Warnock leaves Cardiff??????

soonbe110

Warnock and McCann? 

Absolutely opposite ends of the spectrum regarding how they would want their team to play. 

No chance you would want that as a double act. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• vegas-voss

• GinRummy

• Beast Boy

25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So, Neil Warnock. I'm on the fence as he could be the short-term motivator we need. Long term, no so sure.

However, he's old-school, loves a big defender up front, likes long ball football and has no medals - pretty much every criticism of Craig Levein. And Warnock has been nowhere near International level as a player or manager, unlike Levein. Has Warnock even played in or managed a team to a cup final? Ever taken a team to the group stages in Europe? Surely the "what have you won?" and "show us your medals" chat applies to Warnock in that case?

Never agreed with the ‘what have you won’ chat aimed at CL. Some criticised him for it but the majority criticised him for results.

Few managers we’ll  be looking at will have international experience. Warnock has had a successful career in England which can’t really be compared to Craig’s (mostly) in Scotland. Just completely different. The cup finals and euro qualification obviously much more difficult down south.

Style of play? As long as it’s effective and gets results nobody will care.

Think the club would be mad not to consider him.

8 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Aye i want Warnock as well. I know he's made his money over a long time in good management jobs but I winder if his bottom line is still too much.

Fair point - he'll surely be wanting more than those already interviewed. Hope it's not more than we can afford.

Folk slagging his style of football off...along with basically every manager  linked with job..everyone is an expert 🤣🤦‍♂️

One thing for sure when manager announces, whoever it is, there will be thread dedicated to having go at manager before his first press conference 🥳

kingantti1874
On 14/11/2019 at 18:42, GinRummy said:

Never agreed with the ‘what have you won’ chat aimed at CL. Some criticised him for it but the majority criticised him for results.

Few managers we’ll  be looking at will have international experience. Warnock has had a successful career in England which can’t really be compared to Craig’s (mostly) in Scotland. Just completely different. The cup finals and euro qualification obviously much more difficult down south.

Style of play? As long as it’s effective and gets results nobody will care.

Think the club would be mad not to consider him.

I think we absolutely do have to care about style of football, we are investing millions in an academy and teaching kids how to play football but at first team level we aren’t looking for any of the skills we are teaching the kids we just want to smash it as Uche?

FFS if we aren’t bothered about trying to play the game properly just shut the academy down and be done with it..  this is a classic example of why Scottish football is absolutely ****ed

Warnock would be an absolute joke.

Edited by kingantti1874

49 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think we absolutely do have to care about style of football, we are investing millions in an academy and teaching kids how to play football but at first team level we aren’t looking for any of the skills we are teaching the kids we just want to smash it as Uche?

FFS if we aren’t bothered about trying to play the game properly just shut the academy down and be done with it..  this is a classic example of why Scottish football is absolutely ****ed

Completely understand your view, particularly regarding the Academy but all I want short term is to win. Of course it’d be great to win playing attractive football but win any way we can for now.

kingantti1874

Putting nail Warnock aside for a second

We are so backward in Scottish football it’s beyond belief, the reasons for our ongoing failure at national level are so obvious but we just keep repeating the same mistakes year after year at every level. 

Edited by kingantti1874

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

As I said earlier I’m with you on Stendel but if that doesn’t happen in the short term I’ll take Warnock.

Win games first then take it from there.

Warnock is ****ing brutal. What is the point of having an academy of players that can pass if we then employ a manager who's only tactic is to smash balls forward at big lumps? This is a man who paid £6m for Gary Madine. Cardiffs player with the most touches in the opposition box was their centre half via his head ffs. 

He is shite. Sure, we'd have the occasional laugh when he went mental but his last year or so at Cardiff was unbelievably bad. Proper shite football without results. 

11 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Warnock is ****ing brutal. What is the point of having an academy of players that can pass if we then employ a manager who's only tactic is to smash balls forward at big lumps? This is a man who paid £6m for Gary Madine. Cardiffs player with the most touches in the opposition box was their centre half via his head ffs. 

He is shite. Sure, we'd have the occasional laugh when he went mental but his last year or so at Cardiff was unbelievably bad. Proper shite football without results. 

