the response when I get one.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Beast Boy

• martoon

• jake

3 hours ago, martoon said:

Ahh, the long lost sport of police hat flinging.

I remember there was a lot of it at Parkhead in 1983. Even the jungle cheered every time one was launched in the Hearts end. 

Yep was that the game that Danny mcgrain broke Peter shields leg 

lots of trouble in the hearts end with the police 

11 minutes ago, 22games nro said:

Aye. The rat Provan also fell to the ground when Bud Johnston playfully ruffled his perm and got him sent off. 

Edited by martoon

13 minutes ago, Boof said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/bbc-issue-apology-over-unfair-remarks-about-hearts-austin-macphee-1-5047663

"It is understood BBC Scotland received two official complaints, one believed to be from the club, after the discussion was aired."

Presume mine was the other one then. I'll post it and the response when I get one.

didnt realise Smith and Naismith had spoken out in favour of him being appointed full time thats interesting

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How exactly do we manage that when they have a national broadcaster platform and an audience of thousands?

Alan Preston talks shite !

There, that is now winging it’s way across t’internet, for all to see !

I would hope our young rascals are using their time wisely to come up with a couple of ditties for Saturday. 
Doesn’t need to win any music awards, straight to the point will suffice !

👍

You will have noticed I haven’t included the club here. They don’t tend to get involved in these things, unless it was them who complained !! Over to you, young team !

Edited by Boab

Seymour M Hersh
9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Any chance of them getting Michael O’Neill back on to explain McPhee’s joke reign so far?

Gies peace ffs. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Any chance of them getting Michael O’Neill back on to explain McPhee’s joke reign so far?

MacPhee is working with the same bunch of losers as CL.....

Not exactly his fault.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

MacPhee is working with the same bunch of losers as CL.....

Not exactly his fault.

Nothing seems to be his fault. Literally made of Teflon.

In fact according to some on here, no-one at Hearts is to blame for anything. Zero accountability.

14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nothing seems to be his fault. Literally made of Teflon.

In fact according to some on here, no-one at Hearts is to blame for anything. Zero accountability.

In the grand scheme of things.....

What is his fault ?

The depth and quality of the squad ?

The lack of confidence and care shown by several players ?

Only at Hearts would an assistant and caretaker be slaughtered so venomously by many when he was handed a pile of shit to work with.

If a guy who’d been a manager for 20 years couldn’t get a consistent tune out these players what chance has Austin MacPhee ? None imo.

He has been put in this position by Ann Budge because she dithered for so long in removing CL from his post. AB is not only guilty of being over loyal but for not being fully prepared for the inevitable sacking.

I genuinely think MacPhee is being harshly treated.....I’m not for a second saying he should be the new manager but ffs there is no need to be such a prick to a guy who has been placed in temporary charge.

The blame for the state of this football team lies firmly at the door of other people.

Give the guy a break.

Elvis's Carlisle turned over Stendel 3 zip a few months ago, in the cup 🤣😂🤣 at Oakwell... 😎

Edited by GavK1012

Samuel Camazzola

More predictive waffle from MS. 

When asked about going into management/coaching spraffed about doing his badges at the end of his career (like 75% of players probably do) but went into media. Effectively admitted, that he didn't have the bottle or know-how to hack it. 

The Mercer Takeover
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

More predictive waffle from MS. 

When asked about going into management/coaching spraffed about doing his badges at the end of his career (like 75% of players probably do) but went into media. Effectively admitted, that he didn't have the bottle or know-how to hack it. 

If you are going to criticise MS, please don't make stuff up. He never admitted that at all.

He stated that the speed with which his media career took over, meant starting over as a coach wasn't necessary, for his post playing career.

Whether you believe it or not is up to you, but that is what he stated.

The Mercer Takeover
2 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Just started watching. Got to love Tom English laying in to Pressley about having no indication he was due the sack.

Thought Pressley came across well and he will always be a legend with me.