He was turning up to a gunfight with a water pistol last season and still nearly kept them up. Clearly a very good manager and players seem to love playing for him. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I dont understand at all. Weve been under Craig Leveins watch for nearly 5 years and his brand of football is eye bleeding too...yet the academy is going from strength to strength. 

Holyrood_Hearts

You have to laugh at people on here turning their nose up at Warnock!! He’d be a far better appointment than everyone  Budge has interviewed so far. 

Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, Homme said:

I dont understand at all. Weve been under Craig Leveins watch for nearly 5 years and his brand of football is eye bleeding too...yet the academy is going from strength to strength. 

Craig is a great guy for bringing youth through, however, he’s no good for first team coaching or managing. 

7 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

Why did he leaf Cardiff? Only one reason is that he’s a crap manager to tell the truth. It’s a no from me, not happening. 

He's a crap manager?? Really 🤔

9 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

Why did he leaf Cardiff? Only one reason is that he’s a crap manager to tell the truth. It’s a no from me, not happening. 

He’d be a tree-mendous appointment.

41 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

Anymore thoughtful inputs you would like to educate us with 🤣😂

42 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

Has admitted himself he couldn’t get over the Sala affair and it affected him with the whole challenge and potential transfer ban. Clearly wants a new start. Imagine selling the club to this boy then he dies tragically on the way over. Sometimes you just need a new start to get over it. 

On 14/11/2019 at 18:09, ToqueJambo said:

So, Neil Warnock. I'm on the fence as he could be the short-term motivator we need. Long term, no so sure.

However, he's old-school, loves a big defender up front, likes long ball football and has no medals - pretty much every criticism of Craig Levein. And Warnock has been nowhere near International level as a player or manager, unlike Levein. Has Warnock even played in or managed a team to a cup final? Ever taken a team to the group stages in Europe? Surely the "what have you won?" and "show us your medals" chat applies to Warnock in that case?

Warnock won the Championship with QPR in 2011 and has won numerous play-off finals and promotions.

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, Homme said:

Is it? Other than hickey who’s come through? If they aren’t playing first team the academy is failing. 

Edited by kingantti1874

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As I said earlier I’m with you on Stendel but if that doesn’t happen in the short term I’ll take Warnock.

Win games first then take it from there.

beginning to think like this as well. Warnock would be decent for a couple of years. Let’s face it we don’t play in LaLiga 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Is it? Other than hickey who’s come through? If they aren’t playing first team the academy is failing. 

Morrison, Irving and Brandon all regulars in first team squad,

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Warnock won the Championship with QPR in 2011 and has won numerous play-off finals and promotions.

Holds the record for the most promotions from, in my opinion, the most competitive league in the world. 

Clearly a talented manager who would very likely do a great job in Scotland as the style of play isn't far off. 

I’d take Warnock,he’d certainly rustle a few feathers and I’d expect him to get what we are all about.He would love it here and I fully expect he’d get us sorted right out 💪

Let's assume whoever we get will (hopefully) have a fair record against the 'weaker' teams. Then it all boils down to how that manager does against the OF. Do you think Warnock would do any worse than most Scottish managers who will go through to Glasgow or even play the OF at home expecting a tanking and hoping for a draw at best? Warnock would relish going through to Glasgow looking for 3 points, you can't ask for any more than that.

I would be happy to give him this season with a view to either continuing as manager or moving to SD with a strong mentoring role if he enjoys being based in Edinburgh and is happy to stay.   

On 14/11/2019 at 20:00, King Kebab said:

It is interesting that Warnock opted to leave Cardiff early, 

but i got the impression that he wanted to retire. 

Warnock has been sacked by Cardiff. 

Neil Harris in already.

SectionDJambo

Personally, I don’t care about the style of football we play, as long as it’s winning football. Be nice to have a bit of aggression and attacking along the way, but this obsession that some have with playing football “the right way” is so Hibs.

How much more exciting is it to see a team play aggressive, attacking football, with players encouraged to take on opponents rather than try to pass round them. 
Warnock, for all his faults, seems to get maximum effort from his teams and they rarely take the field frightened of their opponents.

a safe pair of sells
3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Personally, I don’t care about the style of football we play, as long as it’s winning football. Be nice to have a bit of aggression and attacking along the way, but this obsession that some have with playing football “the right way” is so Hibs.

How much more exciting is it to see a team play aggressive, attacking football, with players encouraged to take on opponents rather than try to pass round them. 
Warnock, for all his faults, seems to get maximum effort from his teams and they rarely take the field frightened of their opponents.

100% correct! I've always felt we're at our best when attacking aggressively, not always pleasing on the eye, but effective & exciting. Lets get back to winning ways and take it from there. Warnock would achieve that I'm sure. Steady the ship, then build for the future.

Whoever gets the gig needs to be willing and able to play the youth. 

We can't stack the team with journeymen and expect to be in a stable financial position. We need lads like Hickey developing as much as possible to enable the club to continually be getting decent transfer fees to allow the club tor reinvest in itself. 

3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Personally, I don’t care about the style of football we play, as long as it’s winning football. 

Until it actually happens 

On 16/11/2019 at 10:27, The Brow said:

Warnock is ****ing brutal. What is the point of having an academy of players that can pass if we then employ a manager who's only tactic is to smash balls forward at big lumps?

Hasn’t that been the situation for the past 2 years with Levein? 

Many still want him in charge of the Academy.

On 16/11/2019 at 10:40, Russ1977 said:

He was turning up to a gunfight with a water pistol last season and still nearly kept them up. Clearly a very good manager and players seem to love playing for him. 

Hes 70 years old. He could play entire games without a midfield as he barely uses them. He's a one trick pony, effective sometimes, yes. 

However, having watched him over the last year its clear he has lost something. He has been massively affected by Sala and looks like he just wants to quit. 

I hope Hearts let him quit. 

19 hours ago, a safe pair of sells said:

100% correct! I've always felt we're at our best when attacking aggressively, not always pleasing on the eye, but effective & exciting. Lets get back to winning ways and take it from there. Warnock would achieve that I'm sure. Steady the ship, then build for the future.

Warnock once said he was interviewed for the Norwich job and was asked if ‘the Norwich fans would accept the Warnock way?’, his response was ‘the warnock way? What, you mean winning?’

He was also slated not long into the season he got Cardiff up into the epl, after 2-3 games without a win it was pointed out that Cardiff had completed the least amount of passes in the league and warnock pointed out that while it was true they had the least amount of passes they also had the most shots on target in the league, so what would people rather watch, loads of 10-15 yard sideways passes or a team that’s direct and gets loads of shots and crosses in?

19 hours ago, OTT said:

Whoever gets the gig needs to be willing and able to play the youth. 

We can't stack the team with journeymen and expect to be in a stable financial position. We need lads like Hickey developing as much as possible to enable the club to continually be getting decent transfer fees to allow the club tor reinvest in itself. 

Interesting...

Will Man City still be looking at Hickey if he moves to an 'out the park for medals' approach or as he did against Rangers cost us a goal but was always looking for the pass to the team mates.

Saying is meant to be 'short term pain long term gain'

Would Warnock appt lead to opposite?

Could a chalk and cheese manager, sporting director approach work?

Cue dozens of examples of clubs that have moved on long term as soon as War ock leaves and all the youth players he has improved.....

Warnock would be an incredible appointment. All this dinosaur chat and football has moved on is bollocks. It’s a simple game but people need to be inspired to play and Warnock certainly does that. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Warnock would be an incredible appointment. All this dinosaur chat and football has moved on is bollocks. It’s a simple game but people need to be inspired to play and Warnock certainly does that. 

:spoton:

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Agreed. People making out the state of Scottish football is our fault.

I don't give a feck about the overall state of Scottish football, that's the SFA's lookout. If Hearts are winning games, the rest can do one.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Agreed. People making out the state of Scottish football is our fault.

I don't give a feck about the overall state of Scottish football, that's the SFA's lookout. If Hearts are winning games, the rest can do one.

Exactly. The SFA don’t give a shiny shite about any team outside the uglies.

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

There does appear to be an element of the younger managers lacking man management skills and focusing entirely on tactics and stats which is ultimately useless if the players won't play for you.

I'd probably accept Warnock provided Austin moved upstairs. I suspect working with no resources of note (compared to down south) might be an interesting challenge a guy like Warnock would revel in.