2 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Thought Pressley came across well and he will always be a legend with me.

Nothing against Pressley at all but he seems to be making excuses a lot for a lot of his failures. Tom English calling him out by mentioning all the clubs he has generally failed at. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

If you are going to criticise MS, please don't make stuff up. He never admitted that at all.

He stated that the speed with which his media career took over, meant starting over as a coach wasn't necessary, for his post playing career.

He squirmed about and rambled nonsense. 

Started going on about Hearts signing a St Johnstone player 'in a hearbeat' based on some highlights packages he's summarised on Sportscene. 

The sensible thing he did say was when Kenny McIntyre alluded to Peter Grant saying something about MS last week. MS refuted what was said unless it was mentioned privately to someone else about him. 

21 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

hi Michael 

Think most of us know Pressley didn't really want to leave us for Celtic. He was forced out the door by Romanov and Celtic just happened to be the best offer for him.

He's spoke about the chest thump before too, and claimed it was only aimed at Romanov, not Hearts or our fans. Heat of the moment stuff.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Think most of us know Pressley didn't really want to leave us for Celtic. He was forced out the door by Romanov and Celtic just happened to be the best offer for him.

He's spoke about the chest thump before too, and claimed it was only aimed at Romanov, not Hearts or our fans. Heat of the moment stuff.

Still a dick and more to the point, still a woeful manager.

13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Still a dick and more to the point, still a woeful manager.

Would never take him as a manager, but it's a shame the way he was hounded out of the club. Sad end to a great Hearts career.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally heard back from the BBC on 29th November

MY COMPLAINT: 12th November

Petty and ill-informed - SportSound 

Dear Sir/Madam,

Off the Ball is self-described as "petty and ill-informed".

Surely it is about time to apply the same epithet to the execrable utterings of the team of pundits I had the misfortune to tune into last Saturday afternoon.
From the hysterical, factually inaccurate rantings of Messrs Miller and Preston to the collective puerile giggling at Richard Gordon's "Austin McFan...ha, ha, ha I nearly said the whole word..." (my paraphrasing, but the gist is there) from the team of ex-players was toe-curlingly unprofessional - especially so from the anchor himself.

I used to expect better from the BBC. I have lowered my expectations and am still disappointed.

I also expect nothing to improve as a result of this complaint.

Regards,

Boof

THEIR FIRST RESPONSE: 12th November

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is to confirm we’ve received the attached complaint sent in this name. We’ve included the text of the complaint and a case reference for your records (see below). 

Please don’t reply to this email because it’s an automated acknowledgement sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number. 

We’ll normally include the text below in our overnight report to producers and management of all the complaints and other reaction we receive today (with your personal details removed). This means it will reach the right people by tomorrow morning. 

We’ll do our best to reply as soon as we can, but the time needed depends on the nature of your complaint. If we can’t reply as soon as we’d like (usually within 10 working days) we’ll let you know. For full details of our complaints process please visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/.

THEIR SECOND RESPONSE: 20th November

Thanks for contacting the BBC.

This is an update to let you know that we had referred your complaint to the relevant people and regret that it may take a little longer before we can reply. Please do not contact us in the meantime.

Although we reply to most complaints within 2 weeks we cannot achieve this every time. It depends on what your complaint was about and how many others we are handling, or may sometimes be due to more practical issues. For example a production team may already be working on another programme or have gone on location.

Please don’t reply to this email because it’s sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number.

For full details of our complaints process please visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/.

In the meantime thank you for contacting us - we appreciate your patience.

Kind regards

BBC Complaints Team

THEIR THIRD (AND FINAL) RESPONSE: 29th November

Dear Boof,

Thank you for contacting us about BBC Radio Scotland’s ‘Sportsound’ broadcast on 9 November, and please accept our apologies for the delay in responding.

We’re sorry to hear that you felt the programme was poor and that the standard of presenting fell short of your expectations.

We raised your concerns with the programme team and Sport editors who acknowledge your comments and accept the discussion didn’t meet our high standards.

An apology was aired on the programme the following Saturday:

“Before we talk about Hearts and their managerial vacancy, we apologise to Austin MacPhee for the tone and lack of balance during last Saturday's discussion on their search for Craig Levein's successor.”

We hope this helps to allay your concerns, and rest assured your complaint was also forwarded to senior management on our audience feedback report.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback within the BBC and help inform our ongoing work.

Many thanks, once again, for taking the time to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Janine McMeekin

BBC Complaints Team 

Edited by Boof

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

Finally heard back from the BBC on 29th November

MY COMPLAINT: 12th November

Petty and ill-informed - SportSound 

Dear Sir/Madam,

Surely it is about time to apply the same epithet to the execrable utterings of the team of pundits I had the misfortune to tune into last Saturday afternoon.
From the hysterical, factually inaccurate rantings of Messrs Miller and Preston to the collective puerile giggling at Richard Gordon's "Austin McFan...ha, ha, ha I nearly said the whole word..." (my paraphrasing, but the gist is there) from the team of ex-players was toe-curlingly unprofessional - especially so from the anchor himself.

I used to expect better from the BBC. I have lowered my expectations and am still disappointed.

I also expect nothing to improve as a result of this complaint.

Regards,

Boof

THEIR FIRST RESPONSE: 12th November

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is to confirm we’ve received the attached complaint sent in this name. We’ve included the text of the complaint and a case reference for your records (see below). 

Please don’t reply to this email because it’s an automated acknowledgement sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number. 

We’ll normally include the text below in our overnight report to producers and management of all the complaints and other reaction we receive today (with your personal details removed). This means it will reach the right people by tomorrow morning. 

We’ll do our best to reply as soon as we can, but the time needed depends on the nature of your complaint. If we can’t reply as soon as we’d like (usually within 10 working days) we’ll let you know. For full details of our complaints process please visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/.

THEIR SECOND RESPONSE: 20th November

Thanks for contacting the BBC.

This is an update to let you know that we had referred your complaint to the relevant people and regret that it may take a little longer before we can reply. Please do not contact us in the meantime.

Although we reply to most complaints within 2 weeks we cannot achieve this every time. It depends on what your complaint was about and how many others we are handling, or may sometimes be due to more practical issues. For example a production team may already be working on another programme or have gone on location.

Please don’t reply to this email because it’s sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number.

For full details of our complaints process please visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/.

In the meantime thank you for contacting us - we appreciate your patience.

Kind regards

BBC Complaints Team

THEIR THIRD (AND FINAL) RESPONSE: 29th November

Dear Boof,

Thank you for contacting us about BBC Radio Scotland’s ‘Sportsound’ broadcast on 9 November, and please accept our apologies for the delay in responding.

We’re sorry to hear that you felt the programme was poor and that the standard of presenting fell short of your expectations.

We raised your concerns with the programme team and Sport editors who acknowledge your comments and accept the discussion didn’t meet our high standards.

An apology was aired on the programme the following Saturday:

“Before we talk about Hearts and their managerial vacancy, we apologise to Austin MacPhee for the tone and lack of balance during last Saturday's discussion on their search for Craig Levein's successor.”

We hope this helps to allay your concerns, and rest assured your complaint was also forwarded to senior management on our audience feedback report.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback within the BBC and help inform our ongoing work.

Many thanks, once again, for taking the time to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Janine McMeekin

BBC Complaints Team 

Well done. I heard the apology and thought it was a bit feeble to be honest but that's just about what you'd expect from the gobshites Richard Gordon and Willie Miller. 

6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Well done. I heard the apology and thought it was a bit feeble to be honest but that's just about what you'd expect from the gobshites Richard Gordon and Willie Miller. 

I didn't hear it broadcast but read about it on here. I agree with you that it does seem a bit feeble and forced. And, as I said in the complaint, I expect nothing to improve as a result of it.

jack D and coke
On 26/11/2019 at 07:13, Locky said:

Heat of the moment stuff at Falkirk too? 
Man is a ***** and I’m delighted he knows he’ll never be welcome at Tynecastle again by most of the support. 
Imagine burning ten years and his legend status in seconds? 

Roond um :lol: 

29 minutes ago, Boof said:

I didn't hear it broadcast but read about it on here. I agree with you that it does seem a bit feeble and forced. And, as I said in the complaint, I expect nothing to improve as a result of it.

Well done Boof.:thumbs_up:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Man is a ***** and I’m delighted he knows he’ll never be welcome at Tynecastle again by most of the support. 

This

Ex member of the SaS

Will never forgive Pressley for picking up the ball and forcing the ref to over turn a stonewall penalty. It was the icing on the cake after his ( I never kissed a badge ) episode with Celtic.

The Treasurer
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was a feeble apology. But it should affect them in future. 

Stendel coming in too might change their attitude to Hearts. 

Don't bet on it.

I wouldn't put it past them to start doing "hilarious" German impressions

1 hour ago, Boof said:

Very well-said! 

The banter exchanged between Richard Gordon and WIllie Miller is at times cringingly juvenile. At times it's endless giggling and 'willy' jokes, but when loaded rhetoric such as what was broadcast on that particular day, which exposed prejudices held against MacPhee and Hearts, they crossed a different line.

Good on MacPhee too, for deconstructing Allan Preston's lies in that recent press conference:

https://heartstv.heartsfc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/2384 (from about 04:30)

Edited by Hearts_fan

46 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Elvis will always be a Hearts legend only one of a few captains that lifted a trophy for the club.🏆it's only a small amount of fans that can't forgive him.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Crete said:

Elvis will always be a Hearts legend only one of a few captains that lifted a trophy for the club.🏆it's only a small amount of fans that can't forgive him.

:what:

No ex player ever beats his chest and bigs it up in front of that bunch of terrorist supporting scumbags in our place and gets away with being called a Hearts legend whether they lifted a cup or not and if you do then you’re weak. 
Remember when he thought he was too big for managing us too :lol: 

If he’s the legend and only a small amount can’t forgive him then why isn’t he ever back? I can’t think of any player who’s lifted a trophy and spent the best part of their career at this club that just isn’t ever invited back. 
Answer=he ain’t welcome👍🏼

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

:what:

No ex player ever beats his chest and bigs it up in front of that bunch of terrorist supporting scumbags in our place and gets away with being called a Hearts legend whether they lifted a cup or not and if you do then you’re weak. 
Remember when he thought he was too big for managing us too :lol: 

If he’s the legend and only a small amount can’t forgive him then why isn’t he ever back? I can’t think of any player who’s lifted a trophy and spent the best part of their career at this club that just isn’t ever invited back. 
Answer=he ain’t welcome👍🏼

It's coming up to Christmas I thought I would be nice.🎅

I respect your opinion👍

jack D and coke
Just now, Crete said:

It's coming up to Christmas I thought I would be nice.🎅

I respect your opinion👍

Elvis winds me up ill admit :lol: 

Tidings of the season to you too, have a good one :santa3:

On 18/11/2019 at 18:41, 22games nro said:

And willie johnstone unfairly sent off,,,because of cheating provan 💩💩💩💩🥁🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇶🇦

On 25/11/2019 at 19:29, norrie1952 said:

Controversial Elvis said he has never kissed any badge !

Now now steven🛎naughty corner for you my lad ! You did kiss it ,,, even just a wee bitty "👎👎👎🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

On 25/11/2019 at 19:34, Crete said:

Elvis comes over really well on sport sound don't want him as manager,maybe he could do a job as director of football Hearts Legend

🇱🇻🏆

It’s not how he comes over on sports sound it’s how he conducted himself in that Celtic strip is why

i don’t want him near our club